• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I had already imagined Pac Man's trailer lead in when the leaky 6 came out.

We start on Luigi's Mansion. Luigi is running frantically from several boos. King Boo just behind them. The Poltergust 5000 is roken. Luigi franctically calls out for Mario. But it's no use Mario is already captured by King Boo. Cowering in a corner. Luigi is sure to meet doom. But suddenly...a strange new type of ghost alerts everyone. In fact it's 4 of them.

It's Blinky, Inky, Pink, and Clyde. And there's some strange yellow being following them? Oh...wait it's Pac Man.

He pops out of ball form and into his modern design.

SMASH:

"PAC MAN CHOMPS THE COMPETITION."

-insert game footage of Pac Man here-

Once that's done we go back to King Boo, Blinky, Inky, Pink, Clyde, and the boos. They've alll been literally busted. Mario's cage he's trapped in is bent. Mario, Pac Man, and Luigi stand above the defeated ghosts. They turn to the camera in bad ass poses.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yes, Yes I do.
I'll message you about it in a moment.

I wouldn't put it above Pac-Man World 2, or maybe even World 1, but I'd put it above Pac-Man World 3. It's not the best game I've ever played, but as a platforming adventure game with powerups, it's pretty entertaining and well made. The animations are spectacular on Pac and the ghosts, the voice acting is good (although not the same voice actors from the cartoon except for Pac), and it has a pretty decent length with some pretty unique stages. The boss battles leave something to be desired, but I honestly enjoyed the game and was pleasantly surprised by its quality.
Huh. I think I might just buy it for Wii U when I get it, since I imagine that's superior to the 3DS version (though I might be wrong). Would you say it's worth $27?

(Also, if you haven't gotten to try World 1, I definitely recommend it. It's worth playing.)

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Huh. I think I might just buy it for Wii U when I get it, since I imagine that's superior to the 3DS version (though I might be wrong). Would you say it's worth $27?

(Also, if you haven't gotten to try World 1, I definitely recommend it. It's worth playing.)
Oh believe me, if there's a Pac-Man game, I've played it. xD When the Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures games came out, I bought it on both the PS3 and the 3DS. The 3DS game is surprisingly great too, and if it weren't for its short length (you can run through and beat the game in about 3-4 hours, collecting all the hidden items will take a lot longer though), I would probably put it above the console versions. It was a lot of fun, just too short for $40. $20? Yeah, that sounds much better. And $27 for the console game isn't bad either, considering I bought it for $40 and felt it was worth that.

Maybe give it a rent or borrow first though to find out? I'd hate to have you buy it and then hate it. :p

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Once that's done we go back to King Boo, Blinky, Inky, Pink, Clyde, and the boos. They've alll been literally busted. Mario's cage he's trapped in is bent. Mario, Pac Man, and Luigi stand above the defeated ghosts. They turn to the camera in bad *** poses.
actually, the Ghost Gang are now allies of Pac-Man,.. but I can see this working in a trailer in favor of Pac-Man. =P..

also, welcome @ Bauske Bauske ; glad to see another Ghostly Adventures "fan" around here; at least of the game, since I loved that too. =P (besides, of course, I understand and respect opinion of everybody)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I feel like I should formally welcome Bauske to this thread. It's always good to see a new Pac-Man supporter. From the looks of it, you may be the biggest fan here. I've only played a small fraction of the Pac-Man games you have, so that sort of commitment is pretty darn impressive in my book.

I definitely can't see any appeal in the console versions of Ghostly Adventures, but the 3DS version does have me somewhat interested, though not at a $40 price tag, as Bauske averred. Granted, a lot of this has to do with the fact that my 3DS library is pathetically small at the moment and I'm itching for anything new to play. But still, it does look like a decently entertaining sidescroller.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
actually, the Ghost Gang are now allies of Pac-Man,.. but I can see this working in a trailer in favor of Pac-Man. =P..

also, welcome @ Bauske Bauske ; glad to see another Ghostly Adventures "fan" around here; at least of the game, since I loved that too. =P (besides, of course, I understand and respect opinion of everybody)
The game really wasn't that bad. I defended it in quite a few places. I never put it above what I thought it was, but I encouraged people to give it a chance. It was a fun, well-done platformer.

