• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ORLANDO, FL!!! Smashy New Year Melee + Brawl Prism Tournament

Frames

DI
not only did i read p+p but i also have seen like 3 of the movies including the keira knightley one which is the only one i own but sooo good omg i wish i was mr darcy

yo i love easy books maybe i will read it but idk

thomas if u want a good love story watch casablanca o and gone with da wind

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Psht, I AM Mr. Darcy. At about halfway through the book. (Things aren't looking too promising.)

I'll have to look into those; I've seen quite a bit of Casablanca, but never Gone With the Wind. I'd been planning on seeing the latter since it seems to be quite a big deal when it comes to Jeopardy! questions. (It was the answer to the Final Jeopardy question the other night.)

Have you seen It Happened One Night? (Since we're going old school romance movies anyways.)

Colin's gonna get the ban hammer.

Frames

DI
dude mr darcy is so amazing at the end but dont wory i wont spoil it

also duh the most famous hitchiking scene in movie history lol

as for colin i'll probably get banned before he does lol

Raistlin

Smash Lord
I read only the first book and have not seen the movie, and while I think the reinforcement of stereotypical gender roles will only have negative contributions, if you are looking for an easy read and do not want to think or analyze what you're reading, it is a mildly entertaining book.

Of course, I can be a lot more specific about the issues I had with the book, but unless someone wants to actually engage that conversation, I'll leave it out.

Kevin, if you're looking for a good love story, read Pride and Prejudice.
I read the whole series, and I liked it, but I definitely wouldn't call them "good" books, if that makes any sense. Stephen King writes good books. Stephenie Meyer just wrote a few entertaining ones. I am interested in the problems you have with the book, though. Not that I would defend it, because I know it's really not very good at all, lol, but I am curious what you think about it.

exarch

doot doot doot
Here are some of the problems I have specifically with the first book.

The Heroine is helpless. (Now from what I make of the rest of the series, she becomes slightly less helpless once she becomes a Vampire--but I'm not 100% positive she does become one.) Bella, from whose point of view the books are written, is a klutzy teenage girl who does not have a very positive opinion of herself. This reinforces the less than appropriate egos of all of the women who read the book; girls tend to have notoriously poor opinions of themselves.

Edward existence is an affirmation of her self worth. Again, her own worth does not come from herself; it requires someone else to tell her that she's actually worth something. To make things worse, she doesn't believe him. How many of us have a friend with a horrible self image, who never can take a compliment when we try to convince her otherwise? It is books like Twilight we should blame.

As I mentioned originally, the overarching summary of the problems is the stereotypical gender roles. Any of these arguments relate to this subject. Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with these stereotypes myself; the problem is when characters are entirely the stereotypes, and Meyer never goes beyond the typical with her characters.

The other major issue I take is with the portrayal of this "predestined" love which our culture seems to have an obsession with. There is never a problem with the love, the only issue their relationship has is due to Edward's being a vampire and Bella's possible exsanguination at his hands. However, even that risk is portrayed unconvincingly. Real world love doesn't work like that, yet our modern culture continuously dictates otherwise. People are starting to believe this, and therefore at the first sign of trouble in a relationship, they jump ship. Want to know why the divorce rate has sky-rocketed?

Above and beyond this first complaint of the impossibility of their relationship, it is also an unhealthy kind. A certain phrase said by Edward jumped out at me and has remained ingrained in my head; in response to Bella's "I love you," he replies with "You are my life now." OK. "You are my life now" is NOT "I love you." In fact, it is unhealthy; it is dependency. A relationship in which both are reliant upon the other is impossible, a paradox. If anything goes wrong for one, it instantly spirals out of control into hell (and we know things never are continually good.) A relationship in which one is reliant upon the other is bad also: the dependent one will suck the other dry.

So the book tells us the relationships which we have which can work and which are good are not any of those, and instead insists a broken hopeless impossible alternative is right.

But if you're into not analyzing what you've read and wont ever notice those things, it's a mildly entertaining book.

Also Kevin, since I know you'll read this, look for me on AIM I need to talk to you (soon too please).

BossMagnet

Smash Apprentice
can you guys keep the posts in this thread more on topic please? or else i will have to delete them.

