• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

JulioCoolJazz

Smash Rookie
Hey all, Jazz here! I am thankful for the opportunity the Big City Gamin' tourney gave me to try out some more commentating, I think I'm really starting to like it! In fact I would be interested in learning more about streaming, or at least participating in future streams. If any of you have information on the subject or can point me in the right direction then just PM me.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Hey, Jazz, your commentating was great. I liked the synergy between you and Sean.
I'll let Game Pad know you are interested in doing more stream work.
And I think there's a good post on Reddit about streaming info, but I think it linked to a post here on SWF, so maybe try a search here for "Stream" and "FAQ" or something. I'll look around for it too and let you know what I find.

speakerforthedead

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I just moved to Portland Oregon and was looking for some people to play with/events to go to. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

Selfdestruct

Smash Rookie
Hey guys
I`m a melee player from Germany and I`m on vacation in Portland from today on till 17th Dec.

Being a long term watcher I know a lot about the US scene, but I don't know much about where smash is located.\

It would be absolutely wonderful to have the opportunity to smash from time to time!

Any tips / people I could meet?

(Controller and a wii with hack pack on board :D)

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, I just moved to Portland Oregon and was looking for some people to play with/events to go to. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!
From what I've seen, most events happen in Eugene and Salem. These events (at least for now, I don't really know much) currently host smash 3DS and melee. I haven't seen a brawl/64 tournament here in oregon since early september. Anyways I guess I'll be welcoming you to the community, even though I am not a regular here nor offline, but I'm just giving you some tips and such. You can get all the real info from t1mmy and t0mmy

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey guys
I`m a melee player from Germany and I`m on vacation in Portland from today on till 17th Dec.

Being a long term watcher I know a lot about the US scene, but I don't know much about where smash is located.\

It would be absolutely wonderful to have the opportunity to smash from time to time!

Any tips / people I could meet?

(Controller and a wii with hack pack on board :D)
You should check out SmashNest, the Melee and P:M regional happening this Saturday up in Portland!
Also, shameless plugging time we have moderate-sized (anywhere from 8 to 16 people) weeklies down here in Salem every monday; I run them, so PM me (or follow my sig) for more info on those!

From what I've seen, most events happen in Eugene and Salem. These events (at least for now, I don't really know much) currently host smash 3DS and melee. I haven't seen a brawl/64 tournament here in oregon since early september. Anyways I guess I'll be welcoming you to the community, even though I am not a regular here nor offline, but I'm just giving you some tips and such. You can get all the real info from t1mmy and t0mmy
No idea about Eugene, but at least here in Salem we have Melee, Brawl, P:M, and Smash 4 (3DS, soon Wii U) weeklies!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Do you play all the Smash games or only looking to play a certain one?
Portland doesn't seem to have too much going for it outside of Melee, but they are starting to include P:M (the last couple times they didn't seem to get around to starting it though), but Teddy (Tspeeds) has picked up the ball with P:M recently.

Hey guys
That is awesome, I wish I could meet up with you and practice my German (very rusty with it now).
The good news is Portland has some very good Melee players like Eggz and Gage. It might be a bit difficult getting in contact with them on short notice, but there is the Smash Tourney Jaxas pointed out, that's a good a place as any to find them.
The Melee crowd likes to hang out on Facebook, I think I have a link to it on the 1st post of this thread, and there should be a link to it in their Melee thread here on SWF.

Salem is a great place to go play for weeklies since it is not as far away as Eugene. I played there a couple weeks ago and found them welcoming and the events run well. I might show up this weekend since Grady wanted to play with me again soon.
If you ever find yourself down here in Eugene our weeklies are mostly happening at the UO now on both Mondays and Fridays.
Big City Gamin' is working with Game Pad and their monthlies events are really starting to pick up, their next one looks like it might be December 6th.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Do you play all the Smash games or only looking to play a certain one?
Portland doesn't seem to have too much going for it outside of Melee, but they are starting to include P:M (the last couple times they didn't seem to get around to starting it though), but Teddy (Tspeeds) has picked up the ball with P:M recently.

That is awesome, I wish I could meet up with you and practice my German (very rusty with it now).
The good news is Portland has some very good Melee players like Eggz and Gage. It might be a bit difficult getting in contact with them on short notice, but there is the Smash Tourney Jaxas pointed out, that's a good a place as any to find them.
The Melee crowd likes to hang out on Facebook, I think I have a link to it on the 1st post of this thread, and there should be a link to it in their Melee thread here on SWF.