And yes, I'm a fan of the show too. It's definitely intended for kids, but it's still enjoyable for the Pac-Man fans. I really love what they've done with his character, backstory, and everything. People tend to immediately dismiss it because they think Pac-Man can't possibly have a backstory, but they made one, and did it well for the show. Heck, it's produced from a guy at Marvel, so it's gotta have something going for it, right? And they're producing a season 2! Woop!

In any case, should Pac-Man actually make it into Smash, I honestly would love for them to implement the four ghosts into the action somehow, be it as a move, final smash, background obstacle, or assist trophy. It just wouldn't feel right without them.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I feel like I should formally welcome Bauske to this thread. It's always good to see a new Pac-Man supporter. From the looks of it, you may be the biggest fan here. I've only played a small fraction of the Pac-Man games you have, so that sort of commitment is pretty darn impressive in my book.

I definitely can't see any appeal in the console versions of Ghostly Adventures, but the 3DS version does have me somewhat interested, though not at a $40 price tag, as Bauske averred. Granted, a lot of this has to do with the fact that my 3DS library is pathetically small at the moment and I'm itching for anything new to play. But still, it does look like a decently entertaining sidescroller.
As I said earlier, had the 3DS game been twice as long with more stages and more to do, I would have easily put it above the console version. It's a very solid platformer with great animations, cute visuals, and really fun boss battles, plus a load of extras. I hope they make a sequel and give it a little more love.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
The game really wasn't that bad. I defended it in quite a few places. I never put it above what I thought it was, but I encouraged people to give it a chance. It was a fun, well-done platformer.

And yes, I'm a fan of the show too. It's definitely intended for kids, but it's still enjoyable for the Pac-Man fans. I really love what they've done with his character, backstory, and everything. People tend to immediately dismiss it because they think Pac-Man can't possibly have a backstory, but they made one, and did it well for the show. Heck, it's produced from a guy at Marvel, so it's gotta have something going for it, right? And they're producing a season 2! Woop!

In any case, should Pac-Man actually make it into Smash, I honestly would love for them to implement the four ghosts into the action somehow, be it as a move, final smash, background obstacle, or assist trophy. It just wouldn't feel right without them.
yep, .. agree with you in everything ^^.. I do like the show too, as a casual watch time,.. my little sister loves, and I do watch for a few minutes of entertainment; ... I understand some complains about the developing of the characters, but people are exaggerate to charge certain aspects of the cartoon when it's done mainly to be simple for children. I actually think that Ghostly Adventures is kinda well elaborated and a little too complex given its target audience!. And I love the references to classic games from NAMCO everywhere, ... with sprites hidden in the scenery and such.

about the game, yeah, I always say for people try it a bit... I dunno, maybe it isn't "THE" platform Pac-Man (or a platform game) that you expect... but there's a feel of NAMCO's platform games that I love. Isn't any different with G.A.

and let's wait for our Pacster be in Smash4, friend... and let's handle with those Pac-Haters around here. XD... Bro-Wakka =P

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Oh believe me, if there's a Pac-Man game, I've played it. xD When the Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures games came out, I bought it on both the PS3 and the 3DS. The 3DS game is surprisingly great too, and if it weren't for its short length (you can run through and beat the game in about 3-4 hours, collecting all the hidden items will take a lot longer though), I would probably put it above the console versions. It was a lot of fun, just too short for $40. $20? Yeah, that sounds much better. And $27 for the console game isn't bad either, considering I bought it for $40 and felt it was worth that.

Maybe give it a rent or borrow first though to find out? I'd hate to have you buy it and then hate it. :p
Amazon has the console version for Wii U for $27, so I might just buy that. The 3DS version is about the same too, so I'll probably pick it up. And I'd rather own it and have the games for my collection than rent it.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Did another couple based on Pacack's suggestion of the Pac-Man Party variation of Pac-Man. Even though I still prefer his GA look, I really like the first pose. It's super cute.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I posted this on another thread but felt that it would be better received here.

I also haven't seen much from Pacman fans that shows he would bring anything new to the table.
I think Pac-Man is probably gonna have a moveset that is mostly inspired by arcade games.

Pac-Man is known for eating dots and ghosts... so maybe Pac-Man could eat projectiles as long as he held down the B button to do the "waka waka"... and while you are holding down the B button, you could make Pac-Man move around like how you play the arcade game with the control stick... and Pac-Man could move in all four directions (up, down, left, right) while you are holding down the B button. Pac-Man could bite opponents but it is not the same as Wario's bite move... because Wario's bite only chews the opponent... but Pac-Man's bite could simply knock opponents away. This could work as a recovery move too since you could simply hold down the B button and then push the control stick in any four directions so Pac-Man could "waka waka" back to the stage in right angles.... but you can go "waka waka" for five seconds.

For the Side+B move, he could go "waka waka" like Sonic's spinning move in the direction you pushed the control stick (left or right)... the four blue ghosts appear in front of Pac-Man... and they will let you know how far you can go... so Pac-Man will automatically stop moving when he eats the last ghost... well, that or when he bites the opponent... when Pac-Man eats a ghost, his bite gets stronger and stronger as a homage to the score system in the original arcade where you get 200, 400, 800, and 1600 points... so if Pac-Man eats the fourth ghost, Pac-Man will one-bite KO the opponent if the opponent is in the way...and like in Pac-Mania where Pac-Man could actually jump over ghosts... Pac-Man could automatically jump over projectiles and continue on his way to the last ghost or to bite the opponent.... so it is different from Sonic's Side+B move where projectiles can hit Sonic. Also, the ghosts can hurt opponents if they touch each other.

For the Up+B move, this is the true recovery move, of course... based off the Pac-Dot Chain in Pac-Man World games... you press Up+B and a random fruit appears above Pac-Man... you move the control stick to trace Pac-Man's flight... but it is all right angles... no diagonals... and the fruit leaves a line of yellow dots behind... Pac-Man goes "waka waka" as he eats the dots... Pac-Man can "waka waka" for ten seconds unlike the inferior neutral B recovery. Pac-Man will stop moving when he eats the fruit.

For the Down+B move, this is from Pac-Man World games where Pac-Man bounces... it is like your typical ground pound moves like Yoshi's and Bowser's... except Pac-Man bounces back up to the air after he hits the ground... and you can press Down+B again to make Pac-Man bounce... each bounce will go higher and higher... when Pac-Man connects with the opponent from above, it is a Meteor Smash. Hell, Pac-Man could probably bounce off airborne opponents who are trying to recover and land on the stage.

The Final Smash needs no explanation.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Pac-Man fans have been more than generous in providing evidence for his ability to be unique, though granted, I see supporters post movesets that do a horrible job at providing a good example just as often. Every discussion about Pac-Man in relation to Smash ends up becoming an endless argument about "lack of potential" until eventually the topic gets locked or someone posts a moveset or argument debunking the irrational claim that he couldn't be unique. And even in the latter case, people refuse to change their opinions more often than not (this is true of most any argument in life). The argument that he can't and wouldn't be unique has already been debunked. Anyone who can't see why Pac-Man has potential either hasn't been educated on the subject, or they simply refuse to acknowledge the fact. There is no reason to, on the basis of uniqueness potential, accept the inclusion of Wii Fit Trainer but vehemently oppose that of Pac-Man.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
People used the same "lack of potential", "lack of uniqueness" bull**** arguments against Little Mac being playable in Smash.

