• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Patch Notes for 1.1.1

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Just to be thorough, here's the gifs showing our new grab:

Top is 1.06, bottom is 1.08.

D-tilt and grab are the only frame changes I found.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Copied for convenience.
Link
----
Jab 1
massive adjustments; hitbox timings, sizes, positions, angles, and knockback entirely reworked with separate ground/aerial target hitboxes
Dtilt
animation speed 1.33x for frames 0-12 (2 frames faster?)
hitboxes
damage 12 -> 11
x 12.8/15.4 -> 14.1/16.6
Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
animation speed 1.25x for frames 30-70 instead of 1.33x for frames 30-54 (3 frames faster?)
Dash Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
animation speed 1.25x for frames 32-71 (8 frames faster?)
Pivot Grab
unknown param 37 -> 41
animation speed 1.25x for frames 33-72 (8 frames faster?)
Fthrow
throwbox 0 (launching component of throw)
angle 55 -> 50
Dthrow
damage 4 -> 3
angle 110 -> 83
kbg 90 -> 85
Spin Attack
all stage 1 (of 4) hitboxes
kbg 84 -> 85
all stage 2 (of 4) hitboxes
kbg 80 -> 85
all stage 3 (of 4) hitboxes
kbg 80 -> 82
Shocking Spin Attack
all stage 2 (of 3) hitboxes
kbg 80 -> 82

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Copied for convenience.
Link
----
Jab 1
massive adjustments; hitbox timings, sizes, positions, angles, and knockback entirely reworked with separate ground/aerial target hitboxes
Dtilt
hitboxes
damage 12 -> 11
x 12.8/15.4 -> 14.1/16.6
Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
animation speed 1.25x for frames 30-70 instead of 1.33x for frames 30-54 (3 frames faster?)
Dash Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
Pivot Grab
unknown param 37 -> 41
Fthrow
angle 55 -> 50
Dthrow
damage 4 -> 3
angle 110 -> 83
kbg 90 -> 85
Spin Attack
kbg 84 -> 85
kbg 80 -> 85
kbg 80 -> 82
Shocking Spin Attack
kbg 80 -> 82
Can we get a proper explanation on jab 1? Is it a buff from last patch in any way?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Well it was completely reworked... Some testing needs to be done to see what happened exactly to jab 1 but I can only assume it got buffed with all the changes it got.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Probably changed up the hitboxes and altered angles to combo better into jabs 2 and 3 would be my guess. I haven't really looked at it but it doesn't seem like we got our IASA frames back. Someone should investigate.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Probably changed up the hitboxes and altered angles to combo better into jabs 2 and 3 would be my guess. I haven't really looked at it but it doesn't seem like we got our IASA frames back. Someone should investigate.
From general playing I don't think it can do anything crazy but who know. Maybe landing it in a jumping opponent might do something interesting

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Unfortunately nothing in terms of IASA frames were touched for Link. But actually being able to connect jabs is...a necessity.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Why wasn't our up-smash mentioned in the change notes? Are we sure that the jab 1 thing wasn't just a typo when it should have said up-smash?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Apparently our Fthrow has a slightly changed angle and better IASA frames too.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Why wasn't our up-smash mentioned in the change notes? Are we sure that the jab 1 thing wasn't just a typo when it should have said up-smash?
It was a general change towards all multi-hit moves. As you already note, aerial UpB does not connect in the same terms than before (as a matter of facts, i use to get more hits in punching bag if i started aerial UpB very close to it. Right now it is not possible).

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So, think we can get a recap of all confirmed changes so I can edit the OP? So far was know:

- Usmash has been changed so that all 3 hits connect.
- Dthrow's kb was changed to its easier to string it and works as a setup now.
- Grab is safer on miss.
- Dash grab is faster on start up, safer on miss, and does it have more range as well?
- Pivot grab is much safer on miss.
- Dtilt doesn't spike anymore, is faster and is a launcher, has dmg reduced, can be followed by other attacks.
- Arrow dmg reduced from 14% to 12%

And I missing something?

