• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So Sonic has a new TV show coming this year, they're making a game for it, and he is in Smash.
Pac-Man has had a TV show for a couple months, and they made a game for that.

I guess this confirms that Pac-Man is in Smash 4.
Lol, not quite, but Pac-Man and Sonic are now something of competitors now, since their shows are on rivaling networks.
Sonic Boom has convinced me that I should be thankful that Pac-Man didn't suffer a far worse fate with his new character design. I wouldn't mind GA Pac-Man in Smash at all. I'd rather have that than new Sonic any day.
It's not that bad. I personally think that Sonic's redesign is way better than Pac-Man's. But that may be due to my loving the previous design too much :p

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I honestly wouldn't doubt if Pac-Man doesn't show up simply because of backroom deals resulting from this situation. I really wouldn't.
Honestly, I think he's in a situation that's ridiculously comparable to Snake. You wouldn't expect them to get in if it wasn't for Sakurai's relationship with the owners. I think both Sakurai's friendship with Konami and Sakurai's closely working with Namco are special enough cases to get them in. I mean, if it wasn't for those special conditions, they would have no chance. It makes 3rd party negotiations much easier.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Considering that Disney and CN don't own the characters, it shouldn't be an issue.
Agreed. Though it is funny to think about. Both Video-Game-based TV series, but on opposing networks. Makes me want to see a GA Pac-Man vs. SB Sonic match.

Also, update for me. I'm getting a Wii U soon! Going to preorder Smash 4 and Zelda U (the latter whenever it gets to a preorderable state). I'm also considering getting Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3(?), Hyrule Warriors, and Yarn Yoshi. Funnily, I only really care about a few games that are out now; everything I want is TBR.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Considering that Disney and CN don't own the characters, it shouldn't be an issue.
Ownership isn't the only factor at play here. There are tons of intricacies behind the way marketing works. It's very possible that Namco/Sega wouldn't want their characters to appear together simply because their TV network connections obligate them to play their cards more exclusively. I don't think this will be a problem myself, but if it were, it wouldn't surprise me.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ownership isn't the only factor at play here. There are tons of intricacies behind the way marketing works. It's very possible that Namco/Sega wouldn't want their characters to appear together simply because their TV network connections obligate them to play their cards more exclusively. I don't think this will be a problem myself, but if it were, it wouldn't surprise me.
It wouldn't affect it at this point in development. At this point, all third parties are either in or not getting in.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It wouldn't affect it at this point in development. At this point, all third parties are either in or not getting in.
Well, obviously. If network deals affected the roster in any way, it would have done so when development started. It's not as if either Pac-Man's or Sonic's cartoons weren't at least in the planning stages at that point.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, obviously. If network deals affected the roster in any way, it would have done so when development started. It's not as if either Pac-Man's or Sonic's cartoons weren't at least in the planning stages at that point.
Remember how Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures was originally planned for Cartoon Network? The deal didn't fall through and they switched to Disney. While Sonic Boom was in the planning stage, they would have been under the impression that they were being partners of a sort rather than rivals. Both video game based TV shows based off of Video Games on the same network. But that didn't end up happening in the end. The theoretical rivalry that may or may not now exist wouldn't have even been an issue at the time of the planning stage. And when Pac-Man switched to Disney, Pac-Man (and Sonic) would have already been in Smash.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Remember how Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures was originally planned for Cartoon Network? The deal didn't fall through and they switched to Disney. While Sonic Boom was in the planning stage, they would have been under the impression that they were being partners of a sort rather than rivals. Both video game based TV shows based off of Video Games on the same network. But that didn't end up happening in the end. The theoretical rivalry that may or may not now exist wouldn't have even been an issue at the time of the planning stage. And when Pac-Man switched to Disney, Pac-Man (and Sonic) would have already been in Smash.
I didn't know that (that GA was planned for Cartoon Network). Dang. Kinda wish it had ended up there. I don't really follow the show, but when I do watch it, I'd rather watch it on CN.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I didn't know that (that GA was planned for Cartoon Network). Dang. Kinda wish it had ended up there. I don't really follow the show, but when I do watch it, I'd rather watch it on CN.
Yeah, apparently Cartoon Network decided that it wasn't up to their standards of quality.

and i kinda agree with them there

D

Deleted member

Shame that those standards aren't anywhere near as high as they used to be....

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Yeah, apparently Cartoon Network decided that it wasn't up to their standards of quality.

and i kinda agree with them there
funny that Sonic Boom seems as bad (if not worst) as Ghostly Adventures (and the irony is much bigger, since that CN Shows isn't "high quality" as well; lolz).

