• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

CalumG

Smash Lord
I do have one questioning comment, however. If Quick Chomp is essentially just a horizontal version of the Pellet Chomp, why not just allow the player to input his recovery left or right to get the same effect? I think Quick Chomp is a decent idea, but I'm not so sure it needs its own move slot when it can essentially be mimicked by his Up Special (albeit, likely at a slower pace if what I believe you intended is true).
Well, although they'd be somewhat similar animation-wise, they'd actually be very different moves. Pellet Chomp is exactly what it says it is - effectively giving the player 3-5 seconds to control Pac-Man exactly how he did in the arcade classics. Quick Chomp, by contrast, is chargeable to shoot Pac-Man off horizontally (at varying speed and distance based on the charge), each hit of Quick Chomp would get progressively weaker, and you would be unable to cancel a Quick Chomp halfway through performing the move (I was picturing that Pellet Chomp could be cancelled at any point by doing an Aerial attack). I guess I didn't explain it well enough, but I guess it wouldn't be dissimilar to how Pikachu can use either his Up-B or Side-B to recover, as can Fox, or Ike. Difference is, Pac-Man's wouldn't render him vulnerable in air so he could follow one with the other.

Of course, with aerial mobility that trumps Game and Watch, and multi-hit moves that rival Metaknight, it'd be easy to call Pac-Man a broken character. I guess I'd balance this out by making his hit-boxes small (since he's primarily biting; he's not extending his reach with punches and kicks) and by making him a glass-cannon - he'd be lighter than Squirtle with poor shielding ability, making him easy to KO (it only takes one hit in his own games, so it makes sense).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, although they'd be somewhat similar animation-wise, they'd actually be very different moves. Pellet Chomp is exactly what it says it is - effectively giving the player 3-5 seconds to control Pac-Man exactly how he did in the arcade classics. Quick Chomp, by contrast, is chargeable to shoot Pac-Man off horizontally (at varying speed and distance based on the charge), each hit of Quick Chomp would get progressively weaker, and you would be unable to cancel a Quick Chomp halfway through performing the move (I was picturing that Pellet Chomp could be cancelled at any point by doing an Aerial attack). I guess I didn't explain it well enough, but I guess it wouldn't be dissimilar to how Pikachu can use either his Up-B or Side-B to recover, as can Fox, or Ike. Difference is, Pac-Man's wouldn't render him vulnerable in air so he could follow one with the other.

Of course, with aerial mobility that trumps Game and Watch, and multi-hit moves that rival Metaknight, it'd be easy to call Pac-Man a broken character. I guess I'd balance this out by making his hit-boxes small (since he's primarily biting; he's not extending his reach with punches and kicks) and by making him a glass-cannon - he'd be lighter than Squirtle with poor shielding ability, making him easy to KO (it only takes one hit in his own games, so it makes sense).
Thanks for the explanation. I get what you mean now. I like the sound of all of it, and I'd definitely enjoy playing as this take on Pac-Man you've got going on.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If I may also add something - Pac-Man Championship Edition and Championship Edition DX are modern, up-to-date, expand on the Pac-Man formula and were near-universally regarded as very good games by gamers and game reviewers alike. "Hasn't been relevant since Pac-Man 2" isn't just a dumb thing to say, it's factually incorrect.

However, whilst I'm here, I would like to put forward my own Pac-Man moveset/playstyle. Straight off the bat, I'd say that I actually want Pac-Man to look like his new appearance:

Sure, some say it looks creepy in images, but in motion this Pac-Man is arguably one of the better-looking designs for him (shame it hasn't been in a decent game yet), and I'd say is actually the most fitting design Pac could have to fit in with the rest of the Smash 4 ast. That being said, I'd like him to have jittery animations which look like they have a few frames missing, like Wario or Mr. Game and Watch (although not as pronounced as GW).

Onto playstyle however, my vision of Pac-Man is that he should play as close to his original games as possible, not unlike how they took utmost care to preserve Sonic, Snake and Megaman's personalities through their movesets. However, this is naturally harder to do for a character like Pac-Man who typically appears in top-down games where he has little attack capability apart from his mouth. So how could Pac-Man's iconic playstyle be implemented into Smash? My idea is for him to be a character with a strong sense of 4-directional movement and low-knockback, multi-hit attacks.

