• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Sup guys, I'm back from Paris. Manage to pass the pools (oh god, I wonder how I managed to pass with 2 wins out of 7 matches, but anyway...), and failed misserably on brackets. I think the era of G&W is over. If any good top tier players knows this MU, it's basically game over for you.

Anyway I had a lot of fun, met some nice new and old people, and manage to freeplay like a boss.
Oh yeah and... Gluto too gud.

Lifes

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lifes14
Nowadays I think you can't win using only G&W. I had to pick MK many times because people didn't choose their own character they took what's bad for G&W :(
But Like over said it was really cool meeting new people (nice always seeing you over!).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I feel the same as well. Whenever I beat someone with GW it's mostly just because they did something stupid or I got an uber hard read and killed them at 60%. Other than that everything is always a struggle for some reason.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Nowadays I think you can't win using only G&W. I had to pick MK many times because people didn't choose their own character they took what's bad for G&W :(
But Like over said it was really cool meeting new people (nice always seeing you over!).
<3 lifes

10chars

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
What I fail to understand is how GnW is bad because if predictablility, but Marth is just as predictable and he is good.

I guess he just has range. I still think GnW should rise up a bit.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What I fail to understand is how GnW is bad because if predictablility, but Marth is just as predictable and he is good.

Marth doesn't get shut down because his speed and adaptability too. Aside from lack of range attacks, which in Brawl unless you're Falco the opponent will get through anyway, and weight, Marth has no weak areas in his game.

High tiers own Brawl for the most part but I agree with Penta about G&W's potential.

D

Deleted member 189823

I used to think gaw's smashes were "fast and reliable" finishers and that B-Air was amazing for approaching. :(

-LzR-

Smash Hero
When an opponent is playing carefully killing can be very hard :(
Just gotta read better I guess, it's only my fault, not the characters.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman

I don't think you can call a character predictable, only players.

I mean...the player controls the character.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think G&W's best moves are upB with Nair as a close 2nd.
Fair, Dash Attack and Dtilt are not broken great but still really good moves. Bair/Dair are good but lose some effectiveness vs experienced players. I don't think I use Uair to its potential.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Nair is the most reliable move in our moveset though. It's the move the generally works in most situations, does a lot of damages and sets up for a lot of followups.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
GnW is known for being telegraphed. Marth isn't too much better off. Our bair is his fair.
Except he isn't committed to a lot of frames when using it, his fair cannot be sdi'd out of and punished on it, and if marth's fair is spaced perfectly on shield it can't really be punished (aside from having to retreat to the ledge more and more), while GaW's bair can be grabbed by ICs.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And he has small mixups that make things really hard. What if instead of the fair he nairs or empty hops? You are ****ed.
Why was Marth supposed to be hard to play again?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Nair is the most reliable move in our moveset though. It's the move the generally works in most situations, does a lot of damages and sets up for a lot of followups.
That's true. We probably have the best Nair in the game.

Bucket is good for G&W because he's light and bucket breaking is effective. For heavy characters and/or ones with limited recoveries bucket would not be nearly as useful.

Marth's the ultimate anti G&W character. Well, that's not the best way to put it (ICs beat us harder, right?). Marth out-classes G&W; it's one of those 'anything you can do I can do better' sort of MUs.
Their moves are different but Marth has the better answer to most situations. In a similar sense DK is a better Ike.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Snake's nair is of comparable goodness. Marth's is pretty good. MK's and Pika's kill. G&W has the best for chaining together though, probably followed by Wario. Wolf's is pretty good for combos too.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Snakes Nair is only good for baiting and damage. It can easily be SDI'd and is slow.
I think Marth and MK have the best nairs.
Doesn't Wolfs nair have like 0 hitstun?
Oh yes then there is Peach... Her nair is godlike. 3 frames and can do over 20% if floatcanceled.
G&W nair is just the move that works most of the time.

@Rizen, bucket would be better on almost every other character.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wolf's Nair is not good; the first and last hits have stun/knockback (IIRC) but it doesn't chain into anything great. Snake's Nair is good on wifi.
IMO the best Nair is a toss up between G&W, ROB and MK. ROB's is slow but has good KO power and covers a huge area.
It depends on the character's traits like air speed, fall speed etc too.

Rizen

Smash Legend
'Nair' is a hard category of attacks to compare because many are totally different.
Some can be grouped.
Sex kicks: long lasting constant hitbubbles around the lower body. Luigi probably wins this but Link's is good too.

single hit spin/action: DDD/Wario/Squirtle/MK/Peach etc have these. MK wins IMO.

Multiple hit spin/action: G&W/Zelda/Wolf etc. G&W certainly wins this.

2 cuts: Marth/TL. Marth wins.

rotating 1 hit GTFO attack: Ike/ROB. ROB wins

Multi kick chain: CF/Ganon etc. Snake wins

/one way to look at it.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
The move isn't everything. Horizontal and vertical movement speed come into play. MK's uair wouldn't be good on some characters, just like gnws nair would be bad on someone like d3

It's not the move, it's the character and how well the move synergizes with them.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
MKs uair would be pretty much better on most characters as MK is so slow in the air.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No. It just wouldn't be so good if Dedede had the same nair as us since he is so slow and mobility is why nair is so good. We can follow them around easily.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It's awful. It SHOULD be punished on hit 100% of the time. It's not even an unreasonable request, the time you have to sdi the move and hit him is ridiculous.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But there is the advantage that it still does ******** amounts of damage so the trade might still be most likely in Snakes favor.

Top Bottom