• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Waka Waka, *******.

I would like to bring up the fact that Sakurai has said any 3rd party character has to be a 'Special Situation' and say that actually helps his chances, because unlike pretty much every other 3rd party considered, he qualifies.

Edit: Holy ****, dat fokkin OP man. I love it. You cover EVERYTHING. You'd convince Sakurai himself with that.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I saw a few little errors in the OP (spacing, mainly) and figured that I'd point them out so that they may be fixed.

( < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > )

"Pac-Man specifically doesn't even suffer from this kind of severe lack of abilities. In the *Pac-Man Worldgames,"

*Pac-Man World games.

"Pac-Man's other outings have also *faired generally well in reception. Games such as Pac-Man 2 and *thePac-Man World series have all received average to above-average professional *scores. *Pac-Man World 2notably became *a greatest hits title on all three home consoles it was released for."

*fared
*the Pac-Man World series
*scores; notably, Pac-Man World 2 became (I changed the positioning of 'notably' for flow of sentence and added semicolon because sentences were both going off of the same thought.)
*Greatest Hits (if it's a title of some sort of award), OR *a commercial success (or something if it's saying that it became a hit on all consoles)

"This is another *“subjective” argument, as different people have their own opinions of what they consider to be boring."

*subjective (remove quotations, as it is worded in a way that makes it seem as though you're slapping yourself in the face with a raw fish)

( < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > )

Otherwise, a very good read that covers all arguments very thoroughly and effectively. I apologize if I missed any spacing errors/issues.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I loved Pac-Man World 2 for the Gamecube. Would be very cool if Pac-Man would join Smash Bros 4 and use the rev roll and whatnot.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I noticed the spacing problems too; it wasn't like that in my original document, so I blame XenForo. Thanks for the corrections though, Pacack. Glad everyone seems to be satisfied with the write-up.

D

Deleted member

I corrected the errors, along with giving good note that the new section was all BridgesWithTurtles, truly amazing section. This OP is really awesome now thanks to many great submissions. Good work everyone!

D

Deleted member

There's always room for more sections! You just have to be imaginative in coming up with one.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
There's always room for more sections! You just have to be imaginative in coming up with one.
Yup, yup, yup. Why, off the top of my head, we've enough movesets to compile into a moveset section. Or how about fan art? There's a lot that could be done. Smash 4's launch is still far-off, so it'd be no waste to stretch our cerebral muscles at this point in time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
When I saw the title change to "Now with arguments" my first thought was "We've got enough of those in the Krystal thread".

I know what it means but...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The OP is so beautiful that I like to direct this to anyone who dares say that he's irrelevant, has no good history with Nintendo, or has no moves. Great job, Smash Daddy and BridgesWithTurtles.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Of coarse just because namco and sakurai said no special appreciation doesn't make pacman impossible he still has a 50/50 shot

TheCreator

Smash Lord
To be honest. With Pacman what we really need to figure out if Sakurai would give Namco a rep. If so, we have Pacman.

I remember in an argument against him, Smashcu I think it was, had said Pacman's new show and games were an attempt to have him rebranded as there mascot again. He said this wouldn't work.
Smashchu said this of course having no idea if it was true, but it sure seems right by the way things look. The deal is though: If that's the truth I completely expect Pacman to be in this game. What better way to make him popular enough to be their macot again than by having him represent them in smash bros? I seriously doubt they'd have to do more than ask Sakurai fo him to OK this, he tends to know his icons.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
In regards to additional sections for the OP, it wouldn't hurt to include all the signature icons for Pac-Man in the OP. All those lengthy and detailed movesets that have been posted here and there could also do with an OP inclusion, since the single one there isn't very detailed and all. I think that the only thing needed to make the front post more professional-looking is the implementation of spoiler tags for each individual section, especially the counterarguments, so that people with a slow internet can still read it easily.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Wow,.the OP is perfection at best. I can't think of anything to make it better information-wise (except adding my FULL moveset XD) I don't believe that anyone can come up with a coherent dispute against pac-man's inclusion after reading this. But time will only tell if sakurai will agree.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Wow,.the OP is perfection at best. I can't think of anything to make it better information-wise (except adding my FULL moveset XD) I don't believe that anyone can come up with a coherent dispute against pac-man's inclusion after reading this. But time will only tell if sakurai will agree.
If you ask me, every character has their coherent arguments. My attempt was simply to refute the bad ones.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Imagine Pac-Man, Sonic, Megaman, and Mario duking it out in a SSB4 free-for-all.