Firstly, I'd like to suggest that people's suggestion for Pac-Man's Up Special - Pellet Chomp is pretty much a shoe-in for his recovery, and frankly, there's little else I could think of that would be more fitting for Pac-Man's up Special. For this move, the player gets a few seconds to control Pac-Man in any of the four directions of the original game. The pellets that'd appear in front of Pac-Man would merely be a visual effect, as you'd actually control Pac-Man rather than the chain itself, and he would control almost exactly as he did in the original arcade classic, except he also does multi-hit damage to those he touches.

Secondly, he'd have a move that'd serve as a horizontal recovery of sorts - his Side Special - Quick Chomp, which, like Ike's Side Special, can be charged varying amounts to get him further across the stage. Effectively, he dashes straight horizontally, doing more chomps (which do more damage and knockback with the initial bites, and less so the further he travels). However, it is far slower-moving than Ike's Quick Draw, and takes far less time to charge. Neither Pellet Chomp nor Quick Chomp leave Pac-Man in a vulnerable state, meaning Pac-Man can continue attacking after either move. Not only that, he can perform each of the moves once whilst mid-air, meaning he can chain together either a Pellet Chomp then a Quick Chomp, or vice versa.

Pac-Man's Dash Attack should be a singular weak bite, done whilst running. Doesn't sound particularly interesting by itself, but Pac-Man's Dash Attack would be unique, in that it would be the only Dash Attack that barely slows the user down and has little-to-no lag frames at the end of the move. This means that effectively, if he goes unstopped, Pac-Man could run from one end of the stage to the other, doing consecutive Dash Attacks - something no other character in Smash can do.

Whilst we're on the topic of unique character traits, most characters fast-falls increase their falling speed by around 40% in Brawl, aside from Link and Squirtle who's fast-falls make them fall about 65% faster. Pac-Man would have the biggest fast-fall difference in the game, making him fall a whopping 80% faster. Also, when fast-falling, Pac-Man's horizontal movement ("air speed") is gimped, meaning that his fast-fall effectively brings him into a sharp vertical descent.

Pac-Man would have two other methods of sharp vertical descent - his Down Special - Butt Bounce, which I guess would perform as most expect it would, and his Down Aerial, which would simply be Pac biting downwards in mid-air, but it would be a stall-then-fall move, similar to Sheik, Toon Link or GW's Down Aerial, which propels Pac-Man downwards (even moreso if done on the C-Stick). I don't know what kind of throws Pac-Man should have, but again, I think it should be heavily influenced by his arcade origins, with each throw being very stiff in animation and the character in question being thrown almost straight in any of the three directions (rather than slight diagonals). The rest of his physical moves would probably just be variations on punches, kicks and bites - not particularly 'creative', but Pac-Man not attacking with his mouth would be like Olimar not attacking with his Pikmin, or the FE characters not attacking with their swords. For the sake of variety they could give him a Bomb move for his Standard B (from Pac-Man Championship Edition), because I think it's important that most of Pac's moves come from what would be considered 'traditional-style' Pac-Man games.

And that's all I really have, for now at least. It's not a full moveset by any means, but it gives a good idea of where I think Pac-Man should go in terms of a playable character. Lots of multi-hit attacks, and lots of single-direction moves. Nearly every attack in Smash Bros. is at a slight diagonal in terms of Knockback, but every single move in Pac-Man's line-up would be directly in one of four directions. Plus, of course, he'd be one of the best in the game in terms of aerial capability due to him lacking a vulnerable state, being able to chain his two chomp specials together, being able to drop down to land fast, an having some compelling aerial attacks. To sum it up simply, Pac-Man would be one of the best in the game in terms of both Horizontal and Vertical movement (he was always running away in his games after all), all whilst never having to compromise his ability to get as many multi-hit biting moves in as possible.
I admire this moveset. I have been trying to make a moveset that reflects on his classic games and this would have too be the best one i have seen. Good job :). I like the playstyle with multi hit moves and horizontal movement all around . unique indeed.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I admire this moveset. I have been trying too make a most that reflect on his classic games and this would have too be the best one i have seen. Good job :). But i still would want to give him moves from modern pacman world games too like Mario in which he has a good mixture of past and present. I like the playstile though with multi hit moves and horizontal movement all around . unique indeed.
Well - he has his Butt-Bounce move, which wasn't seen until his 3D games (I believe?). My opinion is that he should be like Sonic, taking much of his moveset influence from the older games, but using his newer appearances for other aspects of his character. His roll animation for example would have his limbs temporarily disappear (a reference to Pac 'n' Roll among other games), his Bomb is technically from one of his newest games (Championship Edition was 2010 wasn't it?), and one of his taunts could be him eating a piece of fruit with a 1 in 10 chance of it being golden fruit. Plus I intentionally didn't come up with many physical attacks for Pac-Man so the blanks could be filled by more modern moves - a few of his punches, for example, could be electrically charged (Pac-Man World 3).

