• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach vs. The Condom (Sheik)

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
ok, for those who don't know, this ranks as possible my favorite match up in all of SSBM, simply because of the great tactics being employed by both sides. However, any Peach who has played a high level Sheik user can attest that it's a bit of an uphill battle, so now I think it might be important to analyze this match-up, seeing as how Sheik destroys other character much worse, herself included...

Sheik's anti-Peach
1. Sheik retains a lot of her combo ability against the floaty Peach. But did you know that constantly DIing a hard left/right away from Sheik's tilts sends Peach too far for any possible follow up? It's true... whenever you're enganging Sheik, DI a hard left/right away from her. If Sheik hits you with a tilt, your angle of flight is so off she can't hit you again for a follow up. This is another reason why C-sticking is so important with Peach. You can use aerials with them while still holding the proper DI angles just in case (except for nairs). You can try the DI bits in training mode with a friend. It can counter ftilt, dtilt, utilt, and the dreaded standing A - fair combo, all of Sheik's big combo setups vs. Peach, except for the dthrow because it's cheap and stupid.

2. Sheik's big killers on Peach are her fair and uair, most commonly linked from dthrow. However, it seems like even the Sheik user doesn't know that both of these can be DI'd to prolong the victim's survival for some odd reason. If you see fair coming and can't do anything about it, just hold the control stick up+towards (same way you'd DI a forward throw). Granted, DI'ing Sheik's fair isn't as effective as a fthrow simply because of the low angle it sends you, but an angle of DI exists, and should be used. You can also try this in training mode to see the difference in sending angle.

Sheik's uair can also be DI'd. Sheik's uair is actually very similar to Peach's, one of those similarities being it doesn't have a perfectly vertical send. It's a bit off center, and you can use that angle to DI the uair to a small extent. It's simple.. if you're to the right of the center of Sheik's body, hold right on the control stick. If you're on the left, hold left. Bear in mind though, that it's better to be eating Sheik's fair from the dthrow as opposed to uair 90% of the time as Peach dies much more easily off the top than to the side.

As noted, DI has comparatively little effect on Sheik's fair/uair as they would on most other horizontal sends. But even a little extra survivial can go a long way.

3. Sheik's grab - dthrow is too much for poor Peach to handle. At most any percentage past 30, Peach is set up for a free uair or fair from Sheik following this move no matter how she DIs. At 0% she can be chain grabbed a couple of times or utilt comboed for good damage, so watch out for those as well when you are fresh from a respawn. Moral here: Sheik will try to grab - dthrow you as much as she can. DO NOT ALLOW SHEIK TO GRAB YOU.

However, it is inevitable that she will get grabs on you. Once this happens, try to break out like mad. Most Sheiks simply use dthrow anyways and you can attempt to break the grab without messing up the DI of dthrow when needed as it's fairly slow. Speaking of which, you should almost always DI a hard left/right, almost never up. This sort of DI limits Sheik to an fair (no uair) afterwards until the 120+ damage range, which is almost always the better option. After that, you can DI the fair (up+towards) and hope you survive. Setting yourself for uair is only favorable when the ceiling is much higher than the distance to the left/right blast zone in question and that's rare...

However, when Peach reaches about 120% or so, it is possible for Sheik to run under you and Uair after dthrow, even with the horizontal DI. This takes a bit more time to do than a usual running Fair, so you actually (barely) have enough frames to wiggle out of dthrow stun and airdodge the brutal attack. However, that requires extremely precise timing and a thorough foresight of your opponent's follow-up patterns. Remember that if you do wind up eating uair for whatever reason to DI it the right way for maximum chances of survival.

-PAL players do not have to worry about dthrow combos except for an occasional dash attack follow-up at low damage. Consider yourself lucky.

Avoiding/countering Sheik's grab game is key in giving her a good match. Peach actually has a couple of ways to get around Sheik's grab when she's in range of it:

>slaps - Peach's standing A only has one frame of startup (hits on frame 2). Even if you see a grab coming, you have a (comparatively) good amount of time to simply slap her out of it. The slaps also have decent reach (outranges sheik's grab), so this would be the safest countermeasure provided Sheik doesn't CC it. Peach 1st slap, unfortunately, can be CC'd at any percentage. Remember though, that if they do start CC'ing it, that your dsmash comes into play.