IMAGINE THE EPICNESS

D

Deleted member

That is one of the main reasons I want Pac-Man, it creates an amazing free-for-all off the bat. I just hope they balance up Sonic and Mario so that match-up is not kind of boring as it is in Brawl, MegaMan looks to be very exciting already.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
That IS the sequel to Mario Kart GP.
If that comes to the US, I think I'll buy one of those machines....and have it center piece my living room.

Ok so in my thoughts to myself while sadly nobody bumped this thread, I was thinking about mario kart gp.
If you look at that game, it is a Mario kart game. Made by Nintendo with Mario characters. But it was for arcade, so for some reason Namco Bandai helped with development. But it was a Mario Kart game. The only thing, is that Namco Bandai helped with development. And knowing how much Namco likes crossovers...I'm guessing they asked for Pacman and some Pacman characters to be in this game. With that same logic applieing to SSB4, And with Namco trying to once again brand Pacman as a mascot for them (maybe), I would say Pacman is shoo in. But this is all hypothetical.
It sounds REAAAALLY plausable, but still hypothetical.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
At this point, I think Pac-Man is just... IN the game. I really have no doubts. Brand new tv show, brand new game based on said tv show, he's been in Street Fighter x Tekken (Which also featured Mega Man) AND all of the Mario Kart Arcade GP games, and to top it all off Namco is helping develop the game (The reason Namco characterS don't get special consideration is because Pac-Man is not plural and he's the only choice).

D

Deleted member

I like to think he's a guarantee. The only thing really holding him back is if Sakurai doesn't like the character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
If that comes to the US, I think I'll buy one of those machines....and have it center piece my living room.

Ok so in my thoughts to myself while sadly nobody bumped this thread, I was thinking about mario kart gp.
If you look at that game, it is a Mario kart game. Made by Nintendo with Mario characters. But it was for arcade, so for some reason Namco Bandai helped with development. But it was a Mario Kart game. The only thing, is that Namco Bandai helped with development. And knowing how much Namco likes crossovers...I'm guessing they asked for Pacman and some Pacman characters to be in this game. With that same logic applieing to SSB4, And with Namco trying to once again brand Pacman as a mascot for them (maybe), I would say Pacman is shoo in. But this is all hypothetical.
This.

Plus, I think it says it all if you look at the characters that have been chosen for Mario Kart Arcade GP in the past - Pac-Man, the Ghosts, Tamagotchi, Don-Chan, etc. Like, I don't want to say it outright disproves characters such as Lloyd, but I think it shows exactly what kind of Namco-Bandai characters they think work best in an environment with a cast of Nintendo characters, visually speaking of course.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Namco doesn't have a say in the roster. Sakurai does. He's made that clear.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Namco doesn't have a say in the roster. Sakurai does. He's made that clear.
But we know he takes requests. And with Namco Bandai working on the game, and as you said trying to rebrand him as their mascot, you think they would ask? Because I do. And really he could ask IN PERSON if he wanted to.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
But we know he takes requests. And with Namco Bandai working on the game, and as you said trying to rebrand him as their mascot, you think they would ask? Because I do. And really he could ask IN PERSON if he wanted to.
Well, he doesn't take request anymore. However, it's possible that they might've asked if he'd be interested in a spot before Sakurai stated he wasn't taking requests anymore.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So far, the only person to ever ask was Kojima. It's clear no one ask because even the Tales director said "Hey guys. Ask Sakurai to put Tales characters in Smash," when he could have gone down the hall and asked himself.

