• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Panera tournament: April 4th, canton, ohio (melee only)

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Since Test Your Might V doesn't seem to be happening, I've decided to host this as a replacement. I know there's a circuit event the same day, but some of us won't be able to make the 9 hour drive.

2010 Lincoln Way E Massillon, OH 44646
4:30pm - 10:00pm

Entrance fee: $5-10 (to be decided)
As far as a venue fee, there is none, because panera assumes that anyone using the back room will also be buying sandwiches. It's not 100% neccesary for everyone to buy a sandwich, but it will look bad if no one does. They're around $7-8, but they're really good.

Rules
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
* First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
* No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked. You may ban neutral stages.
* Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
* Wobbling is banned

Melee

4 Stock 8 Mins best 2/3 finals 3/5

Neutrals are:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Pokémon Stadium
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination

Counter picks are:
Rainbow cruise
Brinstar
F-Zero*
Poke Floats
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Kongo Jungle

cverneo

Smash Rookie
Wintastic.

Anyways.

Here's the menu from the Panera website: http://www.panerabread.com/menu/
They have some good drinks too, so if you want to buy from 'em, you might want to bring some cash for those. Don't have to though.

As for other foodstuffs near the area...

There's a Burger King, MacDonalds, and some other restaurants that aren't fast food, so I dunno.

Immediately next to the Panera is a Target that has some pseudo Pizza Hut and a Starbucks.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Ugh... Melee only? You serious? all the tournies near home are melee only... :(

Either way, looking at my track record for makiing it to tournies, it won't make much difference

Skyson

Smash Ace
So, is it singles, doubles, or both? I would assume $5 per event, unless I was mistaken on the definition of entrance fee.

Hilariously enough, I might not be able to enter. I can be the one organizing it, though, if I'm not able to gather up the pocket change. <_<

Either way, definitely coming and bringing an SSB64 setup in my natural defiant manner.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I have no clue whether we will be holding doubles. Depends on how much time we have and the interest we have. Anyway, I have no clue what I'm doing I just threw this idea together in a second without thinking.

Also, Altrox, ithrowthings is hosting a brawl event elsewhere at the same time in Akron. Wait, are you suggesting that you live really close to this?

Tony, is Tom coming? Because if he is Altrox could theoretically come and play brawl friendlies with him. Considering that Altrox has no tournament experience though, I would guess tom would destroy him though.

Also, we could use a few more setups, I think we should have like 5 already but a few more wouldn't hurt.

Skyson

Smash Ace
Anyway, I have no clue what I'm doing I just threw this idea together in a second without thinking.
Ah, it's good to see that I have an effect on my friends. >_>

Also, Altrox, ithrowthings is hosting a brawl event elsewhere at the same time in Akron. Wait, are you suggesting that you live really close to this?

Tony, is Tom coming? Because if he is Altrox could theoretically come and play brawl friendlies with him. Considering that Altrox has no tournament experience though, I would guess tom would destroy him though.
Eh. Tom told me today that he would be coming to Panera's if he couldn't get a ride to ithrowthings' brawl gathering. I figured this would be the case; he's genuinely more interested in playing brawl with other people than melee with the same people. So, if he can't get a ride up to ithrowthings' event, he'll be at Panera's.

If someone on our side brought a Brawl setup, I wouldn't totally reject the idea of Brawl friendlies. I've sort of softened up to playing Brawl, just not on a competitive level. I play Brawl friendlies, and that's about it.

Also, we could use a few more setups, I think we should have like 5 already but a few more wouldn't hurt.
Uh, I'll see what I can do. I have to get a hold of Darrell to make sure he can show up with his 3 setups. If not, we might be down a few. I'll update this with information as I receive it.

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
Eh, don't think I'll be making it to ithrow's thing. I r teh suck.
If anyone's willing to part with a decent controller, I'll buy it off ya...

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I might bring my tourney over there, hopefully there's enough room.

