• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Snake does come back, and I really hope he does, I hope he's got his other "Snake" incarnations as costumes. I'm especially a fan of MGS1's sneaking suit and MGSV's Tiger Skin fatigues.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
You know, what's sad? There are still some people that want to replace Snake with another character. They think he looked out of place. Well, Smash is a crossover game and if they are ok with these guys getting in. (:4cloud::4bayonetta::4ryu::4corrin::4corrinf::4robinm::4robinf::4feroy::4sheik::4shulk::4lucina::4marth::4myfriends:) Then why not Snake? :snake: Replacing Snake with another character is like recasting an actor to replace another actor in a movie. Anyway, some people think that Simon Belmont should replace him. Well, how about this?

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
You know, what's sad? There are still some people that want to replace Snake with another character. They think he looked out of place. Well, Smash is a crossover game and if they are ok with these guys getting in. (:4cloud::4bayonetta::4ryu::4corrin::4corrinf::4robinm::4robinf::4feroy::4sheik::4shulk::4lucina::4marth::4myfriends:) Then why not Snake? :snake: Replacing Snake with another character is like recasting an actor to replace another actor in a movie. Anyway, some people think that Simon Belmont should replace him. Well, how about this?

The idea of anyone beside Big Boss replacing Snake is pure non sense. He wasn't there because he was the Konami rep, because such thing never existed, otherwise we wouldn't have both :4megaman::4ryu: and :4sonic::4bayonetta2:. Also Snake moveset isn't some generic militaristic weapons, they all originated in Metal Gear games, so the idea to give his moveset to someone from Advance Wars is quite dumb, and it would be a disservice for both the Snake fans and the AD ones.

Heck, I'm supporting THREE characters from Konami, Snake, Simon Belmont and Bomberman, since all of them are unique and huge icons in gaming.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can understand people who loved his moveset but not necessarily the character wanting that moveset back but Snake's moveset is so tailored towards his series that just giving it to someone else would look terribly out of place on them.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One thing I'd love for them to do is replace the drone from MGS2 with the Fulton Recovery System that Big Boss uses

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yo if Simon Belmont makes it in but Snake doesn’t you know how sad that’d be? It’d be like the opportunity was right there! Konami was involved and yet he’s not in? It’d be super weird.

I really hope both make it. We can have Ryu and Mega Man, Bayonetta and Sonic. There is no reason we can’t have Simon Belmont and Snake.

Assuming Vergeben is right in his leak of course. He did guess Base Goku and Base Vegeta for Dragonball FighterZ(waste of slots), but who knows.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yo if Simon Belmont makes it in but Snake doesn’t you know how sad that’d be? It’d be like the opportunity was right there! Konami was involved and yet he’s not in? It’d be super weird.

I really hope both make it. We can have Ryu and Mega Man, Bayonetta and Sonic. There is no reason we can’t have Simon Belmont and Snake.

Assuming Vergeben is right in his leak of course. He did guess Base Goku and Base Vegeta for Dragonball FighterZ(waste of slots), but who knows.
That's the thing. I think Simon getting in could actually help Snake's chances. I mean, sure, it's possible that they just get Simon but like you said that is an easy missed opportunity. Same company, veteran, beloved icon, it's a no brainer.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
That's the thing. I think Simon getting in could actually help Snake's chances. I mean, sure, it's possible that they just get Simon but like you said that is an easy missed opportunity. Same company, veteran, beloved icon, it's a no brainer.
It’s kind of what makes me doubt this leak. Like Konami is involved but the only character from them is Simon? Unless there is some internal reasoning for it, it just doesn’t make sense to me.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s kind of what makes me doubt this leak. Like Konami is involved but the only character from them is Simon? Unless there is some internal reasoning for it, it just doesn’t make sense to me.
You never know. Leaks are never black and white. Maybe his source told him those characters because that's who they knew. That doesn't necessarily mean that Snake isn't there, just that their source didn't know about him. Credible leaks are always shades of gray, usually.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You never know. Leaks are never black and white. Maybe his source told him those characters because that's who they knew. That doesn't necessarily mean that Snake isn't there, just that their source didn't know about him. Credible leaks are always shades of gray, usually.
Vergeben did admit that there could be more characters that he missed, but I feel like if you knew Belmont was coming, you’d also know about Snake too.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The thing is no party involved should be burdened or against Snakes re-inclusion.

