• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Petitioning Nintendo: Develop a Gamecube controller style Wii U controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah the pad was horrid. I usually use default for all my controls in games, but assuming that smash 4 will have costume controllers ill probably have to map the buttons differently since I also jump with X. Then again maybe not since the location of the X button will allow me to freely move from X>A, eliminating the need for clawing for frame perfect movement. There are some positives and some negatives about the controller, but I think it'll be fine.
What if I told you you didn't need to use any of the 4 face buttons allowing you to always rest your thumb on the 2nd control stick without ever needing to move it and that you could have frame perfect movements on every single action, even some that you couldn't have frame perfect movement in the GC.

How would that make you feel about the controller?

What if I told you you didn't need to use any of the 4 face buttons allowing you to always rest your thumb on the 2nd control stick without ever needing to move it and that you could have frame perfect movements on every single action, even some that you couldn't have frame perfect movement in the GC.

How would that make you feel about the controller?

Well, yeah that's cool, but I like using face buttons. I've never been big on using triggers besides in shooters to be honest, great though for people who want to play that way though. I've always been a default guy. I can;t tell you how irritating it is for someone to have to stop te progression of the game to install his/her special control scheme into the game while everyone else waits. I don't wanna be that guy.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well, yeah that's cool, but I like using face buttons. I've never been big on using triggers besides in shooters to be honest, great though for people who want to play that way though. I've always been a default guy. I can;t tell you how irritating it is for someone to have to stop te progression of the game to install his/her special control scheme into the game while everyone else waits. I don't wanna be that guy.
I understand, everyone has their own preferences and the more people that are pleased, the merrier. I do wish Nintendo releases the GC remake, but I probably won't buy it unless it is wired (or it also has inward clickable control sticks).

Anyways, I am afraid the boat has already sailed on me changing control schemes since I main ICs in Brawl and pressing the Z button on the GC gives me cramps, which is why I always change it to R.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Well all of this makes sense. Still...I am always up for change if it potentially betters our favorite games. But I will still love Gamecube controllers

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

You know, I do believe Sakurai once said something about being able to download or edit control schemes into your DS version and then uploading them to other Wii U's.

That has me thinking. With the new Wii U Pro, I believe a lot of people will want to change their control schemes to fit their playstyle and as you pointed out, it is annoying to destroy the tourneys tempo and make people wait. It will be even worse when most people have to do it instead of only one or 2 entrants.

So, what if, when you arrive to sign up, you are handed a DS to enter your name and control scheme. After every participant has signed in then you can just upload the player names/control schemes from the DS to every Wii U by synching it with each Wii U. (this would be done after sign ups are closed but before starting the tournament)

This way every time a player sits down to play a match, all he has to do is search for his name which will already have his controls. I think it makes the process much simpler, what do you guys think?

(I might be derailing the topic a bit, is that allowed?)