>fsmash - Peach leans back and bends her waist in such a fashion that it avoids Sheik's hand. If you're against a grab-happy Sheik, feel free to fsmash them. It's recommended you try this out in a controlled 1 vs. 1 first to get the proper spacing down, although it's not entirely hard. The lean-back is actually very substantial, but take a little time to reach its maximum. Fsmash is also a very handy anti-air attack against Sheik when used properly. Get used to its speed and random range and you'll have a valuable attack to use in this match.
Video demo!

>dtilt - raise an eyebrow if you like, but Peach's dtilt plays a large part in your anti-Sheik game. It's very difficult to get used to using, but has the highest payout of any combo starter since dtilt offers ridiculous advantage when you hit an opponent on the ground with it. In the first few frames of Peach's dtilt, she leans back for a brief period before striking. This can be used to evade-and-counter grabs in a very similar way as fsmash. However, it's a bit tricky to get the spacing down since the lean back is not as big as fsmash, but is near instant starting on frame 2! Spaced dtilts are also relatively safe to throw out there since it has fast recovery and also good range (better than dsmash by a good bit). It is shield-grabbable only if you're way too close. Here's some frame data from SDM's files:

D Tilt

Total: 27
Hit: 12-13
IASA: 26
max lean back: 2-9

Shield stun: 13
Shield hit lag: 6
Advantage: -8

Anyway, you can try this in a controlled 1 vs. 1 to see that it does work, but fitting this into a real match requires much practice and foresight. The spoils however, are grand. dtilt leads into a natural combo into uair up until about 105% before landing the dtilt. Even with DI it still leads to free attacks. Once Sheik is past that 105ish percentage, a dtilt sends her too far up for a combo to be viable, but you can attempt to hover in the air and intercept her from below as they will almost assuredly jump out of the stun once they see you pursuing, and have no choice but to fall back down to a waiting Peach out for blood.

Sheik's jab - . When Peach is at roughly 95% and above, Sheik can use a single standing A to set Peach up for a fair. This actually counts as a combo in training mode *shudder*. The best example I can tell you is S4C Mike G vs. Isai 01. It's just brutal. Anyway, avoiding it is tricky. If you manage to DI Sheik's punch, you'll be too far for her to fair you in time. However, DI'ing it is impossible on reflex. My best thought is to keep your distance from Sheik moreso than you should be pre-90%, and again, constantly using the "away DI" whenever Sheik is close. If you abuse DI, Sheik is going to be pissed off trying to kill Peach since the setups send her too far away for any follow up as long as she stays away from the dthrow.

Alternatively, you can attempt to CC-counter Sheik's jab if you're suspicious of it. Bear in mind though, that CC-spam will leave you vulnerable to random grabs.

Sheik's ftilt - Anyone that's played an ftilt-spacing Sheik knows this move is a complete and utter ***** to get past and leads to free attacks whenever you don't DI it away. The only moves Peach has that matches its range are the second hit of A,A and the tennis racket. Only the club outreaches it entirely, but fsmash to counter her ftilt is unadvisable. You do however, have some defenses against it.

dtilt - what, dtilt again? Yes, the lean back of dtilt is enough to avoid spaced ftilts from sheik, and even hit her, too! Juggle the cheap ho to hell and back.

Turnips - you can throw a turnip from shield and it will hit sheik before she recovers from ftilt assuming you block the ftilt (and have a turnip).

DD dash attack - dash away right before the ftilt comes out, then snap around and dash attack her. Requires precise timing and also runs a risk of being shield grabbed if you're too slow or CC'd if they have little damage.

Remember that if you wind up eating the ftilt, to either CC it or DI away from Sheik to avoid getting comboed.

NTSC vs. PAL
PAL Peaches rejoice. Sheik had some key anti-Peach characteristics taken away from her. Her dthrow now has more horizontal send, making it impossible to connect with an aerial after proper DI on your part, and her uair now requires roughly 35% more damage to KO as it did in NTSC. Those two bits are enough to turn the tables in Peach's favor instead of the vice-versa.

On the other hand, Peach has been unchanged ever since Up+B starting lagging on hit in NTSC 1.1 and subsequent versions. In PAL, Peach can afford a little bit more error than in NTSC since grabs from Sheik and being caught from below in general aren't nearly as devastating. Sheik still retains the KO power in all her other moves, though. You still have to be mindful of her standing fair, bair, usmash, dsmash, and as always her ridiculous tilt and needle game.

