• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Orlando, FL] Otronicon is here! And better than ever. 1/14 - 1/17

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
Next Level Lan and Otronicon Presents:

Otronicon Smash 2011!

Tournament Date:

Friday January 14 - 17 2011

Format:
Doubles, Singles for both Melee and Brawl

Time:
Check-in on all days: 10:00 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Read the underlined update.
  • Friday, 1/14 - Casual Play
  • Saturday, 1/15 - Brawl 1v1 and 2v2
  • Sunday, 1/16 - Melee 1v1 and 2v2
  • Monday, 1/17 - Casual Play

For Saturday, round 1 BRAWL begins at:
1v1 - 1pm sharp (not 1:01pm)
2v2 - 5pm

For Sunday, round 1 MELEE begins at:
1v1 - 1pm
2v2 - 5pm

---------------------------------------------------------------
Gamer Fees:

Con entry : $10
Doubles: $5 admission per player ($10 per team)
Singles: $5 admission per player

BRAWL RULES:
Rules= Stock
Stock = 3
Handicap = Off
Damage Ratio = 1.0
Friendly Fire = On
Self-destruct = -1
Items = Off

Both tournaments are Double Elimination as well as best two out of three with the semifinals and finals best 3 out of 5.

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick Stages:
-Lylat Cruise
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Siege
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium 1

Prizes:

Singles
Otronicon AND Next Level LAN will be giving out prizes this year to our winners. The prize amount is TBD but some of them include Visa and Best Buy gift cards ($$$!) and a whole lot of other things. I will post the prizes when they are finalized. So far I know that top 3 in singles get prizes.

UPDATE: The OSC has confirmed with me that they will do CASH PRIZES as a PERCENTAGE of attendance! This means that we will get a NLL/Gigs quality event plus extra sponsored prizes including NLL and a few others.

Doubles
Same as above, except that top two get prizes for doubles.

See Next Level LAN website at www.NextLevelLAN.com
See Otronicon website at www.Otronicon.org

If you are interested in volunteering this year, please contact Mrs. Gelder at AvanGelder@osc.org. You do not coordinate it through me this year (thank God).

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
So the big things I made sure were done this year:

Better space for the tournaments
More gaming stations (you guys help with this too)
Better prize support
Faster tournaments (I'll be running the majority of them)

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Interesting, I'll make sure to add this to the FL thread when I do tonight's update. This looks like it'll be the next big thing after the Swamp *****s' tourney.

:rosalina:

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Yay for the swampnigggas being a big thing! And i'm probably going to attend this now that i'm moving to orlando :D

Frames

DI
Yea so uh... I tried to volunteer my wii and I got this

"Sorry for the confusion but it was decided we were not allowing guests to bring in their own Wii’s. I will contact the host to clear up any confusion. We appreciate your interest in volunteering for the event. If you are still interested, please feel free to contact Danielle Kapusin, Volunteer Manger at 407-514-2223. Thanks! Angella"

So yea...you should update the thread with that for people that want to volunteer

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
Venue fee lasts for the whole day. If you plan on doing multiple tournaments across multiple days you have to pay for each day. It costs the same as a NLL tournament fee basically.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Hmm...Otronicon is kind of the traditional tourney with my college buddies, but I gotta admit, last year was pretty bad. We liked it better when nobody knew what they were doing, and we had items and stuff. Seriously, I don't care if someone goes Super Sonic against me. I'd rather lose that way than against chaingrabbing garbage. What makes this different from any other local tournament now? It's not like you need MLG rules to draw a crowd to this particular event. The turnout will be 100+ no matter what, so why not mix things up for a change? Give us a FFA tournament, turn items, on, make doubles partners random, etc etc. Something. Anything!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
It's been MLG rules the last 2 years.

Go find some noobs like yourself to play with if you want ffa and items.

You should know better not to bring it up on smashboards anyway. Like anyone on here is going to agree with you haha?