Edit: NVM, my tournament is still running and it's a half an hour drive.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Tony, you should post the entire chart of who beat who how many times for everyone's viewing pleasure. But to anyone who wants to know, the top 4 was like this:

1. Impp
2. Steve
3. Blue Rouge
4. Slartibartfast42

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
This was fun... i thought it was funny how i 3-0 impp in the grand finals the get 3-0 by his fox the next set lol....Blue rouge i think thats your name you are pretty good you should go to more tournaments

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
I like the fact that I can get Brawl competition more readily, if I was able to warp to melee tourneys all the time I might share your opinions...

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Whenever I go to a tournament, you have the option of getting a ride from me... I'll have to tell you of them more often. You're coming to middle of ohio VI, right?

Impp

Smash Ace
I'm glad I came to this... The area seems like an awesome place for melee.
A lot of good players.
Brawl + is awesome.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
Brawl plus is aight i i say over the summer we should have a cleveland vs your crew slarti me dobs impp Kb maybe omni vs you guys see which area is better :) Melee ofcorse :)

oh by the way i think its crazy that impp is able to beat everybody with his fox which he cant even l cancel with hahaha
he is too good.

Skyson

Smash Ace
L-cancelling is totally overrated. <_<

Impp, Mewtwo/Bowser has officially become a rivalry in my head. It's going to be a MM next time.

I'll toss up the pool results when I get home, currently at my grandma's doing my laundry. lol spring break.

I'll just put them up in this topic, rather than making a new thread in a different place?

Crew battle was good (taking off a stock at 200+ % = LET'S GO) and friendlies were awesome, tournament was where it's at. Should've played more Marth, I was down-air gimping like mad against one guy I played. All 4 stocks dropped at an average % of like 20. <_<

Good stuff, guys. I would reserve this every ****ing day this week if I thought everyone was as available as me this week, due to spring break.

Of course, I have tennis every day from 2:30-4:30, so even if I unrealistically did that I wouldn't hold it until 5:00ish. >_>

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
i say over the summer we should have a cleveland vs your crew slarti me dobs impp Kb maybe omni vs you guys see which area is better :) Melee ofcorse :)
At this point, we would get *****. We need to practice more.

Shout out to Buddy: Your jigglypuff reminds me of my jigglypuff about a year ago, which sucked. You don't really have a technical problem, but you play puff way too aggressively, there were so many times that you just jumped at me and attacked when I was way too far away. When you reach a certain point in the air with all your momentum toward me, you are fully committed to performing an aerial attack which I can easily counter by shielding, dashdancing, wavedashing, or just swinging marth's really long sword. It gets really predictable and since jiggs isn't exactly the fastest people can see it coming from a while off. If you're going to play like that you should switch to fox or falcon who are actually fast enough to pull that off. You need to be a bit more campy to play jiggs, and by that I mean don't attack every time you jump, stay a bit out of range, take advantage of jigglypuff's top tier aerial acceleration to punish any missed attacks. Watch mango and you should see what I'm talking about.

soap

Smash Hero
This was fun... i thought it was funny how i 3-0 impp in the grand finals the get 3-0 by his fox the next set lol....Blue rouge i think thats your name you are pretty good you should go to more tournaments
his FOX 3-0'd u, what is going on?

i know his fox is kinda smart, but it's too slow and silly, he must be practicing or something, wow....

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
his FOX 3-0'd u, what is going on?

i know his fox is kinda smart, but it's too slow and silly, he must be practicing or something, wow....
Lol well we have been playing my falco and jiggs go even with it i guess i wasnt expecting it yet evry charactor he goes has a zelda stradegy haha

He wants to build his fox up for the matches his zelda doesnt make the cut lol

Skyson

Smash Ace
Ffffuuu, I want to turn this into a smashfest this saturday, but haven't gotten the word out. I haven't reserved the place either, and I plan on doing that today. If all goes well, I guess I'll make a new thread in the social board?

Top Bottom