• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Other than Namco-Bandai helping to make the game, and Pac-Man appearing in a Mario Kart arcade game (Which I have played), can anyone give a good, direct argument for his inclusion?

Come now, let's debate like civilized men! *Pounds Gavel*

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Is everyone against the electro shock? XD Geez, you put one move and everyone says its not iconic. Neither was bowser side B but I just wanted a projectile. As it already said, a pellet toss would also be cool, but not as an entire moveset. He has SO much more moveset potential. Just check goldenyamitsu's post on possible moves for pacman from his games.
I think we could get a handle of it. Especially how simple Olimar's moveset involved and relied on Pikmin. You could only throw them, call them back, use them for attacks, and for recoveries. (That's where I got the inspiration from my move set) He's like a complicated Olimar, so it gets to the point to where it makes sense for him to be an unlockable character for another reason.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Surely you will not fall to flaming and baseless conjecture? XD.

Ok, seriously, who has a REALLY good reason?
Pac-Man being among the most iconic video game characters in the world is pretty significant. It's not common for just any game to reach that level of recognition. He's also Namco's mascot, so if we just want to argue his validity against other Namco possibilities, adding another representative from the company would have been like Sega adding someone other than Sonic.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I should ask Pac-Man supporters if they would prefer the 8-bit 2D appearance (like Mr. Game & Watch) or his 3D version.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Pac-Man being among the most iconic video game characters in the world is pretty significant. It's not common for just any game to reach that level of recognition. He's also Namco's mascot, so if we just want to argue his validity against other Namco possibilities, adding another representative from the company would have been like Sega adding someone other than Sonic.
Alright I'll buy that.

D

Deleted member

Well, I should ask Pac-Man supporters if they would prefer the 8-bit 2D appearance (like Mr. Game & Watch) or his 3D version.
The "3D Version" isn't exclusive to Pac-Man World, you know.
That design originally came from the Japanese arcade cabinet of the original game.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I assume you would have to draw from the 3D version since the 2D version would not fit in the game properly. However, I believe the character via moveset and look should try to reference his 2D era if possible.

I have never played 3D Pac-Man games so I am not the best to comment on this issue.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's funny how Pac Man fans always had complained about the voices he had. They thought his Pac Man World 3 voice was awful and needed to sound more like Felix the Cat. Now, they think Pac Man Party's rendition of his voice is awful and needs to sound more deep. Honestly, he should have his current voice in SSB4 because it suits him well moreso than PMW3's Saturday Morning voice. :troll:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
It's funny how Pac Man fans always had complained about the voices he had. They thought his Pac Man World 3 voice was awful and needed to sound more like Felix the Cat. Now, they think Pac Man Party's rendition of his voice is awful and needs to sound more deep. Honestly, he should have his current voice in SSB4 because it suits him well moreso than PMW3's Saturday Morning voice. :troll:
Honestly I want the pacman world 3 voice because he actually sounds his age in that one, just make it not so casual.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I think we could get a handle of it. Especially how simple Olimar's moveset involved and relied on Pikmin. You could only throw them, call them back, use them for attacks, and for recoveries. (That's where I got the inspiration from my move set) He's like a complicated Olimar, so it gets to the point to where it makes sense for him to be an unlockable character for another reason.
I knew that was the inspiration, but the pellets aren't living things and I don't want him to have a moveset to someone from an entirely different game like captain falcon and ganondorf

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know those pellets that Pac-Man shoots out of his hands? What if he can use them the way Geno uses his Finger Shot move in Super Mario RPG?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
@Arcadenik I don't think that would work.

Also, a move set that I thought could work for Pac-Man. This took some brainstorming.
*Moveset is subject to change.

PAC-MAN

Pac-Man is a heavy medium-sized character, his attributes are the same as you would see him in Pac-Man World 3. He can wall jump, but he is not very fast, he slightly slightly slower than Mario. In order to gain speed, Pac-Man has to rely on throwing pellets to get a quick dash attack. His recovery is unique due to the fact it requires pellets to get to the edge of the stage. It takes some time getting used to, but once you start mentally throwing pellets, you be able to make some unique back attacks. One unpredictable example is that Pac-Man has the chance to use Up-B if both players are at least closer to the path of the pellets. His aerials are pretty powerful too, though D-Air can be risky.