-MGS is Konami's current flagship series, so having their current most iconic character in Smash would be beneficial with free advertising and revenue for signing a contract. Konami also showed signs of wanting Snake to return in the Ballot days, even tweeting a picture of a Snake fan made amiibo.
-Nintendo already worked with Konami last year (Bomberman R), so there is no hypothetical issue there.
-Kojima wanted Snake to return in Smash 4. Metal Gear is still his baby, he is even apparently talking to the director of the MGS movie. Why would he want to see his character prevented from duking it out with the other greats of gaming? Assuming Sakurai and Kojima are still buddies, the hypothetical scenario that Sakurai cut Snake to do a favor to Kojima after the falling out just doesn't make sense.
-Sakurai goes to great reaches at times to please fans. Snake probably did great on the ballot on veteran status alone. Assets could be reused from Brawl and very few would complain, so he doesn't have much reason to be against Snake.

I am more than welcome for Simon Belmont to enter the Smash Bros fray (despite only playing the NES trilogy and Super Castlevania 4), as he is also from a legendary series. But, to include him but not Snake would just be bizarre to me. That would be like Nintendo reaching out to Capcom for the rights to Leon Kennedy/Chris Redfield in Smash Bros, but not bothering getting the rights to Mega Man or Ryu again. I'm not saying I believe the leak, but as E3 approaches I hope more and more that the Smash trailer ends with a shot of a cardboard box on the battlefield and then the familiar codec ring.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
So, if he returns, will he be voiced by Kiefer, or David? I know that David did voiced Snake in an Ford Commercial that came out a few years ago. Also, do you think we will get his codecs back, if he return? I don't think we will get any new codecs with Roy Campbell. His Japanese voice actor sadly died a couple years ago. Kojima end up retiring the character to show respect for him. However, we could get new codecs with Mei Ling and Otacon.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So, if he returns, will he be voiced by Kiefer, or David? I know that David did voiced Snake in an Ford Commercial that came out a few years ago. Also, do you think we will get his codecs back, if he return? I don't think we will get any new codecs with Roy Campbell. His Japanese voice actor sadly died a couple years ago. Kojima end up retiring the character to show respect for him. However, we could get new codecs with Mei Ling and Otacon.
I think there may be slight push for Kiefer from Konami if Snake is designed around Big Boss, but even then I think it would be up to localization since Sakurai would likely be more concerned with the Japanese voices. NoA would probably pick up Hayter since he has been around as Snake longer and likely is easier/cheaper to get than Sutherland.

I can see codecs with Mei Ling and Otacon, and maybe reused codecs from Colonel. There is also the slight possibility of Big Boss, so maybe Kaz, Ocelot and Huey could be delivering codecs? Its possible, but I am far more inclined to believe they will go with Solid and friends for consistencies sake.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If codecs return, I really want Colonel Campbell's war advice for certain characters like Robin. They could get Toshio Furukawa who voiced him in Portable Ops to replace the late Takeshi Aono. Paul Eiding is still alive so at least us American fans wouldn't be faced with a voice actor change.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
David Hayter is the safe bet and the most preferred one to be honest.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Man, I really hope his sources are true. Snake and Simon Belmont are among my most wanted characters. If they also added Elma from Xenoblade X it would be my dream roster!
Same, Simon is my most wanted Newcomer so to have both Snake and Simon would be a dream come true.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So if Snake is coming back with the Ice Climbers and the whole Wii U roster, maybe Wolf, Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle and Ivysaur can come back too? Not sure about Pokémon Trainer because I don't want transformations coming back. But if codecs return, it'll be interesting to hear new calls about every opponent whether they are newcomers that Snake haven't met yet or veterans that improved since Brawl that Snake would need a new strategy for.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What does that mean?
meme
Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Every night, I can feel my DACUSes… and my throw loops… even my jank. The main I’ve lost… the Smash I’ve lost… won’t stop hurting… It’s like they’re all still there.
You feel it too, don't you?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If that happens. IF THAT HAPPENS. I will never stop playing this ****ing game. Swear, this will absolutely be my favorite game of all time. God I really really hope this dude is legit now. Simon AND Snake?! Literally all that would be left is Bomberman and that's fine by me if he's left out, wouldn't even bother me no matter how big a Bomberman fan I am.

Trying not to be hype but oof, now it'll be real hard.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If that happens. IF THAT HAPPENS. I will never stop playing this ****ing game. Swear, this will absolutely be my favorite game of all time. God I really really hope this dude is legit now. Simon AND Snake?! Literally all that would be left is Bomberman and that's fine by me if he's left out, wouldn't even bother me no matter how big a Bomberman fan I am.

I agree it’s hard not to be hyped!

It’s also the same source who told him Simon and Icies too, so those three are bundled together pretty much.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I'm not bothered to go through the guy's history and check whether he's reliable though some other posters intimated that he's got a few things wrong before. It does come across as a little contrived and somebody could use a small scale leak comprised of a few guesses to build their leaker profile.

