• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
I would've been there but I had something else to go to. I'm still definitely interested in smash (both Brawl and melee). As for rotation, I forgot about that, might be a good idea since we also have some Wiimote users .

I should be able to come next week so I'll see you guys there. I've been playing a lot of Mario lately and I might just cave and play a high tier (MK or Wolf), so there should be some good games. Mario's new cape mechanics = ****.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'll try to bring my brother and some buddies next Friday (Jan and Jobin again). My brother especially. He's learning all the ins and outs of Gay and Watch and it's starting to show. I might have to drop Bowser so that my Samus and Lucas don't fall too far behind.

Cbone: I'm not sure if you were there or not for the epic battle on the Bridge of Eldin between my Lucas and Cameron's Twilight Link... Either way, in it I started getting into the habit of catching those pesky bombs so you'll have to go all SAUS on my Lucas next time (all of those funky bomb tricks he has...). That Bridge of Eldin battle was truely epic... especially the ending...

Letterbomb: You should definitely do the whole PM Fogel thing. It'll be fun to play against another Wolf (my brother plays Wolf as well sometimes). Thus far everybody seems to have a different main which makes it pretty interesting.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I would've been there but I had something else to go to. I'm still definitely interested in smash (both Brawl and melee). As for rotation, I forgot about that, might be a good idea since we also have some Wiimote users .

I should be able to come next week so I'll see you guys there. I've been playing a lot of Mario lately and I might just cave and play a high tier (MK or Wolf), so there should be some good games. Mario's new cape mechanics = ****.
Good to hear. Can you explain what you mean about Mario's cape? Also, whatever happened to Ninjachu?

I'll try to bring my brother and some buddies next Friday (Jan and Jobin again). My brother especially. He's learning all the ins and outs of Gay and Watch and it's starting to show. I might have to drop Bowser so that my Samus and Lucas don't fall too far behind.

Cbone: I'm not sure if you were there or not for the epic battle on the Bridge of Eldin between my Lucas and Cameron's Twilight Link... Either way, in it I started getting into the habit of catching those pesky bombs so you'll have to go all SAUS on my Lucas next time (all of those funky bomb tricks he has...). That Bridge of Eldin battle was truely epic... especially the ending...

Letterbomb: You should definitely do the whole PM Fogel thing. It'll be fun to play against another Wolf (my brother plays Wolf as well sometimes). Thus far everybody seems to have a different main which makes it pretty interesting.
More people for next week sounds good. I'm interested to see your brother's G&W especially after all the stories you've told us. That Bridge of Eldin battle ending was pretty funny, I never saw it coming!

Also, Letterbomb's already gotten in touch with me.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Oh, and no Fogel, I learned about the Samus armour shedding from an earlier post (before the game came out) on the DOJO. It's pretty neat but I prefer armour Samus, at least for now. Nevertheless, it's always fun to change in the middle of a battle, even if it means losing a layer of skin on your thumbs from mashing the plus pad so quickly. So far I haven't been able to get Ike to shed his armour and turn into Roy though. :(

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Ninjachu is still terrorizing noobs, but since I've played against good people so little with him I haven't been using him so much incase I develop bad habits. I'm trying to work on incorporating his dair's nifty properties, but I need more play time against good people to work on that.

Mario's cape is really interesting because it has this odd property to it. It still reflects things that hit the cape, but they added a little something special to it when you use it on character recoveries. Basically if it's used on a character that is recovering (like Wolf or Shiek), it'll turn them around (it's REALLY funny on Zelda), except that you don't need to cape them when they're actually moving, you just need to cape them at any point in time during the frames of their recovery animation and maybe even a little before. Like if Zelda is recovering and starts to wave her arms, if I cape her then, she will continue to wave her arms, go into the puff of smoke, and then teleport into the deathwall, away from the stage. Or how Wolf kinda pauses when he's using his Up B, if I cape him then (or during the actual Up B), when he's moving it'll be in the opposite direction.

And do tell about this epic Eldin battle lol

Fogel

Smash Lord
OK, I'll try to re-tell the story in as epic a fashion as possible.

Harold picks his standard Lucas, and me being the random guy I am decide to play Link (not the Toon variety), with my epic Blue mail on. Maybe if I had been smarter and chosen the Red mail, I would have been immune to all those PK fires being thrown out, but alas, I chose the Blue anyway. Rather than choosing a normal, non-epic level, Harold suggested we play on Bridge of Eldin, because bridge battles are always more epic than non-bridge battles. I, of course, agree.

The match starts out, I'm throwing lots of bombs, boomerangs, and arrows in a valiant attempt to beat out the mass amounts of PK fires coming my way. However, Harold has skills and catches all the bombs, and PK fires most of the boomerangs and arrows away, making my range spam not very effective. In the mean time, I'm eating a decent share of PK fires, as well as usually being on the losing end of our few close-range battles. This goes back and forth around the bridge for a couple of minutes, and as time goes on the gap between our percentages widens, and not in my favour.

