• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perth Video Thread

Alzi

Smash Master
Theres only 3 people in Australia who can actually use Metaknight properly.

Vlade will there be recording next tourney?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
from an American perspective I say, and I'm sure toby shaya and ted agree with me, that no one in aus knows how to use meta properly, no offense to anyone.

Pete278

Smash Lord
From a Japanese perspective, nobody in the rest of the world knows how to play fighting games.

Whoo, glad we got that argument out of the way. ;)

Richard7

Smash Ace
Lol at how bad I played during that tournament. Gotta love it when you push forward B but it uses Up B.... thats what happened on Lylat Cruise. Oh but wait, no johns! Seriously though, there's a difference between an excuse and a reason, learn it. Wasn't very happy after that set. Moving into attacks ftl...

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
difference is that we are more of less a part of the American scene, we are on an American smash website, using American strats and observations, and some of us have played in America, and some of the Americans have played here.

so the japanese point, whilst being very valid, also isnt at the same time.

Pete278

Smash Lord
To be fair, I'm not using American strats. I'm using basic logic when it comes to my character. The Falcon boards here is the most chaotic forum ever.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
sure basic logic applies but things like DI, an american technique.
me? I use dthrow tech chasing, an american technique, grenade stripping and grenade grabs, american techniques, stuff like that, you'd be using stuff without realising it imo.

True Romance

Smash Ace
Wow, DI is seen as being an American thing?

Learn new things every day I guess.

I hope to get some matches of mine recorded next tourney, so fingers crossed I make it far enough so people can actually be bothered recording them :D

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
what I'm saying is all the advances in the metagame we use were done in america, and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure di falls into that catorgory.

fun fact, the first people to ever momentum cancel in an Australia tournament, were me and rein, as we had been watching cpu's airdodge and live longer so we started doing the same.

ahh the very first ever brawl tourney... we were all so nub...

Pete278

Smash Lord
sure basic logic applies but things like DI, an american technique.
me? I use dthrow tech chasing, an american technique, grenade stripping and grenade grabs, american techniques, stuff like that, you'd be using stuff without realising it imo.
I was using DI when I first started playing in 4 player free for all games. Its not an American technique, its something that no one can claimed to have discovered because almost everyone did it first.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Nice thought Pete_ I know i used to DI and eventually L cancel without ever having heard of the terms, but merely doing them out of personal development_ That said, having these techs posted on forums always helps to develop the metagame faster and allows players to develop necessary skills to play competitively_

Alzi it's a shame that our matches weren't recorded as they were pretty epic_ Vlade when i get a proper internet connection i will just grab the footage off you to compress and upload them for you_

Sieg

Smash Champion
LOL.

DI an American technique? Oh wow. Bit too much love for America there.

The only reason that most techniques are American is because of the bigger community, that's all. That being said, not using "American" (More like advanced) Techniques is silly.

In relation to your suggestion that Japan thinks everyone doesn't know how to play fighting games, it's true. Every country has a different metagame, and you'll see different playstyles in each game. High level Japanese FG Metagame, is to win. Through any means necessary. They are point A to point B.

Whereas America play more flashy, and try bolder things. Sure, it may not work some of the time, but it's the way the community has been created. That being said, that doesn't mean that Japan is the bee all and end all of the Fighting game community.

Heck, HumanBomb(Aus best at SF4 atm) was over in Japan a little while ago schooling high up ***'s in the arcade.

So while they may think they are the best, it doesn't necessarily mean they are.

Browny

Smash Hater
I would have thought the japanese try to be more flashy. their fox's, sonic's etc are so fast its crazy lol, its not always a good thing though. then to coutner that, their snakes, pits, falcos are sooo campy :/

Sieg

Smash Champion
My aspect is more of a fighting games in general point of view, prolly not as focused on Smash as it prolly should be.

But still, go watch a *** melee Fox and tell me it's flashy lol.

On the camping, it's just a different way for them to get to point A to B. It's still (within that character) probably the best way to play it. (IN THEIR METAGAME)

Pete278

Smash Lord
Looking at, say, Third Strike, in Japan, they have a sort of equal mix of flashy and turtley. Kuroda is a good example of that, mostly because he's probably the best in Japan. He'll sit back and force an approach, and will punish with huge and awesome to watch combos and rushdown. Its flashy when it needs to be, and serious when it needs to be.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
LOL.

DI an American technique? Oh wow. Bit too much love for America there.

The only reason that most techniques are American is because of the bigger community, that's all. That being said, not using "American" (More like advanced) Techniques is silly.

In relation to your suggestion that Japan thinks everyone doesn't know how to play fighting games, it's true. Every country has a different metagame, and you'll see different playstyles in each game. High level Japanese FG Metagame, is to win. Through any means necessary. They are point A to point B.

Whereas America play more flashy, and try bolder things. Sure, it may not work some of the time, but it's the way the community has been created. That being said, that doesn't mean that Japan is the bee all and end all of the Fighting game community.

well I dont know if you've been to japan or whatever, but I'm played in America as I'm sure you know and I have to say that "High level Japanese FG Metagame, is to win. Through any means necessary. They are point A to point B." is a perfect discription of how Americans play for the most part. they have no honor, fairness or decency, they play uber gay and will do anything to win and you want to punch them.

as for DI, I didnt so much mean like di di, I meant momentum cancelling to survive longer and all that ****, sigh di is such a misused term and now I look like an idiot.

but whatever di was just an example I pick, the fact is that we play using an American metagame, there is no if's or buts, you do use it and if you disagree you are a nob, to put in bluntly.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I'll agree with you there, because America is the closest thing we have to a sister community of sorts.

However I do believe it is spelled knob lol.

True Romance

Smash Ace
Fingers crossed Vlade has recorded my set against him, Ric and Corpse. Wanna get them picked apart lol. You'll be proud of me Jupperz, I used D3 against corpse :p

Vlade

Social Outcast
You can't expect me to just upload the vids just like that lol, it takes time to synch commentary, encode and upload

I'll do grand finals and winner's finals today if I get time

I'm not uploading my set against Samuel, I didn't play properly at all the whole day, you can even ask him yourself >_>

True Romance

Smash Ace
Sorry if it came off as me rushing ya, I was just saying I hope those sets worked out :) Take your time man, I've never had any matches of myself in tourney recorded before so I'm glad I'm gonna have something that can be critiqued.

Alzi

Smash Master
I do so well first stock against samuel then my other two stocks is where i start getting *****. If i do not fix this i am going to grab someones mother. lol.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Happens to me too

Basically it usually goes very even first stock, but then he goes to like 200% and I'm still fishing for kills and I just get further and further behind simply coz falco doesn't have a waft or utilt

Or I'm just trying to kill too much and getting impatient

Technodeath

Smash Champion
Happens to me too

Basically it usually goes very even first stock, but then he goes to like 200% and I'm still fishing for kills and I just get further and further behind simply coz falco doesn't have a waft or utilt

Or I'm just trying to kill too much and getting impatient
i suggest ganondorf! every move kills.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Sigh wish i hadn't gotten you to fix that link lol_ Horrible and shameful matches_ All i can say is wtf was i thinking_ Either way, it's been great to get alot more solid Shiek practice against you Vlade, you've definitely helped build my confidence in this matchup_

Top Bottom