Salem is a great place to go play for weeklies since it is not as far away as Eugene. I played there a couple weeks ago and found them welcoming and the events run well. I might show up this weekend since Grady wanted to play with me again soon.
If you ever find yourself down here in Eugene our weeklies are mostly happening at the UO now on both Mondays and Fridays.
Big City Gamin' is working with Game Pad and their monthlies events are really starting to pick up, their next one looks like it might be December 6th.
Just as a heads up, we may not be having the tournament this Saturday; we're working on moving locations and it's not completely finalized yet, as well as the fact that I'm probably going to be up in Portland helping with SmashNest on Saturday.

Best-case scenario we'll have the Salem Smashfest on Sunday, but no promises yet unfortunately

T0MMY

Smash Master
I couldn't see the FB link on Smashnest, is there someplace else I can get the info?

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Just as a heads up, we may not be having the tournament this Saturday; we're working on moving locations and it's not completely finalized yet, as well as the fact that I'm probably going to be up in Portland helping with SmashNest on Saturday.

Best-case scenario we'll have the Salem Smashfest on Sunday, but no promises yet unfortunately
Going up to Portland. I see my chance...it's so close...I can feel it...

T0MMY

Smash Master
If so I don't know where, sorry
I just wanted to double check if it was the tourney I heard about, like if you just copy & pasted the schedule/details of it.
Some guys at UO asked if I was going but $10 venue fee was a bit much for someone living within their means like me, I may have some bigger travel expenses to pay for (looking at going to Apex and other places).

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Taken directly from the pinned post on the FB page:

"Alright let's give this another go. This time without any restrictions, limitations, or redundancy.

Here's the ruleset for those who may need it:
http://bombch.us/mAU

It's your standard tournament, so here are the details:
We're running Melee and Project M singles and doubles brackets, so here's what the schedule looks like:

11:00 ~ 12:30 - We start registration for all brackets
1:00 - We start PM Doubles bracket
~3:00 - We start PM Singles bracket
~5:30 - We start Melee Doubles bracket
~7:30 - We start Melee Singles bracket

Venue Fee is $10
Bracket Fee is $5 per bracket you want to enter
(For teams it's $5 per person)

BRING A SETUP IF POSSIBLE:
The venue is providing us with electrical outlets, tables, chairs, and space, so we need anyone who can to bring televisions and gamecube/wii setups for Melee/PM.

Prize Money will be given out to the victors of each bracket at the end of their bracket. Distribution goes 60/30/10 and with a big enough turnout we'll even go for further payouts, i.e. pot bonuses.

Well that's the essentially it. Still please be respectful of the venue and clean up after yourself, but other than that be as loud and salty as you'd like.

CACAW!"

T0MMY

Smash Master
Thanks for the post.
No SSB3DS listed, oh well.

Anyone doing a SSBU smashfest/unlocking party day of release? I think I'll go see what's happening at Big City Gamin' that day. And the League is probably going to be a happenin' place that evening... there's people there playing Smash almost all the time (almost all casuals though), so I'm thinking there'll be some nice drunks willing to put money on the line that they can beat anyone at the game ;^D

Selfdestruct

Smash Rookie
It would be so hype to get to know and play you tommy!

I joined the **** Iceman FB group, this is the correct one I guess :D

I also looked it up and the SmashNest tournament is only 9 minutes away from me right now.
This is so awesome, but since I`m mostly here for nonsmash events, I might not have enough time this weekend :(

T0MMY

Smash Master
Der Hype kann nicht enthalten sein!

Hope something works out for you smash-wise, and if not I hope you have a lovely time in Oregon regardless. Cold time of the year though!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Just want to say it was fun playing in Salem again, anyone who has a chance to stop by their weeklies I would highly suggest it. I am looking at maybe spending some time up there next week for the Wii U Smash as it will be my only free week for a while and want to play some with everyone again with the new game.

And just a bit of a conversation piece here:
Rules & procedures are getting to be a hot ticket again with the advent of the new Smash for the Wii U (SSB4); Jaxas had previously proposed we get some heads together to discuss rules used in Oregon.
Where/when/who?
Should we get together before any big tournaments happen locally so we don't bias our rules? Should we wait until after we've run through some locals to get familiar with the rules and know what worked/did not?
Where should we meet up? Portland should be the biggest Smash community due to the sheer population factor, but Salem might be a good meet-up point for both northern and southern communities (Portland, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene, Medford/Ashland, and Bend).
And who would want to be a part of the conversation, should it just be a TO conversation or could anyone put their 2 cents in (or something structured differently)?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
We're less than two days away from the Wii-U launch of Smash 4 and I'm excited to get to play with everyone again this weekend! I'll be playing my best, so everyone watch out!

I'd be interested in having a roundtable discussion on rules at some point this weekend when everyone is together.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Sure thing, but as for the rules discussion if we have something like that this weekend then we'd be missing far too many people to actually hold a large discussion; I mean we could certainly talk about it, but we'd need a lot more people if we were trying to determine a solid ruleset for the future

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'm not interested in talking about rules this weekend, just playing and having fun.
A basic rule set is fine for the new game - default settings (except I think everyone would be ok with Stock instead of Time for mode of play, haha).

Zubola

Smash Cadet
I'm not interested in talking about rules this weekend, just playing and having fun.
A basic rule set is fine for the new game - default settings (except I think everyone would be ok with Stock instead of Time for mode of play, haha).
pretty much for glory rules then i guess :p

also nintendodojo seems to be down, so what's the transport plan for saturday? i could probs get a ride to somewhere near I-5 if needed

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
pretty much for glory rules then i guess :p

also nintendodojo seems to be down, so what's the transport plan for saturday? i could probs get a ride to somewhere near I-5 if needed
For Glory rules? Definitely not; at least not here in Salem.
FD only is awful, to say nothing of some of its other problems. At least around here, we'll be using the Sm4sh 3DS ruleset with a different stagelist.

Zubola

Smash Cadet
For Glory rules? Definitely not; at least not here in Salem.
FD only is awful, to say nothing of some of its other problems. At least around here, we'll be using the Sm4sh 3DS ruleset with a different stagelist.
what's the Sm4sh 3DS ruleset?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
what's the Sm4sh 3DS ruleset?
Sorry, meant "our Sm4sh 3DS ruleset" rather than "the Sm4sh 3DS ruleset".
Anyways, we're currently running 3stock, 8min, custom moves legal and custom equipment means an instant match loss, and the stages are different between versions so not particularly relevant.

Our Wii U tourneys will be having customs illegal for at least the first month or so (to allow time to unlock them), but after that customs will be legal.

Also, everyone should be sure to check their local game store to see if they have the games available for pickup tonight. GameStop here in town apparently has not yet recieved the shipment, meaning that we may not end up having the tournament on Saturday as the official statement was "It'll arrive within the next few days, not sure when though."

Zubola

Smash Cadet
Sorry, meant "our Sm4sh 3DS ruleset" rather than "the Sm4sh 3DS ruleset".
Anyways, we're currently running 3stock, 8min, custom moves legal and custom equipment means an instant match loss, and the stages are different between versions so not particularly relevant.

Our Wii U tourneys will be having customs illegal for at least the first month or so (to allow time to unlock them), but after that customs will be legal.

Also, everyone should be sure to check their local game store to see if they have the games available for pickup tonight. GameStop here in town apparently has not yet recieved the shipment, meaning that we may not end up having the tournament on Saturday as the official statement was "It'll arrive within the next few days, not sure when though."
aight thanks. are the event details up anywhere besides nitendodojo? the site seems to be down

edit: nvm, sites back up

edit2: down again, someone needs to fix that thing

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'm actually happy with For Glory rules for the most part because everyone I play with just wants FD or a random Omega and I usually am happy to agree to whichever stage my opponent wants.
The only difference is that offensive Mii images should be discouraged which reflects their exclusion for online play with anyone (we are technically playing with friends sans code IRL).

There's really no issues with For Glory rules except some want 3 stock instead of 2 (I'm fine with either) and Customization has a popular following that will probably lose traction due to large events keeping it OFF (which I am also ok with).

We'll have to have our round table discussion sometime soon when we can get all the representatives from each region giving input but that's only going to work if everyone present will maintain a proper attitude with it by keeping the goal of conclusively coming to an agreed upon and reasonable ruleset and without put-downs, insults, or personal attacks allowed. Cooperation and a goal to have a standard ruleset which everyone can reasonable use for tournament and practice.

I've actually been crafting a Competitive Standard for use in nationals and hope to have it optioned to Apex soon. The sooner the better because time is really too short to do much good there.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
There's really no issues with For Glory rules except some want 3 stock instead of 2 (I'm fine with either) and Customization has a popular following that will probably lose traction due to large events keeping it OFF (which I am also ok with).
I feel like FD only is an absolutely massive issue with For Glory rules, personally.
Stocks seem to work either way (though after some testing, 2stock team matches kinda suck in comparison).
I'll honestly be really sad if custom moves don't become the standard, because they just bring so much to the table. I'll play it anyways if so, but I'd really hate to miss out on what at this point seems to just plain be a better version of the game because of some honestly pretty minor issues (in the long run; unlocking the moves is a huge pain currently and that is an issue).

We'll have to have our round table discussion sometime soon when we can get all the representatives from each region giving input but that's only going to work if everyone present will maintain a proper attitude with it by keeping the goal of conclusively coming to an agreed upon and reasonable ruleset and without put-downs, insults, or personal attacks allowed. Cooperation and a goal to have a standard ruleset which everyone can reasonable use for tournament and practice.

I've actually been crafting a Competitive Standard for use in nationals and hope to have it optioned to Apex soon. The sooner the better because time is really too short to do much good there.
Yeah, that could be neat.
Also, what's wrong with Apex's current ruleset that needs time to "do much good" there?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
FD only is awful, to say nothing of some of its other problems.
I feel like FD only is an absolutely massive issue with For Glory rules, personally.
Please elaborate. Being subjectively 'awful' and being vague of 'other problems' doesn't help me understand exactly what you are talking about. What is this 'massive issue' that you address? Help me understand because, as far as I know, it is Final Destination where all the characters were scrutinized and balanced under a standard and competitive environment. If there is something competitively unviable with that Stage, I'd really like to know what it is.

Stocks seem to work either way (though after some testing, 2stock team matches kinda suck in comparison).
I'm really used to 3-stocks, but for some reason it doesn't seem to fit right with SSB4. 2-stock matches seem like a good equilibrium. I agree with the statement that 3-stocks for Doubles works much better specifically in regards to how quickly Stocks are used and due to the Stock Sharing mechanic.

I'll honestly be really sad if custom moves don't become the standard, because they just bring so much to the table.
Unfortunately being happy or sad about personal expectations not being met is not something that weighs heavily in objective rules drafts. Honestly I would really like to see an event run with Customization set to ON and not have any restrictions on using Equipment. I agree that Customization brings a different style and flavor of gameplay which can be lots of fun and shouldn't necessarily be glossed over.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Please elaborate. Being subjectively 'awful' and being vague of 'other problems' doesn't help me understand exactly what you are talking about. What is this 'massive issue' that you address? Help me understand because, as far as I know, it is Final Destination where all the characters were scrutinized and balanced under a standard and competitive environment. If there is something competitively unviable with that Stage, I'd really like to know what it is.
First, there's no real sign that FD is the only stage where characters are balanced. Granted FG exists, as well as the fact that CGs were removed and Projectiles were (mostly) nerfed, however this basically switched FD from something that should have been a counterpick (as it is in P:M currently, I believe) to something actually deserving of being a starter. A flat, platformless stage (in a game where the genre is "Platform Fighter", nonetheless) actually has a lot of implications and effect on the match, just as a stage with platforms (such as BF) does. Smash doesn't really have one "standard" or "neutral" stage, and that's part of what makes it great; it tests a lot of knowledge and tactics.
Also, somewhat similarly to my thoughts on custom moves, I feel like if we, as a community, decide to go with FD only we're shooting ourselves in the foot by playing a worse, shallower game for no real gain.

I'm also going to quote @Piford here, because he had a really good point when he said:
"If we assume all other things equal (players physical and mental abilities among other things.), then who is better is determined by character knowledge and stage knowledge. Both the character and the stage are tools you can use in order to win. Banning a stage is like banning a character. Of course this only applies to stages that don't have strategies like over powerful camping, or have elements like the prizes in Warioware. By removing fair stages, you are taking away tools that players can use to win and lowering the skill ceiling for the game. A stage doesn't do the work for you, it provides you with tools in order to win. If you think skyloft's unfair for giving the character with projectiles on some landings, ten its your fault for not picking a character with projectiles, not the stages."

Which is basically a short version of this writeup.

I'm really used to 3-stocks, but for some reason it doesn't seem to fit right with SSB4. 2-stock matches seem like a good equilibrium. I agree with the statement that 3-stocks for Doubles works much better specifically in regards to how quickly Stocks are used and due to the Stock Sharing mechanic.
Were this the 3DS version, I'd agree with you completely that 2-stock works best for singles as people were a lot less precise with their offense and things seemed to kill later (may simply be placebo, but I know that even now when going back and playing 3DS friendlies at school it feels like things take a significantly longer time to kill). With the Wii U version, however, 3stock seems just as viable as 2stock. Either way could work, it's basically just a matter of whether we prioritize conditioning and learning your opponents habits more or shorter matches (-> tournaments) and theoretically more interested viewers, as well as whether slower characters like R.O.B. and DHD are more prevalent in the more developed metagame, or if it's mostly faster characters such as Captain Falcon and the like.

Unfortunately being happy or sad about personal expectations not being met is not something that weighs heavily in objective rules drafts. Honestly I would really like to see an event run with Customization set to ON and not have any restrictions on using Equipment. I agree that Customization brings a different style and flavor of gameplay which can be lots of fun and shouldn't necessarily be glossed over.
The important part of that wasn't the fact that I would be sad if they don't become standard, it was the reason why I would be disappointed. That would be mostly the fact that we'd be playing what is, in my opinion with out current information, a worse version of the game. Less viable characters, a lower number of options across the board making for less depth, things like that. If only there were a "Custom Moves: ON" toggle; I feel there wouldn't even be a real debate about this if it were to exist.

As for equipment, I don't believe that a tournament set ran with those rules would draw in sufficient competitive interest; whether or not something is "competitively viable" also has to be balanced with whether it is worth giving some ground in return for more interest in the scene, both from players and spectators. If no one wants to watch or seriously play the game with custom equipment (which seems to be the most prevalent opinion, to say nothing of some of the amazingly ridiculous and random effects such as equipment-critical Mega Upper dealing 107% and killing at 0%) then that's something we have to factor in as well.
Custom moves appear to be both competitively viable and interesting to many, as well as deepening the game (as opposed to equipment, which can make the game turn into 1-hit-kill mode, in which there just isn't time to have solid adaptation and competition).

Anyways, I'm not sure this thread is the best place to have this conversation, so feel free to respond in the Competitive Ruleset Discussion thread or in a P:M if you prefer either over responding here.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Nearly everyone I play with are happy to just agree to FD/Omega though.

I'm ok with pretty much any Stage and I really don't care if it's FD only or not, but there is something to say about wacky stages determining winners being so illegitimate.
Up to the TO to weigh the reasoning as well as listening to their attendees (just how I see it).

Also, what's wrong with Apex's current ruleset that needs time to "do much good" there?
Just was saying if I wanted to help set the rules for Apex it had to be done quickly considering it is happening in January and rules would need to be finalized well in advance so with holidays chances of me influencing it is slim. After Apex hits then a lot of TO's are simply going to copy&paste that as default (for better or worse).

Just want to put it out there that I'm pretty sure Oregon would follow suit with a copy & paste from Apex as well, so it affects us here - the thread you linked to is a general discussion (from all regions), not Oregon-specific. We'd probably be asked to move our Oregon-specific conversation to our social (that being back here).

Anyone want to make a Conversation for anyone who wants to join in publicly? (I really dislike behind-closed-doors dealings; if this affects the Community at hand it should be in the public, imo)

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Nearly everyone I play with are happy to just agree to FD/Omega though.
I'm ok with pretty much any Stage and I really don't care if it's FD only or not, but there is something to say about wacky stages determining winners being so illegitimate.
Up to the TO to weigh the reasoning as well as listening to their attendees (just how I see it).
It's the exact opposite here; I only know of one person (outside of people who have just picked up Smash and FG recently) who wanted FD only, and even then I believe that was only briefly.

Just was saying if I wanted to help set the rules for Apex it had to be done quickly considering it is happening in January and rules would need to be finalized well in advance so with holidays chances of me influencing it is slim. After Apex hits then a lot of TO's are simply going to copy&paste that as default (for better or worse).

Just want to put it out there that I'm pretty sure Oregon would follow suit with a copy & paste from Apex as well, so it affects us here - the thread you linked to is a general discussion (from all regions), not Oregon-specific. We'd probably be asked to move our Oregon-specific conversation to our social (that being back here).
All right, I figured that was what you meant, but figured I'd check. My question, though, is why have a separate ruleset for Oregon? Why should we want to have a different ruleset than most, instead of contributing to try and create one overall ruleset for the (at least English-speaking) Smash community? I don't really see the point in not discussing things there because we'll be using them locally; theoretically (admittedly there will definitely be differences in practice) everyone will be using them locally wherever they are.

Anyone want to make a Conversation for anyone who wants to join in publicly? (I really dislike behind-closed-doors dealings; if this affects the Community at hand it should be in the public, imo)
I definitely don't want behind-closed-doors dealings either, however wouldn't a Conversation do just that? I was meaning that it could work if it was just for clarification or to discuss where to take the actual discussion; no point in having it if it won't be accessible and able to be referenced for those who we're hoping to have it effect.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
...however this basically switched FD from something that should have been a counterpick (as it is in P:M currently, I believe) to something actually deserving of being a starter.
Project M lists it as a Starter.
FD has been used competitively as a standard Starter from Melee onward.

Smash doesn't really have one "standard" or "neutral" stage...
It didn't officially, up until For Glory with SSB4.

...I feel like if we, as a community, decide to go with FD only we're shooting ourselves in the foot by playing a worse, shallower game for no real gain.
I am understanding of this sentiment - in fact, I am not fully convinced 'FD Only' is necessarily the best and only option - but simply saying "it's worse" or "shallower" gives me opinion instead of reason. When deciding on rules for competition it is reason, not rhetoric, that carries the most clout. If we went with only opinion, we'd have as many sets of rules as we have Smashers.

As of now, t0mmy's "Competitive Philosophy" is the strongest diagram of competitive ideals and standards in regards to Smash. I highly advise all TOs to read it; it is written with years of experience behind it.

To address your concerns though:

Less viable characters
Every fighting game has 'less viable characters' to varying degrees. Unbalance isn't just expected in fighting games at this point, it's practically inherent and sometimes even intended.

Lower number of options
Having fewer 'options' sounds like a 'bad thing', but that's not necessarily the case - limit ingredients and you create a recipe, limit prose and you create poetry. Competition is all about setting boundaries and then vying within those limits.

As for equipment, I don't believe that a tournament set ran with those rules would draw in sufficient competitive interest
When I was talking about "Customiztion: ON", I was agreeing how it was 'interesting' but I didn't think it was in regards to 'competitive interest'. I was thinking it would be lots of fun and should be run alongside a tournament geared toward competitive interest.

.Anyways, I'm not sure this thread is the best place to have this conversation...
In regards to talking about what Oregon is doing with SSB4 rules, I cannot think of a better thread.

am i the only one who can't find apex's rules? actually tried
I don't think there is a set of rules for SSB4 yet at Apex. This is why t0mmy said it's important to establish sensible rules early because anything that doesn't make sense will likely get copy/pasted down through other, smaller tournaments.

Last edited:

Zubola

Smash Cadet
I don't think there is a set of rules for SSB4 yet at Apex. This is why t0mmy said it's important to establish sensible rules early because anything that doesn't make sense will likely get copy/pasted down through other, smaller tournaments.
ah ok, jaxas said something about "apex's current ruleset" so i assumed it existed

just hope japan and the west end up with the same rules somehow (which rarely happens because japan usually goes with official rules and the west make up their own "balanced" (?) rules or whatever)

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
So this is super last notice, but I forgot some of you only really stick to this site. We have our second smashnest coming tomorrow. It will include Smash 4, PM, and Melee. It will be singles only with a chance for smash 4 doubles if time permits.