Now everyone and their mothers can't stop watching his reveal trailer.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only way to force people to accept that Pac-Man is really unique is if Sakurai actually put him in Smash as a playable character.... remember how the Little Mac haters said that all he could do is punch so he cannot be unique.. and yet Sakurai came up with an unique moveset that consisted entirely of punches (so the haters and the supporters were both right)... so perhaps Pac-Man could get an unique moveset that consisted entirely of eating dots, ghosts, and fruits.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Moveset potential is limited not by what the character can do, but by what can be done with the things they can do.
Exactly... that's how I came up with the Duck Hunt Dog's moveset... all I had to do was look at what real-life hunting dogs do and how the NES game Duck Hunt is played...

Perhaps Sakurai can come up with a crazy-awesome-unique moveset for Pac-Man after observing how Pac-Man arcade games are played... and give him some Tekken moves for his normal moves... what? He needs to punch and kick too... :awesome:

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
People used the same "lack of potential", "lack of uniqueness" bull**** arguments against Little Mac being playable in Smash.

Now everyone and their mothers can't stop watching his reveal trailer.
That's because most people don't know **** about boxing. The fact that Little Mac has an actual martial art under his belt gives him thousands of years worth of material.

Reila

His reveal trailer is really good. I can't wait to listen to the music in the trailer (without the random sounds), I really hope it is present in the soundtrack of the game. As a fan of Hajime no Ippo, I am really considering re-watching the whole show (for the third time LoL) because of the trailer. I think I will go crazy when (if) Ridley is revealed. Anyway, sorry for the off topic, back to Pac-Man we go.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I was avoiding a bit to bring this video to you guys, but I found it necessary, by fault some new comments that have arisen regarding the relevance of Pac-Man on Nintendo consoles and questions about his moveset.

The video is in Portuguese, but I put English subtitles, just turn it on (the original plan was to record the audio in English, but I was not too sure of my pronunciation. :\/) .. The Pac-Man part begins at 12:17; please friends, check it out, and tell me what you think; ..

Reila

@ CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia ; I think what Sakurai meant with that phrase was: "Don't even dream about Tales of, Soul Calibur or Tekken characters in Smash. Ids not habbening". Bandai Namco's mascot is clearly the exception, not only because of his status as the mascot, but because of his importance to gaming as a whole. If Pac-Man isn't a rep in SSB4, Nintendo lost a big chance of making the Smash franchise even more relevant.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Smash has an opportunity that few games can have, doing a reunion of the 4 main mascots of the gaming story; Will be very very stupid of their part not putting Pac-Man on the game. .. seriously. the game is already fantastic, the purchase is already justified, but c'mon, is a "one generation" game, and a rare oportunity. =P.

and I totally agree about this kind of interpretation of Sakurai's statement XD.. but, even after that, in the interview he gave, he was very positive about Pac-Man's possibility.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
His playstyle should definitely involve around eating, he's able to gain bits of power through means of eating projectiles and pac-dots.
Maybe if you get hit a couple of times you lose the power, somewhat like Little Mac in a sense. You guys really made the character really interesting to me now. :)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Cyber, I watched your entire video, and while I disagree with Ashley, all of your points and arguments are well-made, neatly presented, and clearly delivered. You have a very composed way of speaking and reciting your thoughts, and I applaud that. The part about Pac-Man especially is well-spoken.

And yes, not including Pac-Man now would be a sorely missed opportunity. Even so, should that missed opportunity come to pass, I will still support Pac-Man for the next Smash, even if Namco isn't making it.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Cyber, I watched your entire video, and while I disagree with Ashley, all of your points and arguments are well-made, neatly presented, and clearly delivered. You have a very composed way of speaking and reciting your thoughts, and I applaud that. The part about Pac-Man especially is well-spoken.

