• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There is a popularity/likeability for people that played his games during his height. The problem is as I stated above most of those people are in their 30 and 40s now and Smash Brothers really doesn't appeal as much to that age demograph.
So basically Pac-man isn't a popular choice for Smash. Why would Sakurai try to please that demographic which wouldn't buy the game after all?

However, I do agree that he has lost some of his influence in the modern era but then again so has a lot of characters in Smash.
Be more specific. Why characters are you talking about?

volbound1700

Smash Master
N3on your same argument could be made to remove the following list of characters from Smash:

ROB
Ice Climbers
Pit - pre-Brawl
Ness
Captain Falcon
Sheik
Mr Game & Watch
Marth - pre-Melee
Roy - pre-Melee
Jigglypuff

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
N3on your same argument could be made to remove the following list of characters from Smash:

ROB
Ice Climbers
Pit - pre-Brawl
Ness
Captain Falcon
Sheik
Mr Game & Watch
Marth - pre-Melee
Roy - pre-Melee
Jigglypuff
Nearly all of them are more popular choices than Pac-Man. lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Except third-parties and retros don't have the same prerequisites to get in, even if they are retro third-parties. If every character had to pass the same standards and conditions for inclusion, several wouldn't have made it in. Retros don't need popularity to get in, but it helps. Like with Pit. (and Pac-Man doesn't need popularity either for Smash, but he would if Namco wasn't involved).

And it's different once the character is already included. Yeah, now Ness, Sheik, Roy, Jigglypuff, and probably Captain Falcon would have very little to no chance, but at their time of inclusion, apart from Roy and Captain Falcon (who only got in due to being similar to the prototype), they all had pretty high popularity/demand (in Japan at least, where Sakurai primarily looks for popularity). Pre-Melee Marth was the most requested and popular lord, even though his games weren't the most recent. If Pac-Man is included, I don't expect he'll be removed in the future either, even without Namco working on it (unless Sakurai does indeed scrap returning third-parties each game).

All the characters who have been included have had a reason for inclusion, but it wasn't always the same reason. If Pac-Man makes it in, it won't be due to current popularity.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nearly all of them are more popular choices than Pac-Man. lol
I'm guessing where you live Pac Man isn't popular, but he is here. He does have fans, and merchandise, and a legacy. Not to mention being in the top 25 of shorties polls

They sell Pac Man shirts at friggin Walmart

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Popularity in general doesn't necessarily equal popularity for Smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm guessing where you live Pac Man isn't popular, but he is here. He does have fans, and merchandise, and a legacy. Not to mention being in the top 25 of shorties polls

Pac-man is well known here, and for that matter, everywhere. But yeah, he isn't popular.

I will wait for Shortie's post-E3 poll before making any further comments on his popularity, if he isn't revealed at E3.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not saying he's a better choice than Mega Man here. But if there is anyone that would be a good option for a 3rd choice after Sonic and Mega Man, it would be Pac Man

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not saying he's a better choice than Mega Man here. But if there is anyone that would be a good option for a 3rd choice after Sonic and Mega Man, it would be Pac Man
Ehh, that's a little subjective. He's not a bad choice by any means, and he's Namco's best choice, definitely, but after Sonic and Mega Man there is quite a large gap, and tbh there are several 3rd parties that would be good choices afterwards. I suppose Pac-Man could be one of them, but I personally wouldn't say he's the clear third choice.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Exactly, we have one guy in here from India and India probably didn't even have video games when Pac-Man was big. Pac-Man was huge in Japan and USA but really no where else. A lot of the Europeans are on here complaining about him but USA and Japan have always been the main markets for video games.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Exactly, we have one guy in here from India and India probably didn't even have video games when Pac-Man was big. Pac-Man was huge in Japan and USA but really no where else. A lot of the Europeans are on here complaining about him but USA and Japan have always been the main markets for video games.
Pac-man is well known here, and for that matter, everywhere. But yeah, he isn't popular.
Yeah. This speaks for itself. Read next time and don't assume things.

