• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach's Hardest Matchups?

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
I wanted to know what you guys think is Peach's hardest matchup/how to hopefully counter them

I have the hardest time with Rosalina. Luma is a huge jerk that covers a lot of ground and makes it difficult to approach and also make you have to approach her. Her aerials also have great range that beat out most of what peach can do.

Ness is also pretty hard, but not as much as Rosalina. Forward air has amazing range and is fast, so its usually pretty safe to go for against an aerial peach, so he can outspace peach pretty well. PK thunder can be used to follow peach pretty much anywhere in the air, and PK fire covers low float.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I haven't played any pro Rosalinas but the ones I have played against seem to not know what to do after you get past Luma. You can attack/kill Luma and force Rosalina into a different play style. Shield and Turnip OoS. I find Peach Bomber to be most effective against her as of now.

Personally there are a few match ups that frustrate me but I don't know if that's because it's truly a disadvantaged match up or just inexperience from the game being so new. So I'm trying to wait to feel the characters out.

Renanri

Smash Cadet
NNID
RuriAri
3DS FC
1049-1229-2048
I haven't played any pro Rosalinas but the ones I have played against seem to not know what to do after you get past Luma. You can attack/kill Luma and force Rosalina into a different play style. Shield and Turnip OoS. I find Peach Bomber to be most effective against her as of now.

Personally there are a few match ups that frustrate me but I don't know if that's because it's truly a disadvantaged match up or just inexperience from the game being so new. So I'm trying to wait to feel the characters out.
I always find that my Peach Booty Bump always hits Luma rather than Rosie. :4kirby:
My hardest matchups for Peach have been Sheik, Rosie, and anyone quick or with quick aerials. :o

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I was gonna say Jiggs but then I realized Jiggs' aerials aren't exactly the fastest and Sheik is probably the best matchup besides Rosalina.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Peach Bomber is a very good way of pushing Luma out of the position that Rosalina has fired it at.
The key to fighting Ness is to play very defensively with Turnips - he's been buffed hugely. Yoshi is another character who's been buffed a lot and you need to take care when fighting him too...

The hardest character to fight as Peach imo is Sheik - I've yet to meet a character who gives me as much trouble as her. Approaching her is an absolute nightmare due to her quick aerials, fast movement, F Tilt combos and Needles. Needles deserve a special mention for being super ****ing annoying as they prevent you from pulling regular Turnips and can catch you whenever you're trying to land or get back on stage at stage height. Her Uair kills at around 100% and if you get it wrong, she can D Throw (or maybe it's Up Throw) and follow up with a Uair. Bouncing Fish is also very strong and, in a similar fashion to Peach Bomber, can catch you off guard.

In Brawl you could wall out her Fairs by countering with Bairs but I've not had a huge amount of luck in Smash 4 with this tactic...

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Rosalina is annoying for sure. A lot of it is that she has stupid escape options and luma is obnoxious. Rosalina covers so much space for how slow peach is. Bomber is amazing, though. Every time I fight Rosalina the match is a war of attrition, very much like Brawl Olimar. Luma isn't that difficult to deal with, but Luma becomes a pain because it's super hard to get in on Rosalina.

As far as Sheik goes, she's definitely annoying, but not so bad. We can take a good deal of damage but if we're not directly above her or if we refrain from landing on top of her, then she's going to have a hard time killing.
We can approach with float. Like, you can float over needle spam and then just land before you enter fair range. I'm pretty sure we can bait fair or fsmash attacks or down b (or side B, i forgot which one is the flip kick). But yeah, just float close enough to make needle unsafe when you land. Dtilt beats a lot of Sheik's ground approaches, and sh dair/float dair can pressure her pretty well. For me, I really try to land that grab or dash attack. And if the sheik likes to approach sometimes it's pretty easy to dash grab her out of her run.

I feel like Greninja is hard, too, coz he's short, fast, sword priority, shuriken spam, and raw speed. His up b can be used to pretty much wavedash and create a windbox. And his camping is generally difficult to deal. But then again I feel like it's not exactly fair to evaluate this match-up yet since we're gonna need a great deal of control over our character (GC controller! lol). So far what I've figured is that sh dair beats shurikens. I haven't really figured out how to catch him, though; Shadow Sneak, his fast and high jumps, and his up B shenanigans make him an incredible character in most respects. What helps is that he doesn't hit very hard but he can hit pretty consistently, so it's one that we're definitely going to have to figure out.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I would like to second how useful Peach Bomber is in the matchup against Rosalina, I felt completely lost and it definitely helped me into the right direction to understand Luma and Rosalina.

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
Yeah, Shiek is really tricky too. What I do against most characters that have projectiles is to try and float at a height where I can go right above them, but still make contact with Fairs or Dairs. It works reasonably well, but characters with fast or really well ranged aerials can get in. With good spacing though you can bait the aerial and counter with Fair, and if they don't bite pressure their shield and read the roll or drop and grab on their shield. It can work against sheik, but she is really fast so it requires good timing and spacing.