And yes, not including Pac-Man now would be a sorely missed opportunity. Even so, should that missed opportunity come to pass, I will still support Pac-Man for the next Smash, even if Namco isn't making it.
Well thank you, friend. ^^.. really glad you liked (and I'm surprised you had patience to watch the whole video. XD.. the Ashley part was.. more kinda personal,.. she wasn't exactly a character that I expected for the roster anyway);... I think we should make videos about Pac more often.. I saw this from Ridley's supporters, I think I saw on K. Rool's thread some too... but not here,.. well, I was the first, hope you guys start to be encouraged with this. =) and thanks again. 0/

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
That's because most people don't know **** about boxing. The fact that Little Mac has an actual martial art under his belt gives him thousands of years worth of material.
Well to be fair, Little Mac's crazy off-balance style goes against general wisdom in boxing.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
there's something you guys would like to point out about the video? something you think that should be cited that I didn't?.. something to add? I'm curious, by the time I made the video (the last day of the year 2013), I thought that I pretty much covered all the details and related pieces about Pac's relevance and moveset possibility, principally 'cause I brought a lot of footage of games for illustrating better his abilities and capacities.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well to be fair, Little Mac's crazy off-balance style goes against general wisdom in boxing.
Explain.

I have some food for thought for you guys. We all know Pa-Man's thing has always been eating dots in a line. Now what if you we took that concept and applied it to a whole playstyle. What would you do? Use references to other characters in and outside of Smash if you can.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pac-Man really needs to have a special move that involves eating ghosts.

Watch the intro... where Pac-Man eats four ghosts in a row...

Notice that Pac-Man scores more points when he eats four ghosts in a row with only one Power Pellet... 200... 400... 800... 1600...

I was thinking that maybe Pac-Man's Side+B could be based on eating ghosts...

If Pac-Man bites an opponent, it deals 10% damage... but if Pac-Man eats one ghost, Pac-Man's bite becomes stronger... and he can inflict 20% damage when he bites the opponent...

If Pac-Man eats the second ghost, Pac-Man's bite becomes stronger... and he can inflict 40% damage when he bites the opponent... if Pac-Man eats the third ghost, Pac-Man's bite becomes stronger... and he can inflict 80% damage when he bites the opponent...

If Pac-Man eats the last ghost, Pac-Man's bite becomes an one-bite KO... and Pac-Man can KO the opponent with only one bite.

How does this work...? Well, when the player inputs Side+B, Pac-Man temporarily loses his limbs and becomes a sphere just like in Pac-Mania... and Pac-Man goes "waka waka" in that direction... and blue ghosts appear in front of Pac-Man... and Pac-Man starts chasing blue ghosts in that direction... Pac-Man cannot turn back when the player pushes the control stick in the opposite direction... that would simply cancel the special move and Pac-Man turns back to normal with limbs... and he has to start over again... so even if Pac-Man ate three ghosts but stopped right there and then the next time Pac-Man does this special move, the first ghost won't give Pac-Man an one-bite KO... no, Pac-Man has to eat all four ghosts in a row to get the one-bite KO.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Explain.

I have some food for thought for you guys. We all know Pa-Man's thing has always been eating dots in a line. Now what if you we took that concept and applied it to a whole playstyle. What would you do? Use references to other characters in and outside of Smash if you can.
He staggers after some attacks. A good boxer would deliver a punch under his chin with a KO if he ever lunged at them with a punch as he does with three of his moves. Little Mac doesn't borrow that heavily from thousands of years of traditional boxing and his moveset shouldn't. His style is much better visually and very dynamic.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik Pretty good idea, .. maybe a little complex, but I do see this working, principally by the throwback aspect, and the mechanic would make his gameplay pretty unique; .. aesthetically, something like this could occur;

could make a nice visual effect (and maybe with some dramatization effect of eating ghosts like in Championship DX), and his animation goes like something alike in the 17:25 on my video above. =D

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Explain.

Hmm...

This is the neutral B move I just came up with just now...

When the player presses and holds down the B button, Pac-Man turns into a limbless sphere... and while you are holding down the B button, a line of dots appears in front of Pac-Man... and then while you are still holding down the B button, you must move the control stick around to draw a path of dots...

Since there were 240 dots in the original arcade, let's drop the zero and make it 24 dots that appear in front of Pac-Man... and for every 6 dots that appears, a Power Pellet appears, followed by 6 more dots, and so on...

