• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People trusting "leaks?" WHY?

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
So, if anyone's been looking around, you're going to see a lot of people saying they got info from a "leak". Saying stuff like, oh, there are going to be 71 non-Echo fighters, I got that from a leak, or Incineroar, Skull Kid and Banjo Kazooie confirmed by this leak.
To me, leaks are bull.
I only trust the info we get from Daddy Sakurai himself, and his team.
So every time somebody puts a "leak" in a thread, guess what? I hit myself. A "leak" is not solid information! The only way it is confirmed is if Sakurai himself makes it known. So I'm taking all leaks that we get with a grain of salt, because they've been wrong about other games. Actually, while I'm here, that infamous Richter leak? Yeah, it had some random picks, even though both Richter and Isabelle were locked in by official info. (I mean, seriously, GOTHITELLE?)
I'm starting to suspect that most leakers are pulling our legs. It's pretty much a given. But tell me, do you all agree?

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm with you. You can't trust a leak. Most of the time it's just people that are good at guessing who want attention.

... oh and don't tell anyone I told you, but I hear from a very reliable source that the next few playable characters announced will be John Henry from Project Steam, Somebody from Fire Emblem, somebody not from Fire Emblem, an octorock, Leisure Suit Larry, and Macho man Randy Savage. You can trust me on this.

D

Deleted member

Yea people are so gullible. And whats sad is people trust leakers like Vergeben when even still, he and other 'trusted' leakers can be wrong. I honestly dont care or wish to hear about leaks. Ultimate will be out soon cant people wait?

Ive also noticed Smash Directs are far more exciting when you dont look for leaks beforehand.

What I really hate is the amount of supposed leaks we get right here on SB. Of course, mods do come and take care of the issue when they can, but its just I wish leaks weren't a thing tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Leaks are dumb, and leakers are dumber. And I'm talking about dime-a-dozen "leakers" who are guessing at best or making **** up at worst, all for the "fame" and "glory". Those guys aren't leakers, they're rumormongers. Real leakers are so utterly stupid that I have to question their mental health. To be an actual leaker with actual inside info, you have to work for Nintendo or some other game company. These companies will fire you and quite possibly sue you if you release information they aren't ready to reveal yet. Genuine leakers are literally sacrificing their jobs and risking a lawsuit, and for what? Being an E-list celebrity on the Internet... Anyone with a half-functional brain knows that that is not a trade-off they want to be making.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Only leaks with pictures or video should be given even a first glance. People who just make a 4chan post with text only are entirely irrelevant.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There are only two leaks I care about:

-Vergeben saying Minecraft content is in
-Sassy Geno image

I would include a Skull Kid leak or a Banjo-Kazooie leak, but there are none that aren't obviously fake.

What get's me are all the "leaks" people freak out over as if they're real, i.e. a bunch of obvious fakes from 4chan that get Youtube videos over them, even if it's Project M Ninten on Brawl's Battlefield.

Verge may end up wrong as well, but at least he seems credible when it comes to Smash so I'm willing to keep his words in mind.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
People are desperate for more information so they'll believe almost anything.

To this day I'm remaining skeptical about the leaks until proven otherwise. The only one I believe it's true is Ken since I can't see a reason why he wouldn't be chosen for Ryu's echo.

because they can?

who cares. if they enjoy speculating, let them.

some of them are real. Ken’s in the game, and if you don’t believe it you’re dumb as ****.

y’all all gonna be gone when the game comes out anyway so it’s whatever, have fun. I’m personally waiting to discuss actual gameplay and I’m over the emotional whiny character bull****.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Because sometimes they’re credible
The only one I currently trust is Vergeben. He’s gotten a lot right so far, more than what can be called lucky guesses. And of course he can be wrong, but I’m gonna trust him still.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
NOTE: This "leak" is purely a joke. Don't take it seriously and have a good laugh :)

My uncle Fred's brother's mother's cousin's stepbrother's pet chiweenie's goldfish works at Nintendo, and knows the final roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

The following characters are:
Shrek
Goku
Phil Swift
The ninja turtles
Billy Mays
Timmy Turner
Steve Harvey
Bob Ross
Donald Trump
Ajit Pai
Spongebob
My cat Stinky
Pink Gold Peach
Shaq
Jimmy Neutron