Standard Attacks:

AAA: Pac-Man combos three times like in Pac-Man World 3. His final hit has good knock back.

A-Side: Pac-Man makes a slightly big, straightforward punch. This has weak knock back.

A-Dash: Pac-Man dash chomps to the opponent. Similar to Dedede's dash attack. Has great knock back.

A-Down: Pac-Man sweeps. Has weak knockback.

A-Up: Pac-Man twirl kicks upwards. Multihits, has good knockback.

Forward Smash: Like his A-Side, only stronger and better knock back.

Up Smash: Pac-Man kicks upward like Kirby's Up Smash. Has good knock back.

Down Smash: Pac-Man sweeps kick all the way 360. Has great knock back.

Aerials:

Neutral Air: Pac-Man swings around a small pole to attack both sides. Has weak knock back.

F-Air: Pac-Man chomps forward and rolls in the air.. Has the same delay as Mario's. Has great knock back.

Back-Air: Same as F-Air: only backwards.

D-Air: Pac-Man does the buttbounces like in Pac-Man World 3. Has 100% chance of meteor smash if hit.

U-Air: Pac-Man kicks upward. Has weak knockback.

Grabs:

Side Grab: Pac-Man tosses the opponent straight forward. Has good throwback.

Down Grab: Pac-Man throws the opponent in the ground and dive-chomps the opponent. Has great knock back, but escapable.

Up Grab: Pac-Man tosses the opponent up in the air.

Back-Grab: Pac-Man seismic tosses the opponents to the ground, (like Kirby's Back-grab).

Special Moves:

B- Pellet Plant: Pac-Man plants a pellet in the air immobile. Pac-Man can place up to ten of these pellets around the stage. These pellets will be used for his other special moves. Hold the B-Button, to plant more pellets in the air while still. He can still plant pellets when knocked back. The pellets, however have a life bar, and can only survive up to two hits.

B-Up- Pac-Trail: Pac-Man follows the pellets he planted in the air. This allows for some interesting strategies for Pac-Man to do. For example, if he were to create a swirly pattern of pellets he would follow the pellets in the whirly fashion. He follows the pellets that are near him. If Pac-Man doesn't have a pellet near him in a certain distance, he will fall helplessly.

B-Side- Pac-Pellet Row Throw: Pac-Man throws five pellets in a straight line in any direction to make a straight row of pellets. This allows for some rush recoveries, or maybe some immediate attacks. Does multi-damage 5%, but very weak knock back.

B-Down- Pac-Magnet: Pac-Man whistles to collect pellets he planted that are near him. This allows for some replanning.

Final Smash: Power-Pellet:
Pac-Man eats a power pellet that makes him grow three times more his size. The opponents turn blue and changes their face into the face of a blue ghost. The background turns into a Pac-Maze. He is still slow when using this final Smash, and it only last 15 seconds.

Taunts:

U-Taunt: Pac-Man tosses a few pellets and chomps it.

Side-Taunt: Pac-Man dreams of him in the 8-bit days, showing a scene of Pac-Man eating Blinky.

Down-Taunt: Pac-Man meditates like in Pac-Man World 3 where you could be able to change into Blinky or Pinky.

Victory Themes:

VIctory 1: Pac-Man does an air punch and jumps in the air, but then sees a path of pellets. Pac-Man then follows it.

Victory 2: Pac-Man gives a thumbs up and says, "I ate up the competition."

Victory 3: Pac-Man runs away from the four ghosts in circles until he slips. The four ghosts escape after that.