This works pretty well with Greninja too. He's super fast, but most get impatient and like to go in with Dairs or shadow sneak, both of which are punishable.

The other advice I have is that most characters in this game have a hard time killing, and peach has a fantastic time living and staying safe. I tend to pull ahead when I get to high percents because I know my opponents kill moves and watch for them. Greninja's Shadow Sneak kills, and his up smash is what I would say is his most reliable kill move. Shiek also has a hard time killing I feel. They're mostly gonna go for aggressive edgeguards, Forward smash, up smash (both of which are unreliable and punishable) or try to catch you with an up air after a grab maybe. Neither of these characters really has a killer throw (I think Greninja's up throw kills at 200 something) so at high percent stay more grounded.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Fair ***** Luma. Luma always gets hit when you approach Rosalina with it. Now you just have to make you don't get punished by it by either retreating or turnip canceling. Granted, I haven't played any super good Rosalina's yet, but I can hardly imagine this match-up being very hard for Peach.

Yoshi on the other hand... ugh what an asshole I HATE EGGS.

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
I am amazed, yet completely disgusted by the performance of Edge and @Jtails with Diddy Kong at recent tournaments. XD He seems so good it makes me feel uncomfortable watching matches involving him. They're not fun at all. Top players such as Kie and Nairo have been soundly destroyed by him... His down throw to up aerial is very reminiscent of Fox back in Melee. However, he seems to kill at much lower percents than other characters. Diddy Kong also racks up damage extremely fast.

You can view Edge (Diddy Kong) vs Kie (Peach) matches on the Video thread.

What are your thoughts on him?

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
Wow thanks @ ZeroBlindDragon ZeroBlindDragon There is another thread that was talking about landing, and i think Kie was having a big problem with that against Diddy. What makes it worse is that pretty much what we came up with was going for the ledge, but Diddy has amazing ledge pressure by throwing a banana or peanut to force a shield then use side B to grab. I guess you could roll out of it? But this could be a problem

Against Diddy, i'd say maybe retreating Fair to counter the SideB? Kie went in with Dair a lot and I think Edge caught on to it and started upAiring. I'd say play more defensive, and low float. Diddy's main way of approaching is SideB since Bananas are nerfed, and this can be baited and Fair'd. Though admittedly this is only coming off playing like 2 Diddys in For Glory.

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
After that wifi tourney I posted about, I played some friendlies with a Diddy Kong player and got my s**t rekt. ;o; It felt very similar to how the matchup plays out in Brawl. As in, pretty tough for her. Side-b is too good for him.

Yoshi on the other hand... ugh what an ******* I HATE EGGS.
I just played a Yoshi in another tourney, and I got beat 2-0. He just has all the priority and range that we don't. Eggs are good; even if you can hard read punish his double jump his eggs will get him back to the stage anyway... Egg Roll is hard to punish and can even be used as a movement option. Up-smash challenges dair approaches, f-smash is good. I got fair spiked like three times, lol. I swear the spike is easier to get now. Plus, with his double jump there's little risk in him going for it. Recovering accurately and unpredictably vs. him seems to be important. Up-air is a good killer, bair has range and power, dair is hard to punish in general or if you're in shield. Oh, and his grab is a really good response to anything that you do on his shield. It just seems like a really hard matchup that you have to play completely on-point as well as off-the-book to throw him off and capitalize as much as possible. Yeesh.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
So far the hardest matchup I had was a good Pac Man or Bowser Jr. I have no trouble with ness, but I use Ness a lot so his weaknesses are extremely apparent to me.

Ness: Use down air to kill PK thunder. don't air dodge. don't rely on fair, his fair is too good. UP air juggle him he's weak from above. shield his pk fire and retalitate with a turnip OOS while dashing at him, then mix up with grab or short hop dair.

Sheik: If you played Melee treat this like Melee Sheik and she's just a weaker version because she can't combo as hard out of grabs. Against a good sheik you want to bait grabs and bait the fair and punish her fair with your fair (yours out ranged hers) and punish her grab attempts with downsmash (won't let her sidestep out of the way) With your float you should NOT be getting hit with too many needles. Turnip cancel is a necesity so you dont get needled while grabbing one. OH, also, bait her needles by crouching then jumping into float. Gets her to waste her charged up needles, she will think ur gonna get a turnip then BAM you jump and dodge 'em. She's insanely tough to edgeguard. My rec is either be super aggressive and go WAY out there with a surprise fair, OR camp back and throw turnips at the ledge all day long. Also use a toad a lot against a really aggressive sheik.

Diddy is pretty hard, but I think it's hard because i'm used to brawl diddy and my pre conceived notions of what diddy has is screwing me over. He's probably an even matchup based on the tools he has and the tools Peach has.

I have yet to do the Rosalina Peach matchup. (against a decent rosalina) When I picture it in my head I imagine using turnips until I knock luma out.