Stages:
The IRS Building
Trump Tower
Bikini Bottom
Your local mall
Dimmsdale
Dimension X
Shrek's Swamp
Your house

Have a good day :)

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Leaks are dumb, leakers are worse. Not sure how people fail to see the obvious attention seeking

D

Deleted member

because they can?

who cares. if they enjoy speculating, let them.

some of them are real. Ken’s in the game, and if you don’t believe it you’re dumb as ****.

y’all all gonna be gone when the game comes out anyway so it’s whatever, have fun. I’m personally waiting to discuss actual gameplay and I’m over the emotional whiny character bull****.
Telling people that they are whiny and emotional just because they dont like hearing or talking about character leaks is pretty rude. No one is saying or judging how you feel about leaks, so why do it to others? .

Telling people that they are whiny and emotional just because they dont like hearing or talking about character leaks is pretty rude. No one is saying or judging how you feel about leaks, so why do it to others? .
So it’s ok to speak ill of the people who make / believe leaks but I can’t express my discontent towards those who being critical of them and their belief tendencies because of the way I’m saying it?

ok

This thread was literally made to insult people, particularly those who make leaks, and those who believe them. but I can’t insult the insulter? god forbid.

people are saying leakers and leak believers are dumb

but I’m the rude one?

don’t be a hypocrite.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
If you want to see why I don't trust Vergeben just look at my correct predictions in my sig, some people are just craving for attention I swear.

D

Deleted member

I mostly join talks about leaks to pass the time.

I am open to anything that can happen, wether it is Crash and Banjo or not.

Smash games have made me more open to different franchises and characters that i didn't have any interest to check before. Ultimate could do the same to me again.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If you want to see why I don't trust Vergeben just look at my correct predictions in my sig, some people are just craving for attention I swear.
Well where's your proof? Unless you can prove you predicted those characters before the leaks happened, that literally means nothing.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Well where's your proof? Unless you can prove you predicted those characters before the leaks happened, that literally means nothing.
I have a bunch of old rosters from before E3 in a file somewhere, would that be sufficient evidence?

Either way, if you don't believe my word of mouth why do you believe Vergeben's?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So it’s ok to speak ill of the people who make / believe leaks but I can’t express my discontent towards those who being critical of them and their belief tendencies because of the way I’m saying it?

ok

This thread was literally made to insult people, particularly those who make leaks, and those who believe them. but I can’t insult the insulter? god forbid.

people are saying leakers and leak believers are dumb

but I’m the rude one?

don’t be a hypocrite.
First of all, dont link me with what someone else said. I never insulted you. Also, I never said anyone was dumb. I said people are gullible for believing leaks that are obviously fake.

Second: I just simply stated that it isn't right telling someone that they are whiny because of their opinion.

Third: I dont think this thread was intentionally trying to be insulting. This is more of a opinion based thread to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Really wish Nintendo would just give us some new information for Super Smash Bros Ultimate already instead of having us to these dog**** 4chan leaks for new info (It's getting really old and extremely tiring very quickly if I might add).

Really also wish these pretentious attention seekers would stop doing this and not spoil the new content for the game (Would like to be very surprised when the new content is shown off)!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
There's two kinds of leaks:
  1. Ones from known leakers with proven track records and who have leaked things that have come true (e.g. Vergeben)
  2. Ones from random people that are convincing enough to be taken seriously and often propped up in cash-grabbing YouTube videos (e.g. the "codename" leak)
So either people are following the reasonably reliable leakers, or they're following YouTube clickbait. Vergeben hasn't had any misses so far, so while he shouldn't be considered infallible, you can't blame people for taking his information seriously. The YouTube leak of the day, though, is where things start to get silly.

Leaks are dumb, leakers are worse. Not sure how people fail to see the obvious attention seeking
The worst was leading up to the Switch's launch. There were two or three leakers that everyone was talking about, and most of their information ended up being wrong. Then, after the Switch came out... no one cared about them. Leaking is really just for fame and attention, even if only briefly.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have a bunch of old rosters from before E3 in a file somewhere, would that be sufficient evidence?