Lose: Pac-Man claps. (lol)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Sonic's announcement nearly coincided with the release of the first Mario/Sonic Olympics game, so if we use that example as a precedent, then that may be good news for Pac-Man.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Pac-Man... interesting move set ideas.
See mine just in case you didn't see it in past comments.
Pac-Man
Speed: 7/10
Power: 8/10
Traction: 10/10
Weight: 6/10
Can also wall Jump
First jump is similar to up smash, and second jump is the magic boots from pac land

B-Pellet Gun - Pac-Man shoots pac-dots at the opponent at fast speeds. It you charge It for 3 seconds it becomes a Fruit and does high damage and knockback. 6-20% damage. From Pac-in-Time

Side B: Rev Roll- Pac-Man charges up a run in place and like Ike's side B, you are fully charged after about 3 seconds and you roll into the opponent after you release B. Has decent knockback like Ike's side B. But, like in pacman world 2 opponents running at pac-man while Pac-Man rolls toward them, is not only blasted away with high knock back, but dazed for 3 seconds as if they were hit with a deku nut. (Does 17% if fully charged.) From Pac-Man world 2

Down B: Butt Bounce- Pac-Man jumps up and bounces back down with his...Butt. Can be use 3 times in a row after the first bounce. Meteor smashes in mid-air, 3rd hit pushes opponent away like toon link's d-air. Can be moved side to side across the whole stage. (1st hit does 9%, 2nd does 10%, and 3rd does 13%. ) From Pac-Man world 2

Up B: Red Pac-Dot- Pac-Man throws out a red pac dot and eats it. When he does a line of pac-dots form in mid air. You can control where the pac-dots turn. It can also latch onto the stage. Pac-Man eats the dots as fast as a fire fox's speed. Opponents can be hurt if they touch Pac-Man's mouth while eating. From Pac-Man world 2

Forward smash- Chomp: I believe this should be his smash instead of B move so hat way, we keep the iconic chomp, and give Pac-Man a useful projectile. also, it protects from having to give him a boring punch. (15% uncharged 30% fully charged.) very high knockback. From original pac-man

Up Smash- Uppercut:

do I even need words to explain this iconic jump? jumps up like Sonic's up-smash but does an uppercut instead. (12% uncharged 22% fully charged.) average knockback. from world series

Down Smash-Pellet Wave: This was hard, but I finally got it. Pac-Man hits the ground and a small circle of pellets waves around him that do damage on contact. It might sound lame,(or creative in my eyes) but it was hard to make. cut me some slack. ;) (14% uncharged 18% fully charged.) average knockback. From...my imagination

AAA: Pac-man throws a left hook, right hook, then a jab that sends out a small shock wave in front of him. (4%, 6%, then 9%.)
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFMBujNRfs 5:12 - 5:15. From Pac-Man world 3

U-air: Pac-Man does a flip kick with skates on and does slicing damage, like a blade. (does 12%)From Pac-man world 2.

D-air: Pac-Man does a swinging punch underneath him, like marth's down air only with a fist instead of blade. (does 13%) Meteor smashes.

F-air- Pac-man takes both fists and smashez opponents. Acts like ike's(it doesn't meteor smash) 11% damage.

B-air - Pac-man does a backwards roundhouse kick like fox. (10% damage)

N-air - pac-man spins around in a circle and hurts opponents. I lost ideas for this one XD. (does 6% on first hit, 1% on any other frame but the first.)

Z- air - pac man uses his grapple from the old pac-in-time game. Only the tip does damage (5%)

F-tilt - pac man does a simple front kick (7%)

U-tilt.- pac man does a small headbutt upwards. Can juggle. ( 8%)

D-tilt - pacman does two floor kicks.( 4% first, 3% second)

F- throw - pacman throws opponent up and elbows them forward. (does 9%)

D-throw- pacman throws opponent down and hammers thwm with his hammer from pac-in-time. (does 12 damage) does no knockback like mr.g&w's down throw.

U-throw - pacman throws opponent up and flip kicks them (8% damage)

B-throw- pacman tosses opponent in a backwards overhead toss then shoots them with pellet gun (10% damage)

Up- taunt - pacman looks around amazed like the pac man world 2 idle animation

Down taunt- pacman's eyes turn to x's and he spins around and fall. Pacman death music plays. Death animation in the world series.

Side-taunt- pacman throws and kicks a pac dot around like a soccer ball then eats it. From pacman world series.

Star KO animation: pac-man has eyes like in his down taunt and the pac-man death animation plays.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
See mine just in case you didn't see it in past comments.