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
- Usmash has been changed so that all 3 hits connect.
Usmash hasn't been changed, multi-hit move properties have been changed so that the seperate hits now have a suck-in effect.
- Dthrow's kb was changed to its easier to string it and works as a setup now..
Damage of Dthrow has been reduced from 4% to 3%, and angle has been changed from 110 to 83 degrees.
Grab is safer on miss.
Grab cooldown on miss has been reduced by presumably 3 frames (animation speed 1.25x for frames 30-70 instead of 1.33x for frames 30-54).
- Dash grab is faster on start up, safer on miss, and does it have more range as well?
Grab range has been improved on dash grab, normal grab and pivot grab. Nothing has been done to start-up. The unknown parameter is obviously range, the others are animation speed changes (which are all for cooldown when missed, not start-up):

Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
Dash Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
Pivot Grab
unknown param 37 -> 41
- Dtilt doesn't spike anymore, is faster and is a launcher, has dmg reduced, can be followed by other attacks.
Dtilt hitboxes have been altered again, it has faster start-up (2 frames), lasts less long (3 frames total) damage has been reduced from 12% to 11%, knockback has been changed. It still spikes:
1. Our Dtilt spike is still very present, I killed a Lucas with it when he was at 120%. It was on Smashville, he was the ledge ready to rope and I was standing quite a bit back from the ledge. (His response: ":O ... That SPIKES!?") I was planning to just hit him up for a Fair or Uair.
See this post:
As mentioned, Link's d-tilt is faster. In terms of frames, it's 3 frames faster; the total frame count is down to 28, from the previous 31. This also reduced the start-up by 2 frames; 11 frames, down from 13.

Frame-by-frame gifs demonstrating:

- Arrow dmg reduced from 14% to 12%
That was done in an earlier patch, possibly transition from 3DS to Wii U.

You missed:
Jab 1

Spin Attack
kbg 84 -> 85
kbg 80 -> 85
kbg 80 -> 82
Shocking Spin Attack
kbg 80 -> 82

Fthrow
angle 55 -> 50
IASA frames improved (allowing Link to move earlier)

Hylian shield now blocks Villager's Fair / Bair

Also:
All ledge trickery has been removed, including the bombslide/dash throw slide-off ((this thing), the faster freefall after using Up B near the ledge (this thing), and SAF, SAFCs (this thing). Ledge stuff like that is out in general, i.e. Zelda's love cancel, Samus' missile cancel, Yoshi's egg cancel &c.
The phoenix bomb AT has been patched out.
For someone always lecturing people you really should learn to read and interpret.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Usmash hasn't been changed, multi-hit move properties have been changed so that the seperate hits now have a suck-in effect.

Damage of Dthrow has been reduced from 4% to 3%, and angle has been changed from 110 to 83 degrees.

Grab cooldown on miss has been reduced by presumably 3 frames (animation speed 1.25x for frames 30-70 instead of 1.33x for frames 30-54).

Grab range has been improved on dash grab, normal grab and pivot grab. Nothing has been done to start-up. The unknown parameter is obviously range, the others are animation speed changes (which are all for cooldown when missed, not start-up):

Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
Dash Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
Pivot Grab
unknown param 37 -> 41

Dtilt hitboxes have been altered again, it has faster start-up (2 frames), lasts less long (3 frames total) damage has been reduced from 12% to 11%, knockback has been changed. It still spikes:

See this post:

That was done in an earlier patch, possibly transition from 3DS to Wii U.

You missed:
Jab 1

Spin Attack
kbg 84 -> 85
kbg 80 -> 85
kbg 80 -> 82
Shocking Spin Attack
kbg 80 -> 82

Fthrow
angle 55 -> 50
IASA frames improved (allowing Link to move earlier)

Hylian shield now blocks Villager's Fair / Bair

Also:

For someone always lecturing people you really should learn to read and interpret.
So I was lazy once. Sue me.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Just to be thorough, here's the gifs showing our new grab:

Top is 1.06, bottom is 1.08.

D-tilt and grab are the only frame changes I found.
Can you give us some comparisons on Link's grab range? You don't even need to be frame perfect about it, because all you need to show is the max range of grab in the update grabbing someone, whereas in pre-patch it would miss. But yeah, it's up to you of course.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Can you give us some comparisons on Link's grab range? You don't even need to be frame perfect about it, because all you need to show is the max range of grab in the update grabbing someone, whereas in pre-patch it would miss. But yeah, it's up to you of course.
According to the data

Copied for convenience.
Link
----
Jab 1
Dtilt
hitboxes
damage 12 -> 11
x 12.8/15.4 -> 14.1/16.6
Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
Dash Grab
unknown param 28 -> 32
Pivot Grab
unknown param 37 -> 41
Fthrow
angle 55 -> 50
Dthrow
damage 4 -> 3
angle 110 -> 83
kbg 90 -> 85
Spin Attack
kbg 84 -> 85
kbg 80 -> 85
kbg 80 -> 82
Shocking Spin Attack
kbg 80 -> 82

"unknown param 28 -> 32"
grab seems to be 32 units long instead of 28. Although it feels like it got more of a buff than that so the "unknown param" could only be the animation extended but the grab-bubbles were buffed more. *shrug

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Mess around some with the grab and you will realize how much longer it is. The new range is really useful and I have been able to grab reset opponents with little commitment. Anyone know if the longer hookshot grab also makes our tether recovery longer?