Sakurai does look at fans request, but have you seen Pac-Man. He's only holding on due to US demand and even that is bad (he's being beaten by Banjo Kazzoie who can't be in the game). There really isn't anything going for Pac-Man. He's only brought up for being a Namco character who looks like he'd fit in. If any other Namco character was somewhat popular, Pac-Man would die. We see this in Japan where Pac-Man has no base and fans talk instead about Tales.

D

Deleted member

So far, the only person to ever ask was Kojima. It's clear no one ask because even the Tales director said "Hey guys. Ask Sakurai to put Tales characters in Smash," when he could have gone down the hall and asked himself.

Sakurai does look at fans request, but have you seen Pac-Man. He's only holding on due to US demand and even that is bad (he's being beaten by Banjo Kazzoie who can't be in the game). There really isn't anything going for Pac-Man. He's only brought up for being a Namco character who looks like he'd fit in. If any other Namco character was somewhat popular, Pac-Man would die. We see this in Japan where Pac-Man has no base and fans talk instead about Tales.
I agree that talking about what Namco wants is inconsequential, but it does give insight into how Sakurai may form his decisions. The thing about all of this, is that Sakurai doesn't need to ask Namco who they'd want as it's extremely obvious. Pac-Man may not get many fan requests but that is because he's a retro character at heart, so it's about as meaningless as G&W or Ice Climbers not getting requests. He certainly has hardcore fans and his inclusion would draw them to Smash Bros., the facts are there to back up Pac-Man as a gaming icon. That's as good a reason to add him as any other.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
There really isn't anything going for Pac-Man.
It's like you haven't read a single post in this thread... especially the OP.

He's only brought up for being a Namco character who looks like he'd fit in.
Do you really think this is the reason he's brought up? He's not just A Namco character. He's THE Namco character. In fact, He's THE third party character. More well known than Sonic, Mega Man and surprisingly even Mario.
http://kotaku.com/5432611/pac+man-still-beats-mario-for-most+famous-crown

If any other Namco character was somewhat popular, Pac-Man would die. We see this in Japan where Pac-Man has no base and fans talk instead about Tales.
Pac-Man will never die. If it was going to happen if would have happened already, like it's happened with Crash Bandicoot. Pac-Man is a legend that lives on and is even gaining a lot of steam as of late.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love to see Pac-Man get palette swaps similar to Pikachu and Jigglypuff where Pac-Man wears different hats and bows... but I want to see Pac-Man's palette swaps make him resemble other Pac-Man characters, well-known and obscure alike... for Pac-Man is full of pure retro goodness!!! :awesome:

Pac-Man - default
Ms. Pac-Man - red team, red bow and makeup
Jr. Pac-Man - blue team, blue hat with helicopter blades
Miru - green team, green body with red bow and makeup (from Pac & Pal)
Professor Pac-Man - black graduation hat and glasses
Baby Pac-Man - pink bonnet and white socks/gloves

TheCreator

Smash Lord

To your first sentence, truthfully you have no idea. There could have been others ask that you have no idea about.
To your second sentence, that doesn't make anything clear at all. Pacman could have been in the game already when he said that for all we know.

To the next two, holding on to what exactly? If you ever thought, or thought that WE thought, Pacman would be in the game for popularity, you're mistaken.
To the one after that....no
To the rest, that is just simply not true brother. I think Dig Dug would fit in this game pretty well. **** dude, lloyd would even be able to fit in. Pacman is not brought up only because he fits in....he is brought up because he's Pacman. I like the way luigiman said this: "Pac-Man will never die."
Fans talk instead of Tales in Japan? They do here too for the most part. But you know what? That doesn't matter at all. Because unless a third party character is extremely requested, odds are they don't qualify as a 'Special Situation' EX; Lloyd Irving. Does not qualify.
But as I said "odds are" There are exceptions. Pacman is under any definition ever is a Special Situation man. The biggest icon in all of gaming, is a special situation. I think Sakurai likes the idea of Pacman in the game anyway, and would probably ask if they didn't.

Top Bottom