Ice Climbers are a safe choice to throw into any leak. Ridley, though a gamble, is a very popular choice who is seen as overdue. Simon Belmont seems like a "logical'" choice after Mega Man. Then realising after the fact that Konami's involvement implies Snake should be back in it, you throw Snake in too. No cuts could be an extrapolation from the idea that it will essentially be an enhanced port. Just getting some of it right might be enough to build your credibility. Honestly I'm just looking to be sceptical here. I'd really like for it to be true.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The most frustrating thing about Vergeben is that his biggest leak break was Prime 4 being developed by Namco and, although it's almost certainly right, we won't know if that's true for certain until at least E3. However, if that's true then that means that Simon and Snake ARE definitely in because he stated that the same source that gave him the Prime 4 info is the same one that gave him the Smash 5 info. Considering Smash is very likely also developed by Namco it's safe to say that this guy has some insight into Namco. I also think he leaked some Dragon Bal FighterZ stuff which, wouldn't you know it, is published by Namco-Bandai. Anyways guys, we got 12 days, Diamond Dogs. 12.

Heads up though. Vergeben. It means Forgive in German.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Yep

And he also specifically said

Ridley is the E3 reveal that's how to know if it's fake or not

If Ridley is not shown verge is a liar

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The most frustrating thing about Vergeben is that his biggest leak break was Prime 4 being developed by Namco and, although it's almost certainly right, we won't know if that's true for certain until at least E3. However, if that's true then that means that Simon and Snake ARE definitely in because he stated that the same source that gave him the Prime 4 info is the same one that gave him the Smash 5 info. Considering Smash is very likely also developed by Namco it's safe to say that this guy has some insight into Namco. I also think he leaked some Dragon Bal FighterZ stuff which, wouldn't you know it, is published by Namco-Bandai. Anyways guys, we got 12 days, Diamond Dogs. 12.

Heads up though. Vergeben. It means Forgive in German.
Yup, he did leak some FighterZ info. He leaked that Base Goku and Base Vegeta would be DLC, and those two were found in the game files. It’s actually funny, because I wanted him to be fake because I hate that Arcsystem is wasting slots on Goku and Vegeta again, but now I want him to be real so that Snake and Simon can return.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He was the first to claim Broly was DLC too, and that wasn't something you could guess at the time for such a popular character.

He's got info wrong, but everything Bamco related he's been spot on with. This is as good as it gets for good ol' David.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He's such a weird case. Like, at times, he states stuff that's correct. (Base Goku/Vegeta, MP4, didn't he also leak the TMNT for Injustice, not that they're related...) but then he just seems to add random stuff on at times that's false.

Because I'm old and dead inside, I'm just going to say **** it and believe he's telling the truth on this all being from his same source.

Snake and Simon Belmont, and Ridley at E3, as well as no cuts, and who knows who else, would make this the absolute best Smash game.

And I won't accept Kiefer as Snake in Smash. David Hayter is probably way easier to get, and the much more popular option among fans. David Hayter getting the shaft for MGS5 still makes me angry to this day.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s nice to finally see Snake in nearly all of the recent roster posts. Makes me hopeful for the final outcome and makes me happy to see people finally see the merit to Snake’s inclusion.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
It’s nice to finally see Snake in nearly all of the recent roster posts. Makes me hopeful for the final outcome and makes me happy to see people finally see the merit to Snake’s inclusion.
Yeah! Especially compared to how he was viewed in Smash Bros 4, where most people thought he wasn't going to happen [correct] or he was undeserving for Smash [why would he even be in Brawl then]. Even if the leaks are wrong, they have shifted the window of discussion in Snake's favor. Now more people are talking about Snake, which could mean more demand for our shifty dude to return. And that's a cool deal.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Sonic was special when he was the only third-party veteran in Smash 4. But if every character from Smash 4 will appear in Smash Switch even the third-parties like Cloud and Mega Man, Snake's gotta come back because he was the one who opened those third-party floodgates in the first place. Like how Marth's appearance in Melee got the formerly Japan only Fire Emblem series to get worldwide releases, Snake has shown that anyone can get into Smash whether they are Nintendo-owned or not. Sonic got into Brawl late in development and the demand that got Sonic in couldn't have happened without Snake. He's the original third-party Smash has got so he should get in. Smash 4 didn't even have a trophy or anything representing Metal Gear or Konami.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
It was Snake's turn to be rated by source gaming.

Their reasoning for Snake's exclusion in smash 4 is kinda flawed though.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It was Snake's turn to be rated by source gaming.

Their reasoning for Snake's exclusion in smash 4 is kinda flawed though.