B-Pellet Toss - Pac-Man throws pac-dots at the opponent at fast speeds. very rarely It will be a Fruit and do high damage and knockback. 6-24% damage. From pac-man world
Side B: Rev Roll- Pac-Man charges up a run in place and like Ike's side B, you are fully charged after about 3 seconds and you roll into the opponent after you release B. Has decent knockback like Ike's side B. But, like in pacman world 2 opponents running at pac-man while Pac-Man rolls toward them, is not only blasted away with high knock back, but dazed for 3 seconds as if they were hit with a deku nut. (Does 17% if fully charged.) From Pac-Man world 2

Down B: Butt Bounce- Pac-Man jumps up and bounces back down with his...Butt. Can be use 3 times in a row after the first bounce. Meteor smashes in mid-air, 3rd hit pushes opponent away like toon link's d-air. Can be moved side to side across the whole stage. (1st hit does 9%, 2nd does 10%, and 3rd does 13%. ) From Pac-Man world 2

Up B: Red Pac-Dot- Pac-Man throws out a red pac dot and eats it. When he does a line of pac-dots form in mid air. You can control where the pac-dots turn. It can also latch onto the stage. Pac-Man eats the dots as fast as a fire fox's speed. Opponents can be hurt if they touch Pac-Man's mouth while eating. From Pac-Man world 2

Forward smash- Chomp: I believe this should be his smash instead of B move so hat way, we keep the iconic chomp, and give Pac-Man a useful projectile. also, it protects from having to give him a boring punch. (15% uncharged 30% fully charged.) very high knockback. From original pac-man

Up Smash- Uppercut:

do I even need words to explain this iconic jump? jumps up like Sonic's up-smash but does an uppercut instead. (12% uncharged 22% fully charged.) average knockback. from world series

Down Smash-Pellet Wave: This was hard, but I finally got it. Pac-Man hits the ground and a small circle of pellets waves around him that do damage on contact. It might sound lame,(or creative in my eyes) but it was hard to make. cut me some slack. ;) (14% uncharged 18% fully charged.) average knockback. From...my imagination

AAA: Pac-man throws a left hook, right hook, then a jab that sends out a small shock wave in front of him. (4%, 6%, then 9%.)
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFMBujNRfs 5:12 - 5:15. From Pac-Man world 3

U-air: Pac-Man does a flip kick with skates on and does slicing damage, like a blade. (does 12%)From Pac-man world 2.

D-air: Pac-Man does a swinging punch underneath him, like marth's down air only with a fist instead of blade. (does 13%) Meteor smashes.

F-air- Pac-man takes both fists and smashez opponents. Acts like ike's(it doesn't meteor smash) 11% damage.

B-air - Pac-man does a backwards roundhouse kick like fox. (10% damage)

N-air - pac-man spins around in a circle and hurts opponents. I lost ideas for this one XD. (does 6% on first hit, 1% on any other frame but the first.)

Z- air - pac man uses his grapple from the old pac-in-time game. Only the tip does damage (5%)

F-tilt - pac man does a simple front kick (7%)

U-tilt.- pac man does a small headbutt upwards. Can juggle. ( 8%)

D-tilt - pacman does two floor kicks.( 4% first, 3% second)

F- throw - pacman throws opponent up and elbows them forward. (does 9%)

D-throw- pacman throws opponent down and hammers thwm with his hammer from pac-in-time. (does 12 damage) does no knockback like mr.g&w's down throw.

U-throw - pacman throws opponent up and flip kicks them (8% damage)

B-throw- pacman tosses opponent in a backwards overhead toss (10% damage)

up- taunt - pacman looks around amazed like the pac man world 2 idle animation

Down taunt- pacman's eyes turn to x's and he spins around and fall. Pacman death music plays. Death animation in the world series.

Side-taunt- pacman throws and kicks a pac dot around like a soccer ball then eats it. From pacman world series.
Very extensive. I like it when fans go to this length to make movesets. I'm convinced that Pac-Man has some very loyal fans! :)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Frankly I want both of them in so we can have a REAL Pac-Man vs Mega Man fight instead of the Lard-Ass vs Training Dummy fight Street Fighter X Tekken gave us.

(I like Bad Boxart Mega Man as a joke but it was ill timed.)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Frankly I want both of them in so we can have a REAL Pac-Man vs Mega Man fight instead of the Lard-*** vs Training Dummy fight Street Fighter X Tekken gave us.