Peach vs. Sheik by version
Here's how it goes. In NTSC, Sheik's brokenness allows a tiny advantage in her favor against Peach. Certainly still a close match, but Sheik has ridiculous stuff on Peach that is hard to avoid, and Peach can't quite return that punishment in full (for the same amount of effort, anyway).

In PAL, well... Sheik actually loses to Peach. With the lack of a real grab game to counter Peach's CC game, Peach wins pretty handily. Makes me want to move to Australia only to still get owned by the Marths and Foxes.

NTSC Peach/Sheik matches
Vidjo vs. Drephen 1
Vidjo vs. Drephen 2
Vidjo vs. Drephen 3
Vidjo vs. Drephen 4

Cort vs. mystery Sheik - pretty good actually
Cort vs. mystery Sheik 2
Cort vs. Hayato 1
Cort vs. Hayato 2

PXTalon2000

Smash Ace
::is a Peach newbie:

Question (since I can't begin to offer authority on Peach):

Would it at times be useful to DI the fair the exact opposite way you normally would, hoping to hit the ground or a platform, and then techrolling? (as in Ken Shiek vs. Isai Kirby on the angelfire site)

It seems easy enough to determine the success or failure of DI, but a miscalculation means pretty much certain death. On the other hand, I dunno how certain it is that a recovering Peach will recover.

Speaking of that, any particular tips on recovering against Shiek?

Also... Is it safe to slightly delay the second slap? Or does that present Shiek with an opening?

EDIT: Hee... Thanks Ryoko. I was bored with playing Luigi all the time and needed to play SoCal Gus's Shiek in the little tourney today... I thought of this thread and was like "If Ryoko says Peach vs. Shiek is even, I'll believe him"
Actually won the first match somehow o.o;
... Even though I... Didn't do a great job following the above outline. I think I might have more to contribute to this topic after, like, other people put stuff in and my questions get answered.

DeathTiers

Smash Cadet
I think grabbing + down smashing are the main keys to winning with peach.

Speaking about getting grabbed, if you have good defense and never get grabbed,m then it shouldn't be a problem.

Emacee

Smash Ace
From a more general perspective. Peach would also stand a higher chance to win against Sheik due to the fact that Sheik needs to get close in order to win. Her only projectiles being the needles which are only good for stun and canceling. With sheik closer, this will bring her within firing range of the veggies/saturn/bob-omb and Peach's aerials and downsmash when possible. I always found it an advantage to have to fight a Sheik as opposed to dueling it out against a juggler like Marth or against a strong Samus.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Emacee
Her only projectiles being the needles which are only good for stun and canceling.
Quite true, but I think it´s also necessary to say that fully charged needle throw does over 15% damage, which is quite much. Luckily Peach has her toad :)

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
a single slap can flow into a grab fairly easily if you have the timing right, you can even stop someone from flying to far from a FC'd fair at low percentages by quickly slapping as you land.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Another thing about this match-up is that it seems to be very stage-heavy in determining who has the advantage. Both characters have a few deadly slob selections to the other.

To kill Sheik, go to:

Mute City - Might as well be called Peach City. Sheik doesn't have a chance in **** of beating a good Peach here. There's almost zero opportunity to camp, Sheik isn't great at avoiding cars, and best of all... there are no ledges for her to grab. It is essential to play on this stage against as many characters as possible to become familiar with it, as this is by far Peach's best slob pick against any character except Jiggs and fellow Peaches.

DL64 - To quote NEO, DL64 = "gay peach recovery." ^^; This is another stage where Sheik is at a disadvantage, though not to the extent of Mute City. Large boundaries equate to plenty of room for Peach to safely recover, while at the same time leaves Sheik unable to recover or very open to the edge-guarding of Peach.

To get killed by Sheik, go to:

Yoshi's Story - The opposite of Dream Land. Not a lot of room to move around, and the issues on recovery are tipped into Sheik's favor. Short KO zones unfavor Peach.

Onett - If Sheik slobs here, it's to camp. Unlike Peach, Sheik can navigate the many platforms around the level very easily and can put the chase on Peach. Peach needs to have very good seeking skills or maintain a lead throughout the entire match to avoid losing by timeout. There's also the recovery issue again, tipped into Sheik's favor.

Feel free to add.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I can give some of the Sheik perspective here:

Peach seems to be able to out-prioritize most of Sheik's approaches, so keep that in mind. It forces Sheik to go in for grabs most of the time.