Let's look at it this way. Pac-Man is like Superman. He's famous and an icon. However if given the choice between Superman and say Batman, most people will chose Batman. They give Superman respect for all of the things he has done. They just don't really like him. Pac-Man is in the same position. He has earned respect but most people would still prefer another character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Another I note is that for America, Europe and Japan, Volbound is referring to his popularity more than 30 years ago. Yes, He was huge 30 years ago, but is he the same now? Looking at Shortie's poll, I don't think so.

Now, a question. Was a Pac-Man a popular choice pre-brawl?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Another I note is that for America, Europe and Japan, Volbound is referring to his popularity more than 30 years ago. Yes, He was huge 30 years ago, but is he the same now? Looking at Shortie's poll, I don't think so.

Now, a question. Was a Pac-Man a popular choice pre-brawl?
Not in the slightest. He was dwarfed by Sonic, Megaman, and even Lloyd Irving!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
doubt he's dwarfed by Lloyed

I never even heard of his series before people brought him up as a character for smash

It's more or less a niche series

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
doubt he's dwarfed by Lloyed

I never even heard of his series before people brought him up as a character for smash.
But he's far cooler than Pac-Man. :awesome:

Now before you dismiss it as subjective, I'd like you to explain what makes Pac-Man cool in your point of view. :smirk: ;)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, for one he's actually got a game with more than 20 years of replay ability. Being sold on many systems, including the wii, iphones, computers, etc.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Back when people thought a Namco character was super unlikely, (like pre-Brawl and even pre-Namco reveal) Lloyd has a lot more popularity for Smash than Pac-Man. He's not more likely... but he used to be more popular. He still is in Japan afaik.

And again, overall knowledge and popularity of a character do not necessarily translate directly to demand for that character in Smash.

TheKingOfTown

Smash Apprentice
I think Pac-Man could be a really cool character. I'd imagine he'd use moves from the Pac-Man World series of games. Maybe his Final Smash could be eating a power pellet and pretty much auto-killing anyone he manages to chomp.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Llyod to me is playstyle-wise just going to be another FE character. You could probably find a dual-sword Fire Emblem character and it play a lot like Lloydd. Pac-Man at least could have a very unique moveset.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yes, saying Lloyd is cooler then Pac-Man IS subjective as not everyone likes Tales. I honestly can't get into any of the games.

Also, Psycho sums it up greatly. I tried playing Symphonia recently at a friends house, i couldn't get into it and i found it very boring. (Which is weird since i usually love JRPGs)

I still wont deny that he has a chance at getting into Smash. However, he has to compete with Tekken and Pac-Man.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Tekken won't get in, not because of demand, but because they are a fighting game in the style of Mortal Kombat and really don't fit Smash. It would be a butchery to both franchises to fit them in but then again we have Snake and it worked so Sakurai might make it work. I just don't see Tekken being a choice.

I find it funny people are coming into a Pac-Man thread with Pac-Man supporters and stating, "He doesn't have any support, he is just an icon but no popularity."

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I find it funny people are coming into a Pac-Man thread with Pac-Man supporters and stating, "He doesn't have any support, he is just an icon but no popularity."
It's hardly unusual though. I've seen it plenty of times.

Psycho's answer helped me open up to Pac-Man a bit, so instead of being opposed to him, I'm neutral to his addition now. :)

volbound1700

Smash Master
@ FalKoopa, I think a lot of the anti-Pac-Man crowd is the same as the Anti-Third-Party crowd in general because I see the same posters talking about Sonic and Snake being cut and only begrudingly even accepting the Megaman hype. I don't understand this crowd and they annoy me more than any other Smash fans on here.

It is still going to be a Nintendo franchise with Nintendo heavily favored even with third parties. I mean Sonic and Snake's material took up what 2% of the game once you factor in their AT, levels, music, trophy, etc.