(I like Bad Boxart Mega Man as a joke but it was ill timed.)
I think I realized why Sakurai likes to keep 3rd parties to three only. Maybe it doesn't want to be classified as a third party fighter when the players see Snake, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man fighting in a match at Shadow Moses Island.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think I realized why Sakurai likes to keep 3rd parties to three only. Maybe it doesn't want to be classified as a third party fighter when the players see Snake, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man fighting in a match at Shadow Moses Island.
You could always do 4 Sonics at Green Hill Zone :)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
>Implying you can't pit Sonic and Snake only on Shadow Moses Island or Green Hill Zone with no items.

And where's the source that Sakurai likes to keep 3rd parties to three only? I'd like to know where and when Sakurai said that...

The closest Sakurai said is that, in Brawl, he would add up to two third parties after Snake. In fact, Sakurai hinted that there is the possibility that he wouldn't put third party characters this time.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If i remember correctly, Sakurai said that the most would probably be three during the Brawl days. However, i see him raising that to four now. One reason being that he said that a Capcom character is possible and the other reason being Namco Bandai's involvement.

volbound1700

Smash Master
>Implying you can't pit Sonic and Snake only on Shadow Moses Island or Green Hill Zone with no items.

And where's the source that Sakurai likes to keep 3rd parties to three only? I'd like to know where and when Sakurai said that...

The closest Sakurai said is that, in Brawl, he would add up to two third parties after Snake. In fact, Sakurai hinted that there is the possibility that he wouldn't put third party characters this time.

Source for that? I have never heard that until now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Source for that? I have never heard that until now.
It was one of his interviews stating he wouldn't add characters "willy-nilly."

He stated how difficult was to introduce 3rd party characters to Smash. (Likely due to licensing issues.)

I interpreted that as a possibility that there wouldn't be any third party characters.

volbound1700

Smash Master

He stated how difficult was to introduce 3rd party characters to Smash. (Likely due to licensing issues.)

I interpreted that as a possibility that there wouldn't be any third party characters.

That is a bold interpretation. My interpretation of that statement is that he doesn't want us to get our hopes up for a lot of third parties and that it isn't easy to add them because of legal reasons. He cannot add every character in the book that people want to add. It says nothing about how many will be added, etc. Any company would say that about any game, it isn't easy to bring companies together to form partnerships for games.

He also started out that entire paragraph (there was more to it) talking about the joy and success of adding Snake and Sonic to Brawl. That furthers my point, it is like saying "He we had a lot of success for third parties but don't expect us to grab every big character in the book." I mean you have fans wanting Masterchief and that would be near an impossibility.

D

Deleted member

Frostwraith said:

It is possible that third-parties don't return, but if we're going to use any evidence against it, this is a really bad one to use.

That same interview was where he commented very positively on Snake and Sonic, indicating that he thinks that third-parties work if done right. As for not adding guests willy-nilly, Sakurai saying "narrow down" doesn't indicate that he's not adding third-parties so much as he wants to make it clear that only a very few precious spots will be open if third-parties return.

volbound1700

Smash Master
@ Super Smash Bros Fan. -

I even see another way on translating it. He could just be simply stating how hard it is or was to add these characters but that it was worth it. Wily nilly can come to mean spurr of the moment or off hand.

I mean it is even sometimes hard to add 1st party as you have to get the teams involved ahead of the time and third party is even harder because you need to get the content, graphics, music, etc. Sakurai had to reach out to the Sonic team and work with them which caused the delays.

However, this entire conversation may not even be addressing the number of third party characters. Like all Sakurai quotes it is very vague and can be read in many different ways.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I may get flamed for this post but I will say that I feel there is evidence of Pac-Man being in Smashed based on a comment by Miyamoto.

Before Brawl, Miyamoto made a comment about Sonic stating that "Sonic the Hedgehog would be a great addition to Smash." or something to that affect. It was several months after that we got the trailer and announcement on Dojo.

Miyamoto has recently stated something of the affect that "Pac-Man is his favorite all-time video game character."

To some this maybe a coincidence and not related but it is worth noting to me.

Top Bottom