Make Sheik come to you, can't stress this enough. Turnips, or just plain run away a lot. Don't dash attack predictibly like a certain Peach I know tends to do..., it means free grabs.

Oh, and I can vouch for Yoshi's Story as the perfect Peach counterpick, and I'll have to try Onett, but I'd think all the platforms would lead to painful downsmashes...

kabuki64

Smash Rookie
Ive played most of my Smash time against Shiek (seeing as how its the only character my friend ever uses) and the only real advantages Peach has over sheik in terms of level are Big Blue and Brain Star Depths. Those two stages have no edges for shiek to hide behind thus making it harder for shiek to recover back onto the stage without beind counterd.

Mute city is a better place suited for Shiek as there is little room for peach to recover and the incline on some parts of the stage allow shiek to doge most of peache's attacks easier. Another place where peach loses some ground on shiek is that Yoshi stage with the yellow blocks in the middle (sorry the name escapes me at the moment) since theres alot of incline in this stage peache's down smash isnt as effective as in other stages that are flatter.

Also I find it much easier to go after shiek instead of trying to keep her at bay, seeing as how shiek's attacks arnt KO ready untill you hit the 120%s. Sometimes the best defence is a good offence, so try and stay close to shiek as best you can while contantly throwing turnips at her, in the end youll be able to knock shiek too far for her to recover back onto the stage even if she pulls a zelda.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by kabuki64
Mute city is a better place suited for Shiek as there is little room for peach to recover and the incline on some parts of the stage allow shiek to doge most of peache's attacks easier.
You must be joking. Peach can easily pop up from under the stage to keep Sheik guessing, while whenever Sheik tries to recover it basically equates to a free hit for Peach since Sheik doesn't have any ledges to work with. Peach's floating helps her out on this stage a ton. Sheik also needs to play the ground a lot against Peach, and frequent cars hinder this. There's also quite a few slopes for dsmash material.

Another place where peach loses some ground on shiek is that Yoshi stage with the yellow blocks in the middle (sorry the name escapes me at the moment) since theres alot of incline in this stage peache's down smash isnt as effective as in other stages that are flatter.
This is Yoshi's Island. In case you didn't know, slopes such as those here allow Peach's dsmash to score multiple hits when she has the high ground. The stage sucks for Peach though since it has tiny boundaries and KOs are best achieved vertically here--not one of Peach's strong points.

Also I find it much easier to go after shiek instead of trying to keep her at bay, seeing as how shiek's attacks arnt KO ready untill you hit the 120%s. Sometimes the best defence is a good offence, so try and stay close to shiek as best you can while contantly throwing turnips at her, in the end youll be able to knock shiek too far for her to recover back onto the stage even if she pulls a zelda.
Fighting Sheik straight up is risky due to Sheik's grab-dthrow. There's also the fact that Sheik's offense > Peach's offense. Getting in her face is eventually going to set you up for fair via ftilt or standing A. Not a great way to go. I find it best to stay a comfortable distance from Sheik and dealing with encounters defensively. Some situations can call for offensive play, but straight up fighting often turns out bad.

kabuki64

Smash Rookie
Undoubtedly in Mute City you can pop up from under a player onto the flat part of the stage, I mean thats the most obvious and basic attack, however everyone would be expecting this if they see peach under em and all they have to do is either doge or jump away and then retalitate with some attack. Also the cars in the stage arnt anything to worry about, they dont show up for most of the stage anyways and besides Shiek is great at doging stuff.

Yeah thats the stage I meant, and yes you can get em with the dress at an angle, however if they know how to recover all it really does is roll em to the edge of the stage. Yes, yes shieks constant grabing can be annoying for the other players, but shiek can only grab peach 2 times 3 max, as Peach can just float after the 2nd grab leaving you well beyond shiek's grabbing range and allowing you to retaliate any way you wish.

I doubt shiek is stronger than peach, at the very least shiek has to work more on hurting peach than the other way around. Keeping away from shiek wont do much, I mean you can stay back and play defenively with turnips and slapping. However this leaves you waiting for your opponent to strike in, not to mention how boring it is to just stay back all the time, especially when you can rely on trusty down C to save you most of the time if you mess up somehow.

Besides Peach can sort of do the same thing shiek can by doing that down hit that sends em up then just smack em out just like shiek, only it takes some practice to master this and I find it easier to do with a beam sword (or any sword type) just knock em up then charge up your sword and watch em fall into range to hit em. It dosnt really kill em but its fun to do and they cant get out of it easily unless they go up too high and they air recover.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Argh. Nyargh. Hostias!