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I told you I tried the only controllers in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (a game made by the same developer as Smash WiiU) and NEW Super Mario Bros. U, and the CC Pro and Pro Controller were just not as comfortable to use. In smash, that is an even bigger deal to me then than in those games, because it is both a platformer and a fighting game.
Also, people griped about this before Brawl came out. Are you suggesting we should have waited for GameCube controller support after we tried the Wiimote, Wiimote with Nunchucks, and Classic Controller=??? Because quite frankly, that's stupid. Why buy an inferior and more expensive product?
Irrelevant that namco did tekken2. And I told you that I care about your personal opinion, made up before you even tried it out, as much as Nintendo probably does. I'm not talking about what you liked for tekken2 or whatever. What if I found 10 people saying the opposite, that they loved the controller for super mario and tekken, would you accept that as some form of proof? You are one guy. What I said remains. We can not know untill after the game is released. If the majoirty, or atleast a big enough group to warrant a g-cube controller, is dissapointed by the wiiu pro controller or not. We just can't, no matther how many times you state how you feel about it and guess that every one will feel the same.
People didn't gripe about this for Brawl. Brawl was intended to use the g-cube controller from the start, was announced very early. As said before, it had no real contestent to a classic core home console controller.
I have a hard time seeing Nintendo being taken seriously if they ignore the request of their most loyal gamers on a console that seems doomed to lose to the technologically all-around superior PS4 that clearly has more originality and passion put into it, and the Xbox One might pass the WiiU swiftly as well.
Yes every post you make makes it very apparent that you dislike Nintendo. Stop letting that clouden our discussion. Ignore the request form their most loyal customers? Loyal customers that ask for something because they "think" something they haven't tried wont suffice. What if people first of try with the pro controller, wich they probably already own one, and think it is good? So they wont go buy the g-cube one they pettetitioned for. I said Nintendo wont take it seriously and explained why I think so. You failed to answer me why they should. Because you disliked the wiiu pro controller for tekken? Because you think this pettetition has 500 000 signs? Comparing smash with other fighting games when discussing controlls is really not working for me. Personally I use D-pad for regular fighting games. Never felt a need for that in smash. They are vastly different games and controll vastly different.
Not if people hate it, can't get used to it, and sell the game and controllers back like they did with DKC Returns on the Wii. Heck, some people buy the console for Smash. I know well over a dozen people who sold their Wii and Wii library because they hated Brawl (I almost did that, until I found out about Brawl mods). Imagine if that happened with Smash WiiU, but instead, you tack on controller issues as well. That has the potential to be a gigantic disaster.
Wow, you really just wan't to argue me for the sake of arguing don't you. "Still, it could be profitable. Nintendo have released quite poor gimicky things before. If they managed to pull this off as "pleasing the customers begging for a g-cube version for smash, after being dissapointed by pro controller" they could get away with it thou.". How can you disagree with my quote there? I say its possible, you argue me by saying its possible that it might fait.... Ofcourse it is, that's why I used the word "possible"!!!

Lastly you failed to quote and answer this: "I realise we disagree here. But do you atleast see my point why I think the petetition is to early and might lose its impact because of it?".
Is it so damn hard to view something in another way than your own? :)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You know, I do believe Sakurai once said something about being able to download or edit control schemes into your DS version and then uploading them to other Wii U's.

That has me thinking. With the new Wii U Pro, I believe a lot of people will want to change their control schemes to fit their playstyle and as you pointed out, it is annoying to destroy the tourneys tempo and make people wait. It will be even worse when most people have to do it instead of only one or 2 entrants.

So, what if, when you arrive to sign up, you are handed a DS to enter your name and control scheme. After every participant has signed in then you can just upload the player names/control schemes from the DS to every Wii U by synching it with each Wii U. (this would be done after sign ups are closed but before starting the tournament)

This way every time a player sits down to play a match, all he has to do is search for his name which will already have his controls. I think it makes the process much simpler, what do you guys think?

(I might be derailing the topic a bit, is that allowed?)
Button checking has never been that big of a deal in fighting game tournaments and everyone accepts it as par for the course. Smash, normally, wouldn't have this problem if single matches didn't take up to a maximum of eight minutes as opposed to a traditional fighting game's maximum time of five minutes. However, this has to do more with the game itself than the number of tournament players.

On a side note, Skullgirls will be implementing a feature where when a player pulls out a controller after a match, it immediately goes to button check. It also uses what Capcom needs to get on board with. They give you the list of functions you can perform and you just go to that command and press the button to do it. It's a very quick method of setting your buttons.

