• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paranoiafia: Game Over

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
well if hes town then it could be true.

not the same as if it was a 12 player game and only one d2 or something

sigh

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
well if he's town he should also try to convince me to go for someone else. i see him hating on scumfevah and i'm not a big fan of him either but he's been vague with everyone he's suspected

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
hi. i'm here.

Hando's town read is total scumdar/gut. take what you will from that.

i'll claim if you want me to as well

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Day 2 Final Vote Count
Handorin (2): Marshy, Pierre the Scarecrow
Riddle (2): junglefever, Handorin

Not voting: Macman, Riddle

"You. You there."

"Me?"

"You been unhelpful this whole time."

"Naw."

"Yuh-huh, you have."

"Naw."

"Yuh-huh."

"Naw."

"Yuh-huh."

"Naw."

"Yuh-huh."

The sun grew tired of this exchange and began to set.

"Hey, time's runnin' out. Who we gon' lynch?"

"The fella who's been unhelpful, that's who."

And so the townspeople descended on the unhelpful man. One reached for his neck and began to strangle him while the others restrained him and beat him. This victim, much like the one from the previous day, hardly showed any resistance or even a will to live. And when it was all over, the town too reacted as it had one day before--with shock and dismay.

Handorin (town) now lied before them, dead.

The sun did its part next. In the distance, the sun faded away along with the hopes of the town.

Day 2 ends. Night 2 begins.

Night actions are due Friday, December 4 at 11:59:59 PM ET.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
The sun rose to the remaining townspeople standing in the center of town. Each stood at odds with the others.

"Ain't none of us dead, huh."

"Nope."

"Well, then. You know what we gotta do."

Night 2 ends. Day 3 begins.

With 5 alive, it takes 3 to lynch.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
"Well, at least one'uh us is maf-yia."

"One? Gotta be more than that."

"Huh? What makes yuh say that?"

"Well, see, one man ain't a mafia. A mafia's gotta be a team, you know. Can't do nothing if you're only workin' by yourself."

A gunshot rang out.

"****it!"

One of the townspeople was on the ground. Two other members of the town instinctively ran over to him, but it was too late. junglefever (town) was dead.

"This ain't good," one of them said.

"What do you mean?"

The two who had come to their fallen comrade's aid now looked up. The two other townspeople--or people, anyway--each wore a menacing glare. One was still pointing the gun at the spot where junglefever had stood. Next to him, the other took out one of his own.

"Things are lookin' great for us."

With two more shots, both remaining townspeople fell to the ground themselves. They were hurt, but remained conscious.

"Havin' a partner does really make things easier," said one of the mafia as they both slowly approached. "For starters, they can cover for you while you shoot someone."

"Even in broad daylight."

"Yup. Everyone always thinks we're gonna do somethin' to 'em at night. Ends up makin' 'em paranoid, you see."

"Too paranoid, maybe."

"We like to change things up. Keep people guessin'. 'Cause usually, you know, they guess wrong."

The two mafiosos were now at the bodies of the town's final three survivors.

One of them shrugged. "Sometimes being paranoid hurts."

With one final shot apiece, Marshy (town) and Macman (town) were each dispensed with.

"Maf-yia indeed."

The game is over. Mafia (Riddle, Pierre the Scarecrow) win!

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Roles:

Marshy, Macman, junglefever, SwordsRbroken, Handorin
You are a paranoid gun owner. Each Night you can choose to be paranoid or relaxed. If you are paranoid, you will automatically shoot anyone who visits you at Night. If you are relaxed, you will not. If you fail to send in an action, you will remain paranoid.

You are town-aligned and win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
Five PGOs. Or, in a game like this, "vanilla townies". Title character indeed.

Nicholas1024
You are a sane cop. Huh. Each Night you can investigate one player and determine whether or not they own a gun. You know that all members of the mafia own a gun, but not all gun owners are necessarily mafia. If you fail to send in an action, you will not investigate anybody.

Nick was the "sane" cop; that said, since everyone but one townie (the vanilla) owned a gun, he would get a guilty on everyone except for that person. I fully expected this role to hit a PGO within the first Night or two, and indeed he did. The role was mainly intended to be ironic (a known sane cop in a game called "Paranoiafia"?), but also to make the game somewhat less predictable and less obviously vanilla.

mentosman8
You are a paranoid cop. Look, I'm just being honest with you. Each Night your nightstick-wielding, gun-toting, rock-em-sock-em personality can choose someone to investigate and, inevitably, find guilty. That'll have nothing to do with their... guilt, of course, but c'mon: the game's called "Paranoiafia". At least you know--maybe it can be that simple? If you fail to send in an action, you will not conduct an investigation.

Mentos was paranoid, just like his role said. He died because he investigated N0, although I don't totally understand why he did that--I guess he thought I was joking? But I wasn't. This role was partly meant to complicate a claim and partly meant to corroborate the identical mafia fake claim.

