• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pakman's Yoshi Vids. Advice Needed

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Hey guys. I have some misguided desire to have a ridiculous Yoshi. These vids are my most recent. I think I have a decent base of how to play the character but there is a lot of room for improvement. When I play I definitely feel I am missing some fundamentals.

It's nice to stray away from the green plumber once in awhile :-)

Anyway, any and all advice is appreciated. Be as mean as you like.

Pakman Yoshi vs Alukard Samus 1
Pakman Yoshi vs Alukard Samus 2

Pakman Yoshi vs jman Falcon 1
Pakman Yoshi vs jman Falcon 2

Pakman Yoshi vs Phish It Ganon

Pakman Yoshi vs Cactuar Falco
Pakman Yoshi vs Cactuar Marth

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
if you just started playing yoshi, kudo's to you :)

watched both matches, but the first one with a little bit more attention.

djc fair seem to be a favorite move of you :p a lot of times it worked out, but be carefull not to fully rely on them. Its not too hard for someone to interrupt it and juggle you to your doom. A followup that works like 90% of the time is utilt, which I saw you using a bit later on, it's a great move to start juggling. Also sometimes you did it too close to the ground/went for a nair perhaps, so work a bit more on the timing.

one thing I saw very rarely was bairs, tilts and fsmashes. perhaps try to implement those more into your game. egg game was pretty good, you seem to know when he's out of range for another juggling move and start egging pretty well. edge cancelled eggs were still a bit sloppy (head went above the ledge). untumbling might have saved you on the last stock in the first match.

I saw you supershield some of samuss stuff, dont know if it was intentional :p but it can be pretty handy to for example avoid the grab and follow with a smash. also I usually tend to avoid going over the missile spam of samus (I think samus has a better air game here because of priority), crouching powershield is a pretty good trick to deal with it.

Overall definitely a nice yoshi to watch, Id like to see other matchups :)

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
if you just started playing yoshi, kudo's to you :)

watched both matches, but the first one with a little bit more attention.

djc fair seem to be a favorite move of you :p a lot of times it worked out, but be carefull not to fully rely on them. Its not too hard for someone to interrupt it and juggle you to your doom. A followup that works like 90% of the time is utilt, which I saw you using a bit later on, it's a great move to start juggling. Also sometimes you did it too close to the ground/went for a nair perhaps, so work a bit more on the timing.

one thing I saw very rarely was bairs, tilts and fsmashes. perhaps try to implement those more into your game. egg game was pretty good, you seem to know when he's out of range for another juggling move and start egging pretty well. edge cancelled eggs were still a bit sloppy (head went above the ledge). untumbling might have saved you on the last stock in the first match.

I saw you supershield some of samuss stuff, dont know if it was intentional :p but it can be pretty handy to for example avoid the grab and follow with a smash. also I usually tend to avoid going over the missile spam of samus (I think samus has a better air game here because of priority), crouching powershield is a pretty good trick to deal with it.

Overall definitely a nice yoshi to watch, Id like to see other matchups :)
This is exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks man! I have pretty bad timing with those ledge eggs. I am going to work on that.

Pak watch fumi vids
I have seen Fumi vids. Watching vids never did it for me...

I have to find the gaps in my game, become aware of them, and then pracice fixing them in friendlies.

TheLake

Smash Master
Pak the man

Im trying to rastle yoshi into ma tourney game too! Like two peaches in a tree eh eh?

Bair is like yoshis safest approach. L cancel that sucka into a ftilt and you have some golden combo startage right thur. Throw more eggs i say, they are the best projectile and it never hurts to throw one especially against floaties like samus.

You have a pretty sick platform game which im going to steal along with your down tilt stuff, those were nice.

Oh taunt more man. Its yoshi after all.

Yoshi ditto MM next time i see ya. 200 dollars

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
there are no fundimentals for yoshi exept for the djc. for me yoshi is just natural and guides arnt really my thing. for a really good yoshi just play 24/7, get used to his moves, and play against every character so there are no suprises. there arnt really set combo's like some people have so you have to learn to make them on the spot.other than that against a samus as they are recovering always try to hit thier bombs with egges, altho they may yell at you and kick you in the...... anyways its somthing that when i do always makes me laugh so ya. and the lakes it does hurt somtimes because it is pretty punishable, only when they are far away should you throw egges

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Your Yoshi is pretty solid.

As far as I can tell, you've got a handle on using all his moves at different times, eager (I guess is the word) use of the DJC, decent spacing, and above average movement speed.

The only areas I immediately noticed you lacking in are in-depth knowledge of moves, matchup knowledge, and prudence with the DJC. Of course, this list is entirely subjective based on what I saw; maybe what seemed like lack of knowledge to me was some strategy that played out to your benefit for you. For example, against Samus, you have to be really careful about approaching when she's under 60% because she can CC every single move Yoshi has; however, maybe your opponent doesn't CC much or gets pressured by heavy rushdown (which seemed to work to your favor).