Undoubtedly in Mute City you can pop up from under a player onto the flat part of the stage, I mean thats the most obvious and basic attack, however everyone would be expecting this if they see peach under em and all they have to do is either doge or jump away and then retalitate with some attack. Also the cars in the stage arnt anything to worry about, they dont show up for most of the stage anyways and besides Shiek is great at doging stuff.
This is why we have recovery mindgames. I find that reserving my DJ and floating a good distance under the platform a perfect setup for recovery. You'd be surprised how difficult it is to counter Peach's Up+B when she's directly below. Even if it whiffs, the open parasol provides excellent protection in close quarters. It's hardly obvious as opposed to Sheik's recovery on Mute.

Yeah thats the stage I meant, and yes you can get em with the dress at an angle, however if they know how to recover all it really does is roll em to the edge of the stage.
And how is that a bad thing for Peach?

Yes, yes shieks constant grabing can be annoying for the other players, but shiek can only grab peach 2 times 3 max, as Peach can just float after the 2nd grab leaving you well beyond shiek's grabbing range and allowing you to retaliate any way you wish.
You can't read. Either that or you completely ingored my previous posts concerning Sheik's grab vs. Peach.

I doubt shiek is stronger than peach, at the very least shiek has to work more on hurting peach than the other way around. Keeping away from shiek wont do much, I mean you can stay back and play defenively with turnips and slapping. However this leaves you waiting for your opponent to strike in, not to mention how boring it is to just stay back all the time, especially when you can rely on trusty down C to save you most of the time if you mess up somehow.
Sheik isn't exactly a ranged fighter. Peach can be when she wants to. If you have the projectile advantage, it's only prudent that you make full use of it, especially after knocking Sheik away. Turnips are a major annoyance to Sheik's offensive game. And also since Peach's defensive options are to the point of excess, she won't have much of a problem countering Sheik if she plays her cards right. You gotta do what you gotta do. It's friggin' Sheik for crying out loud.

Besides Peach can sort of do the same thing shiek can by doing that down hit that sends em up then just smack em out just like shiek, only it takes some practice to master this and I find it easier to do with a beam sword (or any sword type) just knock em up then charge up your sword and watch em fall into range to hit em. It dosnt really kill em but its fun to do and they cant get out of it easily unless they go up too high and they air recover.
That arm sweep thing is Peach's dtilt, and it's one of her best combo moves. On hit, it's basically a free attack on Sheik until she gets into the 100's. However, hitting Sheik with dtilt is not easy. Sheik's ftilt and standing A give her pretty much all she needs to follow up against Peach. As for beamsword, it's better thrown than kept if it's vs. Sheik...

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but you're kinda devolving the match-up for Peach. :/

kabuki64

Smash Rookie
Wha? wernt you the one that started critizing what I wrote? So how am I devolving this thread if I was just trying to give some insite on Peach vs Shiek, which is a specialty of mine seeing as how me and my friend play just peach and shiek since the game came out.

And about trying to escape from Shiek's chain grab, I just mentiond a way to escape which has served me well, also I did read the previous posts all you said was

"Once you get grabbed, try to break out like mad. Most Sheik's simply use dthrow anyways and you can attempt to break the grab without messing up the DI of dthrow"

I was just trying to give a more detalied explanation. Perhaps you havent played some good shieks or maybe your just not a very good peach player I dont know, but what I do know is this hitting Shiek with a dtilt, or whatever you guys call it, is not hard and can work on other characters as well all you have to do is while shiek is attacking you just stay ducked down (but only if you have low percentages) and absorb the damage then just dtilt and continue on your combos.

Ofcourse if you wanna do some heavy damage you have to take on some damage yourself thats where staying ducked down comes in, when Shiek or any character charges at you. Another way to avoid being dthrowen (but its a rather difficult way) is to always try and carry a turnip with you, as soon as you see Shiek coming in for the grab just jump slightly and drop it, you'll still get grabed but once the turnip hits shiek you'll be knocked free.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't believe I missed this post.
Wha? wernt you the one that started critizing what I wrote? So how am I devolving this thread if I was just trying to give some insite on Peach vs Shiek, which is a specialty of mine seeing as how me and my friend play just peach and shiek since the game came out.
Yet your description of the match up is poor or irrelevant. Big Blue and Brinstar Depths are generally places you wouldn't be fighting Sheik. It's rare that Big Blue appears on a tournament match, and in slob picks Mute City rules over all anyway vs. Sheik.

