• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I'm sure Sakurai new about the game a head of time cause the show has been in the works since 2010,I do like the Party/Tilt/World versions the best,But Sakurai will probable use Pac-Mans Ghostly Adventures Model for Smash 4.

I like the (D) most.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I think Pac-Man looks the worst when he doesnt have a nose. im used to him having one so it would be weirder if it was all of a sudden missing

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Out of all of these... I like D. Without the nose. He's kind of charming that way... but it looks like they went with A. Creepy, creepy A.

So... are people expecting Pac-man to get a tongue attack now? :p

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Mannn, Pac-man would have been the perfect time to use cel shading, too... I do like how the styles are like "Generic 3D, Generic Power Puff Girl, Generic Anime, and finally Simple, Cool and Stylized".

Of course they can't pick the one that's interesting and different. I remember voting for that style when they were first shown. For the life of me, I can't find the poll's results... does anyone know if they ever actually released the results?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Y'know, I think Namco ought to stop trying to "modernize" Pac-Man (it's a gripe I have with many classic characters, but hear me out). Let's face it; Pac's retro games are what people like, remember, and care about (hey, I personally love the World games, but I'm just being honest). They should play off of that. I'm not saying they shouldn't make a game not set in a maze, but instead of making him live in a futuristic city, why not play off of that retro nostalgia and make Pac-Man's world one big retro land? If anyone's seen the short-lived animated series "Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?", you'll instantly know what I'm talking about. The show was one giant throwback to the 80s, with big TVs, 80s fashions, and even an art style that mimicked low-budget 80s animation. Pac-Man could do the same thing. Instead of that new pink (purple?) girl character wearing hipster glasses and buckled boots, she could have leg warmers and frizzy hair that looks like it's composed of pixels or something crazy like that. Give the games a "retraux" aesthetic that appeals to the retro-nostalgic market. It'd probably interest fans who know the arcade game more than a generic Mario Party clone would. Right now, Pac-Man looks like a rejected Pixar film, but it's not going to be Pixar. If they're going to reinvent Pac-Man, they should do it in a unique way that gives the character impact again, not just copy whatever's the norm at the time. If they do that, the franchise will just continue to be drowned among the sea of the status quo.

I suppose it doesn't matter though, since the franchise still rakes in tons of cash for Namco from cell phone sales alone. That's just my suggestion for solving the problem of the character's perceived irrelevancy (which appears to be one of the arguments used against his inclusion in Smash Bros).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Y'know, I think Namco ought to stop trying to "modernize" Pac-Man (it's a gripe I have with many classic characters, but hear me out). Let's face it; Pac's retro games are what people like, remember, and care about (hey, I personally love the World games, but I'm just being honest). They should play off of that. I'm not saying they shouldn't make a game not set in a maze, but instead of making him live in a futuristic city, why not play off of that retro nostalgia and make Pac-Man's world one big retro land? If anyone's seen the short-lived animated series "Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?", you'll instantly know what I'm talking about. The show was one giant throwback to the 80s, with big TVs, 80s fashions, and even an art style that mimicked low-budget 80s animation. Pac-Man could do the same thing. Instead of that new pink (purple?) girl character wearing hipster glasses and buckled boots, she could have leg warmers and frizzy hair that looks like it's composed of pixels or something crazy like that. Give the games a "retraux" aesthetic that appeals to the retro-nostalgic market. It'd probably interest fans who know the arcade game more than a generic Mario Party clone would. Right now, Pac-Man looks like a rejected Pixar film, but it's not going to be Pixar. If they're going to reinvent Pac-Man, they should do it in a unique way that gives the character impact again, not just copy whatever's the norm at the time. If they do that, the franchise will just continue to be drowned among the sea of the status quo.

I suppose it doesn't matter though, since the franchise still rakes in tons of cash for Namco from cell phone sales alone. That's just my suggestion for solving the problem of the character's perceived irrelevancy (which appears to be one of the arguments used against his inclusion in Smash Bros).
Sure, they're already making a nice chunk of change from mobile games, but they could always be making more money if they made modern games that people actually want to purchase. The mobile games could be good advertising for their higher budget games. I wonder if the Ghostly Adventures game will at least play well... I mean, I won't purchase it and nobody I know will either, but I'm still curious.

I do think it's kind of hard to work off of a character that looks like a giant cheese wheel for modern games, though. This whole thing makes me wonder how they'd re-redesign the Dig Dug series for a modern revival.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Sure, they're already making a nice chunk of change from mobile games, but they could always be making more money if they made modern games that people actually want to purchase. The mobile games could be good advertising for their higher budget games. I wonder if the Ghostly Adventures game will at least play well... I mean, I won't purchase it and nobody I know will either, but I'm still curious.

I do think it's kind of hard to work off of a character that looks like a giant cheese wheel for modern games, though. This whole thing makes me wonder how they'd re-redesign the Dig Dug series for a modern revival.
His NamcoXCapcom design bro

[collapse/]
making Taizo look like a BAMF

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
For got his design from,Street Fighter x Tekken.He don't look to bad...