Also, since Pac-Man wouldn't really look right in any colour but yellow, he could have a Pikachu style hat system. One costume could be his knight helmet (Pac 'n' Roll), one could be his old-cartoon hat, one could be Klonoa's hat and then there'd be a green hat too for the sake of team battles.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Klonoa.png

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well - he has his Butt-Bounce move, which wasn't seen until his 3D games (I believe?). My opinion is that he should be like Sonic, taking much of his moveset influence from the older games, but using his newer appearances for other aspects of his character. His roll animation for example would have his limbs temporarily disappear (a reference to Pac 'n' Roll among other games), his Bomb is technically from one of his newest games (Championship Edition was 2010 wasn't it?), and one of his taunts could be him eating a piece of fruit with a 1 in 10 chance of it being golden fruit. Plus I intentionally didn't come up with many physical attacks for Pac-Man so the blanks could be filled by more modern moves - a few of his punches, for example, could be electrically charged (Pac-Man World 3).

Also, since Pac-Man wouldn't really look right in any colour but yellow, he could have a Pikachu style hat system. One costume could be his knight helmet (Pac 'n' Roll), one could be his old-cartoon hat, one could be Klonoa's hat and then there'd be a green hat too for the sake of team battles.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Klonoa.png
Yeah i changed my post . Pacman with 2d influenced B moves and platformer A moves is cool. And i really like the golden fruit taunt thing. Does it do anything besides just for aesthetics?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
1. VGChartz is not reliable.
2. Sales don't matter.
1)VGChartz is an estimate. They do a pretty good job most of the time. But feel free to find evidence to the contrary.
2)Sales do matter to some degree. There is a reason we are getting content from Wii Fit.

Also, the point of the post was to show how Pac-man is irrelevant. He hasn't had a hit in over 11 years (and unlike other characters, he has had a stream of games). Even his few games where he broke a million were few and far between.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Also, the point of the post was to show how Pac-man is irrelevant. He hasn't had a hit in over 11 years (and unlike other characters, he has had a stream of games). Even his few games where he broke a million were few and far between.
He has a new cartoon coming up. (Not that I'm interested, but he's still has the recency/relevancy)

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_Championship_Edition_DX
Well-received, and recent. :p

CalumG

Smash Lord
1)VGChartz is an estimate. They do a pretty good job most of the time. But feel free to find evidence to the contrary.
2)Sales do matter to some degree. There is a reason we are getting content from Wii Fit.

Go out onto the street and ask somebody to name 3 video game characters. Any person on the street. Any at all. Odds are Pac-Man will come up.

His new games might not be 'relevant' to advancing the industry (although let's face it, we could argue that for 90% of Nintendo's own characters), but he's relevant in the hearts and minds of gamers and non-gamers alike, which is what counts.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Go out onto the street and ask somebody to name 3 video game characters. Any person on the street. Any at all. Odds are Pac-Man will come up.

His new games might not be 'relevant' to advancing the industry (although let's face it, we could argue that for 90% of Nintendo's own characters), but he's relevant in the hearts and minds of gamers and non-gamers alike, which is what counts.
Note that I'm saying Pac-Man is irrelevant not (thought that was clear). The numbers show that. The series has been living on it's acclaim it has made in the 80s though since then the series has been unsuccessful. Namco has made more money from other games without Pac-Man's name on them Tekken being one of them. This is likely why the Japanese have not even discussed Pac-Man in lieu of Tekken and the Tales games.

