• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paranoiafia: Game Over

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to Paranoiafia!

This is a game of Mafia for the especially paranoid. It turns out the mafia has come a-knockin' 'round these parts, and this town is not going to take it! No sirree.

The following links may help new players become acquainted with the game:
Newbie Guide: Introduction for new players.
Basic Rules: Reading these rules, along with the game's specific rules, will help you understand the game.
Common Roles: Includes a description of the roles both commonly and uncommonly found in Mafia.
Smashboards Mafia Archives: This archive includes examples of past Mafia games in Decisive Games.

The title character in this game is the paranoid gun owner. This is his role PM:
You are a paranoid gun owner. Each Night you can choose to be paranoid or relaxed. If you are paranoid, you will automatically shoot anyone who visits you at Night. If you are relaxed, you will not. If you fail to send in an action, you will remain paranoid.

You are town-aligned and win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
That's all you get for now! To get a role PM of your very own, you need to play. (Or wait until the game ends and take your pick, I guess. But then it won't really be "yours".)

But first, the rules:

Fundamental:
1. Have fun, and do not ruin the fun for others.
2. Unless your role states otherwise, no communication about the game is allowed outside of this thread. In addition, no communication about this game is allowed with non-players or players who are dead, even if you yourself are dead. (If you are dead, you may not discuss the game with anyone who is currently playing, even if you could while you were alive, unless your role specifically states otherwise.)
3. a) No quoting mod PMs or fake quoting mod PMs. Not even partial quoting. Or partial fake quoting. Summarizing is acceptable. Exception: any mod PM that has been posted publicly by the game moderator may be quoted freely.
3. b) You are allowed to quote mod PMs privately to any member that you are allowed to communicate with outside this thread.
4. Editing your posts is not allowed. I consider an "edit" to be anything that causes "Last edited by..." to appear underneath your actual post.
5. Do not post hidden text. (Spoiler tags are allowed because they are easily noticeable. Posting text with the intent to hide it from other players, e.g. by changing the text color to resemble the page background, is not permitted.)

Voting and Lynching:
6. All votes and unvotes must be clearly labeled and entirely bolded (Vote: Kirby King, Unvote). I won't count votes/unvotes that are not properly formatted or don't actually contain the words "vote" or "unvote," respectively. It is up to you to catch whether another player is voting or... not.
7. When changing your vote, you must unvote your previous vote before you revote.
8. A lynch decision is finalized the moment the voting threshold has been reached, regardless of any voting/unvoting that may follow. The voting threshold is based on the number of players alive and is posted at the beginning of each Day and in each vote count.
9. You may vote for a "no lynch" if desired. If enough players vote "no lynch" to reach the voting threshold, the game will progress without a lynch.
10. Once a lynch decision (including no lynch) or a deadline is reached, the game enters "Twilight," where all players may continue to post until the moderator officially ends the Day. Any votes/unvotes cast during Twilight do not count.
11. Once you are dead, you may not post in this thread or communicate with anyone about the game, except as stated otherwise in your role PM. Period. Not even a "bah" post.

Activity and Deadline:
12. Day deadlines will be set on an as-needed basis. I am much more willing to set deadlines than I am to extend them; activity lulls will lead to deadlines. Each Night phase will be approximately 48-72 hours long.
13. If deadline is reached during the Day before a majority decision is made, the person with the most votes will be lynched. In case of a tie, the person who reached and remained at or above that total first will be lynched.
14. If a player does not post in the thread in a 72 hour span, I will prod them if another player requests their prod in thread. If the inactive player does not respond to the prod in a reasonable amount of time (either by posting in thread or contacting me via PM), or if they accrue too many prods, they will be replaced or modkilled. These restrictions are intentionally left vague.
15. If you will be unable to participate for 72 hours or longer, PM me or post in thread.

Game Specific:
16. This game is partial reveal. When a player dies, only their name and alignment will be revealed.
17. All roles are assigned entirely at random.

Active
3. Riddle, mafia
6. Pierre the Scarecrow, mafia

Eliminated
7. Nicholas1024, town, killed Night 0
8. mentosman8, town, killed Night 0
9. SwordsRbroken, town, lynched Day 1
4. Gheb_01, town, killed Day 2
10. Handorin, town, lynched Day 2
5. junglefever, town, killed Day 3
1. Marshy, town, killed in endgame
2. Macman, town, killed in endgame

Replacements
1. Omis
2. Circus
3. Cacti
4. Evil Eye

If you would like to be a replacement, PM me. Don't post in the thread if you're not playing.