Yes every post you make makes it very apparent that you dislike Nintendo. Stop letting that clouden our discussion. Ignore the request form their most loyal customers? Loyal customers that ask for something because they "think" something they haven't tried wont suffice. What if people first of try with the pro controller, wich they probably already own one, and think it is good? So they wont go buy the g-cube one they pettetitioned for. I said Nintendo wont take it seriously and explained why I think so. You failed to answer me why they should. Because you disliked the wiiu pro controller for tekken? Because you think this pettetition has 500 000 signs? Comparing smash with other fighting games when discussing controlls is really not working for me. Personally I use D-pad for regular fighting games. Never felt a need for that in smash. They are vastly different games and controll vastly different.
Honestly, people should pushing more for wired controllers than for a controller that could be in middle school right now. People need to just move on from the GC controller already. Up until the Wii, controllers were never forward compatible. The GC controller was the first time this had ever happened. Considering how notoriously conservative Nintendo fans can be, now we're seeing some backlash to getting rid of it.

At this point, we need to be pushing for WIRED controllers more than anything else. Someone will eventually make a wired GC styled controller for all the complainers, but we need wired controllers more than anything else, except for removing region locks which is another topic altogether.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I've pretty much have gotten used to the GCN controller since the early Melee days. That said, assuming there are no GCN-like controllers for Wii U (whether from Nintendo themselves, or from some third party), I'll be willing to get used to using the Wii U Pro Controller. I'll just have to get used to what I believe is the C-stick being located near the upper right hand portion of the controller.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wired and wireless controllers are the wave of the future, and Nintendo needs to catch up, instead of derping down.
Yes every post you make makes it very apparent that you dislike Nintendo.
Yes, I have over 11,000 posts on this fan site for a Nintendo game and I hate Nintendo.

Yep.

I'm merely pointing out that Nintendo's WiiU plan was less planned out, intelligent, and carefully crafted as Sony's PS4 strategy. Nintendo's region-locking, lack of keeping up with the times, and seemingly poor infrastructure could be the death of them. I'd rather they fix that and survive, the same way I would have rather Microsoft fix the Xbox One (which they did, sans the independent gaming thing) and improve rather than have the Xbox One die.
Ignore the request form their most loyal customers? Loyal customers that ask for something because they "think" something they haven't tried wont suffice. What if people first of try with the pro controller, wich they probably already own one, and think it is good?
Well maybe if they listened to their loyal customers the WiiU wouldn't have sold about as many units as the freaking Sham-wow.

As for the new controller, I did this thing you called "thinking," I used spell check, I tried the controller for fighting games and platform games (both genres of which I consider smash to be a part of), and I didn't like the controllers' feel. You know, maybe you should just accept my opinion on that, instead of telling me "no, you're wrong." Well dang, how do I know I won't prefer the freaking Atari Jaguar glove in Smash until I try it=??? By your logic, I have to try every control scheme possible, and even then, until I choose the control scheme you defend, I AM WRONG!

As for the controller, like I said, more options don't hurt. I'm an options freak with video games; I want a ton of them. That's why I love PC gaming (you can mod the hell out of games to play it your way), why I love Smash Bros. (tons of modes, characters, items, stages, play styles, ways to win, options, etc), and why I would love it for Nintendo to reintroduce the GameCube controller. Seriously, the Wiimote and Nunchuck can be played like an awkward NES and N64 controller, the Classic Controller is a SNES controller with joysticks and more buttons, and the Pro Controller is a white Xbox 360 controller with a weird stick position (that I kinda like). Oh, and they got the WiiU Pad, too.... and kinda sorta the Wii's Classic Controller.

Considering all that, how would ONE MORE CONTROLLER kill them=??? Why wouldn't it make money with a bundle=??? It is not like Nintendo is saying "oh, the Pro Controller sucks," but rather "hey! we got a new cool controller on top of our fairly new Pro Controller! Try them both!"

But still... the biggest issue is the controllers can't be played via wired and wireless controllers. That's a gigantic fail on Nintendo's part.

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
I got a chance to stay at my little cousins house, and play his WiiU for a week. WiiUPro Controller is so sexy.... besides the fact that the triggers will make tilting shields ********, seeing fingerprints all over the the thing, changing thumbstick locations that the entire planet has been used to for years...

Besides all that, GREAT CONTROLLER!

