• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Presents: Charity Gaming I (April 23rd, 48 Entrants - $290 to Charity!)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Thank you everyone who made it out to the event. We'll be running Charity Gaming II sometime in May. For this tournament, $290 dollars will be donated to children who are suffering from terminal illnesses via video games, video games consoles, books, movies, board games, and any special requests they make. Thank you to everyone who helped and donated - we will detail exactly where the money is going during this summer when the OSI club makes the trips out to the hospitals.

We hope everyone had a good time at the event. In all there were 48 entrants (8 pools of 6 people). We had 16 TVs dedicated for pools and an additional 4 TVs used for friendlies. We also had three projectors running which helped make the tournament really organized (one for announcements, one for the livestream, and one for the bracket). We also got the Coke Grant, so hopefully everyone enjoyed the treat of free Coke and bottled water (and donuts).

Singles Bracket

Singles Results (48 Entrants, $240 in Prizes - $240 to Charity)

1: Drephen ($115)
2: Big R ($50)
3: 1der ($35)
4: Greg ($20)
5: DippnDots ($10)
5: Dobs ($10)
7: Reside
7: Stinkoman
9: MX
9: Zdawg
9: Quivo
9: Paradigm
13: Shadow Phoenix
13: Kevin Zewey
13: AlphaZealot
13: Ty
17: Dane Owens
17: Booker
17: Sky
17: CFerris32
17: Ralis
17: Duck
17: Derrik Neimeister
17: Drillbit Sammy
25: JT
25: Chris Ham
25: D-Line
25: Michael Van Baulen
25: Reed
25: Side
25: Flash
25: Danny Brown
---Pools Cutoff---
33: Jack Davis
33: Chuck
33: James Burns
33: NPizzle
33: drak
33: Yen
33: X Charge
33: EricHimself
41: Riku
41: Aesir
41: Riley Nicklin
41: Exlax
41: RaSmatasmus
41: Cosmonaut
41: of10
41: TSpice

Doubles Bracket

Doubles Results (10 Teams, $50 in Prizes - $50 to Charity)
1: MilkSteak (Big R & Drephen) ($25.00)
2: Abbottd Costello (Greg & 1der) ($15.00)
3: Sarah Palin's Alaska (Dobs & AlphaZealot) ($10.00)
4: The Abusement Park (Eric Howell & Zeshawn Qadir)
5: Icy Hot (Paradigm & Reside)
5: Exec Team (Ray Tan & Keven Zeng)
7: The Brotatos (DrillbitSammy & CFerris32)
7: Team Purple Awesome (Allie Janneck & Mike Joyce)
9: Chocolate Thunder (Miguel & Keshawn)
9: Glittering Gold Brothers (Derrick Neimeister & Ruth Rin)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
WOO! LAST PLACE FTW.
I thought I did pretty decent for my first tourney using pichu though ^^

Thanks for hosting the tourney, it was allot of fun, I'll definitely try to be at any other tourneys you guys host. Also, Az, my boy Ralis woulda got you if he didn't go marth :'(

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Shoutout Time

Drephen- Good **** man. Sweeping every set and not even dropping a stock in pools.
BigR- Bringing sexy back!
Dobs- I got you next time so you better watch out.
CFerris32- Nice teaming with you. We made a good run.
Duck- You swept me in pools. WTF bro?
Aesir- Nice Pichu. Turns out there was actually another Pichu main there.
Greg- Peach... :urg:

To all of the members of OSI- Great tournament. It exceeded my expectations in quality of it being run and my placing. Already confirming my attendance of the next one.

Commentary was really fun. Drephen, Greg, and I make a decent commentary team.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Yea, I wish I could have stayed longer to do some more friendlies and stuff, but we had to go, its like a 2 and a half hour drive so yea.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
1: Drephen ($115)
:sheik:

2: Big R ($50)
:falco:

4: Greg ($20)
:peach: :fox:

5: DippnDots ($10)
:marth: :ganondorf:

5: Dobs ($10)
:marth: :fox:

7: Reside
:popo:

9: MX
:yoshi2: :falco:

9: Quivo
:falco:

9: Zdawg
:sheik: :marth:

13: Ty
:ganondorf:

13: Kevin Zewey
:sheik:

17: CFerris32
:fox: :falco:

17: Derrik Neimeister
:ganondorf: :falcon:

17: Duck
:ganondorf:

17: Drillbit Sammy
:luigi2:

25: JT
:link2:

25: Chris Ham
:pikachu2:

33: EricHimself
:fox:

41: Aesir
:pichu:

These are all the ones I saw/heard AZ

QUIVO

Smash Master
I used all Falco, and went Fox once against 1der.

Good **** at this tournament. I had fun, and it was an awesome venue. I would come again.