Gheb_01
You are a vanilla townie. You have no Night actions.

You are town-aligned and win when all threats to town are eliminated.
Gheb was actually a vanilla townie, just to screw with your minds if you tried a roleclaim. He's the only one who would appear innocent to the sane cop.

Riddle
You are a mafia goon. Your partner is Pierre the Scarecrow. You may communicate via whatever means you wish as long as you both remain in the game and alive, but only during Night phases. You may not communicate during the Day or during Twilight. Starting Night 1, you may select a player to anonymously shoot and kill. You may also elect to defer your Night kill until the following Day, but if you defer your kill and fail to send it in before that Day ends (i.e. before Twilight), you will not be able to make it up later. You are responsible for sending your actions to me and carrying them out; if you die before your partner, your partner will take over this job. You yourself are bulletproof.

You win when only members of your faction remain alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Here is a fake claim you can choose to refer to if you deem it advantageous:

You are a paranoid cop. Look, I'm just being honest with you. Each Night your nightstick-wielding, gun-toting, rock-em-sock-em personality can choose someone to investigate and, inevitably, find guilty. That'll have nothing to do with their... guilt, of course, but c'mon: the game's called "Paranoiafia". At least you know--maybe it can be that simple? If you fail to send in an action, you will not conduct an investigation.

Pierre
You are a mafia goon. Your partner is Riddle. You may communicate via whatever means you wish as long as you both remain in the game and alive, but only during Night phases. You may not communicate during the Day or during Twilight. Starting Night 1, you may select a player to anonymously shoot and kill. You may also elect to defer your Night kill until the following Day, but if you defer your kill and fail to send it in before that Day ends (i.e. before Twilight), you will not be able to make it up later. Your partner is responsible for sending your actions to me and carrying them out; if your partner dies before you, you will take over this job. You yourself are bulletproof.

You win when only members of your faction remain alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Here is a fake claim you can choose to refer to if you deem it advantageous:

You are a paranoid gun owner. Each Night you can choose to be paranoid or relaxed. If you are paranoid, you will automatically shoot anyone who visits you at Night. If you are relaxed, you will not. If you fail to send in an action, you will remain paranoid.

Your scum duo--yeah, they're bulletproof, making all the PGOs useless against them. You'll note they did not have a kill N0 (both of those kills were caused by active PGOs), and they deferred both of their Night kills. The purpose of letting the scum team defer their kill was mainly just to make people paranoid that something sinister was afoot--giving them an extra kill to use during the Day would be too unbalanced, though. Practically, deferring the kill could do no harm to town other than potentially waste some time during the Day, since there was no way anyone could interfere with their kill in either case. On top of that, votes were reset after they killed someone, and if the deadline was less than a week away at that point, it would have been extended too. They contemplated pretending to have a vig kill, but claiming that would have made it hard to justify targeting Gheb D2.

You'll also note that this game did not permit Day talk. I think that might have thrown Riddle off in another game....

Actions:

Night 0
junglefever is relaxed
Macman is relaxed
SwordsRbroken is paranoid
Marshy is paranoid (kills Nicholas1024)
Handorin is paranoid (kills mentosman8)
mentosman8 investigates Handorin (Handorin is guilty)
Nicholas1024 investigates Marshy (Marshy has a gun)
Night 1
junglefever is paranoid
Macman is paranoid (no action received)
Marshy is paranoid (no action received)
Handorin is paranoid
Riddle kills no one (no action received)
Day 2
Riddle kills Gheb_01
Night 2
junglefever is paranoid (no action received)
Macman is paranoid
Marshy is paranoid
Riddle kills no one (no action received)
Day 3
Riddle kills junglefever

General end of game thoughts:

Setting aside a couple of twists, this game was basically a vanilla mafia game. The point was to make everyone paranoid that there was more to the game than that (or something). I meant for it to basically be a 9-man game, and I guess you can fault me for creating a second role that could get shot by a PGO (as opposed to just the one that I thought would get shot) but that's just how it goes sometimes. For all intents and purposes, once D1 began the setup was 6 vanilla townies vs. 2 vanilla mafia goons. The game was partial card flip, but in a vanilla game this didn't (shouldn't) matter. Even the actual power roles were pretty much powerless.

Maybe I should have anticipated the paranoid cop might have wanted to test his power, but to be honest the only reason he was a "paranoid cop" and not a PGO or straight-up vanilla was to make a roleclaim more confusing (since I couldn't give both mafia PGO as a safeclaim--that would have made the premise too obvious). Even then the odds that both he and Nick would die N0 were pretty low. So, even though it's kind of your fault, sorry town--I did mean for you guys to have another mislynch at your disposal.