Yeah. Also I would have preferred to have Spazzy_D Spazzy_D as the host, since he is the one who did Bomberman and Simon Belmont (and is quite fair with his final scores).
Also Snake isn't as requested as Wolf?! Where are they even looking, he is just as request if not more.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yeah, the not as requested as wolf was a little iffy, but they've done enough polls themselves that I assume that's where they were drawing from for that comment. Not mentioning the Konami collapse for the reason he wasn't in the game or even as a con for him coming back screams personal bias about the issue to me though. Like it's an issue well known enough that you'd mention it unless you aggressively thought it had nothing to do with it, which is unbecoming of these videos.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I don't buy that "Konami collapse" or "Kojima hates Konami" when Kojima himself said they let him do whatever he want , he likes them and Konami likes him. They allow him to work on a Metal Gear movie as evident when he made clear he makes public meetings with the metal gear movie director, Jordan Vogt-Roberts and Konami allows it instead of preventing it, their involvement with the movie and cancelling the Metal Gear movie to spite which they would if they hate them so much. It's as equivalent as Square Enix suddenly waking up and getting drunk and deciding they hate their Golden Boy Tetsuya Nomura even though they love him as evident when they give Nomura special credits such as headlining "Character Design: Tetsuya Nomura" and allowing him to work on other games such as granting Tetsuya Takahashi's permission for Nomura's help in Xenoblade 2. If you put in an "immense, massive, in-depth, Metal-Gear surpassing analysis" you would notice inconsistencies with this "stunt" they are pulling. I sooner trust Joakim Mogren and his snake oil that I would play as Solid Snake throughout Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, then whatever Konami and Kojima are pulling.

Sakurai: "Those third-party characters are huge icons of their respective companies, so such an opportunity is hard to come by. That being said, now that Smash has grown into a well-known franchise, the creators recognize the merits of allowing us to use their characters, so negotiations have tended to go rather smoothly."
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

https://twitter.com/konami/status/620645208238075904?lang=en
https://twitter.com/KonamiUK/status/620529443598151680
https://twitter.com/konamieu/status/620494788274618368
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-10-konami-continues-overall-growth-with-mobile-focus
https://honeysanime.com/top-10-pachinko-anime-games-best-recommendations/
https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pr/business/pachislot.html
http://store.steampowered.com/app/601510/YuGiOh_Duel_Links/
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/0...arking-hopes-possible-mystical-ninja-revival/
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/03/10/konami-nintendo-switch-games/
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/03/17/gamescom-cd-projekt-red-bethesda-full-list/
https://gematsu.com/2018/02/busou-shinki-new-game-project-announced
http://justpause.us/2017/02/28/a-bombastic-super-bomberman-r-interview/
https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/981010788235137025/photo/1
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGam...ima_was_never_fired_and_konami_was_an_inside/
https://twitter.com/Konami/status/983833091973177344
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ontra-movie-and-tv-series-announced-by-konami
Hideo Kojima has wanted to make a game focusing on The Boss and the Cobra Unit for a while. The Cobra Unit popped up every now and then such as appearing in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e-to-make-a-metal-gear-game-starring-the-boss
https://www.vg247.com/2011/12/14/mgs5-the-boss-cobras-one-of-several-ideas-says-kojima/
https://gamerant.com/metal-gear-solid-the-boss-rising-revengeance-sequel/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168644-horizon-zero-dawn/75094277
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-17-konami-announced-a-new-castlevania-game
https://www.konami.com/games/eu/en/topics/14241/
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/04/super-bomberman-r-may-getting-sort-multimedia-expansion/
https://www.konami.com/games/us/en/topics/998/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/702700/Super_Bomberman_R/
http://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...the-metal-gear-solid-movie-is-coming-20180424
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/03/konami-planning-for-next-large-scale-metal-gear-solid
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1-4-Metal-Gear-Solid-I-IV/dp/1506705812/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Metal-Gear-Solid-I-IV/dp/1506705812
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1-4-Metal-Gear-Solid-I-IV/dp/1506705812
https://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=30690
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/3001-445/The-Art-of-Metal-Gear-Solid-I-IV-HC
https://www.destructoid.com/dark-ho...-collecting-yoji-shinkawa-s-work-462257.phtml
https://www.dualshockers.com/metal-...comics/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
https://imgtc.com/i/CMLlZRb.jpg

https://imgtc.com/i/pHHb7Fx.png

https://imgtc.com/i/uKezqib.jpg

https://imgtc.com/i/J43VSA8.png

A podcast of someone working on Death Stranding said there is supposed to be a huge information blowout not just a trailer

Last edited:

Abade

Smash Apprentice
Top Bottom