• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-man is BROKEN. Unbeatable "For Glory" 2v2 strategy

Turbopasta

Smash Rookie
Please let it be noted that I am making this thread not for the purpose of getting free wins in For Glory or trolling people online, but for educational purposes. I personally feel that this strategy should be nerfed or patched out since there is essentially no counter-play once it gets going, and it is relatively easy to do. It should also be noted that this WILL NOT WORK in competitive smash tournaments if team-attack is enabled, which often is the case. Also, if playing without a timer, this trick is essentially an infinite that breaks the game, and I don't think there's any limit to how far up you can go with it.

Anyways, last night, my friend and I stumbled upon something interesting that you can do in any For Glory 2v2 game at the moment. Actually executing this trick can be difficult, but once you and an ally get going, it is literally impossible for the opposing team to touch you in any way. This "strategy", while not perfect, is very likely not intentional due to how un-fun it makes the game for the opponents. I'm calling this technique Pac-man's "Trampoline to Heaven"

I've posted a video of this in action if you want to see what I'm talking about:

HOW TO DO IT:

While the strategy looks simple on the surface, there's actually a few things going on that need explanation.

What is essentially happening happening here is that the first Pac-man uses his default "Pac-jump" up-special to create a trampoline under himself and launches himself upwards. The trampoline remains in place and can be jumped on by ANYONE two more times before it breaks. The other Pac-man then jumps on the trampoline that was just created. At this point, both players can spam up-B inputs on their controllers, since doing so creates a fresh trampoline for the other player to use that is slightly higher than the last one.

Players cannot be killed by going too high off the stage unless they're hit by an opposing player. Because of this, stalling in the air indefinitely is possible. Each Pac-man will be damaged continuously due to being out-of-bounds, but the damage doesn't really matter if you never come back down.

One thing that's important to mention here: if you ONLY do up-B inputs on the controller, the game will think you are idling and kick you after 45 seconds or so. The way to counteract this is by doing a quick FULL CIRCLE MOTION on the directional stick while not pressing the B button. Immediately once the the rotation is done, go back to spamming up-B. I found it best to verbally communicate with my doubles partner so we could take turns doing this, so as to reduce the risk of moving away from the other player, if only by a little bit.

If a player masters this trick, there are also advanced techniques they can do on top of stalling indefinitely. It is possible to use Pac-man's down special to throw a Hydrant onto the stage while still moving upwards with his up-special, although I think the timing is really tight since I fell off the trampoline and went into special fall often when trying to do this. It is also possible, if both players are coordinated/lucky, to use Pac-man's side-special and go back into trampoline spam right after, although it's very easy to miss the trampoline if you aren't careful.

I've also found that sometimes, the game gets confused if the Pac-man players go high enough off the stage. The little thumbnail that shows when a player is in the blast-zone has normal behavior when the strategy starts, but if you go high enough, the thumbnails will start spazzing out and wobble all over the top of the screen. I don't think this affects where the player is spacially, but it can be alarming and confusing when this happens.

COUNTERS:

Now, if you're fighting someone else who is doing this in For Glory, or locally in games without team-attack enabled, don't worry, there ARE counter-plays to this strategy. Ness, Pikachu, Mega Man, Pit, and Dark Pit are the hardest counters to this strategy, as they all have safe projectiles that can go high into the sky for an easy KO. Most other characters with projectiles also make this strategy difficult to execute.

Imagine this tech in the hands of two good Pac-man players. I don't consider myself a Pac-man main and I don't think I'm very good with the character, but imagine if two people who both mained Pac-man used this tech online. All they would need to do is get a single kill, and then stall out the game entirely. This essentially breaks the game and makes any fight where this trick is used feel unfair.

Anyways, that about does it for this explanation. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

•Col•

Smash Champion
Im gonna be 'that' guy.. In the example video, Link actually could've damaged himself with bombs to launch himself into the air to attack the Pac-men and kill them off the top of the screen. Although yes, plenty of other team settups in For Flory wouldn't be able to do a thing.

In tourneys this won't really be viable due to team attack, since you can throw your teammate upwards or footstool your teammate to get to the Pac-men and kill them off the top. Especially since they're constantly racking up damage from being offscreen.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So going to try this out, this looks kinda fun.

Gator

Smash Cadet
that is definitely both clever and hilarious at the same time... but definitely unfair. Hopefully they can make a patch for this, because I know once this strategy starts going around, people are never gonna stop doing this, and it will make matches with pac man players annoying.

(also a side note, the strategy reminds me of this old meme, lol)

JipC

Smash Journeyman
breaking news: TA-off is broken as ****
... Definetly trying this next time my friend comes over though lol

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Can someone test this in offline infinite time mode to see if anything cool happens if the Pac-Mans (Pac-Men?) go too high? I know in some games, values like X or Y coordinates eventually roll over back to the lowest possible amount after they get to a certain point, so maybe that'll happen here too? If this really is just a matter of hitting Up-B over and over again, we could get two GCCs with turbo support and tape the analog sticks into the "Up" position with "B" set to turbo and leave the game on over night or something. Possible experiment?

link2702

Smash Champion
Good news i suppose is thanks to the new reporting system in smash4, any players who do this will end up banned(...hopefully) and if this becomes a big enough problem, nintendo will patch it out.

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I don't know how they could exactly patch this without ruining pac-mans Up B...

RosalinaSama

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ROSA#211
NNID
Fracktail
3DS FC
2492-4324-7138
Switch FC
SW-1139-8011-8725
Wow, I don't know how they could exactly patch this without ruining pac-mans Up B...
if they can make the game force a getup after 3 jab locks i think it might be possible? but i dont know how many times theyd have to allow it before stopping it

Closet Pro

Smash Rookie
Megaman can reach them no problem with an exploit i found that should be nerfed.
Use Rush Coil from the ground, then jump on the same Rush coil a second time so you can use Rush Coil AGAIN with your double jump to spare and Up+air for a double kill.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to be reached after a certain time. Why? The Yoshi super jump glitch revealed, that there's no 'ceiling' for characters that don't die from the top (unless they're hit)

If you fly off into space like the pacman, you'd take ages to come back down.

No one could reach them, really.

also pretty sure two pacmen in teams WOULD be able to do this, but they'd have to treat it like juggling and it'd be extremely difficult.

Last edited:

RandomHobo587

Smash Rookie
NNID
RandomHobo587
As a Pac-Man main, I find this hysterical, enlightening, and offensive all at the same time. First, the offensive.

It's not a case of where I'm offended by the community complaining about it. I'm more offended by the fact that this is most likely going to taint Pac-Man's reputation as a character since so many other people are probably going to start doing this. I agree that it is super broken and needs to be patched.

Second, hysterical that Pac-Man's moveset has been the most broken in the game and has to have been changed several times. Who remembers Z-Dropping and Easily-launchable Hydrants? Those had to be fixed because they were completely broken in unintended ways. Now this pops up AFTER Sakurai said that he doesn't want to release any more patches. It's just very ironic how that happens.

Finally, enlightened that this exists. Sure, it may be broken and should not be used in this way, but this also gives us new ideas of possible Pac-Man tech. If someone sits down and really studies this, we could probably find some new skills for Pac-Man to use in battle that AREN'T cheating.

That's just my opinion on the matter.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
Instead of patching this "glitch" they could just make it so players who are detected to do this gets banned for stalling.

Khao

Smash Lord
About people asking for a patch...

...How?

You'd have to completely change the move's functionality down to it's very design to fix something like this, or put some pretty nonsensical exceptions so it can't happen.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, instead of nerfing Pac-man, make it so that For Glory teams allow Friendly Fire on.

Friendly Fire being off to begin with is an inherent design issue considering stuff like this could be dodged all together.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
You know, instead of nerfing Pac-man, make it so that For Glory teams allow Friendly Fire on.

Friendly Fire being off to begin with is an inherent design issue considering stuff like this could be dodged all together.
But that would ruin Team Matches in general.
Trolls can punch their teammate untill they die.
Patch would be better.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Megaman can reach them no problem with an exploit i found that should be nerfed.
Use Rush Coil from the ground, then jump on the same Rush coil a second time so you can use Rush Coil AGAIN with your double jump to spare and Up+air for a double kill.
Same thing with Sonic, and his spring

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I had trouble fighting pac-man already... Anyway, can we please call it the "2Pac" or a verient of that

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My friend showed me this and let me say that no Smash 4 video has made me laugh so hard. Pure genius.