Still, I was pretty disappointed by town play. Despite numbers being stacked against you the stakes were pretty clear from the get go, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed by town's scumhunting. Half of the game seemed to revolve around an unnatural disdain for Handorin before he'd even had much of a chance of doing anything noteworthy. I guess that's the current meta to some degree, but it clearly wasn't an effective strategy in this game. Maybe people were uninterested by how small a game this turned out to be--I dunno. I'm not a fan of huge games because of inactivity issues, so I tried to take this in the opposite direction. Might have been too far.

Hope people enjoyed themselves, although I suspect more active play all around might have made it at least somewhat more exciting (and perhaps competitive). Congratulations to Riddle and Pierre on their win, and thanks to all the other players for playing.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I agree scumhunting was kind of bad. It was pretty easy to manipulate town with the daykill.

Pierre - Clean Sweep! It was fun being scum with you.

Gheb - Town MVP for sure. I waited until you were pushing a lynch on a townie (scumfever) and then daykilled you.

Mentos - Seriously?

Nick - Tough Luck

PGO's - Lol the only people you could kill was the cops. Pretty funny that they both died night 1. Obvioiusly you should have been relaxed the whole time. The no kills actually worked quite well with the day killing, since you guys all thought that we were scared to kill.

Kirby King - It was an interesting game. I bet it would have been pretty balanced without the bad scumhunting and early mentos death.

Kirby King said:
You'll also note that this game did not permit Day talk. I think that might have thrown Riddle off in another game....
Lol

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yay @ the setup; boo @ the players.

The setup was interesting although a tad flawed. Scum could just sit back and watch town PRs getting PGOed and then shoot the obvtowns. Paranoia is a good addition in a mafia game but I think this was a bit too much. Two cops that TOGETHER get only one innocent and have 50% chance of death for merely investigating? Both scumbags are bulletproof? Add a one-shot SK and a Vig instead of the two cops and you get a more balanced game than that. It was basically 4 mafia lives vs 10 townies, which is ridiculous. Idea for the setup is great but it needed some work imo. I hope we'll get to see Paranoiafia 2 with more Paranoia and scumhunting and less town-taking-itself out.

Players were uber-lame and I'm dissapointed. It was impossible for me to convince this town that either Riddle or Scumfever just HAD to be scum (which I explained in great detail over and over) but the tunnelvision against Hando was so ridiculous and unnecesary that I really got tired of playing this game. A town that doesn't cooperate is a bad town.

:059:

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
The point behind the game was to make it largely vanilla, though. The base design was 7 vanilla town/2 mafia goons. The eighth townie was the sane cop who I thought would die quickly, and one of the 7 was someone I just didn't think would get himself shot--those were the only players in the entire game who could have been shot by a PGO, and the odds were still against the two of them dying Night 0. I'll take the blame for the paranoid cop, but aside from that I thought the setup was pretty balanced provided the town actually bothered to scumhunt. SWF games like power roles almost so much that players expect to be able to rely on them, and needless to say that doesn't work in a game with no (useful) power roles.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Blast it kirby king, I finally get to be a cop, and practically everyone's a miller that can kill you. :(

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
love this set up kiki. Pretty **** amazing.

yea we sucked. oh wells.
dunno why ppl wud go paranoid n0 =/

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man, I'm disappointed in myself after seeing the setup. In all honesty, I just wanted to get one investigation in so if by chance there was a sane cop, I would have a chance to know what they would get in their PM(guilty, anti-town, etc) so if there was a sane cop claim I could "test" them by seeing what they got in their guilty. Obviously after seeing the setup, this was a terrible idea(I had thought only 1 PGO, and definitely hadn't expected them to be tensed N0). Anyway, I'm sorry town for getting myself killed so early for something decidedly useless.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i dunno i thought it was sorta obvious that there would be more than one paranoid gun owner when 1) the game is called PARANOIafia and 2) the title character he mentions is the PGO.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Good setup, tunnel visioned town, ok mafia members that fed off of Marshy's hate of nothing.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I don't really think the town was tunnelvisioned in this game. The major tunnelvisioning came from Scumcrow and he justified it against Handorin's failure to adequately fight back. I wouldn't blame Marshy and Macman for agreeing against Handorin. Gheb played very well, again, despite his town. I'm becoming a really big Gheb fan.

Interesting setup Kiki.

Handorin

Smash Hero
When someone tells me how to adequately fight back against "Is Hando dead yet?"

I will add it to my notes.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
that is a good point, and i will give you that - it is very frustrating to fight back against marshy's playstyle. but you really did answer all the wrong questions against scumcrow.

Handorin

Smash Hero
that is a good point, and i will give you that - it is very frustrating to fight back against marshy's playstyle. but you really did answer all the wrong questions against scumcrow.
I realize that.

Doesn't make Marshy any better though.

Pierre the Scarecrow

Grasping at Straws
Good game, everyone. Thanks for hosting, Kirby King. The setup was good and entertaining, but also most definitely one source of the town stagnation. It must have been a bit harder to scumhunt just because everything was... different.

I think I am going to wait until my other game is finished before joining another.

Top Bottom