-rxx-x-xx-

Raistlin

Smash Lord
can you guys keep the posts in this thread more on topic please? or else i will have to delete them.

-rxx-x-xx-
No love for off-topic discussion...

And Exarch, you are definitely right about all that. I am often glad I instantly turn into a zombie whenever I read a book, otherwise I don't think I'd be able to read as much as I do. Instead I'd be too annoyed at how incredibly awful a lot of books are. It's kind of bad that this particular series has taken teenage girls by storm.

On topic: I probably won't have any other plans, so I might go to this. Still not sure though. Oh, and I promise I will play minimal Jigglypuff. Or at least won't use down+b :bee:

exarch

doot doot doot
Idk, I think it's embracing the Atlantic South Spirit, hijacking threads for things which they were not intended. Especially since Virgilijuice and Frames are cracking down so hard on our spamminess. Now we've got to cleverly disguise our spam threads with a page or two of "legitimate" discussion beforehand.

And actually a lot of books are actually good, Pat. All the "classics" are known as that for a reason, at least those which I've read on my own time since college. (When they were assigned I never cared for them.) Twilight does have an entertaining plotline, it's just a shame all of the implications which come with it. And if you don't analyze what you read, everything I pointed out in the last post is just transmitted subliminally. (Which might be worse in all honesty.) But at least you can really enjoy the book.

On topic: I don't know what I'm doing for New Years, but this is a possibility, albeit remote.
And downb is what makes Jigglypuff an entertaining character.
Juan: Your other characters are bad. Although improving.
Kevin: Get at me.

Frames

DI
amberrr sowwy for being dumb although u cant delete MY posts lolol

i wanna come to this, still tryin to figure it out tho i might be working on new years :(

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
ADDRESS:

2824 Einstein Way
Apt 06102
Orlando, Fl 32826

New Year's almost here!

There may or may not be a lot of people stuck in Orlando for the New Years, without plans of any kind.

I'm holding a tournament for Melee and Brawl, plus the possibility of other such fun games!

The tournament will start at ~9PM, and continue on until 2009!!!!

This tournament is not intended to be huge or get people to come from far away! It's just a party for people who (probably) live < an hour away, and have nothing better to do while The Ball is dropping.

The total cost for all tournaments is only $5, regardless of how many tournaments there are.

You have to enter if you come!

I don't care if there is only like 5-6 people, because it will still be funner than NOT having a smashfest for new years.

I will hold as many events as time allows. We have 4 TVs, and 2 Wiis, and 2 Gamecubes, and in the past that has been enough to quickly run a 20 person tournament.

Hurrah! Merry ChristmaHannuKwanza!

Events: (As long as at least 4 people are interested in each of these, I will hold all of them)

Melee Singles
Brawl Fun Singles (MK, Snake, DeDeDe Banned!)
Melee Doubles
Brawl Random Doubles
Melee FFA (Items)
Bowser Challenge
Brawl FFA?
Wow, this is tempting.

I may be here if egg nog with vodka/rum will be served.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Wow, this is tempting.

I may be here if egg nog with vodka/rum will be served.
Aren't you like 9? Be a kid, don't drink.

And Thomas, I gotta admit, I really don't like most classical books. The writing is just too old, I guess, and it bugs me. I had to read Great Expectations in 9th grade, and it was just AWFUL, and I couldn't bear to read the whole thing. Then I read the spark notes since we were having a test and realized it was actually a really good story! But I just couldn't get past the writing :(

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Aren't you like 9? Be a kid, don't drink.

And Thomas, I gotta admit, I really don't like most classical books. The writing is just too old, I guess, and it bugs me. I had to read Great Expectations in 9th grade, and it was just AWFUL, and I couldn't bear to read the whole thing. Then I read the spark notes since we were having a test and realized it was actually a really good story! But I just couldn't get past the writing :(
lmao I'm obviously 9 years old =P . what teenager doesn't drink egg nog with vodka on the holidays. I don't drink all the time either. I only drink socially, and hardly even then to be honest. Egg nog is amazing too and you know it :D

If I did drink, it would be a toast to a new year :)

exarch

doot doot doot
...Seriously Ian, you're definitely not of age yet. I don't even think egg nog would taste very good with either of those drinks added anyways. Then again, maybe it's one of those drinks which tastes bad enough already and adding the alcohol doesn't make it too much worse. But egg nog is only good when it's sipped, and I don't think adding rum or vodka to it is to make it more of a sippable drink. >_>

PS Ian, you can toast with nonalcoholic drinks too.