And about trying to escape from Shiek's chain grab, I just mentiond a way to escape which has served me well, also I did read the previous posts all you said was

"Once you get grabbed, try to break out like mad. Most Sheik's simply use dthrow anyways and you can attempt to break the grab without messing up the DI of dthrow"
I didn't mention chain grabbing because it's a very small concern for Peach. The best Sheik can do is link two dthrows from 0% into an ftilt, and that's without any DI. Peach has to worry much more about dthrow to fair/uair combos.

I was just trying to give a more detalied explanation. Perhaps you havent played some good shieks or maybe your just not a very good peach player I dont know, but what I do know is this hitting Shiek with a dtilt, or whatever you guys call it, is not hard and can work on other characters as well all you have to do is while shiek is attacking you just stay ducked down (but only if you have low percentages) and absorb the damage then just dtilt and continue on your combos.
1. Call me a bad Peach again and you're getting floored.

2. Peach's dtilt is i12, which believe it or not is more than enough time for anyone to block or dodge it on reaction. The reach on dtilt isn't anything to die for, either. Hitting with dtilt involves finding an opening in the enemy's defense. Against Sheik it's a challenge to score hits with dtilt to her range and reflexes. I mentioned the importance of dtilt combos against Sheik, but it's still hard to tag her with it.

3. Few people attack Peach head on. It's called Crouch Canceling (CC), using the crouch to absorb blows and dramatically lessen their stun and sending power. Since Peach has plenty of CC options, it'd be wise not to attack Peach head on without a plan, especially since Sheik's ground moves are easily CC'd.

Of course if you wanna do some heavy damage you have to take on some damage yourself thats where staying ducked down comes in, when Shiek or any character charges at you. Another way to avoid being dthrowen (but its a rather difficult way) is to always try and carry a turnip with you, as soon as you see Shiek coming in for the grab just jump slightly and drop it, you'll still get grabed but once the turnip hits shiek you'll be knocked free.
CC is situational. You don't want to center all your attacks around it as you'll still just wind up trading damage.
You'll still suffer a little damage and knockback from the grab. It would be better to just avoid the grab, or Up+B if the grab is really that obvious.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Kabuki, I remember you from MOAST2, and I thought your Peach was very good then and I thought your friend's Sheik was very good then. And they were. But things have changed so dramatically in the metagame since then, and Ryoko has a lot more exp against top level players than you do. He's also one of the bestter Peach players in the country. Trust me, He probably knows a bt more than you do.

TiRune

Smash Ace
As I explained in the jiggly thread already, characters like peach don't need to develop their general strategy that much, but they need strategies to play against every character. that's exactly what puts them lower on the tier list, theyr easier to play well against every character since you would need loads of experience against every character.
The things ryoko posted really work, but it takes time to learn how to counter sheik, whereas the sheik can just work on its general strategy and pwn everything.
Fact is that a peach can be just as good as a sheik as long as the peach has enough practice playing against sheiks...

the same things goes for jiggly but more extreme, jiggly needs a completely different strategy against every character or else you'll get pwned badly.

ofcourse peach has some negative points compared to sheik, but the whole idea of learning this matchup is to negate these negative points. focus on the good points, and try to work the bad points away.

tournament peaches like myself have practiced against sheik often enough to make the matchup in favour of noone so level choice decides who wins... I think the most even lvl for this matchup is pokemon stadium. peach = sheik there IMO. although in smaller levels sheik > peach, and in larger levels peach > sheik...

the upper part of the tier list isn't really a list of which character is actually better factual, but with which character can you get best in the least amount of time... (I deliberately say the upper part since the difference between top and lowest tier is something that takes very long to even measure, but I'm sure that a pro-pichu can pwn a n00b sheik.. but if you'd check a year practicing later the sheik would pwn the pichu BADLY).

btw, I heard of Ryoko as a good peach player (I won't use the word great untill I actually played against him, but what I'e seen on videos he's of comparable level with myself and the other tournament level peach players) so don't call him a n00b peach plz :p

also, in the PAL version we european people play, the downthrow combo sheik has has been removed ^_^

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
If only it were easy for me to meet other players...
anyway, I'll be adding the rest of the guide soon in addition to what I just put in.