Roles are on the way. Don't post in this thread until I say you can.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Rumors were spreading throughout the town.

"Did ya hear?"

"Hear what?"

"The maf-yia. Maf-ee-ya, mafyuh. Somethin' like tha'."

"What? What about 'em?"

"They's comin'. Here."

"Here?"

"Here."

"Well, we can't let that happen! We gotta stop 'em."

"Stop 'em? How? They'll jus' blen' in wit' all o' us."

"I know. I saw it in a movie. See, all of us gather in the town square, right, and we vote to lynch whichever one of us looks the most suspicious. You got that?"

"Vote? Nah, the maf-yia's smarter than tha'. They kin make us do whatever they wan'."

"This is a smart town, too. We can get 'em."

There was a sudden noise from afar. A gunshot.

"Tha's them! The maf-yia!"

"It's getting dark. Maybe we ought to take the night to prepare for 'em."

"Maybe. Maybe you're righ'. But I kin't help bu' think... maybe they's alreddy here."

The two slowly turned their heads around them as the Sun set over the horizon.

Night 0 begins.

Role PMs have been sent out. Please PM me (1) confirmation that you have your role, (2) confirmation that you understand your role and the game's rules, and (3) your Night actions (if any). Confirmation and Night actions are due Wednesday, October 28 at 11:59:59 AM ET. Failure to confirm will result in your replacement.

Do not post in this thread until Day 1 starts!

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
The town got an early start to the day. Not long after the sun had peeked over the hills in the distance, most everyone had made their way to the center of town. Some of them were fearful--you could tell just by watching their eyes. Some were more confident, or at least looked it. And some of them were sketchy--the only problem was figuring out who.

But the town would figure that out, even if it was the last thing anyone in that town ever did. The mafia, they knew, were exceptionally talented at blending in with the general population. It was impossible to tell what someone's allegiances were just by looking at them. The only time you could be sure who exactly someone was was when they had nothing left to hide--when they were dead.

"Well," remarked one. "We know one thing, at least." Disgusted, he gestured, half with his arm and half with his hand, at a body on the ground. It had been recovered earlier in the morning.

"He was one o' us."

Everyone looked down at the dead body of Nicholas1024 (town). Sure enough, anyone who saw his face could tell immediately: he was a townie through and through.

"We gotta figure out who did this," someone said. "Right, mentos?"

No one answered.

"...mentos?"

Silence.

"****."

It didn't take much searching for the town to come across the dead body of mentosman8 (town). Things had barely begun, and two of their own were already down. It was clear to the town that if they didn't move quickly, their time would be exceedingly short.

As you feel the sun beating down on you overhead, you realize the day is just beginning. Perhaps, you think, it wouldn't hurt to be a little paranoid.

Night 0 ends. Day 1 begins.

With 8 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
This is what happened, I assume. We don't know if they have a role or not, just their alignment. So, I think it's reasonable to say that one kill was a mafia kill. That's easy. Now looking at the name of the game and looking at the Role PM Kiki used as an example, that one of the townies that died last night tried to use a power role on someone, and thus were killled by a paranoid gun owner.

Thoughts?

Pierre the Scarecrow

Grasping at Straws
This is what happened, I assume. We don't know if they have a role or not, just their alignment. So, I think it's reasonable to say that one kill was a mafia kill. That's easy. Now looking at the name of the game and looking at the Role PM Kiki used as an example, that one of the townies that died last night tried to use a power role on someone, and thus were killled by a paranoid gun owner.

Thoughts?
The most acceptable answer. Which would mean that we are already down one power role, and would also mean that the flex/relax PGO thought it responsible to flex on Night 0, which was a terrible decision. Hindsight being 20/20 aside, if any roles are restricted from acting during a Night 0 phase, they are the lethal roles. I'm sure there is precedent for that here on Smashboards.

For discussion, I think it is most likely that there is a 2-man mafia. If Day 1 has a mislynch, and two more town aligned players die during the night, then we find ourselves in lylo.

In my opinion, doctors should restrict themselves from protecting multiple different people. If you protect one person during the night, and you do not die, you know that they are not the PGO. Cops have a different problem, because they can't really restrict the number of people they investigate. Vigilantes could find themselves killed by the PGO if he flexes, and they could kill the PGO if he relaxes.

