• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opponent Move Analysis

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i can shield DI the laser in halberd....

I vote diddy's nana's or everything lol. diddy is more important to know than G&W IMO

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The laser on Halberd is the worst example...... you can clearly see it coming, and it's out forever.

In a real match, where you have to rely on reaction time & a shorter window to shield DI, I don't see anybody pulling it off consistently enough to make it a solid strategy against G&W's bair. At least not yet, or -- like I said -- people would be doing it in tourney. (Didn't see anybody do it vs. Penta's G&W or my Zelda this weekend, juuuuust sayin.)

Until then, let's try to come up with more realistic ways for dealing with his bair plz.

EDIT: Also, @Prime: Change the title.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh, sorry. >< People started discussing it already, so we might as well. =X

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Our shield is just too pathetic to be consistently using OOS options to punish this move.

I say just avoid it rather than fighting it, if the g&w is spamming it, laugh at him and just run away, afterall pikachu is faster than gdubs.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Our shield is just too pathetic to be consistently using OOS options to punish this move.

I say just avoid it rather than fighting it, if the g&w is spamming it, laugh at him and just run away, afterall pikachu is faster than gdubs.
I agree with this, but I would also like to add that we can just run under a G&W that starts his bairs too high up.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I just shield it & hope it doesn't poke or run/jump out of the way tbh.

I dunno if there's much more Pika can do -- reliably -- with such a garb shield if G&W is spacing correctly.

neji32

Smash Lord
cant you trade hits with the Bair with a nicely timed Dsmash? thats wat i always did and if the G&W made the smallest spacing error he would get most of the hits(cause they SDI out)other than that, if you can do a side step Fsmash that usually gets them too...You guys can think about it as how hard it is for us to avoid but spacing the Bair isnt the easiest thing for a G&W if the pika is a Master Baiter. Just saying pikachu has so tricks up his tail for G&W cheap tricks. i always saw this match up even if not our favor

lucy!JOE!

Smash Cadet
i kinda like to think of GnW as a GnW game wait and bait him out..like in the game wait ..wait now go.
almost like when someone said A sword can kill a hamster Easily..
bait his Bair and his Fair cuz they think your gonna do an attack, shield or just get hit ,not run then stop.

but am a scrub, baiting GnHO can help alot in this MU yall prob know that tho.

OH and Diddys Forward smash if you DI towards him you will go through him to his back side missing the 2nd hit....but yall prob knew that too =S

mercy

Smash Apprentice
gaws bair is terrible. if its hits u then immediately SDI it and get behind him for a free hit. there is also a thread that discusses why his bair is a bad move. lemme go get it. maybe prime can do some testing or we can just reasno out what moves beat it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266988
Pikachu's dash attack is a terrible move, so you mean to tell me gdubs bair = pikachu dash attack? Not buying it, and that video in the link you gave does absolutely nothing to prove why the attack is so "terrible."

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
gaws bair is terrible. if its hits u then immediately SDI it and get behind him for a free hit. there is also a thread that discusses why his bair is a bad move. lemme go get it. maybe prime can do some testing or we can just reasno out what moves beat it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266988
Terrible example in the video, bair was never spaced...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I think we've covered just about everything we can about G&W's bair..... @Prime: maybe it's time to move on?

Also, @mercy: Pika's dash attack isn't a terrible move. It's one of his worst, and I wouldn't say it's good, but it's very underrated.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Wait, I dont think GW's bair was covered properly because we never had any frame data on it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Straight from their frame data thread:

Back Aerial
Frame Breakdown:
• 1-9 Startup
• 10-11 Hitbox out
• 13-14 Hitbox out
• 16-17 Hitbox out
• 19-20 Hitbox out
• 22-23 Hitbox out
• 24-39 Aerial cooldown

Frame Summary:
Duration: 39
1st hit on: 10, 13, 16, 19, 22
Aerial cooldown: 16
Landing lag: 12
Shield stun: 1
Shield advantage: -10
Shield drop advantage: -3

Grounded Hitbox:
Appears between frames 10 and 39.
Last for 2 frames.
10 Cooldown.
6 Hitlag.
6 Shield hitlag.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Itd be cool if someone could test if an attack will hit GW if its spaced correctly in the air. The thread linked showed what attacks for lots of other characters could reach, but we itd be nice to know for pika. Same with the grounded hitbox.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Added shield advantage tables on the OP. I only have ground attacks for now since getting shield advantage for aerials are a bit hard. I hope you guys find this useful.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Ftilt3 for mk is positive 24...?
For the third hit it is. ESAM said you can get a free dash usmash if you shield the third hit. I tried it several times, and he is correct. Unfortunately, most smart MKs won't hit your shield with the third part.

PZ

Smash Lord
Is drop shield -> f tilt guaranteed on delayed foward tilt hits? I pull it off pretty consistently
I don't think so cuz he could hit you if he is spacing it correctly and theres almost no way you can ftilt him out of his ftilt unless he uses the 3rd of course.
Can't the MK vary the time between ftilt 1 and ftilt 2?
Don't you already know the answer to this...

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Oops, that's supposed to be -24 for MK's ftilt3.

You can punish ftilt1 or ftilt2 if you think they're not gonna the combo.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
I like to down tilt mks after the 3rd hit of f tilt if they are at lower percentages. Can cause tripping which leads to cging etc. For some reason I always trip them when they are at 0% which leads into the cg to 45% or so XD

Top Bottom