• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palmdale Bi-Weeklies 5 Jan.3!!!

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Shut up Mike.

I'm pretty sure spacing and familiarization with the game interface didn't change too much with the transition to Brawl. Larry has experience, and while some things were lost in translation, I've seen him enter Bawrl tournaments since early October. Good is good, and Larry is just good. Why do you think Mango did so well in the early Brawl tournies if he never played the game?
It didn't change too much in the transition? If you earnestly believe that is true, than you were undoubtedly bad at Melee.

And Edrees, if seven tournaments is all it takes to have a chance in getting top 5, then you know Brawl sucks.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I got top 5 at a 50 man bi weekly in melee about 10 tournaments in. i guess melee sucks too. I agree with Oats that playing melee makes you a better player at brawl automatically. Brawl has problems, but an experienced melee player who has been playing brawl since before it came out getting fifth place is the worst reason to use ever. DEHF beat me at the last UCLA tournament. He's been good, he hasn't magically gotten good. I still want to see the bracket though, to get these rankings done!!

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
It was a sarcastic comment based on his arguement. I was not bashing Melee, that game is amazing.

Also mango was already ****** people with years of experience after just 7 or so tournaments. sometimes some players are just real good, it doesn't mean the game sucks

embracethe12

Smash Lord
i'm kiddddddddddding

just making a joke about how the moderation thread doesn't show equal weight on the punishment for melee vs brawl bashing

but it's not important
pretty sure melee guys wouldn't take offense to it anyways

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
The difference between Mango in Melee and Larry in Brawl is, Larry doesn't play Brawl outside of tournaments. He doesn't train in the game. He just plays at tournaments and that's it. But then again, I haven't talked to Larry recently, so I don't know if he has started to train outside of tournaments or not. So it's not smart for me to assume at this point.

But then again, there really isn't much to train in such a shallow game that maybe playing in tournaments is really all you need to do to be good at the game. If that is the case, my reasoning is flawed.

Also, Brawl and Melee are two completely different games. Saying that he's been good shows that Brawl is a shallow/joke of a game. What makes a player good in Melee is not the same as what makes a player good in Brawl. That should be obvious at this point. Sure you have to be smart in both games but being smart should not be the only factor necessary to bieng good at a fighting game (or any competitive game for that matter). Technical aspects should bear just as much importance, but in Brawl, that is clearly not the case. If being smart is all it takes to be good then you know the game is horrible.

It will also explain the reason why placings in tournaments are still not as consistent as they should be.

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
Sure you have to be smart in both games but being smart should not be the only factor necessary to bieng good at a fighting game (or any competitive game for that matter).
Chess, pwnd.

--

So when is the next one, Palmdale?

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Chess, pwnd.

--
I knew one idiot was going to bring up chess and why am I not surprised it was you. And I'm also going to assume that you suck at chess for making this post. Like Melee, the technical aspects of chess are just as important as the thought that is put into playing it. Don't expect me to explain it to you because I know you wont get it.

what he said
If that's the case, then I was wrong. I have nothing more to say. I just assumed, because you took Shadow to last round, last hit at Races tournament that was held at Cerritos. And back then, I remember you telling me you didn't play much at all.

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
I knew one idiot was going to bring up chess and why am I not surprised it was you. And I'm also going to assume that you suck at chess for making this post. Like Melee, the technical aspects of chess are just as important as the thought that is put into playing it. Don't expect me to explain it to you because I know you wont get it.
Oh, because I'm sure I wouldn't understand Pawn Structure or controlling the center. Nor would I "get" the different phases of the game. Oh yes, how could I ever keep track of the dozens of variations of the Sicilian Defense because that requires incredible tech skill. Let me name drop more things from the technical booklet of past "Awesome Chess Plays" and see how much "tech skill" is involved. Did you know I can glitch pawns into queens by reaching the other side of the board? Chess is memorization, calculations, and intuition. Not to mention the dense layers of yomi involved at Grand Master play. Tech-skill is a means to an end and I'm 99% positive that competitive games dwindle down to thinking better than your opponent if both players have an equal knowledge of "techs."

You shouldn't assume so much (my knowledge of Chess, Larry's Brawl practice, etc). And please do not call me an idiot again. I didn't call you one and I don't see a need to. It's just the internet.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Oh, because I'm sure I wouldn't understand Pawn Structure or controlling the center. Nor would I "get" the different phases of the game. Oh yes, how could I ever keep track of the dozens of variations of the Sicilian Defense because that requires incredible tech skill. Let me name drop more things from the technical booklet of past "Awesome Chess Plays" and see how much "tech skill" is involved. Did you know I can glitch pawns into queens by reaching the other side of the board? Chess is memorization, calculations, and intuition. Not to mention the dense layers of yomi involved at Grand Master play. Tech-skill is a means to an end and I'm 99% positive that competitive games dwindle down to thinking better than your opponent if both players have an equal knowledge of "techs.".
Knowing the technical aspects of the game doesn't mean you can execute them flawlessly. In other words, it's one thing to know and another to do. Some players are better at controlling space, positioning, pressuring etc. than others. It takes a great mastery of the technical aspects of chess to become a great player.

@Prodigykid

My posts are not blatant attacks on Brawl through my dislike towards the game. I'm just posting why I think Brawl is a game for scrubs and overall sucks as a fighting game. And no it's not an opinion either. Brawl is genuinely a bad fighting game (if it's even a fighting game).

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Ok i know its partly my fault but lets end this bickering, and just talk about the palmdale tournies, okay? no more, its off topic and pointless. consider this a warning .

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
"I'm just posting why I think Brawl is a game for scrubs and overall sucks as a fighting game. And no it's not an opinion either."

This is a contradiction. No need to think if its a fact.

Anyways good stuff NorCal. You can beat DSF eventually!

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
@Prodigykid

Touche.
I wasn't thinking straight when I replied to your post. But regardless, I do earnestly believe that Brawl is a very bad fighting game.

But I'll stop right here. The last thing I need is another infraction point.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
what happened to kouryuuxfighter?

making another account lessens your post count and severely handicaps u during tournaments

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
the crew battle is half way put together. however my upcoming math final is 70% of my grade.

and my upcoming physics final is really important because i have a b and im flirting with a c. and i really dont need to **** up in these two classes because they are 5 units.

so as far as crew battle vids goes.....wont be seeing that until christmas break.

creepy has all the matches tho so no johns.

Top Bottom