You seem to be in love with the DJC forward air, which is good, but try to exercise a little more caution with it. It can cost you plenty of stock and you see how it cost you the first match in the videos you posted as well. It's a great spacer, but try to only use it when you have a reasonable chance of hitting. It's such a shame that the hitbox on the neutral air is so gimped, but if you can find a way to physically turn your Yoshi the other way, you'll find that DJC reverse neutral air serves the same purpose, is faster, and is much safer. It'll be good for you to learn from the forward air mistakes, though, because it's easily one of Yoshi's most threatening moves.

Finally, be very wary of your use of the DJ. It's good that you're experimenting with it really early (it took me a few years before I started fully diving into DJ techniques), but realize, especially in the Samus matchup, that DJs that serve no purpose besides movement can be just as much of a good idea as they can be a terrible idea. Also, learn how the delay on the DJ works when you get hit. Especially in the first match, you can probably see where you were platform dashing and when Samus pecked you, you went into that airdodge because you knew you were going to get hit and wanted to finish the platform dash, but didn't account for the hit delay. The timing is just off by a few frames, but when you learn it, it will be essential, especially when you start learning to death combo space animals. They can sometimes toss out moves in the middle of the combo to try and break it and if you don't account for the lag on the move, you'll airdodge instead of l-canceling (which you'll be trying to do since you're so close to the ground). It's very important to learn, so I hope you can take the time to do it.

Overall, very solid Yoshi for someone who hasn't been playing long. Good shielding, saw some supershields and some lightshields (very important tech as well), saw lots of different moves (yay tilts!) and overall very solid game. I think the gaps you have will just come with time and experience, especially matchup experience. Keep it up.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
lol watching your matches was just like watching my own yoshi. lol even down to rolling around in shield to bait a hit just so you can slide lol.

Work on your approaches, mix it up other than trying to bait fairs. Samus missiles > djc in most situations and it will send you flying off the stage with no jumps left, be careful. I don't know if it's practical enough for you, but I practiced reflecting samus missiles just because of how much I hate them. Just crouch and shield them right when they go over Yoshi's saddle. Light shield it to reflect AND slide towards your opponent for extra style points.

Your ledge game could still use some work. Full ledge hops can work, but they also get predictable and are easily punishable. Mix it up, being predictable near the ledge is never good. I say that most people will not expect egg rolls from the ledge, and you will still have your jump if they do manage to read it.

More djc nairs, egg lays (especially against light/floaty characters), ftilt (they cant cc and its a great set up). You make good use of platforms, but i think you could use some more wavedashing mixed in with your dashdancing on the flat part of the stage.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Wow, that was really entertaining to watch. You've got outstanding chasing skills and are really creative with the platforms. And you've definitely got the f-air down, although, as others have said, the f-air is a double-edged sword. Especially Marth can punish it pretty easily.

I would have acted different in some situations, but our playstyles are very different, so it's probably just a matter of style.

Binx

Smash Master
Good stuff, I don't play Yoshi at all but that was fun to watch, I'm gonna go read some yoshi threads and then ask questions so I can learn him too!

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Well, you've been given the 'professional' advice so I got nothin' to add except that was fun to watch.
I hate the yoshi-samus matchup, so props for being as gung-ho about it as you were. DJC can get ya killed in that one fairly easy though ...

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I should have some vids vs WoZ zelda up soon if I can find them. I might play some local guys and get some more footage.

I don't know why..... but having a good Yoshi is real important to me right now.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
That's cause once you start doing kool stuff, Beta Character becomes off the chain.

Being off the chain is pretty frickin important.

The Beta Character. lol.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Your Yoshi is pretty good Pakman. Reminds me a lot of how I used to play.

I enjoyed watching your spacing and mindgames, and how you managed to fight evenly with Samus the whole way. The only thing that let you down was the couple of deaths you managed to get from having no double jump. That's the only thing you really need to work on - awareness of your damage and of how far you will be hit if you are punished.

All in all the matches were thoroughly enjoyable. ^_^

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Good use of up-tilts/smashes/airs on falcon, combo fiend lol. Personally I perfer to use nairs over fairs when platform dashing, although you get extra sexy points if you land the fair. Extreme lack of dtilts and dsmashes against falcon, get him out over the edge and don't let him come back!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: More down tilt on Falco!

That's all I got, LOL. Powershield wavedashing and down tilt.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
vs Faclo: Don't panic if you find yourself stuck in a pillar. Don't spam dj so much to try and 'break out' of a pillar. 1 well djc nair is all you need to get him off you. Shine kills djc, dair breaks it at fairly low percents, so time it well. Try to tech those dairs.

vs Marth: Frustrating match, dont blindly attack so much. There were many times he would just wait for you to attack, space and then punish. Recognize it early so that you don't give as many free hits.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Dsty is right about that pillaring.

Whenever I'm in an attmepted pillar, just use your best judgement and DI every hit. Instead of DJC neutral air, though, I like to untumble to neutral air since the DJ adds a bit of risk and even a few frames of input if I'm not fast enough (which I often am not).

Top Bottom