D

Deleted member

I'm finding a few things that peach has on sheik that are very good. First, let's look to Sheik's weaknesses. 98% of people say that sheik has no weakness. WRONG. Sheik has 3 things going against her that make her a victim to many smarter players that can abuse them.

First off, a fairly new (TG4) tactic that pretty much every player uses: Dash Dance. Guess what, sheik has a HORRIBLE dash dance. If she dashes at you, for whatever reason, dash right back at her. Her options become: shield, which may or may not get you grabbed. Peach is relatively hard to shield grab. She can fash dance, but that stinks cause her dash animation is fairly short. She can jump out of the way, which you want. She can't really jump to any attack cause her jump is too high. Often what you want is dash to dtilt, float cancel bair or just dash attack.

What may be your best chance against sheik is peach's grab. Upthrow to upair combos are brutal. NEVER SLAP it's too slow sheik will slap you first. just upair alot and run under her and upsmash tip hit. Same as the fox strategy, don't let her land. you should be ok. Peach's uptilt works good too, as does parasol if you're good with it (....or maybe not). best moves to KO with are nair or bair or forward throw. however you set them up is your deal.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Um, sheik's dash dance is actually very good if you slow it a bit instead of ****** the control stick like you do as Marth or Falcon. My friend's main mind games with sheik center around the way he uses her DD. Also, her only real major problem is her recovery. If you make her teleport onto the stage, you can usually get a free smash/rest/whatever if you're not uber slow.

VilNess

Smash Champion
How about shieks fox-trot? is it any good?
I don´t usually go dashing-only at any enemy, I usually either Sprintslide (running wavedash) or foxtrot so I can change direction fast (gruonded approaches). This is with Ness.
If sheiks fox-trot is good her bad DD shouldn´t be a problem.
Since I don´t play shiek this was only theoritcal aspect, so as always, correct if I was wrong.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
One thing that I noticed when watching Mike G. (Peach) vs Isai (Sheik) is that Sheik's get-up-from-the-ground animation is a bit on the slow side. So if you get a Sheik to faceplant or prattfall, dash at her!!!!

Then as soon as you get close enough cc into dsmash. If the Sheik starts to get up before you can cc into dsmash, lightshield/shield. If she starts getting up at the same time as you reach her and cc, she'll be p0wned since her animation is too slow. She starts to get up and bit and THEN she sweeps with her feet.

Since Peach's feet become invincible during dsmash, if you start dsmashing before Sheik's legs are extended, her legs will clash against Peach's dress, however, unless it's timed right, there WON'T be a clink. Instead, she'll be hit!

Also, if she starts her get-up-animation and you're fast enough with the dsmash, she'll get sucked in once her feet extended and be hit by the dsmash!

Also, turnip into edgehog works very well, as does normal edgehogging since Sheik's up+b doesn't damage except for in the opening animation.

Make sure to estimate if edgehogging will work before you do it. You could edgehog into b-air or n-air to destroy a Sheik who's 2nd jumping. Also, if a Sheik is teleporting back to the stage, do NOT load an attack at the edge. Instead, wait patiently, trying to foresee where she'll appear. The moment you see those puffs of smoke, dash up to them, cc into dsmash, grab, shorthop into nair, fair, bair, whatever.

Also, beware of when you pick up turnips. Sheiks needles are too fast. BUT, you can always reflective shield them. Just get the practice and you'll be able to do it 1 out of at least 3 tries. Since Sheik is a shortrange fighter besides her needles, floatcancel works great.

Also, shorthopping, floatcancelling, floating, whatever, into bair destroys Sheik since bair outprioritizes most of her attacks. Even if her fair connects, she will be hit as well.

flagitious

Smash Apprentice
I kind of got the impression from reading this that peach should be making shiek come to her. But in my limited matches versus shiek I could not pull up turnips with needles coming at me.

Perhaps this is something I need to work on. Maybe jumping over a needle and grabing a turnip in time to block the next turnip. I don't know if it really is possible to pull up turnips with shiek shooting needles, I will try to test it.

flagitious

Smash Apprentice
Ok its definitly possible to pull up turnips with a pestering shiek. Easiest way is to cc if ones coming and then grab the turnip. Don't try to pull one up if your going to get hit or it will cancel the turnip. Best theoretical way I can think of is to power shield them and then DJL to cancel your shield then grab turnip. There's probably a method that is the middle ground of these and most preferable. What do you think?