And yes, he is getting a cartoon. This is Namco trying to revive him as a mascot. it will likely fail because Pac-man isn't cool and kids will not care. Pac-Man has never been successful as a character but as a yellow pizza.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Note that I'm saying Pac-Man is irrelevant not (thought that was clear). The numbers show that. The series has been living on it's acclaim it has made in the 80s though since then the series has been unsuccessful. Namco has made more money from other games without Pac-Man's name on them Tekken being one of them. This is likely why the Japanese have not even discussed Pac-Man in lieu of Tekken and the Tales games.

And yes, he is getting a cartoon. This is Namco trying to revive him as a mascot. it will likely fail because Pac-man isn't cool and kids will not care. Pac-Man has never been successful as a character but as a yellow pizza.
See: Megaman. I'm fairly sure, although I have no sales data on Megaman 9 and 10, but I'm fairly sure the last Megaman game to break a million sales was Megaman X in 1993.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yes. It's called Sakurai wanted a character who had a ''rhythmic dance like" quality to them.

The fact that Wii Fit was a hit has absolutely nothing to do with his plucking the Trainer from it to be a fighter.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
yes, he is getting a cartoon. This is Namco trying to revive him as a mascot. it will likely fail because Pac-man isn't cool and kids will not care. Pac-Man has never been successful as a character but as a yellow pizza.
complete opinion and no fact. Pacman was cool to me in the 3d age. And kids today mostly think that nintendo isn't as good as xbox with COD. Megaman isn't even relevant anymore. At least pacman could appeal to kids of today when last i saw megaman was bad box art version in street fighter X capcom.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
complete opinion and no fact. Pacman was cool to me in the 3d age. And kids today mostly think that nintendo isn't as good as xbox with COD. Megaman isn't even relevant anymore. At least pacman could appeal to kids of today when last i saw megaman was bad box art version in street fighter X capcom.
How? Pac-Man is a yellow circle who eats things. He's not a cool character by any stretch. I don't think anyone thought the cartoon or it's game did well. His last game, Pac-Man party, flopped.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't get people who like to post things just to spread negativity.

Why you putting that toxin out there? It's cool if you want to say you don't support something, but to derail a support thread is just. I have no words for it.

CalumG

Smash Lord
How? Pac-Man is a yellow circle who eats things. He's not a cool character by any stretch. I don't think anyone thought the cartoon or it's game did well. His last game, Pac-Man party, flopped.
But what relevance does this even have to this thread? How did this 'cool' discussion come about in the first place? I don't think any character so far has ever gotten in on being 'cool' - partly for the fact that 'cool' isn't something quantifiable that can be measured per character, and partly for the fact that, in the eyes of many, there are no cool Nintendo characters. That's not an opinion I hold of course, but 'cool' has not been a contributing factor for previous Smash games and won't be for this game either.

Or at least, if they're trying to be 'cool' with their character inclusions, they didn't exactly go in the right direction by including Wii Fit Trainer and Villager.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Cool is subjective anyways.

It's an opinion.

Decisions when it comes to a business in the industry of entertainment are seldom made on opinion, but facts.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Woah man. Woah. no no no
Power ups. And even without them, he's a cool yellow thing that eats. Besides, Mario is a fat italian plumber with a mustache. That just screams cool af huh? It's all in the eye of the beholder. I for one, think Pacman is cool as hell. And his new show could be better, but he's still cool in it. He's pacman. I can sit through it. And I'll definantly be getting his wii u entry when it comes out. I hope it's a full GAME though and not some bull**** game for a show like say madagascar 2 the game or whatever. What I mean is I hope they try to make a good Pacman game and not a Pacman and the Ghostly adventures: The Game, even though that's essentially what it;s called.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm not really seeing why supposed irrelevance to modern gaming is even a good criterion for excluding a character. A good chunk of the current roster is irrelevant to modern gaming. I don't want Pac-Man because he's relevant to modern gaming; I want him because he's relevant to the history of video games and is a notable character in the medium's timeline. That's not to say I think he's irrelevant to modern gaming. Rather, I think that he is very relevant to modern gaming, because a lot of what is standard for the industry now is at least partially influenced by the features his original arcade game pioneered. I'd instead opt to say that Pac-Man is no longer important to gaming at this time or for the foreseeable future, which is a bit different. He'll always be relevant to gaming in my eyes, just not always in the context of a contemporary time frame, but rather, as a whole.