Pac-Man goes "waka waka" when after the fourth Power Pellet appears (after the 24th dot) or when the player releases the B button... and Pac-Man eats the dots very quickly (I mean like Pikachu's Up+B fast)... and when Pac-Man eats a Power Pellet, he gets super armor and it protects Pac-Man from getting knocked away while he is trying to eat the dots... and it knocks opponents (who are in the way) away...

If the opponent is overlapping with a Power Pellet when Pac-Man eats that Power Pellet, the opponent gets hurt with 50% damage (based on Power Pellets being worth 50 points in the arcade)... so this could be an one-bite KO if the opponent already has high damage percentage...

Oh... and the line of dots are not curvy nor diagonal... no, if you want to go up and down... Pac-Man must turn in right angles... just like the arcade...

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Applying this to a whole playstyle seems a little unreasonable, and I don't think this should be the route taken with the character. While I don't advocate wholly relying on eating dots in a line to constitute the basis of the entire moveset, I'd certainly apply it to some degree. A Neutral or Side Special Move that allows Pac-Man to chomp briefly in any direction (or combination thereof) for a limited distance would certainly be a good way to adapt the original gameplay into a Smash environment. I'd likely incorporate the ghosts as summonable features that, coupled with the aforementioned chomping move, could be chased around, able to plow into enemies. Pac-Man could also adopt the dots as projectiles or disjointed effects for his various other attacks, and a slew of biting moves for things such as a Fsmash would be in order.

Personally, I would adapt Pac-Man into a free-roaming character that ignores differences in ground and air locomotion. He'd be able to transition from ground to air and back without suffering any major shifts in momentum or speed. On top of this, I would make extensive use of his chomping by making him a character with excellent shield pressure, who can literally eat away at the opponent's defenses by doing high shield damage with each bite he takes. This would reward him for staying on his opponent's toes and not giving them room to breathe, much like he does when trapping a blue ghost in a corner of a maze. On that same coin, he'd be somewhat lightweight and have a poor shield himself (as he is a one hit-point wonder in his original game), so defensively, he'd be rather weak, and so he'd have excellent speed and maneuverability in order to allow himself to slip past his pursuers and come at them from a different angle when one approach fails. I suppose he'd be just a little like Toro in PlayStation All-Stars, with his ability to pressure defending opponents with fast strikes, and make quick escapes and approaches.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Applying this to a whole playstyle seems a little unreasonable, and I don't think this should be the route taken with the character. While I don't advocate wholly relying on eating dots in a line to constitute the basis of the entire moveset, I'd certainly apply it to some degree. A Neutral or Side Special Move that allows Pac-Man to chomp briefly in any direction (or combination thereof) for a limited distance would certainly be a good way to adapt the original gameplay into a Smash environment. I'd likely incorporate the ghosts as summonable features that, coupled with the aforementioned chomping move, could be chased around, able to plow into enemies. Pac-Man could also adopt the dots as projectiles or disjointed effects for his various other attacks, and a slew of biting moves for things such as a Fsmash would be in order.

Personally, I would adapt Pac-Man into a free-roaming character that ignores differences in ground and air locomotion. He'd be able to transition from ground to air and back without suffering any major shifts in momentum or speed. On top of this, I would make extensive use of his chomping by making him a character with excellent shield pressure, who can literally eat away at the opponent's defenses by doing high shield damage with each bite he takes. This would reward him for staying on his opponent's toes and not giving them room to breathe, much like he does when trapping a blue ghost in a corner of a maze. On that same coin, he'd be somewhat lightweight and have a poor shield himself (as he is a one hit-point wonder in his original game), so defensively, he'd be rather weak, and so he'd have excellent speed and maneuverability in order to allow himself to slip past his pursuers and come at them from a different angle when one approach fails. I suppose he'd be just a little like Toro in PlayStation All-Stars, with his ability to pressure defending opponents with fast strikes, and make quick escapes and approaches.
This sounds a lot like my moveset lol. I agree, he should have a fast moveset and deliver quick, sheild pressuring, and very strong blows.

