• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People trusting "leaks?" WHY?

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Ken actually has the same style as Ultimate Ryu. Count the polygons on the gi. It's less than Smash 4 Ryu, but matches Ultimate Ryu. It's not a mod of an existing model.
Light-model interaction looks pretty off to me. Even ignoring that though, see my more recent post. I don't buy this picture for a second

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
As someone who hates leaks with a burning passion, it's probably because if a "credible" leaker says a character that a lot of people really want to be in is in then they'll believe them just because it gives them what they want. Back in the Smash 4 days I'm ashamed to admit that I believed a few leaks from people saying Ridley was playable even after the "more boss characters will be appearing" thing (yes I was that gullible). So while I absolutely despise it, I can understand why people want to believe in them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still think the Ken image could be real.

Not that I really care much - I'm not interested in Street Fighter, though I don't care if Ken's in - but with all the consistencies, things people used to try and debunk it just making it seem more real, I'm keeping it in mind.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
things people used to try and debunk it just making it seem more real, I'm keeping it in mind.
I'm not sure how something like a blatant tilt in the alignment of the character portraits makes it seem more real :rotfl: but y'all do y'all!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm not sure how something like a blatant tilt in the alignment of the character portraits makes it seem more real :rotfl: but y'all do y'all!
It's the lighting bug, the scene being recreated in the demo looking the same, and the stage having no ink and yet perfectly detailed space where the ink should be. Even the Pichu render ended up pointing to it being real when "debunkers" and such analyzed it, with its differences from even E3's render which is different from the website's, and it being moved a bit to the left in the portrait space.

The timer could be something to do with the monitor or the programming; in fact, the characters and the stage itself are off when compared to the timer, as they align with the portraits, so I dunno. I have noticed the timer seems tilted in gameplay, though granted it's only tilted a bit...

I'm not saying it's definitely real, though I feel like it could be, and with the discussion involving different points surrounding this leak, I just feel like keeping it in mind.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I don't belive in leaks/rumors unless they are real

Last edited:

JT_KiNGLY

Smash Rookie
People who are drawn in by leaks are either hungry to get their hands on info regardless of it's merit or they are so desperate for their wishes to come true they'll cling to whatever they can find as reassurance. No one is at fault, it's a highly anticipated game and the hype alone can carry once completely irrelevant people up high on it's coat tails. It's just pivotal to remember that it's anyone's guess until more info is revealed or the game launches, take all non official sources with a grain of salt as there really is no such thing as a 100% credible leaker.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
A lot of leaks are just clickbait-y bull**** anyway. They either just want their views and likes or they just ruin it for the rest of everybody when the creators tell them not to. How do people get these things anyway? Like? Where do they come from? Do these leaker just physically manifest themselves in cyberspace and say “heya lookie here! A blurry pic of...fire cat from poke man beating up a child! Wow such a special picture this is! Idk if it’s real or not, but I’m saying it is because it’s coming from me!”

I’m just mad. I just want the game.

Just for one last bit of food for thought on this allegedly infallible leak, I went ahead and tilted the image to make the screen flush with the set, refer to the time and such.

The portraits don't line up, like, not even remotely close. This is a well done fake, but they messed up their fundamentals. NEXT PLEASE

Actually, it’s lined up just fine, but I can see why you would think it isn’t.

The transparency on Ken’s Icon color makes it hard to discern the actual distance between each character name and icon; you focus on just his head. Upon further analysis you can see and compare the distance beteen the colored edge of the portrait to the main character icon directly to the left of it. It’s hard to make out due to packmans foot making the icon hidden, but you can eyeball it, and make judgement distances between numbers etc.

it’s incemetrical because of the games design.

Occam’s Razer - the simplest solution tends to be the correct one.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Verg has been accurate on everything he's claimed, aside from Isabelle being an echo, but no one knew what to think of Isabelle in that short trailer, so I can let that one pass. He also has a reliable source, as he leaked the TMNT in Injustice and things for other games too. It's ok to hate leakers, but he's called too much stuff from this game and others correctly, to dismiss them just because you don't like what they are saying is a bit...ignorant lol

I believe what he claims but I hope there are some characters he still doesn't know about, I believe he missed K.Rool?

All of these other leaks with Incineroar and Ken + other popular choices are just bored kids piggybacking off of his claims, its so sad that a bunch of youtubers try to cover every leak when they for the most part sound super fake/claim the same things, and its even worse that people actually give those people views...xD

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Verg has been accurate on everything he's claimed, aside from Isabelle being an echo, but no one knew what to think of Isabelle in that short trailer, so I can let that one pass. He also has a reliable source, as he leaked the TMNT in Injustice and things for other games too. It's ok to hate leakers, but he's called too much stuff from this game and others correctly, to dismiss them just because you don't like what they are saying is a bit...ignorant lol

I believe what he claims but I hope there are some characters he still doesn't know about, I believe he missed K.Rool?