Eventually, we're both down to our last stock. Harold is at 2% or so, while I'm at about 80%. None of my projectiles were working so well, and it was hard to get in for some sword action, so there wasn't much hope for my victory. Right about this time, something important had happened on the stage; a bomb was just set in the middle of the bridge (not my bomb, one of the ones that blows up part of the bridge). Honestly, at this point I just didn't want to fall into the pit, so I threw a boomerang and bomb across at Lucas, and went to be to the right of the bridge bomb. The bridge bomb explodes, and there's a big hole between us now. Harold, seeing that I'm so far away, shoots a PK Thunder at me. I see the PK Thunder coming, and focus on dodging it, not paying attention to Lucas himself.

A second later, I hear Harold yell "NOOOOOO!!!" and look over at Lucas to see why he would be yelling that. By some streak of dumb luck, the boomerang I threw initially had made it past Lucas. Now, the boomerang was coming back to me, the tornado pulling Lucas into the pit! He was unable to react to it because he was stuck controlling that PK Thunder. I'm in shock for a second; I really was not expecting to win that battle. If I hadn't thrown that boomerang, or he never shot that PK Thunder, or the bridge hadn't happened to blow up when it did, none of this would have happened. It was a total fluke win on my part, but definitely a very epic way to win!

Dice

Smash Lord
Ninjachu is still terrorizing noobs, but since I've played against good people so little with him I haven't been using him so much incase I develop bad habits. I'm trying to work on incorporating his dair's nifty properties, but I need more play time against good people to work on that.

Mario's cape is really interesting because it has this odd property to it. It still reflects things that hit the cape, but they added a little something special to it when you use it on character recoveries. Basically if it's used on a character that is recovering (like Wolf or Shiek), it'll turn them around (it's REALLY funny on Zelda), except that you don't need to cape them when they're actually moving, you just need to cape them at any point in time during the frames of their recovery animation and maybe even a little before. Like if Zelda is recovering and starts to wave her arms, if I cape her then, she will continue to wave her arms, go into the puff of smoke, and then teleport into the deathwall, away from the stage. Or how Wolf kinda pauses when he's using his Up B, if I cape him then (or during the actual Up B), when he's moving it'll be in the opposite direction.

And do tell about this epic Eldin battle lol

I'm pretty sure that was also in melee? I know that if you caped fox or falco during the start up of their up B then they would up B in the opposite way, however if they pressed a direction again right after getting caped (still during the start up animation), then they would continue in whatever direction they pressed.... Unless they changed that and thats what you mean

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's kinda hard to explain. But not only is the timing far wider, but the cape's just different. Like if a person jumps straight up and you cape them, they go flying in the direction that you cape'd. And there's a funny wavedash type thing called capedashing or somesuch. It's only really useful on Battlefield (it requires platforms) but it'll open up some interesting movement capabilities for Mario.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Neat video. Most of the time Mario's opponents were just being stupid, rolling into smashes and such, but there certainly were some nice FLUDD moments. That Dedede one was pretty funny.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Speaking of DDD's, I might be switching to him, I no longer find Snake fun to play since all I do is sheild grab and jabs. right now, I really don't know, but DDD is fun. He has the power to throw minons at people, that has to hold to something.

Damax

Smash Lord
Speaking of DDD's, I might be switching to him, I no longer find Snake fun to play since all I do is sheild grab and jabs. right now, I really don't know, but DDD is fun. He has the power to throw minons at people, that has to hold to something.
learn to use grenade, mines and wavesmash.... and seriously TILTS

DDD's worst chaingrab, back air. that's all folks.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
You can't shield grab a PK Fire and jabbing it results in the blast hurting Snake. Don't worry, Lucas will make Snake fun again. :p

A while ago I was feeling the same way about Lucas that you seem to be feeling about Snake - that you only end up doing one or two things again and again and it's not terribly entertaining after a while. However, my brother ended up adapting and now he forces me to use a very wide variety of moves or risk being predictable and then punished (which still ends up happening...). If all you do is sheild grab and jab, you'll eventually get overly predictable and punished for it.

That being said, variety is still always nice. I don't think anybody plays as ALL of the characters or just ONE character. Everybody has their mains and their secondaries and possible tertiaries. At least, I certainly do. For me it's:

main: Lucas

secondaries: Samus/Zamus, Bowser, and Marth

tertiaries: Ike, Yoshi (somehow. I hate him... but love him...), Snake, Donkey Kong, Falco, Toon Link and Captain Fabulous.

The problem with Smash is that I like too many characters and thus I suck because I play so many of them. :dizzy: ...except Peach and Mario... for whatever reason I really hate those two and refuse to play as them...