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I, like John, am an options freak. I am just asking if asking for one more controller is really more than we should ask for (at this point). Right now I feel like what Nintendo should ultimately be worrying about is making more games. I am not at all saying that they do not have the mans to work on a controller too, but the more good games they come out with, the better the console will do. They have lost third party support from some companies already, so they should work their asses off to get more work done in terms of the game department. After they have a firm and fun game library for the WiiU, they should work on a Gamecube-like controller for the WiiU if there is enough demand for it. I just feel like there need to be priorities, and working on this controller should not be one of them at this point in the WiiU's life.

But John brings up a good point; so many of their controllers are like throwback controllers now.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think something people haven't considered yet is that Brawl was created around the GC controlle which is a reason other controllers don't work as good on it and why the second sticks aren't as responsive as the C-Stick, yes that right after doing some testing I can safe for sure that the C-Stick is even more responsive in Brawl then a second stick on a CCP (try doing a advancing Fair, retreating Bair, and Dtilt all in one go with Marth using the C-Stick of the GCC and and then the second stick of the CCP and there is a difference in responsiveness). However due to the Wii-U not support GCCs it is liekly that Smash 4 will be based around one of the Pro Controllers and thus actually work fine. :/

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I think the responsiveness goes back to the simple argument of needing wired controllers. Controllers that are wired simply have better response times (especially since response times on wireless controllers go down as the battery life lowers from my experience). Even without wired controllers I would enjoy the games, but Nintendo has had the goal of EXPANDING their audience, not ignoring the audience that has been there to chase casuals. I feel like, in practice, they have abandoned us earlier to chase casuals. But making a wired controller would be simple, or at least doing what Microsoft and Sony have been and allowing for the option. Options. Because options.

Options. I think options are important. It is part of why we love Smash Bros (and can even play at the level of competition we do now). Options are fun and allow me to enjoy the game how I want to, or in as many different ways as I'd like to.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think the responsiveness goes back to the simple argument of needing wired controllers. Controllers that are wired simply have better response times (especially since response times on wireless controllers go down as the battery life lowers from my experience). Even without wired controllers I would enjoy the games, but Nintendo has had the goal of EXPANDING their audience, not ignoring the audience that has been there to chase casuals. I feel like, in practice, they have abandoned us earlier to chase casuals. But making a wired controller would be simple, or at least doing what Microsoft and Sony have been and allowing for the option. Options. Because options.

Options. I think options are important. It is part of why we love Smash Bros (and can even play at the level of competition we do now). Options are fun and allow me to enjoy the game how I want to, or in as many different ways as I'd like to.
Except I have a wirless GCC and it is just as responsive as a wired GCC. That is the truth, I was able to do that little Marth tech with both of the GCCs yet not with the CCP. Brawl's main control scheme is the GCC and was built around the GCC. Ofc I would prefer a wired one because it is less to deal with but being wireless or wired doesn't affect responiveness. Which is why it should be considered that Brawl was based around the GCC and that was the main reason other controls aren't quite as responsive. However Smash 4 doesn't have the option of GCC right now so I would expect Smash 4 to not be built around the GCC this time but instead the Wii-U Pro and thus responsiveness shouldn't be a problem because of this.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
being wireless or wired doesn't affect responiveness.
The only reason this is wrong is because battery life, especially if low, can affect responsiveness. At full battery life, you are correct, but beyond that, it gets worse based on my experience (even outside of Melee).