D

Deleted member

I agree to not just eating the ghosts. If you're going to use them in a moveset, summoning to then kill them really creates some issues, although you could show Pac-Man being abusive toward them. Including the ghosts at all has to be delicately balanced to not make them seem either masochistic or just an assist like in Marvel vs Capcom. There's depth to the way you can use them as minions or supporting characters in their own right.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I just thought I'd drop in and say that I support Pac-Man wholeheartedly.

I was just looking through my sig and making sure I supported every characters on it's thread.

We start on Luigi's Mansion. Luigi is running frantically from several boos. King Boo just behind them. The Poltergust 5000 is roken. Luigi franctically calls out for Mario. But it's no use Mario is already captured by King Boo. Cowering in a corner. Luigi is sure to meet doom. But suddenly...a strange new type of ghost alerts everyone. In fact it's 4 of them.

It's Blinky, Inky, Pink, and Clyde. And there's some strange yellow being following them? Oh...wait it's Pac Man.

He pops out of ball form and into his modern design.

SMASH:

"PAC MAN CHOMPS THE COMPETITION."

-insert game footage of Pac Man here-

Once that's done we go back to King Boo, Blinky, Inky, Pink, Clyde, and the boos. They've alll been literally busted. Mario's cage he's trapped in is bent. Mario, Pac Man, and Luigi stand above the defeated ghosts. They turn to the camera in bad *** poses.
You forgot the "b" in "Poltergust is broken."

Sorry, it was just extremely bothering me.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I was avoiding a bit to bring this video to you guys, but I found it necessary, by fault some new comments that have arisen regarding the relevance of Pac-Man on Nintendo consoles and questions about his moveset.

The video is in Portuguese, but I put English subtitles, just turn it on (the original plan was to record the audio in English, but I was not too sure of my pronunciation. :\/) .. The Pac-Man part begins at 12:17; please friends, check it out, and tell me what you think; ..
You made that? Wow, man, that was awesome! You made some really excellent points without sounding like a fanboy. It was precise and educated. Good job!

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Honestly, when it comes to Pac-Man's moveset, I think it should really be pretty simple. Most of his standard attacks can be headbutts or punches. Smashes can be charged up kicks, punches, and the like.

As for his specials, this is what I have in mind:

Standard B: A simple chomp, which could do increasing damage to the same target if hit.
Side B: A slingshot where he fires a pac pellet across the screen, which loses speed and momentum and eventually falls, like Link's arrow. Or a rev roll, but we already have Sonic and (potentially) Jigglypuff doing that same thing.
Down B: Definitely a butt bounce which could be a continuous thing if you kept pressing down B, and you could bounce off of people's heads if timed correctly.
Up B: I'm conflicted on this one. I'd like it to be a standard dot chain where he moves up and over at a 45 degree angle for a short distance, but I also really like the idea of him pulling out a hang glider (from Pac-Man 2) and riding it upward shortly before abandoning it, which on its decent could be potentially used by other players as a platform before it quickly disappears out of the arena.
Final Smash: This one has always been easy for me. Pac-Man eats a Power Pill, the other characters all turn a shade of blue, and he gets the ability to fly or move faster around the field chasing them down. If he nabs one of them, it's an instant KO and a pair of eyeballs float out of the arena. Last for about 5 seconds before the enemy fighters all flash white and blue and revert back to normal.

He has a lot of versatility I think, and if they put him in the game, I really hope Sakurai utilizes his vast history of gaming to create a unique moveset that references as many games as possible while still keeping him coherent.

I may be one of the odd ones here, but I honestly don't like the idea of him reverting to just a classic 2-D circle with wedge cut out during gameplay. I dunno, it feels really weird. Game & Watch can do that because he's a 2-D blob of LCD. None of the other characters really do things like that though.

Top Bottom