Awesomecakes: If you have trouble killing you need to be upsmashing out of shield more. Particularly when characters return from ledge, just shield, then if they do get up attack or jump with an aerial, shielding it will result in a gauranteed upsmash out of shield punish.

Wow thanks @ ZeroBlindDragon ZeroBlindDragon There is another thread that was talking about landing, and i think Kie was having a big problem with that against Diddy. What makes it worse is that pretty much what we came up with was going for the ledge, but Diddy has amazing ledge pressure by throwing a banana or peanut to force a shield then use side B to grab. I guess you could roll out of it? But this could be a problem

Against Diddy, i'd say maybe retreating Fair to counter the SideB? Kie went in with Dair a lot and I think Edge caught on to it and started upAiring. I'd say play more defensive, and low float. Diddy's main way of approaching is SideB since Bananas are nerfed, and this can be baited and Fair'd. Though admittedly this is only coming off playing like 2 Diddys in For Glory.
That's good advice, unfortunately on the 3ds i find it impossible to space my fair correctly :( I can see myself doing this easily on the gamecube controller though.

Last edited:

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
Anyone have experience with the DeDeDe matchup? I was playing online in For Glory against a decent Peach and it was pretty close. Lag was pretty spotty, but we were even most of the time.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Anyone have experience with the DeDeDe matchup? I was playing online in For Glory against a decent Peach and it was pretty close. Lag was pretty spotty, but we were even most of the time.
It's tough for Dedede, approaching from the front and with a float as Peach is kinda hard for Dedede to punish properly. Don't throw a lot of Gordos because it's easy for Peach to hit them back with speedy moves (Bair, Nair, Turnips) Dedede just has to play very anticipatory and try to respond to what he think the Peach will decide to do next.

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
I'm surprised zss hasn't been mentioned yet

lucina, dedede, jiggs, greninja, sheik, diddy, rosalina, no prob bob

but zss gives me some rough matches
I don't often lose but they're the ones that give me the most run for my money

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
the villager is more annoying than a legitimate challenge I'd say

the slingshot is amazing at telling you to **** off
esp. after baiting a jump with a rocket
I played against a good villager once
I hope I had it recorded, might have some light to shed here

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
the villager is more annoying than a legitimate challenge I'd say

the slingshot is amazing at telling you to **** off
esp. after baiting a jump with a rocket
I played against a good villager once
I hope I had it recorded, might have some light to shed here
If you check out my new thread on match ups, I explain how to fight him.

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
ah good stuff
thank you

donkey kong is surprisingly a bit tough as well
he can chain bairs on you like no other

negativepenalty

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-3464-4243
Only characters that consistently give me problems are a really campy Megaman, Sonic and Captain Falcon.

I just can't find a way to get in on Megaman. It feels like his projectiles along with some moves are natural counters to Peach's gameplan. I admit I may just not know the match up but I hate dealing with him so much, the match is always dragged out and just flat out tedious.

Most of the Falcon players I've fought against are admittedly better than me and I make poor mistakes. A good Falcon player always seems to overwhelm me as well as always randomly throw out side b and I fall for it most of the time.

Sonic...well he's just Sonic. Always a hassle to deal with and obnoxious.

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
megaman campy isn't all that bad
I've only played one really good megaman and the matches were close but each of his projectiles leaves him in a bit of lag
position yourself to punish him as you see fit

falcon side b is buffed just like ours
falcon is a good character to spot-dodge with and punish with grab
turnips are also much use against falcon because it forces him to stop his momentum, perhaps his greatest tool

sonic is pr annoying
turnips and nairs for trade
he can do lots of stuff out of his ambiguous spinning balls
and peach is more-or-less combo food for him
so you must be dedicatedly cautious in the battle against him
which isn't always fun but almost always satisfying.

negativepenalty

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-3464-4243
megaman campy isn't all that bad
I've only played one really good megaman and the matches were close but each of his projectiles leaves him in a bit of lag
position yourself to punish him as you see fit

falcon side b is buffed just like ours
falcon is a good character to spot-dodge with and punish with grab
turnips are also much use against falcon because it forces him to stop his momentum, perhaps his greatest tool

sonic is pr annoying
turnips and nairs for trade
he can do lots of stuff out of his ambiguous spinning balls
and peach is more-or-less combo food for him
so you must be dedicatedly cautious in the battle against him
which isn't always fun but almost always satisfying.
Thanks for the advice. I'll work on my spacing against Megaman's projectiles as well as spot-dodging Falcon. As for Sonic, I guess I'll just find a suitable counter character for seeing as to I just find it tiresome to deal with his bs.

SwiftWindStream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1693-1858-2697
Hardest match-ups for peach in my opinion is
1.) Rosalina and Luma
Rosalina has many advantages over peach and a lot of other characters as well which is why she is placed in S class.

2.)Camping Mega Man
Peach doesn't have many long ranged attacks and the one she does is a very short ranged long attack. Mega man will continue to throw his objects until he gains enough momentum to knock you out with a smash attack.

Top Bottom