I don't even play brawl anymore but I remember you whining on here about it the last couple years.

EDIT: Hopefully some melee players go for melee day.

Toneh

Smash Lord
Hmm...Otronicon is kind of the traditional tourney with my college buddies, but I gotta admit, last year was pretty bad. We liked it better when nobody knew what they were doing, and we had items and stuff. Seriously, I don't care if someone goes Super Sonic against me. I'd rather lose that way than against chaingrabbing garbage. What makes this different from any other local tournament now? It's not like you need MLG rules to draw a crowd to this particular event. The turnout will be 100+ no matter what, so why not mix things up for a change? Give us a FFA tournament, turn items, on, make doubles partners random, etc etc. Something. Anything!

2-DJeff

Smash Master
ffa tourney isnt legit because ppl will team and ill do items as long as smash ball is off
itmes is w.e. but im not paying a fee like that if items are on.
its not fun when ppl are getting teamed

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
ffa tourney isnt legit because ppl will team and ill do items as long as smash ball is off
itmes is w.e. but im not paying a fee like that if items are on.
its not fun when ppl are getting teamed
Otronicon usually gets 100+ players. Split them up randomly, and you shouldn't see any team nonsense, at least not the way you're thinking. There will always be alliances formed and broken in the middle of the match. The best part of FFA is that political dynamic. I'm mixed on smash balls, but I wouldn't cry foul if a significant amount of items were banned for being crazy broken (I'm looking at YOU, fan).

double ike...team attack off, items on...get at me
???

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Otronicon usually gets 100+ players. Split them up randomly, and you shouldn't see any team nonsense, at least not the way you're thinking. There will always be alliances formed and broken in the middle of the match. The best part of FFA is that political dynamic. I'm mixed on smash balls, but I wouldn't cry foul if a significant amount of items were banned for being crazy broken (I'm looking at YOU, fan).

???
nah FFA and having items are dumb just keep it SWF bbr rules

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
You do realize that this is the one tournament where 90% of the entrants have no idea what this site is, and do not play Smash Bros seriously, right? But no, go ahead and impose the boring-*** SBR rules, and do your best to mercilessly beat down any ten year olds you come across. It was really impressive last year when one of you beat a little kid, and didn't tell him he got to play again because of double elimination. You guys are so cool and hardcore.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
You do realize that this is the one tournament where 90% of the entrants have no idea what this site is, and do not play Smash Bros seriously, right? But no, go ahead and impose the boring-*** SBR rules, and do your best to mercilessly beat down any ten year olds you come across. It was really impressive last year when one of you beat a little kid, and didn't tell him he got to play again because of double elimination. You guys are so cool and hardcore.
i rather be played fair then get eliminated by some BS
and i wasnt there last year but his parents or he should be able to read the rules.
so thats not our fault. so get that stick from up your *** plz

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
The funny thing is that you won't even get close to winning regardless. You would, regardless, selfishly insist the tournament be arranged to your liking rather than that of the majority of players in attendance. Such losers on this board.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
The funny thing is that you won't even get close to winning regardless. You would, regardless, selfishly insist the tournament be arranged to your liking rather than that of the majority of players in attendance. Such losers on this board.
100$ says i get top 10

OverLade

Smash Hero
Who's hosting this tournament? Is it a competitive player? If so, then naturally it's up to them to decide who they intend to cater to. If they want to cater to the competitive community (I might add that FL's smash community is several series of close knit friends) then everyone else either just has to get in line or not enter. Believe it or not, most casual players don't have any problem adhering to simple rulesets. It's not like it's Fox only final D etc etc.

Exdeath

Smash Master
There will always be alliances formed and broken in the middle of the match. The best part of FFA is that political dynamic.
But what do you do when a knife fight breaks out because someone got jilted? Obviously you weren't at Shadocon. **** got real hood there in the Semi-Finals. I'm talking medics and cops everywhere. That's not even mentioning the zombies.

Top Bottom