Pat, forgive me for not specifying, Dickens' writing is boring (at least the ones I read when I read them.) However, To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely good, and the writing is not too stilted (that's where I started recently anyways.) Most other classics are not as ridiculous as Dickens' writings, too. Also, in case you haven't noticed, you're not in ninth grade anymore, and you may find you can tolerate more polysyllabic writing now. Also, like I mentioned earlier I didn't care for reading when it was assigned, but since I've sat down and decided to read for myself, I've enjoyed those books immensely.

Finch

Smash Lord
I read the firs 200 pages of Twilight out of curiosity, realized how silly it was, and skipped to the ending. There's a reason that great books aren't written about teenagers. Everything Exarch said about it is spot on.

If you want a great love story frames I'd check out The Time Traveler's Wife. It's probably the best love story I've ever read (and I've read a lot) and it's got sci-fi as well. Very mature, emotional, and brilliant writing.

Vijin

Smash Ace
As for Melbourne crew showing up, I'm hoping to have the whole crew there (Me, Lobster, RFX, Dguy, Desert king, Hazard, and Corey) all of us added to whoever else that is going to show up, you might have a decent sized turnout, John :p I'm not done talking to the rest of the crew but I'm sure we'll have a few coming.

Frames

DI
yo uh mooney there wont be eggnog/vodka things

also uh u guys are awesome merry christmas also to kill a mockingbird is pretty sweet also sit down and read complete works of shakespeare like i did its too good

hamlet
macbeth
king lear
merchant of orlando fl
romeo and juliet
othello babay
midsummer nights dream (if u notice like half of the moons in our solar system are named from characters in this play its crazy)

etc etc

alsoooo this wasn't brought up but i dislike ann rynd
the end

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
There will be no drinking. Especially not for minors.

Also, no one who plans on going outside to smoke will be allowed back in.

I'm allergic to people who smoke or smell like smoke.

Also, Melbourne might end up being more than half the representation of the tournament. I don't mind :), whoever comes is welcome. There should be plenty of Visitor Parking. Everyone make sure you park in visitor parking.

Zoro

Smash Champion
There will be no drinking. Especially not for minors.

Also, no one who plans on going outside to smoke will be allowed back in.

I'm allergic to people who smoke or smell like smoke.

Also, Melbourne might end up being more than half the representation of the tournament. I don't mind :), whoever comes is welcome. There should be plenty of Visitor Parking. Everyone make sure you park in visitor parking.
yay i dont like drinking and smoking at parties so i might go to this now

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
UGH!!! I'm going to Orlando on the 27th for a week. I want to go to this, but I doubt my parent s will let me >_<.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
It might be a lot farther away than you think. Orlando is huge!

My place is 2 minutes away from UCF, so if you're going to be close to the college, maybe you're parents will let you make it to this.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Also, I know I stated it in my first post, but this is important, so I wanted to restate it incase anyone missed it:

You MUST pay the $5 if you come. This one time $5 gets you entered into EVERY tournament event(you can choose to forfeit your matches, but you will be placed into the bracket either way). There will be a TINY amount of prize money for each event, since there will be more than five events, it's as if you payed less than $1 to enter any given one.

Example prize:

12 people....

.70$ x 12 = $8.40 total pot

50/30/20 split = winner would get like $4.20?

so it's entirely possible to win an event and not make your money back for coming. Also, even if you won every single event (QDVS... :)) you'd still make garbage money.

If you won every event, and there was 15 people in attendance, you'd only make $37.50 :):):)

I thought I'd stress those two things again, to make sure everyone understands.

BossMagnet

Smash Apprentice
Whoops this is Rx on amber's account.

My entry method is the one we're using.

I'm also not going to pay out money until the very end, so that I can pay people who've won multiple tournaments without having to give tons of $ in change.

Everything is fine the way it is. I don't rip people off or cheat people out.

The only reason money is even involved is so that people who participate are excited. There will probably be like 10 tournaments too, if time allows.

Top Bottom