Details for the tournament are here

4343 South West Corbett Avenue Portland, OR 97239

Here's the ruleset for those who may need it:
http://bombch.us/mAU

It's your standard tournament, so here are the details:
We're running Melee, PM, and Sm4sh singles so here's what the schedule looks like:

11:00 ~ 12:00 - We start registration for all brackets
12:30 - We start Melee Singles bracket
~3:30 - We start PM Singles bracket
~6:30 - We start Smash 4 Singles bracket

Venue Fee:
$5 for entering only one event
$10 for entering 2 or more events

Bracket Fee is $5 per bracket you want to enter

Smash 4

Stage list (Singles & Doubles)
Strike order is decided by rock, paper, scissors

Stage strike goes 1-2-2-1

Neutrals:
Town and City
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

Counter-picks:
Battleship Halberd
Kongo Jungle
Delfino
Skyloft

Omega FD is a CP but if FD is banned then Omega FD is also banned

Rules for Singles and Doubles

2 Stocks, 6 Minute Time Limit, No Items,
Team Attack is On
Double Elimination Bracket, 2/3 Games, 3/5 finals matches
Custom moves banned
Custom move-sets only for Palutena are legal
Mii Fighters banned
Can't go the same color as your opponent's team color
Dave's stupid rule: A player can't pick a stage they previously won on during the set.

The act of stalling is banned: Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinite’s, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

BRING A SETUP IF POSSIBLE:
The venue is providing us with electrical outlets, tables, chairs, and space, so we need anyone who can to bring televisions and gamecube/wii setups for Melee/PM.

Prize Money will be given out to the victors of each bracket at the end of their bracket. Distribution goes 60/30/10 and with a big enough turnout we'll even go for further payouts, i.e. pot bonuses.

Last time went well and we only had a few set-backs, so LET'S DO IT AGAIN. Get Hype

CACAW!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Project M lists it as a Starter.
FD has been used competitively as a standard Starter from Melee onward.
I could've sworn I'd seen it marked as counterpick... Oh well, guess I was misinformed (I'm honestly not particularly knowledgeable about P:M).

It didn't officially, up until For Glory with SSB4.
I'm not sure that makes it the official stage of the whole series (or even just Smash 4), so much as the official stage of Quickmatch mode.

As of now, t0mmy's "Competitive Philosophy" is the strongest diagram of competitive ideals and standards in regards to Smash. I highly advise all TOs to read it; it is written with years of experience behind it.
I've read Sirlin's work (though it has been a few months) before, so I understand the concepts that this summarizes.

Less viable characters
Every fighting game has 'less viable characters' to varying degrees. Unbalance isn't just expected in fighting games at this point, it's practically inherent and sometimes even intended.
Yes, 'bad' characters are something that every game has.
That doesn't make having weaker characters a good thing though; tradition is irrelevant for something like this.
More relevant characters (even just as less variance in overall power; if the worst character in the game can stack up at least acceptably against the best that's acceptable, as the optimal case of 'perfect balance' is very unlikely to happen) should be a good thing, not something shrugged off because "we've never had that many good characters before, so why start now".

Also, from a non-participant PoV, watching the same character(s) gets old, fast. I shouldn't have to tell you how tired of MK anyone who watches tournaments is, and similar things happen with Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik/Puff in Melee. Matches without these characters (throw in a Marth for Brawl, or a Pikachu for Melee as examples) become more hype simply by way of not having just those characters, and seeing something new. Obviously this is irrelevant from a pure "Competition is the only thing that matters" perspective, however if we hope to grow as a scene (and I don't think anyone would be against trying to have LoL-levels of viewership, as unlikely as that obviously is) then we have to take these things into consideration as we have the opportunity to fix the problem right in front of us.

Lower number of options
Having fewer 'options' sounds like a 'bad thing', but that's not necessarily the case - limit ingredients and you create a recipe, limit prose and you create poetry. Competition is all about setting boundaries and then vying within those limits.
Yes, there have to be limits. Things like stock mode, stage limits, and more enforce those limits. The level of depth there is within those boundaries is what counts; obviously there is a limit where things become sufficiently complex to where the skill ceiling can become 'too high', but we're not approaching that by any means.
As for the recipe example, sure a recipe is a good guide but if you make something the exact same way every time you get tired of it. Mixing things up by adding/changing ingredients can be very helpful.
In a game like Smash, adding options increases how much the player has to think, which is a good thing in my opinion. The deeper the competition, the more relevant info there is to test If it were purely Rock-Paper-Scissors, then it would get stale very quickly; there's a reason competitive RPS isn't very popular.