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The only reason this is wrong is because battery life, especially if low, can affect responsiveness. At full battery life, you are correct, but beyond that, it gets worse based on my experience (even outside of Melee).
I've never had that problem. o.o

Get better batteries? lol

I think it's possible that making another GC controller at minimal loss if Nintendo stopped pushing out some products that are currently aren't being purchased, such as the Wii Motion Plus. Considering that almost all Wiimotes now are built in with one now it doesn't seem necessary. There are also ery few games that use the Wii motion plus, and off the top of my head I can only name Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort. They could even make less of the Wii Vitality sensor, something i've never seen anyone really use. I'm guessing the money they save from minimizing production of those products could lend themselves towards making another controller.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it is a battery thing personally. I am not the only person I know with this problem. It may just be...well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

Anyways...about the Wii Motion Plus, I think that may be more necessary...but I haven't heard of the Vitality Sensor. At least not since E3 two or three years ago. I see what you are saying, but I really don't know if it is necessary still. I am gonna be skeptical about this controller until I see enough demand for it. So far that pro controller seems to work fine from what I have heard.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Gotta say you practically miss every point I make and go on rambling about different things.

Example of nonsense and things Im not at all talking about wich you seem to think I do:
"the controll scheme you defend"... Ops, hold it there!
I don't defend any control scheme. All Im talking about is this petetition and that it might lose impact when it's sent in far earlier than the game is about to be released. Since no one has tried smash with the already available similar option to gc-controller. (I know you kinda have with tekken and platfromers, but again, keep in mind Im talking about this petetition and how Nintendo will recieve it. Not what you think about the controller in generall. Or do you think Nintendo goes "ofcourse all names on here have tried the pro controller in tekken and in platformers, they know exactly how it is for smash". What I'm saying Is all about this petetition and how it will get as much recognition as possible).

You come of as you think Im against the gc-controller and for the WiiU one. That's where you are lost. Try to get this. I'll gladly sign a petetition if I feel the difference is to big, but then I want to sign a petetition I think might have a chance. This one at this time doesn't, in my opinion. And you have yet to change my opinion about that, since you just go on rambling about completly other things and never say anything about this.

You claim that I'm saying that you are "wrong" in your feelings about the wiiU pro controller. How the **** can your personal opinion about what controller YOU prefer be wrong? All I said close to this is "how can people know when they haven't tried (since the two discussed options are so similar)". You say that playing Tekken and platformers with wiiU pro is enough for you to descide, so then so be it. I wouldn't do this myself since I have no clue how smash4 will control or how the new controller or gc-controller will work with it. But it is up to you if you feel confident knowing before trying. You can descide to write your name up here if you feel it is enough. Still, this is not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about what effect the petetition will have this early on and if it might be wasted doing it this soon.

Don't see how WiiU's failure has anything to do with this petetition either? (again something I don't even know how got in to our discussion and how you can say it like it's something I have argued against? The WiiU is a failure so far. And mainly because it released without any strong titles. And no mayor Nintendo franchise title at all. No one can deny this, and it will probably stay like this untill (in the least) Mario Kart is out).

Can't see the logic in binging up Atari Glove either, just getting silly. Atari Glove is as close, to filling the same functions a gamecube controller fills, as the wiiu pro controller is?..
And finally I can't see why you would need to like Nintendo just because you like smash bros?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Here is what I am talking about:
1) The marketing aspect, wich you brought up. You made one point regarding this, I found it rather vague thou. "Considering all that, how would ONE MORE CONTROLLER kill them"Couldn't this be made as a counter argument aswell? They have so many controllers, releasing yet another (that even fills the same exact role as one they already have) would hurt them even more. If you think the business aspect of selling more hard ware is so easy, why don't we see every console, pushing out as many controllers as they possibly can?

2) This petetitions effect and if it realy is the right time to make it or send it in. You haven't said anything about this.

So be free to answer these two points only or lets just agree to disagree.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
The Classic Controller Pro has some more buttons. So what if the game has some more moves that you can't do with a GCN controller meaning you can't use it?

Mjolnir/Hunter101

Smash Cadet
NNID
ryfennn
personally id love a wiiu pro controller shaped and laid out like Gamecube one, mostly since i would love to play all my games with it and not just smash. the thing just feels so comfortable-i feel Nintendo should have just kept the general shape all these years.
i want to love the wiiu standard pro, but the right side layout just isnt comfortable to me for any game, Smash or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom