• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overture 5 - Vancouver, BC - Jan 30th 2010: Street Fighter 4, Melee, Brawl

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Man this thread is so long it has its own plot twists now.

Anyways a few people have mentioned Melee players trying Brawl or Brawl players trying Melee, but doesn't the current plan of running Brawl and Melee simultaneously kind of remove the chance for those that want to enter into both tourneys? D:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I hope someone gets banned for this crap... where are you Victra?
Hey Manuel. Sorry, this isn't in the Canada forums so I'm not alerted when posts are reported around here.

So for the future, if anything happens again just send me a PM/VM as soon as possible. Again, I don't really have power around these parts so just report posts when needed and the tournament listings mods will be quick to act.
he's roflmaoing obviously
nah.

Metà

Smash Master
Man this thread is so long it has its own plot twists now.

Anyways a few people have mentioned Melee players trying Brawl or Brawl players trying Melee, but doesn't the current plan of running Brawl and Melee simultaneously kind of remove the chance for those that want to enter into both tourneys? D:
Nope. We've run both events at the same time before. You run into problems, like, for example, Melee players waiting for Brawl players to finish their matches, but sometimes it works. One time Superboom refused to play any Melee matches until Brawl singles was over, so it took quite a while for the tournament to finish. -.-

breez

Smash Ace
Nope. We've run both events at the same time before. You run into problems, like, for example, Melee players waiting for Brawl players to finish their matches, but sometimes it works. One time Superboom refused to play any Melee matches until Brawl singles was over, so it took quite a while for the tournament to finish. -.-
What do you think is the best way to fix this?

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Er, yes, this is what I'm saying. XD Having both tournaments run simultaneously would prevent people from entering both, and so basically I was asking if it's possible to have them separate but still have time for both :p

EDIT: OH wait I think I misinterpreted your post. It works but not well I think you're saying? XD

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Er, yes, this is what I'm saying. XD Having both tournaments run simultaneously would prevent people from entering both, and so basically I was asking if it's possible to have them separate but still have time for both :p

EDIT: OH wait I think I misinterpreted your post. It works but not well I think you're saying? XD
haha take me for example, XD can't play both tournaments... i usually can't even play 1 haha

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Sorry guys but it looks like the melee community will be hosting their own tournament on this day to make our melee tournament excellent ;)

This just doesn't seem to work out very well for us. If you want more details why just ask. ;)

breez

Smash Ace
Sorry guys but it looks like the melee community will be hosting their own tournament on this day to make our melee tournament excellent ;)

This just doesn't seem to work out very well for us. If you want more details why just ask. ;)

Understandable. The only disappointment is that we will have no cross-over players. Oh well :)

I still have your american dollar bill in my wallet - I was hoping to fight for it again!

edit: Devils advocate (I probably know the answer), but why?

unityole

Smash Lord
looks like UBC or CVGA "doesnt need melee community cause we are just whiners" and thats fine with us.
since none of us are members to the CVGA, each one of us actually pays 10 to enter the place. say 15 players show up thats 150 bucks.

no matter how u look at it, 150 dollars still over half even if rent cost say 250.
anyway this isnt going to work out, we love melee too much to have a bad tourney, and its been bad from OV1 to OV4 (no offense brian, CVGA put u in a tough position and I understand that) but maybe in the future we can come to an agreement on we treasure the game we love, then u'll probably understand why we need our current demands for things.

either me or Eric will host a big melee tournament on the same day, Jan 30th and this is final.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Understandable. The only disappointment is that we will have no cross-over players. Oh well :)

I still have your american dollar bill in my wallet - I was hoping to fight for it again!

edit: Devils advocate (I probably know the answer), but why?
haha don't worry we will fight for it again soon ;)

-well UBC is far for a lot of people who live in Surrey, Coquitlam, etc. and a lot of them don't have cars >_>

-the venue cost is also quite troublesome since the melee community is poor lol

-brawl players and melee players don't get along... (lol not really a reason just kidding)

-we like our tournament do be well done and not to be interfered with other tournaments

so yea there you go. Vincent and I will go to another Brawl tournament soon anyway where I will Money Match you then ;)

breez

Smash Ace
looks like UBC or CVGA "doesnt need melee community cause we are just whiners" and thats fine with us.
since none of us are members to the CVGA, each one of us actually pays 10 to enter the place. say 15 players show up thats 150 bucks.

no matter how u look at it, 150 dollars still over half even if rent cost say 250.
anyway this isnt going to work out, we love melee too much to have a bad tourney, and its been bad from OV1 to OV4 (no offense brian, CVGA put u in a tough position and I understand that) but maybe in the future we can come to an agreement on we treasure the game we love, then u'll probably understand why we need our current demands for things.

either me or Eric will host a big melee tournament on the same day, Jan 30th and this is final.
That makes sense I suppose. I don't really mind venue fees I guess - I suppose I feel that it is worth it even if the organization makes a couple of bucks because they have to set it all up. It doesn't really sound like they will make any money, however.

OV has not been particularly good for the Brawl scene either - but that is because the Brawl scene is (or was?) pretty much non-existent in BC, you guys already have a great melee community going. Hopefully we will be able to keep growing and getting better and better.

Anyway, I can relate to what you guys are saying. You want to have a kick-*** tournament playing a game you love and it kind of seems like you are being swept into a corner. I am sure this is not the way Brian meant it to be, as I am sure he has a lot on his plate.

I hope one day the BC Brawl/Melee communities can come together in harmony and be able to have fun, big events - I guess it will just take all of us working towards it.

I'm pretty sad I don't have Tahsis to introduce me to melee now :(

haha don't worry we will fight for it again soon ;)

-well UBC is far for a lot of people who live in Surrey, Coquitlam, etc. and a lot of them don't have cars >_>

-the venue cost is also quite troublesome since the melee community is poor lol

-brawl players and melee players don't get along... (lol not really a reason just kidding)

-we like our tournament do be well done and not to be interfered with other tournaments

so yea there you go. Vincent and I will go to another Brawl tournament soon anyway where I will Money Match you then ;)
Everything is understandable - maybe one day we can all be friends (doubtful, lololol).

I promise I will hold on to this dollar until we meet next - it is in my wallet as a constant reminder! It's my pride dollar!

breez

Smash Ace
Oh, and risking sounding like a gigantic ****, I just want to say I harbor no hard feelings about any of this. Unityole and I are probably fairly similar guys, which is possibly why we clashed so hard.

You can take this as an apology to the melee community in general from me. Sorry for being a **** guys <3

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
lol breez trismash tourneys did happen

it was only until trismash3 that barlw fell apart

and of course not

it just makes more time for the other tournaments...maybe lol

unityole

Smash Lord
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

I'm gonna be disappointed if this means the end of tourneys with both games :[
not true at all, i sometimes host melee + brawl tourney just for the attraction of good players from out of province or out of states. however I do not charge venue fee for events like these so there will probably be a lot more people that show up. it is also true that I am always short on TV and need help.

breez

Smash Ace
lol breez trismash tourneys did happen

it was only until trismash3 that barlw fell apart

and of course not

it just makes more time for the other tournaments...maybe lol
Was that just because the brawl scene died?

I mean, I would love to put in some group effort and get a trismash tourny going sometime in the future. I wouldn't even be opposed to the melee players setting the time schedule and venue fees :)

breez

Smash Ace
not true at all, i sometimes host melee + brawl tourney just for the attraction of good players from out of province or out of states. however I do not charge venue fee for events like these so there will probably be a lot more people that show up. it is also true that I am always short on TV and need help.
My group of friends and I have ~3-4 small TVs, and also some nice big lagless LCDs which we have shuttled around for some of our bigger gatherings. Obviously enough set-ups to go with them also.

I didn't know that you didn't charge venue, that's pretty kickass. You live in Surrey right? Where abouts?

breez

Smash Ace
maybe for barlw
I am actually not 100% sure on this, but apparently some types of LCDs lag, and some don't. Apparently ours doesn't, although I am really not sure if it does or does not with melee.

Somebody please point me in the direction of SFU Burnaby melee players :D

edit:

lmfao. yah there's no such thing as lagless LCD. Trust me.
Hmm, ok. I do not notice any difference with a CRT or our LCD screens whilst playing brawl, but like I said a minute ago, that could definitely be different for melee.

edit2: LFL half explained to me why his LCD didn't lag with brawl. I was pretty stoned and only half-listening, so I don't really have an explanation :p

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
I am actually not 100% sure on this, but apparently some types of LCDs lag, and some don't. Apparently ours doesn't, although I am really not sure if it does or does not with melee.

Somebody please point me in the direction of SFU Burnaby melee players :D

edit:

Hmm, ok. I do not notice any difference with a CRT or our LCD screens whilst playing brawl, but like I said a minute ago, that could definitely be different for melee.

edit2: LFL half explained to me why his LCD didn't lag with brawl. I was pretty stoned and only half-listening, so I don't really have an explanation :p
lol get stoned.

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
lmfao. yah there's no such thing as lagless LCD. Trust me.
Actually if you wanna take my word for it, that Asus that i told u about at OV3 is able to play lagless, it was deemed one of the few systems that can play lagless component by the guys at EVO 09' where u use a wii to play melee. Dunno if u remember but i think i had that convo with u at OV3

PS. Things seem to be quite the royal pain in the ***... making a tournament on the same day as mine seems to be more of a spit in the face than a plate releiver. The way you worded it seemed as though it was a planned fact that this should happen which i am all but happy about.

This is being made more into a competition for tournaments more than it is a place for good people to play a game they love... i don't get the point in trying to "split" people up.

breez

Smash Ace
Actually if you wanna take my word for it, that Asus that i told u about at OV3 is able to play lagless, it was deemed one of the few systems that can play lagless component by the guys at EVO 09' where u use a wii to play melee. Dunno if u remember but i think i had that convo with u at OV3
So are we still going to take manie in doubles?

PS. Things seem to be quite the royal pain in the ***... making a tournament on the same day as mine seems to be more of a spit in the face than a plate releiver. The way you worded it seemed as though it was a planned fact that this should happen which i am all but happy about.

This is being made more into a competition for tournaments more than it is a place for good people to play a game they love... i don't get the point in trying to "split" people up.
Yeaaah i'm going to have to go ahead and partially blame myself for being a **** to the melee guys. I think we are mostly cool now, so hopefully that isn't an issue anymore.

If myself and LFL helped in running both the Brawl and Melee brackets, and helped keep everything moving, would that:

a) Be ok with you Brian?

b) Possibly work for the melee guys?

I know the venue fee and distance is keeping some of the melee guys away - but I think we are looking at a pretty decent brawl turnout, and if the melee crew came it would be quite a smashfest.

Melee guys, are you set in stone on your new tourny, or can myself and others help accommodate you guys attending OV5?

Patooty

Smash Ace
IMO it'll be up to the melee hosters. If they want to host a separate melee event, then it's a no-brainer for the melee players.

It's nice of you guys to try to accomodate us, but when our choices are:
a)
$
Less distance to travel
Dedicated Melee event

b)
$$$
Longer travel distance
More time constraints
Un-dedicated melee event

..........yeah.........

And paying for 2 people for Overture is also quite expensive...
Venue fees: 16
Teams: 20
Singles: 30
Parking + travel: dunno
Total: ~70

Also, iirc, the last Overture was the most hyped melee event they ever had with over 40 people on the list of attendees. I think about 12 melee'ers showed, up, we ended up paying money to play with the people that we usually play with anyways.... With all this controversy, and low amount of attendees on the list, I don't know how this one is going to turn out...

After all that, the chance of a melee'er paying to play brawl will be even lower. Melee started as a grassroots community so there's a bunch of things that we're used to having, and that we can provide for ourselves. So when something comes along and tells us that they can provide the same service, under certain conditions, and for a fee, it's understandable that we would resist the change.

I hope that didn't come out wrong... Just telling it how it is....

Harrisburg

Smash Journeyman
yeah.. LOL it was the melee communities fault.
they started it, escalated it, escalated it, escalated it, and some got banned?
not saying you didnt have a part, im just saying they dragged you into it hahaha
at a certain point. i did wanna see the result of it, to see who was bluffing. (i have an idea who)

unityole

Smash Lord
yeah.. LOL it was the melee communities fault.
they started it, escalated it, escalated it, escalated it, and some got banned?
not saying you didnt have a part, im just saying they dragged you into it hahaha
at a certain point. i did wanna see the result of it, to see who was bluffing. (i have an idea who)
i was bluffing, thats why i lost with so many fuking chips last night to tiep and evan

we said we would go if the conditions met. me and eric have yet to receive a response from you or any of the representatives. you mentioned that the venue would probably be lowered to 8, theres also the thing where we asked for only 3 TVs (from your side) for melee events only, that we would also try to bring our own TVs and system. I also have PMed you and msged you on msn about having melee events start as early as noon / 1pm so we can get more events done, but I have yet to get an answer from you.

Excluding the venue condition, you pretty much run the rest of the events on your own. these last couple of requests are somthing you can decide, not CVGA. if you can get a big room with the same cost of a small classroom/ lecture, im sure we will have enough place for all of us (melee), and all of you (brawl + SF4) to run the tournaments.

Top Bottom