Either way, if you don't believe my word of mouth why do you believe Vergeben's?
Because literally everything Verg has said about Smash so far has either come true or will likely come true very soon.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Because literally everything Verg has said about Smash so far has either come true or will likely come true very soon.
So he said that Ridley, Simon and Isabelle were coming? Hah! He didn't get Chrom and K. Rool though did he!? You better be believing Bandana Dee is coming ;)

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
You got to give Verg some credit though: he has leaked every unique character so far except for :ultkrool:. Not to mention everything else he's mentioned outside of characters are either confirmed (Castlevania re-release) or haven't be deconfirmed (Minecraft content). However, it is definitely possible that we'll get someone he hasn't mentioned.
Just give me Elma, Bandana Dee, and KOS-MOS Sakurai. That's all I'm asking.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So he said that Ridley, Simon and Isabelle were coming? Hah! He didn't get Chrom and K. Rool though did he!? You better be believing Bandana Dee is coming ;)
It's almost unheard of for a leaker to leak every character. Gematsu Leak lacked Rosalina and Duck Hunt. The Brawl leaks were split between two people with separate lists. But Vergeben outright said Snake, Ice Climbers, and Ridley were in, with Ridley specifically being at E3, all of which points to him having had access to the E3 demo. He said Simon was in the game during a time when everyone thought Konami getting back in was impossible. He got Isabelle as well, though she was a shoo in anyway. He called Ken long before the completely non-disprovable image leak confirmed him, alongside the infamous Box which saved a spot for him. All signs are pointing to Incineroar being in as well.

These aren't lucky guesses. Nearly everyone was on the Decidueye train before Verg outright disconfirmed him. Decidueye was, for all intents and purposes, the "safe" guess. Vergeben went right for Incineroar, specifically disconfirming Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc. You don't outright disconfirm three characters if you're only doing "lucky guesses."

Vergeben absolutely has credibility.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
The only leaker I actually trust is Vergeben, mostly because he has yet to get proven incorrect with one of his Smash predictions. I don't take him as gospel, especially since he sometimes keeps quiet and doesn't mention certain characters. (:ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:) He has also been proven wrong with other games, so he's not 100% credible. Other leakers like Loz18 got lucky with some leaks but was proven to be a troll later on. And then there's the 4chan fake news that gives LaxChris LaxChris all of his views that should be ignored at all costs. They just want attention.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Just because he didn't predict everything doesn't mean that he's any less credible. Leakers get their information from sources. Those sources usually don't have all the information themselves for that exact reason. People who go "Oh, Vergeben didn't predict these characters, so he's full of it" are being ridiculous and don't know how this works.

According to some alleged developers of the game, no one besides Sakurai and some other higher-ups know everything about the game, which makes sense. That compartmentalization prevents the entire game from being leaked, but it also helps weed out who the leakers are, since they can narrow it down by who knows what information. If you know a group of people knows that A, B, and D characters are in the game, and Vergeben says that A, B, and D characters are in the game, but he doesn't say C character is in the game, then Nintendo can narrow down who leaked that info. Sometimes, false information might be given out for the same reason; if a leaker says that, say, that Heihachi is going to be in the game, but that's actually false info only told to a handful of people on the team, Nintendo can go "Who was told that Heihachi would be in the game?", figure out who Vergeben's source is, and fire his ass.

This is also why usually leakers don't say anything unless they've heard it from multiple sources. Apparently the reason why Vergeben wasn't committing to a specific Gen 7 Pokemon was because he didn't enough sources to verify who it was until later on. When he finally committed to Incineroar, his words were "I finally heard that it is Incineroar from all my main Smash sources so there you have it." Because the more people that are confident in a specific piece of information, the less likely it is to be false.

It's like how Liam Robertson said that Shovel Knight would be playable in Smash 4, but that was super wrong. That's because he only had one source, and that source said that on account of Shovel Knight getting an Amiibo when there weren't any non-Smash Amiibo at the time, so he drew the false conclusion that it meant he'd be in Smash. Sources can be wrong for a number of reasons.