All of these other leaks with Incineroar and Ken + other popular choices are just bored kids piggybacking off of his claims, its so sad that a bunch of youtubers try to cover every leak when they for the most part sound super fake/claim the same things, and its even worse that people actually give those people views...xD
Yeah exactly, although Vergeben’s word isn’t gospel and he can get something wrong, to completely dismiss him because he’s a leaker or says something you don’t like is very ignorant.
And yeah he missed K. Rool, and I believe every echo that’s been revealed so far (correct me if I’m wrong)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah exactly, although Vergeben’s word isn’t gospel and he can get something wrong, to completely dismiss him because he’s a leaker or says something you don’t like is very ignorant.
And yeah he missed K. Rool, and I believe every echo that’s been revealed so far (correct me if I’m wrong)
Yeah. Verge has missed K. Rool as well as every Echo currently revealed. He is not the end all be all when it comes to newcomers.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
because they can?

who cares. if they enjoy speculating, let them.
Well, see, I like being able to go to the General Discussion thread and not have to wade through 10 pages of people being idiots about the newest fake leak.

This problem was solved by the Leak Thread, but nope, that was too good to last apparently.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Actually, it’s lined up just fine, but I can see why you would think it isn’t.

The transparency on Ken’s Icon color makes it hard to discern the actual distance between each character name and icon; you focus on just his head. Upon further analysis you can see and compare the distance beteen the colored edge of the portrait to the main character icon directly to the left of it. It’s hard to make out due to packmans foot making the icon hidden, but you can eyeball it, and make judgement distances between numbers etc.

it’s incemetrical because of the games design.

Occam’s Razer - the simplest solution tends to be the correct one.
I'm not sure what Occam's Razor has to do with this, but I don't think what you said is correct. I am referring to the alignment of each portrait relative to the other portraits. Rotating the image, such that the television screen is upright with its edges flush with the image, results in the portraits trailing on an upward tilt. It is so prevalent that the furthest left gets cut from the screen. The vertical distance between each portrait and the bottom of the image is inconsistent, as though they are lined up on some other axis.

Edit: I've gone ahead and edited the image to illustrate this. This is not debatable dawg, look at the lines.
Occam's Razor. The lines don't line up. Doesn't take very many assumptions. :rolleyes:
20181019_095838.jpg

Last edited:

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
Because some people are dumb and believe anything they see on the internet.
When in reality if Sakurai conformed it or shown it that’s when these dummies who believe the leaks are real will think oh they were fake all along. Genius!

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
For me, seeing leaks gets more of a "that'd be cool" situation more than anything, because I don't believe anything until it happens. Simon was the talked about leak character, and the newcomer I expected most, but it was still a huge surprise to see that he was truly in the game! I don't feel like the leaks spoiled it.
They also help me kill time. This is the main reason I bother with the leak speculation and stuff. I'm always hungry for more Smash Ultimate. I only watch leak speculation from PapaGenos too, he's one of the only good, genuine channels on the topic.
They also give me time to prepare for the worst (box theory, which I don't believe, Steve, which I'll hope is wrong). Lastly, they allow me to think of certain scenarios. It wasn't until the Dante leak that I realized he's one of the characters I'd really like to see.

As I said, I don't believe anything until it's confirmed. Unless it's something huge and gets spread everywhere and spoiled (like the whole character select in Smash 4), leaks don't really upset me. The way things are now, picture leaks and whatnot are only found if you look for them.

I'm not sure what Occam's Razor has to do with this, but I don't think what you said is correct. I am referring to the alignment of each portrait relative to the other portraits. Rotating the image, such that the television screen is upright with its edges flush with the image, results in the portraits trailing on an upward tilt. It is so prevalent that the furthest left gets cut from the screen. The vertical distance between each portrait and the bottom of the image is inconsistent, as though they are lined up on some other axis.

Edit: I've gone ahead and edited the image to illustrate this. This is not debatable dawg, look at the lines.
Occam's Razor. The lines don't line up. Doesn't take very many assumptions. :rolleyes:
Occam’s razer literally means what it says. The simplest explanation is the right one.

So, you’re saying it doesn’t add up, because the picture was taken at an angle? you’re kidding, right?