I have always been the mindset that Smash should add the BEST characters irregardless of 1st or 3rd party status. Had Pac-man been a Nintendo IP there would be a great chance he was in Smash 64 and at the very least a forerunner for Melee if not that. You can also say the same thing about Megaman, Sonic, and some of the other third parties I support. That is my point. These characters are HUGE all-time, why not have them in a game that includes other HUGE all-time characters like Mario, Yoshi, DK, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Fox, etc.

Nintendo has by far the biggest and best IP which is why they were perfect to start this Smash but there are other great non-Nintendo IP out there I would love in the game. I do draw the line that they have to appear on a Nintendo system and would rather get Nintendo focused 3rd parties like Megaman, Bomberman, and Sonic in his recent history.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not anti-third party, by the way. I just prefer Nintendo IPs much more than any 3rd party, that is to say, put a limit on them.

I can understand the anti-third party crowd though. They are the Nintendo purists. They believe that since Smash Bros. is a Nintendo game, it should be limited to only Nintendo characters. To be honest, even an obscure Nintendo character would please of more than a 3rd party, but that's my opinion.

Btw, Volbound, you should try out Smash Bros. Crusade. I think it's the closest to your idea of a multi-party crossover.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have tried out Smash Flash 2 and my problem is they leave off too much of the Nintendo roster lol. I want the full Nintendo roster but I think there are some good 3rd parties out there as well. Also I don't understand the love for a company. It is just a company geez. Unless you work there. I mean I have a relationship with an Automotive company and buy primarily there vehicles and I work for another major company and buy their products but If I don't work for a company or have actually connections, I could care less.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I honestly would like to see what kind of movesets fan come up with Pac-Man. I'd try my hand at it, but I'm as familiar with him as say Mario or Megaman. I mean I can see what B moves he would have but my head is blank on any A moves for him.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The neutral special actually NEEDS to be a bite attack. Change Wario's neutral since him nearly eating people is weird even for him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I honestly would like to see what kind of movesets fan come up with Pac-Man. I'd try my hand at it, but I'm as familiar with him as say Mario or Megaman. I mean I can see what B moves he would have but my head is blank on any A moves for him.
Since I am honestly a pac-man fan boy ( just look at my name and profile pic) I will come up with a simple moveset to show it's qiute easy

B- Electro-Shock pellet- pac-man uses the electro shock pellet to shoot electrical beams at opponents in the form of a projectile. (7% each)
From Pac-Man world 3

Side B: Rev Roll- Pac-Man charges up a run in place and like Ike's side B, you are fully charged after about 3 seconds and you roll into the opponent after you release B. Has decent knockback like Ike's side B. But, like in pacman world 2 opponents running at pac-man while Pac-Man rolls toward them, is not only blasted away with high knock back, but dazed for 3 seconds as if they were hit with a deku nut. (Does 17% if fully charged.) From Pac-Man world 2

Down B: Butt Bounce- Pac-Man jumps up and bounces back down with his...Butt. Can be use 3 times in a row after the first bounce. Meteor smashes in mid-air, 3rd hit pushes opponent away like toon link's d-air. Can be moved side to side across the whole stage. (1st hit does 9%, 2nd does 10%, and 3rd does 13%. ) From Pac-Man world 2

Up B: Red Pac-Dot- Pac-Man throws out a red pac dot and eats it. When he does a line of pac-dots form in mid air. You can control where the pac-dots turn. It can also latch onto the stage. Pac-Man eats the dots as fast as a fire fox's speed. Opponents can be hurt if they touch Pac-Man's mouth while eating. From Pac-Man world 2

Forward smash- Chomp: I believe this should be his smash instead of B move so hat way, we keep the iconic chomp, and give Pac-Man a useful projectile. also, it protects from having to give him a boring punch. (18% uncharged 28% fully charged.) very high knockback. From original pac-man