EDIT: This is assuming final destination otherwise platforms could easily allow you to pick up turnips

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pulling turnips can also be done at a distance from Sheik as I think those pesky needles evaporate after a little distance travelled.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
wow, if only other character match up threads where like this, u own ryoko
*gets an idea*

buttons

Smash Rookie
RyokoYaksa said:
1. Call me a bad Peach again and you're getting floored.
that definately deserves a spot in someones sig and since no one else has, I take it upon myself. go Ryoko.

Fonz

Smash Ace
RyokoYaksa said:
If you see fair coming and can't do anything about it, just hold the control stick up+towards (same way you'd DI a forward throw).
I like the guide, but I had one question about your DI suggestion for the fair. Since the fair has a low send angle wouldn't a DI of straight up be preferred? // DI does nothing so the towards portion of your DI wouldn't count. Fthrows generally send up and to the side which calls for the up and towards DI.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've tried and tested it before and found that up+towards prevents death better than just straight up when it comes to Sheik's forward air.

Fonz

Smash Ace
RyokoYaksa said:
I've tried and tested it before and found that up+towards prevents death better than just straight up when it comes to Sheik's forward air.
Fair enough, that makes it easier I suppose because its habbit to di attacks with traditional send angles up and towards.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
RyokoYaksa said:
that's because the more perpedndicular your angle of DI is the greater the affect it has.

Fonz

Smash Ace
Ignatius said:
that's because the more perpedndicular your angle of DI is the greater the affect it has.
Since sheik's fair sends horizontally wouldn't straight up be more perpendicular than up and towards?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Fair doesn't send horizontally, it sends at I guess aorund a 30 degree angle below the horizontal. So it ends horizontal and down somewhat. Perpendicular to down and left would be up and right. Just Up doesn't cut it.

Note: good tip against sheik, ALWAYS SAVE YOUR JUMP, never ever use it until the end when recovering. Sheik will needle you, then if you dont have a jump you will get edgehogged. ALWAYS conserve the jump if you plan to come from the side and not the top.

Many times sheik will throw needles when they see you duck, estimating that you are holding down to pull out a turnip. Use this as a mind game and duck, wait for the needles, block them, then pull out your turnip.

Fonz

Smash Ace
EdreesesPieces said:
Fair doesn't send horizontally, it sends at I guess aorund a 30 degree angle below the horizontal. So it ends horizontal and down somewhat. Perpendicular to down and left would be up and right. Just Up doesn't cut it.
Huh? No way, it appears like it goes downward for the send angle because soon after you're hit you start falling down. Go to training mode, set your opponent to jigglypuff (for the floatiness so its really easy to tell), and set them to human so they don't DI. Give them about 50% damage, tilt to get them up in the air. Then fair, you can see they go pretty much horizontal, even up a little bit. I was kinda surprised at the results when i set the damage to 999 with jiggly(or any opponent) in the air and set to human. The send angle was about 30 degrees ABOVE the horizontal. I suppose that this would explain why up+towards is better. I suppose 30 degree past vertical towards would be the best DI then. The normal 45 degree between up and towards would be better than straight up though being only 15 degrees off.

Edit: I guess the moral is don't question ryoko, he was right!

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
At the last tournament I noticed I had a lot of trouble with my approaches particularly against sheik.

It feels like my strategies don't work well against her. My float cancel game just gets ftilted and my entire ground game gets ftilted and jabbed. I may have just been out of practice, but I was having a very hard time countering it.

I feel like as I'm advancing with my play as Peach, I keep encountering tactics that I have no idea as to how it can be dealt with. Another of my friends plays Marth and I can't seem to figure out how to get through his never ending short hop double fairs.

I could say that on my bad days, most people could beat me by using the same tactic over and over again. It's frustrating to think that my mind games have these major weaknesses that I can't figure out how to counter something.

Husband

Smash Lord
A good sheik will just follow you no matter which way you DI. Just know that you have to DI the hit that is coming so Just DI the throw, THEN DI the Hit and Hold on for the Ride!

EDIT: Its really easy for peach to get through the Short up Double F air. Sounds like you could use some Husband and Wife Training. You should set up an appointment for our Tutoring service. Keep in mind that I offered free training for Peach but I already have one guy that Im going to help so you might just have to wait till I'm done with my first Apprentice

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Sorry, but I don't think I'm all that interested in paying for a tutoring service. Tournaments are my tutoring service. :p

I'll keep improving so long as I have the time to play.

Top Bottom