• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Pac Attack - Advanced Techniques and Strategy Guide

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
What edge options do we have to hit them off other than d tilt and apple? I guess a properly spaced melon would hit too, but that's easy to evade, given how far away you would have to be.

verbatim

Smash Ace
The hydrant can be dropped on people to steal jumps, its water can gimp people situationally, and you can jump off after people and fair or nair them. Pacman's kind of like Pit in the sense that he can go REALLY deep to secure a kill and still make it back.

I personally like to alternate between jumping off after them with fairs and using the opportunity to get a fruit + hydrant setup. The other options work but in significantly more situational circumstances.

Also d-smash can hit people who don't snap to the ledge.

Last edited:

Partial_Credit

Smash Rookie
I have a video of some short combos resulting from z drop mix ups. How do you beat them if they shield a z drop, or is it a safe option? My favorite is yo punish roll aways by bairing them back into the fruit lol.
Do you drop the fruit directly onto them or in front of them and then go for the bair?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
KO confirms I labbed:

Z drop orange -> z regrab + toss
Instant gimp offstage unless your name is villager.

DACIT upwards Cherry/strawberry -> charged usmash
Strict spacing, but is a very nice KO confirm regardless. If they can shield in time (extremely hard to do on reaction due to the speed of the slide, but can be predicted if you perform it too...predictably) bair/fsmash to poke, or pivot grab into back throw if you are by the ledge.

Abadango KO confirms on stream:

Z drop galaxian -> Nair -> galaxian hit -> dash attack -> galaxian toss -> galaxian hit -> Side B

Z drop galaxian -> footstool -(galaxian hits them up)> side B

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I would post a video of it if I had the chance but there is hardly anyone on 3ds for glory anymore.

Something we all need to be doing is face the opposite direction of our opponent when dropping a hydrant. This makes launching the hydrant and intercepting our opponent with bairs much easier.

This is simple enough to do on the ground, but we need to be doing this the air as well. Some of us have been having difficulty landing against competent opponents well this will help a lot with that since it gives us the option to bair as well as air dodge our opponents incoming pressure.

To perform this simple reverse charge your fruit and cancel it into your hydrant it will turn you around so that you'll have bair in your arsenal(infinitely better than fair for mid air interceptions)

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
^^^ I try and do this but my charge canceling isn't perfected yet. To help wirh his landing, What I do is z drop a fruit, then immediately drop a hydrant, the fruit hits the hydrant, if they try and grab the fruit bair the hydrant if they hit the hydrant, fast fall air dodge, you land while they recover

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Also I found a wierd animation glitch, so I tried to do the hydrant pushed side b thing, basically jump drop hydrant jump side b into the water, and about half the time I got this glitch where it looked like I was going to hit the ground, like when you aim at it and bounce, but instead of that I would land on the ground unable to move and slide in like a down tilt like animation from one side of FD to the other

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't sure how it happened but I'll see if I can replicate, it's just a longer reverse side b, that doesn't have a hitbox.....

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Also, I haven't seen it on here yet, so it might not me known. You can grab people on top of your hydrant and then up throw, let the hydrant gush you up past them, and then up air if they air dodge, or if they ff, throw a retreating apple
Both kill at 70% on mid weights

Last edited:

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Another one is you can grab people through hydrant, you can also drop hydrant, do an empty fair, throw the fruit, and the immediately catch almost every fruit but orange and key I'm sure a majority of these are known, but I had to find these on my own, so maybe not

Last edited:

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Ive tried, a lot to replicate it but I cant. Basically what happened was I aimed the side b too close to the ground rather than parallel to it, and I should've hit the stage but the hydrant pushed me just before I did, so I traveled in a special fall state, unable to move despite me never hitting the stage. As to why I went farther than a normal hydrant Side b, I have no clue. Pepe can you explain the hydrant gushed z dropped fruit as a route to attacking? I saw it in your video, but I can't replicate it to the point of usefulness, by the time it gets pushed, it already almost timed out and vanished.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Yeah, we've heard about those before^^;

Edit: I'm discovering so many new techs to deal with shield...

A z dropped key leads into a shield brake off of s short hop. Sh z drop key-> re-catch with Z -> immediately SH z drop again

Repeat until broken sheild which should be after 3 z drops on a full shield(shields were discovered to have only 42 health after the latest patch)

Yes, this is a true blockstring and I plan to show it in a video soon.

And about that galaxian -> footstool -> galaxian second hit -> Side B KO confirm,
If the opponent is fast enough to shield it, we can drop a hydrant on them and bair fast enough to end up breaking their sheild instead.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So I've realized something we all need to take into account and that's playing our opponents percentage game.

I was playing one of my friends(Lucario) online and he was beating my Pacman consistently. He knows the matchup pretty well and does Pacman specific counters(like countering the hydrant) and not getting distracted by it. My typically strategy against Lucario is to abuse the bell to get early kills to avoid his rage+aura combo but he kept shield at higher percents to block it, even when I delayed my bell he would constantly shield and its the sorta frustration that BSP switching over to Mario. What I realized though is that at higher percents a lot of opponents like to shield a lot more which can be a hurdle for Pacman. Using Up b to bust shields isn't always safe BUT AT HIGHER PERCENTS IT IS! If they get by the trampoline at higher percents the knock back will keep you safe. And since they are blocking a lot more there shield is depleted making the trampoline bust there shield seemingly everytime. I played the last few games with the strategy and he didn't beat me once. Its a subtle thing that we all should be keeping in mind.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
can you dash into up b instantly? I always try it and he stops a little then does it fine.
That because you have tap jump off. Put tap jump on and then you can dash up b perfectly.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
well then you cant use up tilt??? granted his up tilt is situational at best.
You can totally still up tilt, were you under the impression you couldn't up tilt with tap jump on? That's false.

The biggest issue is that yo can't up air without using your double jump. If you're on the WiiU you can use the c stick just fine but its very awkward on the 3ds.

I could care less though my Pacman is definitely tap jump on from now on.

BSP

Smash Legend
You can totally still up tilt, were you under the impression you couldn't up tilt with tap jump on? That's false.

The biggest issue is that yo can't up air without using your double jump. If you're on the WiiU you can use the c stick just fine but its very awkward on the 3ds.

I could care less though my Pacman is definitely tap jump on from now on.
You can still Uair without using your double jump using the control stick with TJ on. You have to tilt the stick very slightly though.

Also, the problem with TJ off can be remedied by jumping before you try to up B. You can still jump in that inital dash animation, and you can cancel that jump with up B,

Anyway, I think %'s that hydrant water forces people off of ledges is pretty advanced, so I say we start a list here. The % listed is the % Pac-Man has to be at for the hydrant water to force the opponent off of the ledge. I'm not sure what determines how easily a character can be forced off. We're heavier than Peach, but we get forced off earlier. Maybe traction?

Sheik: 61%
Peach: 83%
Rosalina : 45%
Fox: 40%
Falcon: 114%

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Don't use tap jump ON, I press jump & B and the same time and it works like tap jump ON

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Don't use tap jump ON, I press jump & B and the same time and it works like tap jump ON
Jesus I don't know how I could ever get accustomed to pressing and then up B at the sametime. In fact I don't even see how that possible since my thumb needs to slide down from the Y button before I press the B button. Are you using the claw method?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Jesus I don't know how I could ever get accustomed to pressing and then up B at the sametime. In fact I don't even see how that possible since my thumb needs to slide down from the Y button before I press the B button. Are you using the claw method?
To each their own methods. Personally, I've used X for specials since Brawl specifically to be able to do jump canceled UpB without tap jump. I also use it for special cancels as well so that I can go straight from X to A (For fruit cancels into jabs/tilts).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sorry to double post, but yoooooo... This could be a really dumb edgeguard.

I don't know how practical it will be in a real match, but this covers neutral getup, most ledge rolls (Some of the ones with more invincibility may get through), ledge jump, allows us to trump them into a hydrant if they stay on the ledge, and puts us in a really good position to punish them if they ledge drop.

It does take time to set up, but this could potentially be a guaranteed kill on any character who can't recover high if timed correctly.

EDIT:

Ideally you want to do it like at the 0:20 mark. That low allows you to quickly trump while covering all options.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Sorry to double post, but yoooooo... This could be a really dumb edgeguard.

I don't know how practical it will be in a real match, but this covers neutral getup, most ledge rolls (Some of the ones with more invincibility may get through), ledge jump, allows us to trump them into a hydrant if they stay on the ledge, and puts us in a really good position to punish them if they ledge drop.

It does take time to set up, but this could potentially be a guaranteed kill on any character who can't recover high if timed correctly.

EDIT:

Ideally you want to do it like at the 0:20 mark. That low allows you to quickly trump while covering all options.
Do you think an orange fruit gush into ledge trump can work too?

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I have jump on R, I press R + B :p

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
spacing wise where do you want the galxian to hit the opponent in order for it to combo? I do it about a roll away but I cant hit them back into it for the second time... Tips?

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
spacing wise where do you want the galxian to hit the opponent in order for it to combo? I do it about a roll away but I cant hit them back into it for the second time... Tips?
Anywhere where it will loop. In some cases it can hit an opponent after the loop but that is more of a bonus than a planned strategy. Usually try to follow up on it so you can punish any avoidance attempts.

Huge

Smash Apprentice
Just realized that I forgot to post this here. I discovered some life-changing Pac tech a while back and figured I'd release it to the world in all its unarguable glory.

Uses, anyone? :)

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Guys, What do you think about this edgeguarding? I did this on a tournament

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You are a filthy, dirty man.

...I approve and will be stealing that as well.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
It is really nice, trampoline + hydrant you can stay above the hydrant and instapunish if you have the key.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Bell to side b ko is a very real thing appearantly. It just requires you to aim for where they will be and not where they are. Must take some practice to understand the trajectories(does bell stun change at all with rage)

So something I finally did in tournaments over the weekend is getting kill by baiting air dodges with side b. When your opponent is falling down, jump beneath them, in front of them, and side so you turn around to hit them. Is a gimick thats bound to catch some people off and is relatively safe.

Top Bottom