Up Smash- Uppercut:

do I even need words to explain this iconic jump? jumps up like Sonic's up-smash but does an uppercut instead. (12% uncharged 22% fully charged.) average knockback. from world series

Down Smash-Pellet Wave: This was hard, but I finally got it. Pac-Man hits the ground and a small circle of pellets waves around him that do damage on contact. It might sound lame,(or creative in my eyes) but it was hard to make. cut me some slack. ;) (14% uncharged 18% fully charged.) average knockback. From...my imagination

AAA: Pac-man throws a left hook, right hook, then a jab that sends out a small shock wave in front of him. (4%, 6%, then 9%.)
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFMBujNRfs 5:12 - 5:15. From Pac-Man world 3

U-air: Pac-Man does a flip kick with skates on and does slicing damage, like a blade. (does 12%)From Pac-man world 2.

D-air: Pac-Man does a swinging punch underneath him, like marth's down air only with a fist instead of blade. (does 13%) Meteor smashes.

F-air- Pac-man takes both fists and smashez opponents. Acts like ike's(it doesn't meteor smash) 11% damage.

B-air - Pac-man does a backwards roundhouse kick like fox. (10% damage)

N-air - pac-man spins around in a circle and hurts opponents. I lost ideas for this one XD. (does 6% on first hit, 1% on any other frame but the first.)

F-tilt - pac man does a simple front kick (7%)

U-tilt.- pac man does a small headbutt upwards. Can juggle. ( 8%)

D-tilt - pacman does two floor kicks.( 4% first, 3% second)

Z- air - pac man uses his grapple from the old pac man 2 game. Only the tip does damage (5%)

F- throw - pacman throws opponent up and elbows them forward. (does 9%)

D-throw- pacman throws opponent down and hammers thwm with his hammer from pacman 2. (does 12 damage) does no knockback like mr.g&w's down throw.

U-throw - pacman throws opponent up and flip kicks them (8% damage)

B-throw- pacman tosses opponent in a backwards overhead toss (10% damage)

up- taunt - pacman looks around amazed like in pac man world 2

Down taunt- pacman's eyes turn to x's and he spins around and fall. Pacman death music plays. Death animation in the world series.

Side-taunt- pacman throws and kicks a pac dot around like a soccer ball then eats it. From pacman world series.

Finally done. Hope u guys like it! This is my dream moveset for pacman, and it might soon be reality. XD

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Since I am honestly a pac-man fan boy ( just look at my name and profile pic) I will come up with a simple moveset to show it's qiute easy

B- Electro-Shock pellet- pac-man uses the electro shock pellet to shoot electrical beams at opponents in the form of a projectile. (7% each)
From Pac-Man world 3

Side B: Rev Roll- Pac-Man charges up a run in place and like Ike's side B, you are fully charged after about 3 seconds and you roll into the opponent after you release B. Has decent knockback like Ike's side B. But, like in pacman world 2 opponents running at pac-man while Pac-Man rolls toward them, is not only blasted away with high knock back, but dazed for 3 seconds as if they were hit with a deku nut. (Does 17% if fully charged.) From Pac-Man world 2

Down B: Butt Bounce- Pac-Man jumps up and bounces back down with his...Butt. Can be use 3 times in a row after the first bounce. Meteor smashes in mid-air, and on the ground the 3rd hit buries opponents as if hit by a pit fall. Can be moved side to side across the whole stage. (1st hit does 9%, 2nd does 10%, and 3rd does 17%. ) From Pac-Man world 2

Up B: Red Pac-Dot- Pac-Man throws out a red pac dot and eats it. When he does a line of pac-dots form in mid air. You can control where the pac-dots turn. It can also latch onto the stage. Pac-Man eats the dots as fast as a fire fox's speed. Opponents can be hurt if they touch Pac-Man's mouth while eating. From Pac-Man world 2

