• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

Charlesz

Smash Champion
What's this project m thing? EXPLAIN YOURSELF USING 15 WORDS OR LESS. DO YOU ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE?

Pew pew. I've been playing a lot of melee with randy and derek. I feel like I'm getting a lot better! I want to play smash! :(

And apparently my shiek is pretty good now.
Sheik ain't that great.

buenob

Smash Lord
we will have a marvel3 setup :) come by anytime around/after 7pm (official start time is 7) for some beers and gaming talk :) (i'm sure there will be brawl/melee/ projectM discussion too)

Charlesz

Smash Champion
lol whatevs
is there a smashfest this week? Pound V just hyped me to play some more
Yo al can you change the thread title and promote the next ottaWA gaming monthly?

Details:
Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 11:00am
St. Anthony's Banquet Hall, Ottawa, ON

it's for brawl/melee. Thanks in advance.

PS: I will be able to host this week, but it will most likely be 1 v 1's.

tect

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, heard about the turnout yesterday and to say the least:
I AM DISAPPOINT

I'll admit that my primary reason for not going was because I could not even attempt to guess at a turnout, which prompted me to believe that it would be low. Having a monthly tournament downtown in your city where the set-ups are taken care of, with a great venue and dedicated staff, and only having single digit numbers? (I don't want to post the actual number of "entrants" I was quoted for fear of alienating this community).

I hope that I don't come across as too harsh, but I want to highlight the fact that Ottawa has the potential to be a hub for competitive Melee, as it is in between both Toronto and Montreal, and is in close proximity to Kingston, which, apparently, has a much more active community than Ottawa, despite our population.

Now, that being said, I would like to make sure that the GO March monthly is a success for Melee! Kingston will most definitely be represented by a minimum of 5 strong players, and potentially up to 10. Furthermore, Toronto has expressed strong interest to me about attending, and bringing players such as unknown522, raynex, kk, ministry, idea, i.b. etc. etc. Not only that, but Montreal smashers would love the chance to have a strong day of competition with Ontario's elite, so the usual suspects would be in tow ie.e kage, CHESTERR01 =O, pkm, vwins, pest, fatuik pending their transportation arrangements.

However, OTTAWA MUST BE REPRESENTED, otherwise this would be a fail-event =(
As a community, we owe it to the game to keep it alive, and it's a sorry state of things when an amazing event is set-up by those OUTSIDE of the community a FOR OUR community and there is virtually no attendance.

tl;dr Let's make the March GO Monthly ****, and bring in the best talent that EC Canada has to offer! The impetus is on your community!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Montreal didn't attend this month because we took away the extra guaranteed pay-out (Gaming Ottawa can't afford to do it every time)
We didn't get any randoms, most likely because we noobstomped them last month.
All the hype gravitated toward MvC3.
I didn't sign up for Melee because I suck at it and I don't want to waste my money.

tect

Smash Journeyman
I understand, don't worry about that. I just think that GO is a great opportunity to practice, develop, and expand. Could I get an idea from O-Town that if Ktown came in full force, and if Toronto/Montreal attend that we can count on a good roster of players from you guys?

wizkid

Smash Rookie
I just moved to Ottawa from Toronto and will be looking to smash (Melee of course) at some point before I go into withdrawal. I main Samus and have competitive skill.

this GO seems like it's got a good thing going, can't wait to check it out

long live melee!!!!!

thewiz

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Welcome to the community wizkid, smashfests are hosted everyday 2 weeks on friday from 4 to pretty much midnight and PND's house ( pm him for direction ). There may be a smashfest this week, pnd?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
After PP's win I would of assumed that more people would play.. but I guess it's not the case everywhere.

Last week, I played at least 36-40 hours of smash during 6 days in a row and then I didn't play the next day and then once again I'm playing 3 days in a row with usually always different people. If you want to keep the scene alive then effort needs to be done constantly. I'm doing what I can on my side. =P Letting the wind blow you like a balloon meaning only playing when you feel like it is unacceptable for this reason. =)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Here was Melee's turn-out in February: Cman and Gpwn. Nobody else signed up. Only one other showed up to play Melee, Arsenic, but he left before the tourney started.

wizkid

Smash Rookie
that's really too bad..where's the melee love? people just playing brawl now instead? or done with smash all together?

just got to ottawa after being in toronto since october and the scene is thriving. played a couple tournaments run by a local game shop and turnout for melee was around 30 each time. it's a bigger city for sure but people are really diggin melee as much as ever. i don't know any smashers here so i can't say anything about the scene but count me as a plus 1 and a for sure show up for any tournaments there are going on.

whats the demographic of melee players here? in toronto from what i saw older players were playing melee and the younger guys went more towards brawl. i'm 24 and going back to uni at carleton in the fall so i'll be here for some years. i've played melee with my friends since high school so i don't think i'll be quitting any time soon. i improved a lot just from playing people in toronto and hoped i could see some stiff competition here.

at least you guys are still holdin it down with the smashfests even if the tournament turnouts aren't there. they'll be back.....who can stay away from melee for that long

Top Bottom