This game is very restrictive with information, which makes it very hard.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you there pierre. There's most likely a 2-man mafia, and i think Vigs and Docs and Cops should be very careful about what they do with their action. Notice how KIKI doesn't even give the roles of Nick and Mentos. This is going to be a good bit harder than a regular mafia, because nick or Mentos could have been a special role.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
or possible pgos can just opt to remain relaxed unless they no for sure that scum is going to try and kill them..

Man I hate PGOs

guy's im town btw, in case you couldn't already tell.

It would be funny if this was a ******* set up with, multiple visiting PRs and a couple of PGOs and like 2 scum that don't have a NK.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Notice how KIKI doesn't even give the roles of Nick and Mentos. This is going to be a good bit harder than a regular mafia, because nick or Mentos could have been a special role.
kiki told us about the partial reveal in the OP so this start is disheartening

vote hando policy lynch

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
the fact that hando hasn't yet been bandwagoned to all hell is further proof that he's scum

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So here's the deal guys: We wagon Hando to L-1, if he doesn't hammer himself he's scum.

You like that plan?

:059:

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Day 1 Vote Count
Handorin (2): Marshy, Macman

Not voting: Riddle, Gheb_01, junglefever, Pierre the Scarecrow, SwordsRbroken, Handorin

Handorin

Smash Hero
The most acceptable answer. Which would mean that we are already down one power role, and would also mean that the flex/relax PGO thought it responsible to flex on Night 0, which was a terrible decision. Hindsight being 20/20 aside, if any roles are restricted from acting during a Night 0 phase, they are the lethal roles. I'm sure there is precedent for that here on Smashboards.

For discussion, I think it is most likely that there is a 2-man mafia. If Day 1 has a mislynch, and two more town aligned players die during the night, then we find ourselves in lylo.

In my opinion, doctors should restrict themselves from protecting multiple different people. If you protect one person during the night, and you do not die, you know that they are not the PGO. Cops have a different problem, because they can't really restrict the number of people they investigate. Vigilantes could find themselves killed by the PGO if he flexes, and they could kill the PGO if he relaxes.

This game is very restrictive with information, which makes it very hard.
I'm not sure that is 100% true. Because the PGO could be relaxed that one night they decided to protect, but not the next. Still a pretty safe bet though.
Cult is probably going to be in this game.
Only because the name is Paranoiafia, somewhat of a scary theme, and cults are pretty scary imo. >_>

Please take off votes, kplzthx.

Vote: Handorin in b4 more votes
Unvote

Handorin

Smash Hero
Pretty serious.

It's been awhile since there has been a cult in a game.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I haven't played that game in ages.

Too many scrubs/trolls there. If you are good, they think you cheat now. GG

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I see.

I thought you did because cults are basically never used here but actually quite common in EM games and there are often PGOs in those games too.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
"Hey, there goes a tumbleweed."

"Huh."

Day 1 Vote Count
Handorin (2): Marshy, Macman

Not voting: Riddle, Gheb_01, junglefever, Pierre the Scarecrow, SwordsRbroken, Handorin

A deadline has been set for Friday, November 6 at 11:59:59 PM ET.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I see.

I thought you did because cults are basically never used here but actually quite common in EM games and there are often PGOs in those games too.

Cults are common in EM now? :laugh:
Silly competitive setups. All the good ones don't have them.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Could the other 6 remaining players, who are not called Handorin and Gheb start to actually play this game?

What do other people think about the possibility of a cult? Should we disregard it or consider it a realistic options?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
No point in in playing as if their is a cult since we have no idea whether there is one. And it only serves to distract from our original purpose - to find scum.

vote: hando again... for bringing up a cult trying to act helpful but in actuality being unhelpful

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Personally, I also doubt that there is a cult in this game but saying that the mere mention of it distracts us from scumhunting isn't true as long as we don't let it dominate our discussion.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there is a cult, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of there being one.

Handorin

Smash Hero
No point in in playing as if their is a cult since we have no idea whether there is one. And it only serves to distract from our original purpose - to find scum.

vote: hando again... for bringing up a cult trying to act helpful but in actuality being unhelpful
Ummm

Last I checked scum was anything antitown, rather anyone against the town who is part of an uninformed minority. Which can be cult. If you start seeing connections between players for odd reasons, it can be either of these factions. Bring it up. Let it be part of discussion. Does it matter which antitown faction it is? No. If you play as if there is not a certain antitown role, then it's perfect for them. They can just sit back and play how ever they want and it won't give them the attention they don't want.

So next time, please at least clarify what you mean instead of using umbrella terms to place a vote on me. It won't work.

Top Bottom