If that weren't enough to include him, I could still say I like the character and don't really think he's all that boring, and I certainly wouldn't say he's "uncool". Perhaps not exactly cool, but hey, I don't consider most of my favorite Smash Bros. characters to be "cool".

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I'm so psyched for Pacman now, and it's all you guys faults. Thank you lol The amount and quality of discussion in this thread lately is making me tingly.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm so psyched for Pacman now, and it's all you guys faults. Thank you lol The amount and quality of discussion in this thread lately is making me tingly.
Calm down, bruddah. He's not guaranteed by any means. Don't want you to expect something so much that you get majorly disappointed if it doesn't turn out as you wanted.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
When it comes to discussions over what's cool, it's actually more along the lines of impressions leading to desires. An impression can mean the difference between loathing and loving, and it not only applies to Super Smash Bros. but practically anything out there. In order for something to work, you need to leave positive impressions. If you leave negative impressions, things will go south fast.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well lets get back on track shall we (even though all of this could of been avoided if someone didnt come to a pacman SUPPORT forum to spread hatred) i would love to see movsets from everyone for pacman to contribute to the forum.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Calm down, bruddah. He's not guaranteed by any means. Don't want you to expect something so much that you get majorly disappointed if it doesn't turn out as you wanted.
I know man, It's just before hand I actually thought he had no chance at all. And now I know that's not totally true.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
As far as "relevance" and "sales" and all that jazz goes...

Pac-Man games are still popular. Remember when Google turned their logo into a game of Pac-Man for his 30th birthday a couple of years ago? From what I remember, LOTS of workplaces had to block Google on their networks because every time someone went to do a search, they ended up playing Pac-Man instead and getting no work done. Maybe no one goes out of their way to BUY Pac-Man games anymore, but as soon as he's put right in front of you, you immediately remember how great that game is and get lost in it. I guess what I'm saying is that Pac-Man is largely taken for granted as a character, and sometimes people need to be reminded why he's great.

And if Pac-Man doesn't get into Smash... can we at least have Pac-Man Vs. 2 on the WiiU? PLEEEEEASE, Nintendo?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The OP doesn't have a list of counter-points for arguments against Pac-Man's inclusion. For such a controversial character, I think that's a bit unwise. Would anyone be interested in my attempting to construct such a list of counter-points?

CalumG

Smash Lord
The OP doesn't have a list of counter-points for arguments against Pac-Man's inclusion. For such a controversial character, I think that's a bit unwise. Would anyone be interested in my attempting to construct such a list of counter-points?
Controversial? How is he controversial? The only "controversy" to Pac-Man is that he's been in games of very questionable quality since the early 90s - in which case, Sonic and Megaman are equally controversial characters.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I agree with calum. How is he controversial besides his mixed reviewed 90s games. All the other complaints against him are idiotic and just whining like "pacman is boring" or "lloyd can cut pacman in half".

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, obviously he's not controversial in the same way someone like Bayonetta is. What I mean by saying he's controversial is that he's hotly debated as a newcomer candidate. There are a lot of arguments people make against him, more so than a lot of other characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Pac-Man has a ton of detractors though. Putting up a counter-argument section will be useful.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I can get on-board with somebody making a list of "negatives" to Pac-Man's inclusion... if only to prove how many of them are based in opinion and severely lacking in facts. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Just added possibly the greatest Pac-Man support post to the end of the OP, huge thanks to BridgesWithTurtles. Go read it, seriously, it's great!

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Loving the Ghostly Adventures TV Series. Anyway, just because my only PAC-MAN Game is PAC Man World 2, he has a ton of moves that could be incorporated. Like the down aerial, as long as you hit the button, you could Butt Bounce indefinitely. His Side/Down special could be Rev Rolling, and maybe his up special could be him flying while eating dots. I fully support Pacums(PINKY!!!!!!! Pinky: Sorry), but his chances aren't the highest in the world.

Top Bottom