Forward smash- Chomp: I believe this should be his smash instead of B move so hat way, we keep the iconic chomp, and give Pac-Man a useful projectile. also, it protects from having to give him a boring punch. (18% uncharged 28% fully charged.) very high knockback. From original pac-man

Up Smash- Uppercut:

do I even need words to explain this iconic jump? jumps up like Sonic's up-smash but does an uppercut instead. (12% uncharged 22% fully charged.) average knockback. from world series

Down Smash-Pellet Wave: This was hard, but I finally got it. Pac-Man hits the ground and a small circle of pellets waves around him that do damage on contact. It might sound lame,(or creative in my eyes) but it was hard to make. cut me some slack. ;) (14% uncharged 18% fully charged.) average knockback. From...my imagination

AAA: Pac-man throws a left hook, right hook, then a jab that sends out a small shock wave in front of him. (4%, 6%, then 9%.)
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFMBujNRfs 5:12 - 5:15. From Pac-Man world 3

U-air: Pac-Man does a flip kick with skates on and does slicing damage, like a blade. (does 12%)From Pac-man world 2.

D-air: Pac-Man does a swinging punch underneath him, like marth's down air only with a fist instead of blade. (does 13%) Meteor smashes.

I'll come up with the rest later, to think of all this took a lot out of me...XD
I'm liking what you've shown so far. I can see it working for a smash game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The moveset is creative. :) The down special seems a bit overpowered, though.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
I honestly have no problem with Pac-Man in there, not saying I want him, it just wouldn't bother me.

I will say though, that if Pac-Man is in then the ghosts MUST be an assist trophy. (Or just part of a stage, I don't really care.)

You need to put that in there too if you put Pac-Man.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I already came up with an idea that includes Ms Pac-Man and the Ghosts as an AT.

There would be a 50/50 chance that the Ghosts will chance Ms Pac-Man around the stage or Ms Pac-Man will chance the ghosts around the stage. Both her and the ghosts are in their 8 bit sprites of course.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It would be nice if he had a taunt that turns him into an 8 Bit version of himself briefly like Mega Man's taunt in Super Smash Flash 2.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Four reasons why Pac-Man is extremely likely and has easily one of the highest chances of any newcomer:

1) The past:
The last time Namco co-devleoped a game with Nintendo, Pac-Man was included (Mario Kart Arcade GP).

2) Internal situation:
Namco will be desperate to give their struggling little mascot a lifeline and Nintendo surely have an obligation under common courtesy to allow their co-developer at least one representation.
It would be ridiculous to deny the co-developer of the game even a single character slot!

(It could have even been in the contract when Namco signed on!).
Pac's fan base is ageing and this may be Namco's last chance to establish their mascot with the new younger generation.

3) Brand awareness equal to Mario:
In 2009 Pac-Man had the greatest brand awareness in the USA of any video game character ever.
According to the 2009 poll, Pac-Man was the most well known video game character in the USA being recognised by 94% Americans. Mario closely followed with 93% and admittedly has probably overtaken in the past few years, but there's no shame in being slightly less recognised than the legendary Mario himself.

4) Ease of acquisition:
Sakurai said that attaining the rights for a 3rd party character is as much work as making the game itself. This does not apply to Pac man because they already have the rights since Namco are co-developing the game. This gives him a huuuge advantage over other third party's.

In fact, for all intents and purposes he can hardly even be considered a 3rd party character at all since his owners are co-developers!

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
As far as the most common arguments against Pac-Man's chances go:

1) He's not popular enough: FALSE.

He is not a popular choice for the sort of demographic who spend time on a forum discussing characters, true. But relatively speaking he is a very popular and well recognised character for for the more casual side of the target market.
Point 3) above demonstrates his recognisability among casuals.
Sakurai will not aim every single character at the internet forum users more hardcore gaming demographic.

2) Sakurai does not want to include too many 3rd party characters.

Point 4) above states why Pac Man is an exception to the reasons as to why Sakurai said this.
He might as well be considered a first party character for this game.

Top Bottom