When I was talking about "Customiztion: ON", I was agreeing how it was 'interesting' but I didn't think it was in regards to 'competitive interest'. I was thinking it would be lots of fun and should be run alongside a tournament geared toward competitive interest.
Well Customization: ON is definitely something that will happen in side events, but very few people actually care about the side events.
Also, I see very few reason why it should be only a side event, when it has a number of merits over Customs: Off.

In regards to talking about what Oregon is doing with SSB4 rules, I cannot think of a better thread.
Well yes, if we're only talking about Oregon then here works fine.
But why should we be only talking about Oregon? What reason do we have to use a separate ruleset from the Smash community as a whole? As such, why not discuss things that should theoretically be affecting the community as a whole with the community as a whole, instead of purposefully splitting ourselves off from it?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
just hope japan and the west end up with the same rules somehow (which rarely happens because japan usually goes with official rules and the west make up their own "balanced" (?) rules or whatever)
I've always respected Japan's simple and competitive rules philosophy. I remember when big North American Melee tournaments started adopting Japanese-style rules. Some people didn't like the idea of playing only on more competitive stages, but eventually it paved the way for competitive Melee as we see it today.

Anecdotally speaking, having stages like Jungle Japes, Pokemon Stadium, and Rainbow Cruise were exceptionally good for Kirby, if not next-to-necessary for his tournament life. However, I saw it necessary to stick to competitive ideals instead of going for some sort of personal gain.

I'm not sure that makes it the official stage of the whole series (or even just Smash 4), so much as the official stage of Quickmatch mode.
It is a single standard stage intended for the competitive side of play. It was chosen specifically by the development team and is found within the game itself. I see the first statement as giving us a 'standard competitive stage' and the second statement as an 'official' decision. Opinions will differ, but if I am incorrect of any of this, please let me know.

That doesn't make having weaker characters a good thing though; tradition is irrelevant for something like this.
I will accept the game for what is is, weak characters or otherwise. Aside from that, you and I do not even need to artificially strengthen or weaken characters with stages. How 'strong' and 'weak' a character is perceived is not only subjective but allowing for outlandish stages is about as accurate in helping to balance a roster of 49+ characters as turning items on High. Also, let's not forget that this game also gets balance patches apparently (3DS 1.0.4, and Wii U 1.0.1, with more presumably to come).

I shouldn't have to tell you how tired of MK anyone who watches tournaments is, and similar things happen with Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik/Puff in Melee.
I personally enjoy watching high-level Meta Knight play in Brawl. I can also enjoy watching more casual matches that showcase other parts of the game, but when I watch Smash, I tend to watch competitive play.

As for the recipe example, sure a recipe is a good guide but if you make something the exact same way every time you get tired of it.
This is where the revelation of artistic merit is born. If I do something I love, such as cooking using my favorite recipe, each time it will be something new and each time will give me another opportunity to make that recipe as best I can. This is the same with Smash; it is art, it is science - as long as someone loves playing it, it will never grow old.

...there's a reason competitive RPS isn't very popular.
It's a lot more competitive than that statement makes it out to be.
http://www.worldrps.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuEZEyDdmvQ
http://blog.priceonomics.com/the-world-of-competitive-rock-paper-scissors/

Also, I see very few reason why it should be only a side event, when it has a number of merits over Customs: Off.
I didn't say "side event", I said "alongside", which would be indicative of equal footing. There is no reason to say one is 'better' than the other. I would really enjoy trying out and entering a Customization: ON tournament.

What reason do we have to use a separate ruleset from the Smash community as a whole?
This question doesn't really need answering since every TO uses whatever rules they choose for each event they run. If it happens to be the same or similar to another set of rules, so be it. On a larger scale, though, every TO/region is deciding what rules they want to use for their events right now - it's not like we're secluding ourselves by doing the same.

As such, why not discuss things that should theoretically be affecting the community as a whole with the community as a whole, instead of purposefully splitting ourselves off from it?
Who's to say I'm not discussing things with other TOs in other areas? I've helped discuss, draft and propagate rules and standards with Melee, Brawl and now with SSB4 on a local, regional, and national scale. Salem/Portland/Eugene/Oregon/Pacific North West just happens to be where I'm most visible and vociferous in this regard.

So this is super last notice, but I forgot some of you only really stick to this site.
This information would have been helpful to have known earlier. :\

Last edited:
Top Bottom