Dedede's really fun but I don't like the sound effect from his mallet. I mean, c'mon, it's a giant mallet; it shouldn't sound so weak. I don't care if it's a one hit ko that also causes 999% damage; if a move sounds weak, it IS weak!

Fogel

Smash Lord
I think you should keep Snake around, at least for slower characters. I have the same kind of problems when I play Pit against fast people; it feels like I can't play my game.

learn to use grenade, mines and wavesmash.... and seriously TILTS

DDD's worst chaingrab, back air. that's all folks.
He knows how to do all those things, trust me.

SensFan

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I got three questions:

Which part of Ottawa do you all meet in?
Roughly how old are you guys?
Are you all, like, super good?

:)

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Yeah, PM Fogel for his address and such. It's near the cemetery on Baseline.

I'm 22 or 23 (I seriously can't remember) but most are younger.

Good? That's always a relative thing, no? At the Smashfest we're usually pretty equal. If you're 'super good' I'll be very eager to play against you - hopefully I'll learn something new. If you're not good at all, we'll do what we can to help you improve. They're all pretty welcoming there.

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
my melee falco dominates all!! hahahhahaha jk lol. Yea i'm soon to be 18. While we consider ourselves to be decent i guarantee that there are lots of people better than us =P. But we're still pro!

SensFan

Smash Cadet
Interesting. Well me and my friend are both 20 coming up on 21. I guess I was afraid everyone who plays this game would be 12-13.

I have been playing Brawl for all of 5 days (only just got home to my Wii). So no, I am not "super good". But I played Melee enough to be competent. I'll probably improve my game a bit more before I try to play any of you pros.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
The smashfest's are mostly brawl, but occasionally we play some melee, but anyone new is welcome to join.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Interesting. Well me and my friend are both 20 coming up on 21. I guess I was afraid everyone who plays this game would be 12-13.

I have been playing Brawl for all of 5 days (only just got home to my Wii). So no, I am not "super good". But I played Melee enough to be competent. I'll probably improve my game a bit more before I try to play any of you pros.
Haha, I still find it funny seeing "thug black guys" whip out the ol' purple controller and sit down to own people with Pichu :p Our youngest is BC AL (14?) but he's not around all that often 'cause of parents/school.

I would say our skill range ranges from decent/good casual to decent/good tourney goers. Fogel went to a tourney and came 7th (in Canada?) (lmao at someone counterpicking his Shiek with Bowser... Too good). So we definitely have some good competition here.

We're all friendly and well-mannered, so even if you are quite bad, it's not a problem. We can help show you the ropes, show you some moves, etc. We generally play 3 stock matches on neutral/neutral-custom stages but are open to anything.

Fogel, if we have this many people coming, we might want to look for more space :p

We (Fogel, CBone, and myself) also play some StarCraft! :psycho::psycho:

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
my melee falco dominates all!! hahahhahaha jk lol. Yea i'm soon to be 18. While we consider ourselves to be decent i guarantee that there are lots of people better than us =P. But we're still pro!
<333

Move to Toronto lollll. ]: @ the fact that we havn't played. Does Phrozn still play?

****it I wish you guys could come by to Grmo's tournament D:

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Teleportation isn't possible... >_>

Any kindergarten kid with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and calculus knows that... Sheesh guys.

Don't make me divide by zero! I'm warning you! I'll do it!

Fogel

Smash Lord
Hey Cameron, I won't be going to Smashfest this Friday since my class is throwing a graduation party. I'll see if I can send my little brother there in my stead though.
That's too bad :( I am interested to play against your brother though!

I would say our skill range ranges from decent/good casual to decent/good tourney goers. Fogel went to a tourney and came 7th (in Canada?) (lmao at someone counterpicking his Shiek with Bowser... Too good). So we definitely have some good competition here.

Fogel, if we have this many people coming, we might want to look for more space :p

We (Fogel, CBone, and myself) also play some StarCraft! :psycho::psycho:
I'm not really 'good' at melee. I never placed well at any EC tourneys.

As for smashfest space, if we consistently get around 12-13 people I can consider moving things up to the main floor. Last week only 6 people showed though, which works fine in the basement. Also, the basement is 3-5 degrees colder than the upstairs, which is nice during the summer.

I'm Back In Ottawaaaaaaaa

oh, and happy bday dan
Yay Mikey!

Does anyone know of any talks of their being a smash tournament at all this summer?
Here's a deal for you guys: get Brian to get me back Lunar 2, and I'll look into a ToS5. You guys are ignoring all my MSNs and posts, so maybe offering a tourney will get things done. And yes, I'm completely serious about this.

Dice

Smash Lord
Don't get mad at me cam, i tell him, he just doesn't do ****. I can't force him to do anything, he's a lazy *******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom