• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ownapalooza XII Tournament - Concord, CA - January 9th, 2011

BattlePenguin

Smash Rookie
To Jason:
I'm almost positive I paid the venue fee. I gave you $7 when I entered for singles. I'm not denying I could be wrong or maybe I just didn't understand the fee (5 for doubles, 5 singles and 2 venue right?) I have no problem sending you how much I owe. I don't want to seem like I'm a shady person, and promise I wouldn't do something like this on purpose >.<.
But yea, it was a great tournament. Combined my love of smash with my love of hamburgers. I havn't been to a tourny in a while, n I got whooped today lol, everyone is hella good.
shoutouts
Jason - Great tournament. Thanks for hosting and sorry for the mixup
L /Moon - GGs, fun sets. Hopefully next time I'll be better competition
Scar, and other 2 falcons who played with me before doubles (I wanna say Nocturnalist and JPEGImage)
- Fun games, I'll be sure to work on my falcon

See everyone CGC

L__

Smash Master
I recorded Grand Finals

just letting everyone know

and it was fun playing you BP

WassupJB

Smash Lord
Oh and sorry I didn't say this sooner..but mega props to L for recording. Thank you.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I love you J.B. Mad fun tourney, my favorite Ownapalooza so far.

J.B. - yeeeaaah.
Burto - ***.
Germ - Dammit.
Waffles - thanks for stickin up for me even though Germ gave me the business.
Darrell - I think Burto did learn some things from your falco lol...good stuff
Jpeg - ***.
GKinfinity - I have a feeling you're going to rip me a new one soon.
Armond - <3
Jalapeno nacho cheese - Get at me.
Ky - Sorry about our set. I'll do better next time?
Replicate - I lol'd at "berto's friend who's really good"
Shroomed - stop having good alts, plz
Darkmike - Good seeing you again. Feel better son.
People I played in bracket - ggs
People I played in friendlies - yee
Dudes who placed well - way too good.

Again, too good.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
(I wanna say Nocturnalist and JPEGImage)
yaup! you got it!
and yeah, fun games! though i dont think they could NOT be =p

and OMGZ! Friggen awesome tournament!!! way to go jason!!!. . . . (how was that?)
went thru it hella fast!
cgc should take note

nice job hostility and ky for putting me in my place in bracket

i kinda wish hockey game was on, but it was still worth it

just checking the hockey final's results now
spoiler:
GODDDAMMIT!!!! CANADA WON???!!! **** MAI *******!
how did you feel aboutthe result, pocky?

edit:
Jpeg - ***.
O rly?
cool, thanks!,

pockyD

Smash Legend
i'm not really happy about the result (USA USA USA) but the game was incredible

after tying it up at the end though i thought 'we' were DESTINED to win... 'twas not to be

yet another example of how dumb it is to have different rules for OT vs. regulation though

though at least it didn't go to a shootout, which is the ultimate dumb

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
yea, and now seeing all the canadians talking about how it was 'their' game and how it was a nonevent as to who was going to win. . . . . pretty funny

and a shootout would have been hilarious

mighty ducks 2, where u is?
(substitute canada for iceland)

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
did kfc go?

did darkmike go?

i want to see the bracket. if anyone has one, i'll give you oral pleasure.

Zoap

Smash Master
I had something come up sorry to Jason for not attending. Congrats to the Top 3 and hope everyone else had a good time.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
i have to give my love/shout out to everyone who made it period.i felt refreshed playing the tourney heads.i want to thank Jason for hosting this tourney.it just great to finally meet people that talk here on SMashboards and youtube as well. im hoping to get out more.

Scar

#HarveyDent
was a really fun tournament, thanks to jason for hosting it. Also was good to finally meet scar, I was a nonbeliever, but I have to say your falcon is legit. Good games to everyone I played. 925 is coming up. You guys were lucky bobby got dq'd
good **** lucien, hopefully i get better so i can get to you in bracket

german too good

**** you shroomed you suck i tapped your **** next time you won't get so lucky

good **** tho shroomed

also good **** norcal, hella fun playing friendlies w/ replicate sheridan alvin zach(k) and brandon all ****in night

edit: Scar's thoughts on moving from coast to coast
So, like I said in the car to Darrell, Phil, Brandon, and Stephen (steven, idk we didn't really meet dude lololol hella weird I should have said hi or something), on the EC I didn't care at all who I lost to, it's like OK either I should have won or I got legitimately tapped, either way you smile, say good game, and move on. But in NorCal, whenever I lose I'm like "****kkkk" and get really pissed. It's hella weird. So this is I think what happens.

Issue: New players
Different regions have different playstyles, and no one style trumps another one totally. When I moved, everyone became a threat because I'm not used to anyone. When you play other people OoS at Regionals or Nationals (or even locals with special guests), you're always ready for like a new guy and a new challenge, so you never sleep on anyone. Since NorCal became more or less my home right away, I was in the mindset of like these are locals and I'm used to all of them and their playstyles and if they aren't better than me outright, then I'll just **** them on autopilot.

Consequence: Underrating good players

Issue: Reputation
Smash is a game where you get judged on everything by everyone. Since we don't have kept stats or formalized rankings, the only way you know where you stand is communal opinion. Some people care and some people don't -- everyone knows that I'm one of those players that cares, albeit less than I used to. On the East Coast I played the game for 3 years building up my rep, and if I lost to someone I shouldn't lose to, everyone knew so there's no pressure. In NorCal I not only moved to a region with a ton of new, highly skilled players, but to a region with SS, another falcon player who day in and day out does things that I seem to be unable to.

Consequence: Unnecessary pressure

Obviously both of those consequences are negative, on the upside these new challenges force you to overcome them and ultimately get better as a player. So, what's life like on the West Coast? Pretty much like this.

joeplicate

Smash Master
hahahaha

"you've ignored a friend request from fox mccloud"

nice post bob

I feel like the opposite, actually, which could even be a bit of a bad thing. Like I've played the people here so much (and I have a TON of respect for all of them) that it doesn't phase me much when I lose. On the one hand, this could be good because I stay more positive during the tournament, but there's also some loss of competition. It's either like I fluctuate between "dam i ****in suck" (like I used to think) and being frustrated, and "man lucien's hella good, he definitely deserves to win." It's really bad playing brandon cause i've played him so much and he's my friend, plus my opinion of him as a player is insanely high. Dajuan seems like the only person where I don't have to work on it to get the right balance. If I don't get too down on myself, it's really easy to stay motivated, happy, and focused against him all at the same time.

I still think it's moderately better the way I think now. I read a post on hugo's aib blog talking about how bad it is to have an ego, and how your mindset during tournament should be remarkably similar to that of a friendly. This got me thinking about my own game a whole lot; one reason why I don't like playing noobs for a whole lot of time is because my smash ego starts rearing its ugly head. I always think about random johns or insults to tell them while I'm playing--"man you're not that good," "you spam so bad dude," or when they get a nice combo, "I bet that must've felt good, grumble grumble."

This is another thing that bothers me about "the spectator" attitude. It rubs me the wrong way when people refuse to acknowledge that players are just humans, and are capable of mistakes, and how it takes a lot of effort to play the game, mount an awesome comeback, or be super clutch. Replacing it with just a "You got ****ed up!" seems like they're baiting for a response, shunning the understanding of high-level play that makes people good players, and bringing your ego into the game. Instead, a lot of people replace it with mindless dickriding or equally mindless trash talk. I almost wanna say "*****, that's not how it works!"

(pocky, this is probably the reason why i got slightly angry at you that one time when i was playing justin--first off, he's leagues better than me, and second, all of the above. but no hard feelings :p)

This tournament made me think a lot about myself. I've been mainly thinking about "playing to learn" when I go into tournies, and hugo's idea of playing without an ego--these things are super connected imo. For the most part, it feels like I'm making progress, but having such singular focus, also it's easy to forget about the last goal you brought up! For me, this is "get tech skill," which is still super important and totally valid LOL.

Anyways I'm all out of steam and this feels like it's getting boring. See everyone on the 6th!!

pockyD

Smash Legend
(pocky, this is probably the reason why i got slightly angry at you that one time when i was playing justin--first off, he's leagues better than me, and second, all of the above. but no hard feelings :p)
i was hoping justin would win and if it threw you off (even though i don't actually recall saying anything interesting out loud), great success

get psyched out!

on the flip side, i made fun of justin too as hugo was 4stocking him in tournament

i dunno, i guess i naturally assume everyone else has the same 'who-cares' sentiment as me towards spectators, and that's probably a very faulty assumption since people get mad at me for things i feel are completely innocent

you should be playing for yourself, not to impress others. very few people are as mentally strong as jeff

joeplicate

Smash Master
word

and i definitely do try to play for myself, but that's what constitutes "mental strength" for me. the ability to try to learn and stay positive in any match you play

:)

Shroomed

Smash Master
i play to win, **** all that other ****

MOTHER****IN GERMAN HOW DO I BEAT YOU????

lucien we need moar matches

L__

Smash Master
For some reason I Dajuan is like the only player I wouldn't mind losing to

HOWEVER

I'm gonna **** up his spacies with my Doc

FoonZ

Smash Rookie
Yeah Jason dude, I paid you 7 dollars for singles. I'm positive of it, because Quak was right before me and he asked you if you had change for a 50. I was waiting their with 7 dollars in my hand, because you said you would collect it with singles since I gave you 10 for doubles. I'm pretty sure you just forgot to check off our names (BP and FoonZ)....=)

Great tourney btw. I had a good time.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I gave Dajuan 10 bucks to pay for us both. Had no idea there was a venue fee, and I blame him for not paying (and myself for thinking Dajuan could do something responsible).

Shroomed

Smash Master
I gave Dajuan 10 bucks to pay for us both. Had no idea there was a venue fee, and I blame him for not paying (and myself for thinking Dajuan could do something responsible).
i had no idea either

i thought that was part of the doubles fee and that was it

im sorry =(

EDIT: **** YOU BOBDUZIO, thats y i ***** you

and im the opposite of joe

i get even more mad losing to ppl i know rather than ppl i dont know

PHIL07

Smash Journeyman
good **** german and lucien
sorry i missed the finals
laters guys
<3

The GERM

Smash Ace
On the flip side, i made fun of justin too as hugo was 4stocking him in tournament
Lol, you also laughed at Hugo after he lost to Pacman and didn't make it out of pools, I'm pretty sure you're the reason he chuck Norrised that table lol.

SuperRad

Smash Master
Hugo was getting ****ed up by Pakman in pools. It was game 2, hugo lost the first one. They were both at high % but Hugo was on last stock and Pakman had 2 stocks still. Hugo is edgeguarding Pakman, and then he gets a misfire right into samus's dome to kill him. It was hilarious, we had a laugh about it. Hugo got up and walked away and then punched a table pretty **** hard. It was also hilarious.

DJMirror

Smash Master
you know what's even more funny?

SuperRad, Boback (Maybe), and PockyD are guarantee not to make it out of pools at Nice Shot Hugo

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't get it

i've made it out of pools (barely) every time i've been down to socal

i almost never do in norcal

socal's easy

Top Bottom