Dobs

Smash Journeyman
Very organized tournament staff, plenty of set ups, and a large venue made this tournament amazing. I think region-wide events could easily be held here, just need to spread the hype.

Drephen - Stop breaking the game down to like 4 moves, you make owning me look so **** easy :(.
Bigr - Karaoke king aka Big i don't get "Who's on First."
Greg - I'm sad I didn't get to play you 1v1.
1der - Fun friendlies, I've already started implementing stuff I saw you do.
DW - You can call me anything but cute.
Reside - Good IC's as always.
Stink - Unfortunate set, next time will be a lot closer.
Quivo - Crazy close match.
Digm - The less I'm in Columbus, the less pretty I play.
AZ - Good **** in teams, still pretty good for not playing the game in so long.

To everyone else I played, gg's. I hope the next events will have at least 2x the amount of entrants, the staff and venue definitely have the resources and organization for it. Thanks for hosting this and I plan on making it to as many of these as I can.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
Great tourney overall :) Everyone was nice and friendly. Personal shoutouts

Aesir, Flash- Thanks for rooting for me all the way and being good friends
Cosmonaut- For sitting in a corner the entire time
Greg- Nice guy, really want to play you some time
AZ- For being a jerk and counterpicking FD lol good matches
Captain at pool 4- being cool about stuff and being a good ref
Stinkoman and Paradigm- for kicking my ***

DippnDots

Feral Youth
i actually used marth this tourney ;p only went ganon to beat up on resides ice cucumbers

just one shoutout:

DOBS: "It's ok you can talk to me, i'm a psych major, do you have a girlfriend?"
"No."
"Why not! You're so nice and cute! Are you like, one of those guys who wants a girlfriend but doesn't know what they want?"
"Man she figured you out in ten seconds."

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I know right? And I lost to 2nd/5th (leading to 13th) which puts that as a hardish bracket. I only went 2-3 in pools though (good for the 4th seed) because I had no warm up (and used a mix of Peach/Marth/Falco). By the end of the day I was wavedashing like a pro again.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
The Ohio State University | Columbus, OH USA
Results

Hey all,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who came out to our event- we really appreciate your support and your interest in our event. We hope you will all look forward to the next iterations of our tournament series!

@Oliman, I will be sure to let our pool captain at pool 4 know; I'm sure he/she would appreciate the compliment!

@Big R, you are the life of the party! How come you weren't like this at our first pilot smashfest I threw? You came in with a baseball cap and just sat in a corner the whole time. My team thought you were so anti social and then you turn into the karaoke king at our event!
The sound system was really buggy, so I opted to shout over everyone but I'm glad you had fun and made use of the mic.

@Drephen, you make baby falcos cry themselves to sleep with that downsmash. Good matches with BigR though. I played some friendlies with my buddy who plays sheik and every time he downsmashed me, I would shout "Drephen approves!!" I'd ask your permission to copyright that, but I believe you signed our waiver ;) We'd love to have you on board to help pulling big namers from out of state for our future events.

@1der, I remember you; you came from 3 1/2 hours away and yet you were still the very first person to show up at our registration desk before it was even ready, a full hour before! And then you sat at the very front row when I was announcing the singles winners. Even as I walked past you in pools, I saw you pulling pro moves like lasering someone when he missed his tech and then f smashing them during their forced getup. You did very well! Congratulations and we look forward to seeing you at our future events!

@Alpha Zealot, well, I see you enough that I can tell you thanks and congrats in person :) Or during our exec team email I send as soon as I have some time! But for now, thanks so much for all your help and expertise and congratulations on your strong finish. And I know you'll look forward to our next event, the brawl portion at least. Here's the people I know and their characters that I know of. I don't know how to get those little pictures in here.

Kevin Zewey
Sheik

Allie Janneck
Samus

Mike Joyce
Mario

Erichimself
Fox

Derrick Neimeister
Ganon/Cpt Falcon

Zdawg
Sheik/Marth

@MX, you really rocked me in brawl. I remember I met you over the summer at this gawd awful 4 person tournament and you were the first person I faced. This was my first tournament ever for smash at all and I saw you pick Yoshi and I was just like ok, this'll be easy. And then you two stocked my snake effortlessly. I told my lil bro, who plays yoshi, and he never let me live it down. Of course, I just had to get you to come to this event and redeem myself, carry out my vendetta. Unfortunately, I got two stocked again and then had to go officiate grand finals... I'll get you next time though. Next time in melee, just you wait :)

@Quivo: Glad I could finally meet the great Quivo I've seen so much on smashboards. It was great playing your toon link, even though we only got to play one game together. I would like to think that if my c stick worked for my first two stocks, then it would've been a little closer, but we'll find out next time ;) Now that we've thrown our first event, I hope we've established a lot of credibility in the community and you could help us get the word out, especially to all those brawlers down in cinci. I'm sure they'd come in droves to our brawl events, including our next one. PM me your phone number sometime; you do live on OSU campus right?