I think Ghostly Adventures will play well,I plan purchase it looks like it will be funn.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I could imagine Namco pushing for his appearance to promote his upcoming 3d series but unlike PS All Stars where the devs were at the mercy of the licencees (that's why there's no original Dante DLC) it's Sakurai's choice in the end.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
For got his design from,Street Fighter x Tekken.He don't look to bad...

I think Ghostly Adventures will play well,I plan purchase it looks like it will be funn.
Let's ignore the creepy face he makes when fighting Mega Man and how he has a "**** face" on permanently through out that game.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah... I'm starting to think that Namco just thinks it's hilarious to take their most iconic character and make him seem sinister. I'll admit, it's actually pretty funny. I guess it's the same as Capcom putting their effort into making the Mega Man of Street Fight x Tekken as dumb as possible. It's all kind of a slap in the face of the players.

Not sure it's great business sense, sure, but it's funny. Sort of.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I could imagine Namco pushing for his appearance to promote his upcoming 3d series but unlike PS All Stars where the devs were at the mercy of the licencees (that's why there's no original Dante DLC) it's Sakurai's choice in the end.
That makes me think Pac-Man has a better chance because to me, Pac-Man fits Sakurai's personality mroe than any other Namco reps.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I agree I was going to say the same thing,Him getting in would help promote his new game and Tv show.

volbound1700- That makes me think Pac-Man has a better chance because to me, Pac-Man fits Sakurai's personality mroe than any other Namco reps.
It does give him more of a chance I do think he fits Sakurai's demand more so than other Namco reps.

qdMbp Yeah... I'm starting to think that Namco just thinks it's hilarious to take their most iconic character and make him seem sinister. I'll admit, it's actually pretty funny. I guess it's the same as Capcom putting their effort into making the Mega Man of Street Fight x Tekken as dumb as possible. It's all kind of a slap in the face of the players.

Not sure it's great business sense, sure, but it's funny. Sort of.
Lets hope they don't make him look so sinister in smash 4,He does look funny in Street Fight x Tekken tho.

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man: Prepare your anus.
Bad Box Art Mega Man: 0_0; *gulp*

D

Deleted member

Now we know what happened to Mega Man. Capcom didn't kill him; Pac-Man did. :troll:
Bad Box Art was the last hope against the Yellow Menace. He failed.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm sure Sakurai new about the game a head of time cause the show has been in the works since 2010,I do like the Party/Tilt/World versions the best,But Sakurai will probable use Pac-Mans Ghostly Adventures Model for Smash 4.

I like the (D) most.

I actually hate D). It looks like something out of an edgar allen poe book or a cartoon coralline

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hmm, I wonder if Pac-man will end up looking super serious like the other Brawlers? I might actually feel better about his design if he drops the grin and just looks determined to kick some butt.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Hmm, I wonder if Pac-man will end up looking super serious like the other Brawlers? I might actually feel better about his design if he drops the grin and just looks determined to kick some butt.
I doubt it. They TRIED to make him keep his goofy look in SFXT. Especially when that game has a crap ton of serious characters. (Kazuya, M. Bison, Jin, etc.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
BTW, has anyone considered the possibility of the ghosts being a part of his moveset?

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I think Pac-Man will end up looking serious with a touch of goofy mabe. I doubt they will drop that famous grin of his.

FalKoopa BTW, has anyone considered the possibility of the ghosts being a part of his moveset?
I was thinking mabe they could end up being apart of his moveset..But would the ghosts be better off as assist trophies?.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Trophies:

1. Pac-Man doing his thumbs up pose
2. Power pellet (Final Smash)
3. Pac-Man's two new friends from the cartoon
4. Arcade machine
5. The Ghosts
6. Ms. Pac-Man
7. 8-Bit Pac-Man

Third parties never had a lot of trophies if you look at Snake and Sonic's trophies in Brawl.
Alternatively, they could consider all of the old Namco arcade classics as part of the Pac-Man "series". They're associated with one another all the time anyway. You could have trophies of the ship from Galaga and/or Galaxian, Mappy, Taizo Hori, etc.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Alternatively, they could consider all of the old Namco arcade classics as part of the Pac-Man "series". They're associated with one another all the time anyway. You could have trophies of the ship from Galaga and/or Galaxian, Mappy, Taizo Hori, etc.
True. But i don't expect a lot of trophies outside of Pac-Man's actual franchise. But if they do add other franchises as part of his trophies, Taizo hori, Mr. Driller, The Prince from katamari, Bugs from galaga, Ridge Racer car, and a Pooka from Dig Dug would definitely be part of it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
True. But i don't expect a lot of trophies outside of Pac-Man's actual franchise. But if they do add other franchises as part of his trophies, Taizo hori, Mr. Driller, The Prince from katamari, Bugs from galaga, Ridge Racer car, and a Pooka from Dig Dug would definitely be part of it.
Professor Pac should also be a trophy considering he had a game named after him, and he's like pac-man's mentor (in the world series at least)

Top Bottom