I don’t think the person had the time to get us a quality photo. if you’re going to be descrete, why do all that.

also, your lines aren’t exactly lining up, as I can see more of the portraits expose from the bottom as it goes up.

Lol I don’t know what you’re seeing, but if thats your only proof of discrediting it when every single other thing looks normal; as if you would have taken s picture of the game, then you’re being ridiculous.

I mean, I’ll look at the image again, but I don’t know what you’re seeing honestly.

Lol dude, I looked again. Look in the bottom right corner of the picture, it shows the corner of when the screen is cut off from the actual television. Look at it from a white back ground.

Either you’re looking too hard, or not hard enough.

Well, see, I like being able to go to the General Discussion thread and not have to wade through 10 pages of people being idiots about the newest fake leak.

This problem was solved by the Leak Thread, but nope, that was too good to last apparently.
then find something else to do?

why would you even want to look through 10 pages?

scrolling through a forum with a mouse or phone is one of the least labor intensive things you can do, so just do it?

you don’t have to be a **** about it.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Occam’s razer literally means what it says. The simplest explanation is the right one.

So, you’re saying it doesn’t add up, because the picture was taken at an angle? you’re kidding, right?

I don’t think the person had the time to get us a quality photo. if you’re going to be descrete, why do all that.

also, your lines aren’t exactly lining up, as I can see more of the portraits expose from the bottom as it goes up.

Lol I don’t know what you’re seeing, but if thats your only proof of discrediting it when every single other thing looks normal; as if you would have taken s picture of the game, then you’re being ridiculous.

I mean, I’ll look at the image again, but I don’t know what you’re seeing honestly.

Lol dude, I looked again. Look in the bottom right corner of the picture, it shows the corner of when the screen is cut off from the actual television. Look at it from a white back ground.

Either you’re looking too hard, or not hard enough.
I did the lines from my phone gallery, so they're not on the dot (my b) , but there is still a clear difference between the axis of set+timer and the portraits. The picture was originally tilted, but I rotated it such that it no longer was.

The evidence is clear to me: even if the image as a whole is at a slant, the top line is not remotely parallel to the bottom line. They are both from the same screen. There should be consistency no matter what angle the image was taken from. If you still don't see how that correlates, then I challenge you to edit the original image yourself and explain how these inconsisties are possible. If you can, which I doubt, I'll eat my hat

Hoser

Smash Ace

I want to preface this by saying I don't think this image is real either.

That being said, I believe this to be an illusion of sorts. It's not that the picture was taken at an angle, but rather the monitor isn't straight to the camera. I believe the left side of the monitor was tilted closer to the person taking the photo. Take a photo of regular Ultimate gameplay, but tilt the left side of your screen closer to you. You'll see that it appears the timer doesn't line up with the images. And if you rotate it like you did, then it will look all sorts of wrong.

Edit: Here's a bad photo I took. Rotate it and see what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/r76mQYf

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I want to preface this by saying I don't think this image is real either.

That being said, I believe this to be an illusion of sorts. It's not that the picture was taken at an angle, but rather the monitor isn't straight to the camera. I believe the left side of the monitor was tilted closer to the person taking the photo. Take a photo of regular Ultimate gameplay, but tilt the left side of your screen closer to you. You'll see that it appears the timer doesn't line up with the images. And if you rotate it like you did, then it will look all sorts of wrong.
Even with the screen rotated away from the viewer, I don't see how the top and bottom would intersect toward one another this significantly. I don't have high expectations, but I'll try to recreate the effect with a smash game that I own when I have time. In the short term I'll call a recess for myself :smash:

Hoser

Smash Ace
Even with the screen rotated away from the viewer, I don't see how the top and bottom would intersect toward one another this significantly. I don't have high expectations, but I'll try to recreate the effect with a smash game that I own when I have time. In the short term I'll call a recess for myself :smash:
I added a crappy quality photo to my last comment if you'd like to try it on that. I couldn't easily line up the same angle, but in that photo the timer looks to be slanting down, while the images appear to be straight.

But this image is probably fake regardless. I just felt like that might be why it looks this way.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I added a crappy quality photo to my last comment if you'd like to try it on that. I couldn't easily line up the same angle, but in that photo the timer looks to be slanting down, while the images appear to be straight.

But this image is probably fake regardless. I just felt like that might be why it looks this way.
20181019_111411.jpg
I looked
Good ol moon terminator illusion biting me in the ***

E Eternal phoenix Fire

I'm not going to eat my hat but I will eat my words, Hoser Hoser has convinced me. I don't necessarily buy the image's validity for the other reasons I've already mentioned in other comments, but I do concede that my argument is invalid

Hoser

Smash Ace
I looked

E Eternal phoenix Fire

I'm not going to eat my hat but I will eat my words, Hoser Hoser has convinced me. I don't necessarily buy the image's validity for the other reasons I've already mentioned in other comments, but I do concede that my argument is invalid
I had a feeling that was the case. I'm kinda glad it was too, as this was my first post here in two years. Glad my first post back isn't me making a fool of myself. (I still think the image is fake. I think Ken will be in the game, but I don't trust this image).

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
making a fool of myself.
Imagine how I feel :chuckle: But yeah good call on that for sure, I underestimated the severity of that effect by a longshot

This isn't the first time eternal and I have thrown hands on this website, so I'm sure he'll be satisfied

I looked

E Eternal phoenix Fire

Nah that’s fine, man. It is a weird shot, but camera distortion is odd, and we can’t exactly replicate the exact scenario for these images.

All I can do is speak from experience. I’ve seen the leaks for Brawl and Smash 4, and what I’ve seen is that no matter what someone is showing, some skeptic will believe it’s false. People would say the CD was fake, select screen is fake, a video of classic mode gameplay is fake, etc. they ended up being all true.

Same with the leaks in Smash 4 where people though Shulk was a photoshop of Little Mac and Duck Hunt wasn’t a character at all. It ended up being true as well.

Some things I believe are just too obvious to deny even if people don’t want to believe it.

I know Ken’s in the game.

sometimes **** seaps through the cracks.

Hoser

Smash Ace
All I can do is speak from experience. I’ve seen the leaks for Brawl and Smash 4, and what I’ve seen is that no matter what someone is showing, some skeptic will believe it’s false. People would say the CD was fake, select screen is fake, a video of classic mode gameplay is fake, etc. they ended up being all true.

Same with the leaks in Smash 4 where people thought Shulk was a photoshop of Little Mac and Duck Hunt wasn’t a character at all. It ended up being true as well.
This right here is why I like leaks. I don't trust them, but I like the discussion and debate they bring with them. I too remember the Shulk debates, and the ESRB leak debates. they were fun times.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
User was warned for this post

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Nah that’s fine, man. It is a weird shot, but camera distortion is odd, and we can’t exactly replicate the exact scenario for these images.

Same with the leaks in Smash 4 where people though Shulk was a photoshop of Little Mac and Duck Hunt wasn’t a character at all. It ended up being true as well.

Some things I believe are just too obvious to deny even if people don’t want to believe it.

I know Ken’s in the game.

sometimes **** seaps through the cracks.
For me it's mostly a principle, I choose to not believe leaks that aren't unequivocally real because I don't like spoilers. Normally I just avoid websites where I might run into them, and this image in particular is so widely talked about that I am forced into a position where I have to rip it to shreds in my own head to avoid disappointment. Also, I don't like the way he looks in this shot, so there's that. I suppose I'm just gonna have to wait and see confirmation

Edit: Luigifan18 Luigifan18 my MO when debating is to go balls to the wall with it and then accept it graciously if and when I happen to get rekt anyway

Last edited:

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
This is something I told S_B S_B recently; the leaks have gotten so bad I had to stop looking them up and watching videos about them. Literally a day doesn't pass without someone making a leak video or a leak post that either regurgitate the same characters or are simply troll leaks to annoy people (like how they say that Sakurai changed his mind and made Waluigi playable and how Geno is not in the game etc etc etc). And this is coming from someone who admittedly had a morbid love of leaks because it entertains me how far people can go just to get noticed during the hype train.

But now, especially on YouTube, a guy can sneeze out a leak and LaxChris, Billybo10K, PapaGenos, WiiUGamer, Slackerz Gaming etc. are making videos about it. Like even freaking GameXPlain have made videos about the leaks including the "Ken is real" image. Worse is that some Smashers on YouTube are like 'THESE LEAK VIDEOS ARE CLICK BAIT WHY ARE PEOPLE DOING THESE" then you look at the playlist and you see three or four videos dedicated to leaks.

And I feel it all comes from the fact that Ultimate was announced so quickly; the game was announced in March, fully unveiled in May, announced for December, we got details in August and then the Isabelle reveal in September. Like we are at a point where we know a lot but not enough, and that waiting for info is making people so thirsty 4chan leaks look like sparkling mineral water.

This is why we desperately need a new direct; not just because we are itching for info because all this silence and mystery is annoying, quite frankly. I know Nintendo wants us to focus on Super Mario Party then Pokemon Let's Go, but Ultimate is their killer app for this year, and it was a year in which Switch games were good but not fantastic, so Ultimate needs more attention and more news.

Top Bottom