@Dobs; you left us for cleveland :( after teaching me to smash last year. Did all those games where you 4stocked me with fox in melee or chainspiked me with IC's in brawl mean nothing :( But hey, I'm just glad you came down to our event, even if you had to Greyhound all the way from Cleveland! I hope you got back safely. I definitely hope you get the word out to a lot of Cleveland area peeps and come back down to our future events! It was really great to see you again, pity we didn't get to play any 1 on 1 friendlies together. I really wanted to show you how legit my falco has gotten. Maybe at our next event :) And your fox is still too legit. Congratulations on finishing in the money in both events.

Thanks again to everyone who came, congratulations to the winners and we hope to see all your eager faces at our next event!

Best,

Ray T

DippnDots

Feral Youth
ganon and I are in a rough spot in our relationship, I need someone who's more in touch with their feminine side emotions, like Marth.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hungrybox: This venue could easily hold 200ish people. However it would be hard to get it for an entire day. I also don't know how people would respond to a national where half the pot goes to charity (hopefully everyone would feel a little good about themselves). I'm hoping by the 3rdish event we do for this we can get 100 people, and we have the equipment and staff to run it in one day.

Eikelmann: I love Melee and Brawl and the OSI team is really a great organization. I don't deserve all the credit for running this, it was a team effort and I wasn't even the head-leader. OSI president Ray Tan recruited me and all the pool captains, made sure the venue was booked, got us the coke grant, found a VP of acquirement who snatched up over 2 dozen TVs before the event ran, found a website administrator and designer, etc. My responsibility was running the bracket, seeding pools, etc - tournament director stuff. From this point forward I'll be in charge of the Smashboards stuff (rules/threads/etc) and also like this event just running the brackets.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
National

Hey,

Out of curiosity, is a melee national any different from another large scale national smash tournament like Apex, which runs both a melee singles/dubs and a brawl singles/dubs? Or would a melee national only have melee?

Also, are there side events usually at large tournaments such as these? Such as a 64 tournament or maybe an amateur's bracket?

@AZ, I will be meeting our event manager and booking our next venue for our next event on either Monday or Tuesday- it will most likely be 3 rooms that hold 50 people each all side by side, literally next door with a restroom right by too; I just scoped out the venue this weekend and looked online at the room booking system and there are a good amount of free dates. And as for the big great hall meeting room venue we used last time, I will definitely make sure to book that for fall quarter (maybe even summer) and we could definitely accommodate a national tournament. Getting the venue all day is not a prob either.

Best,

Ray T

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hey Ray,

A melee national could also occur at a Brawl national, though typically a "melee national" means that Melee is the prime tournament (typically there are brawl side events though, you could consider Pound a Melee national and Brawl national/regional, same with Genesis). Melee nationals by themselves (no brawl) are things like ROM and SMYM and they typically get between 100-150 people. SMYM has run with 100 entrants in a single day before, so I think that would be a good goal for us.

If we have the setups it would be entirely possible to run both Brawl and Melee together at the same event. The key is all about equipment though. And yes, we could also do Smash 64. Another key though when running that many tournaments is keeping track of people who want to enter multiple events (do you want to allow that or not? Because their entry into one tournament would also down the progression of a different tournament, just stuff to think about).

Also Ray I'm not sure if I am on your email list or not. I haven't gotten any emails about anything since the event from you, though I did get something from Alex.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Re: Alphazealot and Some Fun

Hey AZ,

It's funny that we're conversing more on smashboards than through email; although you have nothing to worry about as you're on the emailing list and it's just that I haven't had a chance to send out an email to our group yet since the OSI tournament. I really should get on that... maybe in a few days.

I spent all weekend soliciting sponsors and I think we are going to plan both our Mary Kay fundraiser and our next smash tournament soon- at least, I'm meeting with our event planner early this week and I have a few dates, rooms and event formats in mind already. So look out for my next email.

To everyone else, we will have many, many photos and even videos up from our event! Those will come and then the in game match footage will come soon after, as soon as we finish digitizing and processing/editing the footage! They will be up on our website:

http://ohiosmashinitiative.com/index.html

in the media section. Also, please spread the word out about our site and our live stream from the event! We would definitely appreciate more viewers and possible donors on our live stream!

A lil treat for you guys from our photo collection so far:

Big R and Drephen reuniting for teams

We'll have more pictures soon and be sure to keep up with updates for our next event!

Best Regards,

Ray T

Big_R

Smash Champion
Look at those sexy devils!

hahah

Also Ray why do you call me and NEVER LEAVE ANY MESSAGES????????????

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh a suggestion!
if possible, It'd be nice to get a few more live stream setups (but thats more work and money so yea, it'd just be a nice little thing to have)

Top Bottom