I can live with Ghostly Adventures, but Sonic Boom is disgusting in all ways;.. as aggressive as Crash of the Titans.

EDIT: Not really saying that G.A. is that bad (would be contradictory on my position of frequent defender of the concept from cartoon); but if Sonic Boom really seems the same thing as Ghostly Adventures but starring Sonic...(in terms of concept for a TV Show); just is worse 'cause came with unnecessary changes...(unlike Pac-Man that needed those FEW changes) really, and beyond to Sonic's flexibility as character, and his own franchise... (but this is another thing). ..

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
funny that Sonic Boom seems as bad (if not worst) as Ghostly Adventures (and the irony is much bigger, since that CN Shows isn't "high quality" as well; lolz).

I can live with Ghostly Adventures, but Sonic Boom is disgusting in all ways;.. as aggressive as Crash of the Titans.

EDIT: Not really saying that G.A. is that bad (would be contradictory on my position of frequent defender of the concept from cartoon); but if Sonic Boom really seems the same thing as Ghostly Adventures but starring Sonic...(in terms of concept for a TV Show); just is worse 'cause came with unnecessary changes...(unlike Pac-Man that needed those FEW changes) really, and beyond to Sonic's flexibility as character, and his own franchise... (but this is another thing). ..
I feel like the only one that's perfectly fine with Sonic Boom. To me, it looks much better than GA.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
What huh?
Well even though Sonic has a game coming out based on a show in which he is redesigned, Sakurai is still using Sonic's traditional design. Maybe that means Sakurai is only using designs that originated from video games.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well even though Sonic has a game coming out based on a show in which he is redesigned, Sakurai is still using Sonic's traditional design. Maybe that means Sakurai is only using designs that originated from video games.
That's actually a good point that I hadn't considered. I guess it's just been difficult for me to think of Pac-Man as anything but a video game character. But the GA design was introduced in the cartoon first, I believe, so maybe Sakurai would refrain from using it for that reason. It'd be like using Hanna-Barbera Pac-Man. Sure, GA Pac has also appeared in GPDX, but he's still used the Pac-Man Party design in other recent games, much like how Sonic will supposedly be retaining his older appearance as well.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It's already confirmed to be much better considering there is staff actually giving a crap about the quality.
I still say that the only redeeming quality of that show was Fuzbitz.
That's actually a good point that I hadn't considered. I guess it's just been difficult for me to think of Pac-Man as anything but a video game character. But the GA design was introduced in the cartoon first, I believe, so maybe Sakurai would refrain from using it for that reason. It'd be like using Hanna-Barbera Pac-Man. Sure, GA Pac has also appeared in GPDX, but he's still used the Pac-Man Party design in other recent games, much like how Sonic will supposedly be retaining his older appearance as well.
I hadn't considered that either. It's a very good point, and it just might be the case. However, when it comes to Sonic Boom, it's a separate entity from the other modern Sonic franchise (as confirmed on their facebook page), so they might just be using the other design. (did that make any sense?)

GA Pac-Man did first appear in the cartoon, I can confirm that. That does give me a little hope.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I feel like the only one that's perfectly fine with Sonic Boom. To me, it looks much better than GA.
considering that I talked a lot about this subject recently,... I can say that you're the 2nd person that I know that seems liking to this. lol

It's already confirmed to be much better considering there is staff actually giving a crap about the quality.
sadly, even "giving a crap", they fail miserably ... that sneak peek of the show already gave me chills; ... but since it's targeted towards to only young children as previously mentioned, in the same way as GA is; I don't care. The game is what bothers me ... is far from resemblance to anything to be worth be called Sonic. .. is really like "Sonic of the Titans", argh.

Would be cool.. but don't know if is the case... Ghostly Adventures is a reboot of the entire series of Pac-Man... not a parallel series.. if you think about, Street Fighter X Tekken already gave us a hibrid desing between Pac-Man Party and Ghostly Adventures for prepare the public. And if I know right, the game Ghostly Adventures was planed to be released before the show, and it would work exactly as the Sonic Boom game, explaining the new universe... the only diference that (as it's now) would be a entire reboot.

Pac-Man in "Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational" seems to be something planned a while... I dunno if they were aware of the Ghostly Adventures introduction; but in any case, his "video game" debut was already done with at least 4 games (Ghostly Adventures, Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, Pac-Man Dash and ...somehow, the Pac-Man Kart Rally for iOS, that updated horribly the model of Pac-Man).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Updated my signature with old Pac-Man. This legendary icon would definitely be a great addition to the roster, bringing even more fun along the way.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sonic Boom's trailer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The entirety of Ghostly Adventures right now.

I'm still neutral on Sonic Boom but i'm not going to argue this.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't understand how Sonic Boom looks appealing to anyone just from that first trailer. It had some choppy camera cuts (Ghostly Adventures has this same problem, and it really bugs me), slightly better lip synching, and a joke that's been done before. Standard kids' fair. Definitely not judging the show based on one trailer, but so far, to me, it doesn't look any better or worse than Ghostly Adventures did when all we had was a trailer.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, so that Hot Shots Golf thing uses the Pac-Man Party design, while Mario Kart Arcade DX uses the Ghostly Adventures design.

....interesting.
I'm kind of hoping the Party design is used for Smash in this case.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'm not expecting Pac-Man Party design, but I'd love as most of the people... But.. guys, we talk, discuss, and back again to the same point.. it's really matter for you guys which desing will be chosen? .. since Pac is in the game, I believe that we will all be really satisfied, right? He'll stay as the same iconic symbol of videogames, and the same beloved NAMCO mascot that we love... and I'm sure that Sakurai would put nice throwbacks on him, just like Sonic and Mega Man (modern design + moveset based in classic games). ... I think we just need to stop to enter in conflict about this.. sure we all have our personal favorite design of Pac-Man, but once again, it's really matter? ..I don't like Sonic's Modern design too, but Smash Brawl was one of my favorites incarnations of him (and Smash4, with his new model, it's perfect, btw), and I got really happy when Sonic entered in the battle, even with his appearence based in the horror o Sonic '06. :\/

-----Edit----
Hot Shots Golf?

Yeah, he appeared in this game exclusive for PS3 and PSVita. he stayed with Pac-Man Party design.. but this game out after SFxTK and Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, but before of Ghostly Adventures (but the show was already on TV).

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm not expecting Pac-Man Party design, but I'd love as most of the people... But.. guys, we talk, discuss, and back again to the same point.. it's really matter for you guys which desing will be chosen? .. since Pac is in the game, I believe that we will all be really satisfied, right? He'll stay as the same iconic symbol of videogames, and the same beloved NAMCO mascot that we love... and I'm sure that Sakurai would put nice throwbacks on him, just like Sonic and Mega Man (modern design + moveset based in classic games). ... I think we just need to stop to enter in conflict about this.. sure we all have our personal favorite design of Pac-Man, but once again, it's really matter? ..I don't like Sonic's Modern design too, but Smash Brawl was one of my favorites incarnations of him (and Smash4, with his new model, it's perfect, btw), and I got really happy when Sonic entered in the battle, even with his appearence based in the horror o Sonic '06. :\/

-----Edit----

Yeah, he appeared in this game exclusive for PS3 and PSVita. he stayed with Pac-Man Party design.. but this game out after SFxTK and Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, but before of Ghostly Adventures (but the show was already on TV).
I'll be happy regardless of what he looks like, but I'll be happiest if it's his Party design. I'm just discussing what version would be best in my opinion.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
so I would with at least an alt skin of Classic Sonic for Sonic in Smash4; XD... nothing to worry buddy, but seems like we just back to his design always, since we can talk about other things... trophies, moveset, music, stage, assits, his reveal, etc. =P

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
so I would with at least an alt skin of Classic Sonic for Sonic in Smash4; XD... nothing to worry buddy, but seems like we just back to his design always, since we can talk about other things... trophies, moveset, music, stage, assits, his reveal, etc. =P
Let's talk about trophies we want to see, then.

Musts:
Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde (together or separate, I don't care)

Near-Musts:
Ms. Pac-Man
Jr. Pac-Man (would genuinely make my life)
Baby Pac-Man
Professor Pac-Man
Chomp Chomp

Would be really cool:
Toc-Man
Spooky (would also make my life)
Erwin
Orson
Power Pellet

Would also be really cool:
Toc-Man 2.0 (World 3)
Sir Pac-a-Lot
The Golden Fruit
Pac-Mobile (World Rally)

Ones that have next to no chance of appearing but which would be really really cool:
Token (World 2)
Blade Mountain (World 2)
Spectral Monsters (World 3)
Yellow Pac-Marine (World 2)
Wyrmwood (the guy that runs the longest level in the whole series)
Those bomb guys (from World Rally)
King Galaxian (World) (his music needs to get in though. it's basically the best in the series)
Anubis Rex (THE MOST FRUSTRATING BOSS IN THE SERIES)
Pooka Plant (World 2)
Chrome Power Pellet
Skeletons (World 1 and 2)
Cavemen (World 1 and 2)
Guardians (World Rally)
Teradecahydratron (World 3) (This would make my life again)
Pirate Ship (World 1)