One question though - I'm aware Pac-Man has a short hit box at the start of the trampoline. Considering that two Pac-Men would be doing this at intervals, is it even possible to get up to them without being hit by that? If it is, then there are a few characters who could easily catch them before the get too far, since they have recoveries/jumps that go high enough:

:4darkpit::4dedede::4kirby::4lucario::4megaman::4metaknight::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::rosalina::4shulk::4sonic::4villager::4wario::4zelda:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
My friend showed me this and let me say that no Smash 4 video has made me laugh so hard. Pure genius.

One question though - I'm aware Pac-Man has a short hit box at the start of the trampoline. Considering that two Pac-Men would be doing this at intervals, is it even possible to get up to them without being hit by that? If it is, then there are a few characters who could easily catch them before the get too far, since they have recoveries/jumps that go high enough:

:4darkpit::4dedede::4kirby::4lucario::4megaman::4metaknight::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::rosalina::4shulk::4sonic::4villager::4wario::4zelda:
That depends..... I haven't really played much of teams, but isn't team attack off?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That depends..... I haven't really played much of teams, but isn't team attack off?
No, what I mean is that as long as the hitboxes the two Pac-Men have don't easily hurt their opponents when they attempt to steal the trampolines, then the characters I listed have an easy counter in that they can simply steal the trampolines.

Ultrachaos547

Smash Rookie
If they made it so that Pacman's trampoline wouldnt refresh when jumping on another pacman's trampoline, then they could fix it no problem. No need to do a complete overhaul of the move

Matt ~

Smash Rookie
wow...

as long as you can separate the 2 pac-men from the beginning, then yu should be all set :p

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
If Team Attack were on, wouldn't that make this impossible? No, really; is there ANY way of doing this with Team Attack on?

HeroponLuigi

Smash Rookie
After some testing I've come to the conclusion that ROB is the best counter to pac mans trampoline trick. There really isn't a close second to ROB. I've posted a video of this on youtube foryou guys to see. In the second replay you can see that I let the pac mans go up pretty high but I still managed to stop them. Check it out and let me know what you think. The name of the video is: How to beat the Pac Man glitch, Pac Man ladder, broken Pac Man it won't let me post a link to youtube. If it helps the url ends in /watch?v=fTRdl82FzuY

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
I have been a victim of this. Me (Olimar) and my brother (Lucario). It was actually on For Fun so I am not exactly a "victim" though. But this can be annoying on For Glory. Like REALLY Effing annoying.

By the way. The making of this thread is educational all right. It's educatiing TROLLS to screw up our game balance. On the bright side, tournaments will definitely not allow this.

Last edited:

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Sorry. Last post I hit reply instead of edit and ended up accidentally double posting. I have edited this post to follow the Guidelines and not to be reported. Disregard this post.

Last edited:

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
I did this several times the other day with a friend 2v2 online. If you do it continuously you get disconnected "for idling" after about 30 seconds. Key is to let yourself come down after about 25 seconds then continue it.

Another weird thing is that the opponent did this to us one, but somehow me and my friend got disconnected for idling EVEN THOUGH the two pacmans had come down to fight and we were fighting at that point. Can someone explain this? I assume its a server glitch. But to clarify, the 2 enemy pacmans had been doing the trampoline to heaven jump then mid-way through the timed game, they came down. We resumed normal competitive gameplay. Then out of nowhere my friend and I are booted "for idling" ??? (we were allowed online again after 3 minutes)

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
About people asking for a patch...

...How?

You'd have to completely change the move's functionality down to it's very design to fix something like this, or put some pretty nonsensical exceptions so it can't happen.
You don't need to touch pac man at all to fix this, just set a boundary for the stage that no matter how you got there it kills you. It might still be possible, but it would a lot more coordination than telling someone when you're rotating

Top Bottom