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Mess around some with the grab and you will realize how much longer it is. The new range is really useful and I have been able to grab reset opponents with little commitment. Anyone know if the longer hookshot grab also makes our tether recovery longer?
Zair and the corresponding tether appear unchanged. (They were always longer than the grab in any case, which didn't make any sense.)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Like I said in the metagame thread, Link's new grab is as long as Shulk's Fsmash.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Zair and the corresponding tether appear unchanged. (They were always longer than the grab in any case, which didn't make any sense.)
We are in Sakurai's world rationality mean nothing here. Link's recovery is passable at the moment so no big deal.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
The easiest way I knew the grab length had been extended was that you could grab the CPU Link that appears before you during the waiting room in the online matchmaking. Pre-patch, if you immediately did a standing grab, the grab would not be long enough. Post-patch the grab now connects.

I'm guessing the developers may have also wanted the length of the clawshot to be consistent both as grab and as a zair? Pre-patch, the zair had more range than a grab. Now it seems even.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Our zair still has more range. It seems to whiff edges more now, though. Or I'm just bad at landing the tether. Probably the latter.

Anyway, edit:
I've done some testing and I can confirm that our dtilt's spike/meteor hitboxes are still there, but the hitboxes have been changed again. You can test this by setting the CPU to jump and spacing yourself so that the tip of the sword will hit your opponent just as they're about to land on the ground. In other words, it appears that the new hitboxes are the entirety of the tip of the sword, instead of just the underside.

That's right. Our dtilt can now spike our opponents into the ground while they're landing or jumping. At lower-mid-(character dependent)high percents, it's nothing more than a soft spike. They can't tech it and can act immediately out of it. But if your opponent doesn't expect to be spiked (which isn't uncommon), it can mess with their timing and you get a free grab or well-spaced f-smash. On larger characters and slow fallers, it's easier to hit the spike because timing is more lenient. On faster fallers, timing is very difficult, but since the cooldown on our dtilt is good now we can whiff and shield and be pretty much safe. If you mistime the dtilt but still hit them, they're now above you and you can follow up as normal.

When it meteors, the likelihood of your opponent teching the ground out of it is slim, so you get a free fsmash which should net you the stock, due to the meteor hit% being around the kill % for our fsmash. Come characters can fall out of the second hit of our fsmash though (**** you kirby) so an ftilt on floaty characters with few hitboxes will hit and possibly kill.

I went ahead and tested the percents where the meteor starts on a few characters. The rest of the cast will fall somewhere in-between them.
Jigglypuff: 92%
Mario: 110%
Bowser: 129%

Last edited:

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
For patch 1.09 Bombsliding is still in. Down-throw appears to be exactly the same as well.

I doubt Link was changed this patch to be honest.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
No chars were changed, replays still work. Probably just a bugfix/stability patch

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
From what I heard a single file (of which I forgot what it was called) was changed and nobody really knows what its for.
Thats all.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I heard it was to improve connectivity for online.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I've updated the name of the thread. Posts concerning any changes to Link should be posted in here. Feel free to post placebo as it will give people things to test, but do not post pure speculation or any changes to other characters. Any relevant and confirmed changes to other characters can be posted about in MU threads or the social.

Serac

Smash Cadet
In the dash attack the middle of the blade seems to have better knockback, even better than the tipped version. It also seems harder to land.

AtlusKnight

Smash Rookie
Dash Grab got shaved off one frame and that includes our pivot grab.

As for SpecialHi trying to figure that out but a lot of variables got changed there.

and for the last thing I literally need to find out what the numbers mean.

FSK

Smash Ace
Checked the hitstun on dthrow and it seems to be the same. Tested on sheik at 130% both on pre-patch (old clip) and post-patch. Knockback also seems to be the same.

Something has changed since you could never true combo sheik with dthrow-uair at 110% with sheik DI'ing away from Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Checked the hitstun on dthrow and it seems to be the same. Tested on sheik at 130% both on pre-patch (old clip) and post-patch. Knockback also seems to be the same.

Something has changed since you could never true combo sheik with dthrow-uair at 110% with sheik DI'ing away from Link.
Slightly less KB maybe?

Top Bottom