Hence, Vergeben's sources only knew of "Everyone is Here," Ridley, and Simon, and later Isabelle, all of which were correct. He either didn't have enough sources to confirm Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool, or his sources straight up didn't know. Right now, we're just waiting on Ken, Incineroar, the unnamed Square Enix rep, and Minecraft content. Though I would guess that there's probably more that Vergeben and his sources don't know/aren't sure of, so I wouldn't limit the possibilities to just those bullet points.

But again, it's not set in stone. The Gematsu leaker for Smash 4 was right about everyone except for Chrom and Chorus Kids, because he was working from outdated information. It's entirely possible Vergeben could be getting wrong or outdated information as well. He's been correct about everything so far, but if Incineroar, Ken, and a Square Enix rep don't show up, then there goes his record.

We'll know for sure within 50 days.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Never rely on a dumbass leak or rumor unless it’s explicitly confirmed by Nintendo themselves. I don’t get why anyone would believe in that bull****.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Never rely on a ******* leak or rumor unless it’s explicitly confirmed by Nintendo themselves. I don’t get why anyone would believe in that bull****.
I mean, the answer's obvious. Believing any random person's "leak" or rumor to be 100% true immediately is foolish. But when someone provides a leak a month before the game is formally announced, and everything that person said came true over the course of 3-4 months, then I don't think it's bull**** to think they might be right about other things.

No source but Nintendo should be considered completely true or accurate, of course. I'm still not completely sold on Incineroar. But I wasn't completely sold on Isabelle, either. So I'm keeping an open mind.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't know about that one chief.

Leak Image

In-game footage.

Look at Pichu's portrait. Imma say nah on this one.
The Pichu portrait in the Ken image has a different mouth, too.

I assume it's an early build, between the inkless stage and Pichu's portrait in the footage also being different from his/her final one. Plus, the leak's Pichu portrait is moved a little bit to the left, as there's more of its left ear showing.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
The Pichu portrait in the Ken image has a different mouth, too.

I assume it's an early build, between the inkless stage and Pichu's portrait in the footage also being different from his/her final one.
I'm going to ignore the fact that Ken's art style also looks completely different from how Ryu looks in-game, if this is legit and he actually looks like this then they messed him up pretty bad lmao

First of all, dont link me with what someone else said. I never insulted you. Also, I never said anyone was dumb. I said people are gullible for believing leaks that are obviously fake.

Second: I just simply stated that it isn't right telling someone that they are whiny because of their opinion.

Third: I dont think this thread was intentionally trying to be insulting. This is more of a opinion based thread to me.
I never said that you in particular insulted me, but defending other people prior to me who were being rude is injust.

I’m not really going to entertain this further. I understand your stance on this. I’m just saying think about what you’re regarding as rude.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with leaks, and a discussion about this is...I don’t know...pointless I guess?

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Just for one last bit of food for thought on this allegedly infallible leak, I went ahead and tilted the image to make the screen flush with the set, refer to the time and such.

The portraits don't line up, like, not even remotely close. This is a well done fake, but they messed up their fundamentals. NEXT PLEASE

20181018_153632.jpg

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm going to ignore the fact that Ken's art style also looks completely different from how Ryu looks in-game, if this is legit and he actually looks like this then they messed him up pretty bad lmao
Or it could be an incomplete, unpolished model that was still a work in progress. (I don't buy into leaks myself, but I've got to play Devil's Advocate here.)

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Or it could be an incomplete, unpolished model that was still a work in progress. (I don't buy into leaks myself, but I've got to play Devil's Advocate here.)
Fair, but it'd be even more strange to have the portraits line up on a tilted axis, which doesn't make sense even in a developer build.

See more recent post

Uffe

Smash Hero
They're rumors, not leaks. Leaks are evidence. But you should believe strangers on the Internet. Everything they tell you is fact, even though they've been incorrect about a number of things, but ignore that. Don't even be skeptical, just believe them. In fact, forget Smash Directs, because we've got "leakers" to provide us with facts.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ken actually has the same style as Ultimate Ryu. Count the polygons on the gi. It's less than Smash 4 Ryu, but matches Ultimate Ryu. It's not a mod of an existing model.

Top Bottom