Other Namco Series:

Dig-Dug and Mr. Driller:
Pooka (PLEASE)
Fygar
Dig-Dug
Mr. Driller

Galaga/Galaxian Series:
Galaxian
Ship from Galaga

Mappy:
Mappy

(Ones I actually expect:
Betrayus (however you spell that)
Cylindria (that her name?)
The oval guy
(hopefully) Fuzbitz
That professor guy
The Mayor
Generic Ghosts)

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I expect:

The Ghost Gang (as Assist Trophies, consequently as trophies in the gallery too);
Cylindria;
Spiral;
Fuzbitz;
Betrayus;
Sir Cumference;
President Spheros;
-Generic Ghosts ('cause I hope they're hazards in a retro maze stage; :3)
--maybe some people from Pac-Man Party, at least Patra (the fox), since it's a Nintendo exclusive game, and the general design is not too far from the actual, for not enter in conflict.

--I'd love Toc-Man as Skin for Pac-Man, but would be nice see a alt based in his Pac-Man World appearence, .. would finish this discussion about design. XD..

-I also expect stickers and other minor mentions about the classic stuff, like Cherries, Ms. Pac-Man and such.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I expect:

The Ghost Gang (as Assist Trophies, consequently as trophies in the gallery too);
Cylindria;
Spiral;
Fuzbitz;
Betrayus;
Sir Cumference;
President Spheros;
-Generic Ghosts ('cause I hope they're hazards in a retro maze stage; :3)
--maybe some people from Pac-Man Party, at least Patra (the fox), since it's a Nintendo exclusive game, and the general design is not too far from the actual, for not enter in conflict.

--I'd love Toc-Man as Skin for Pac-Man, but would be nice see a alt based in his Pac-Man World appearence, .. would finish this discussion about design. XD..

-I also expect stickers and other minor mentions about the classic stuff, like Cherries, Ms. Pac-Man and such.
Yeah, that's all I expect, but I'd be really sad with that selection. My memories are with the World series primarily. I couldn't care less about GA.

Patra, the Yeti, and the Robot would all be cool, but I'd be surprised by them.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Pac-Man World probably would be represented primarily by the music and by the own Pac's moveset. ... once again, I'm taking Sonic as reference... (a simple Monitor Trophy would be enough for some cool classic rep; but no.. we get Jet and Silver trophies instead. =P)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Pac-Man World probably would be represented primarily by the music and by the own Pac's moveset. ... once again, I'm taking Sonic as reference... (a simple Monitor Trophy would be enough for some cool classic rep; but no.. we get Jet and Silver trophies instead. =P)
True. I'm just selfish and want more than I can have.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
we already talked about this (remote) possibility, but I can't see a issue for not put some Mario Kart Arcade GP 1/2/DX's musics, arts and stuff in Smash4;... Arcade games and Japan-only games already had some representation on Smash before.. so why not this series? .. is marketing, is Pac-Man + Mario;,.. I wouldn't get surprised if some M&S Olympics related things appear as well.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I agree with Cyber in that it doesn't matter what design Pac-Man has. He'll probably have an arcade-inspired moveset no matter what he looks like, which is a-okay in my book.

Trophies I'd like to see:
Pac-Man
Pac-Man's Final Smash
Pac-Man (8-bit)
-Note: Basically, this trophy's description would detail the history of Pac-Man's original sprite and how Iwatani came up with the shape. The normal Pac-Man trophy awarded by beating Classic Mode would discuss Pac-Man as a character in general. This trophy's figure would also be rendered as a 2D image.
Dots
Power Pellet
Fruit
Ms. Pac-Man
Jr. Pac-Man
Ghost Gang
Betrayus
Taizo Hori
Pooka
Fygar
Mappy
Racecar (Rally X)
Special Flag
Galaxian Ship

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
HEY PEOPLE AWARE FROM THE "LEAK 3", ... WE ARE JUST TOO CLOSE OF OUR OBJECTIVE! (sorry for the caps)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Don't get too giddy, fellow Pactitioners. Little Mac was a pretty safe bet, after all. More importantly, Mac's reveal demonstrates that characters with a limited amount of abilities can be made into unique fighters if Sakurai so chooses. Not that Pac-Man is lacking in abilities, of course. But Mac shows that even a moveset based on a simple arcade game can definitely work.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Four down! Two to go!

Please, Sakurai, prove the haters wrong... please prove to them that Pac-Man can be unique.

Top Bottom