• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

Rikarte

Smash Ace
A random thought... I was thinking about how the art style of SMRPG would transition into modern consoles and just a straight upscale of sprites I don't quite think would do the job, so if they were to keep the same layout and perspective styles of the game what art style would you want it to be in?
Personally I think a claymation style like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse would be fantastic, but I think there's others that can work too.
I think the Paper Mario artstyle would look pretty nice. (The one from the first two games, though the modern, stylized would be pretty neat too)
If we would get a remake however I'd prefer something completely different since SMRPGs artstyle is so unique, just making it look like PM would kinda take away some of its identity.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think the Paper Mario artstyle would look pretty nice. (The one from the first two games, though the modern, stylized would be pretty neat too)
If we would get a remake however I'd prefer something completely different since SMRPGs artstyle is so unique, just making it look like PM would kinda take away some of its identity.
I think Mario RPG really needs to worth at that overhead look if it were to be remade or changed. This is entirely possible to do seeing how they recently worked on an XCOM game with Ubisoft so a fixed camera angle can easily work while putting in a ton of detail for the areas. Maintaining Mario RPG's identity is super important as long as it's movement is as quick as Mario RPG's. I found there were a lot of slow areas when playing Paper Mario. Not entirely deal breaking but sometimes it would just drastically slow down when it was finally getting to the same pace that made Mario RPG or even Mario and Luigi games worth playing.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
A peek at a tiny somethin'-somethin' for Operation Starfall, a piece that'll be pretty heavily worked on to spread the word in my own creative way. The two iconic, Square-owned characters and one more minor character that is still very charming and memorable... What's not to love?

D

Deleted member

A peek at a tiny somethin'-somethin' for Operation Starfall, a piece that'll be pretty heavily worked on to spread the word in my own creative way. The two iconic, Square-owned characters and one more minor character that is still very charming and memorable... What's not to love?
I love it!

D

Deleted member

I love it already

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I love that Geno is playing the violin! Totally fits with his character, and I don't recall any other Mario character ever playing one in any offical art that had this sort of theme.

SniperGabe

Smash Cadet
That is absolutely amazing so far, I love it!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I love that Geno is playing the violin! Totally fits with his character, and I don't recall any other Mario character ever playing one in any offical art that had this sort of theme.
Man, I always thought Geno playing the violin was a perfect fit. I thought of the celesta, too, but decided against it. Violin just fits that much more and isn't as bulky. He'd play a small, convenient, and elegant instrument like this instead. It just... fits so well!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This looks awesome! ...I bet they're playing Beware the Forest's Mushrooms ;)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I love it! It just needs some tadpoles enjoying the music!

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
We are extremely lucky to have someone like you spearheading this operation. Amazing art!

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Man, I always thought Geno playing the violin was a perfect fit. I thought of the celesta, too, but decided against it. Violin just fits that much more and isn't as bulky. He'd play a small, convenient, and elegant instrument like this instead. It just... fits so well!
I knew I was not the only one.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My membership for GoNintendo was finally approved, so I've reached out to them in hopes of getting a story published. Here's hoping it works out!

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
This is beautiful! I absolutely adore the way you draw these lads, they have so much life even in still poses.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, as much as Geno and Mallow are tied for being my favorites...

Johnny boy ol' Jones has my heart, too. Such a good character.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
This might be random, but I just wanted to share my idea of a reveal trailer for Geno in smash.

The trailer begins with the signature smash logo and cut to white. The original intro from smash 64 begins, master hand setting everything up, etc, with Kirby replacing pikachu on the desk. Master Hand counts down, snaps, and the stage on the desk transforms into Smash Ultimate's battlefield, and Mario and Kirby turn into their Smash Ultimate renders. They both run at each other as the first 7 seconds or so of Battlefield plays, accompanied by Mario and Kirby striking a pose midair, Mario with a hand of flamed and Kirby readying his mallet. The screen cuts back to the now visually updated bedroom as Battlefield fades out, and zooms in slowly on the chest from which master hand pulled Mario and Co from. A cut zooms closer to the chest before a halt, as the camera slowly turns to face the bedroom window and a night sky outside of it. The scene cuts to a starry night sky, slowly pacing across the screen. The camera comes to a halt, and a star twinkles in the distance. The screen snaps back to the bedroom, and the lights turn off, now the room only being lit by a spotlight above the chest. A very faint "Geno awakens" begins to play, as the screen cuts back to a shooting star flying towards the house. The camera cuts to inside the chest, and a glimpse of the Geno doll can be seen underneath a few other random toys.

We get a first person view of the shooting star flying through the now open window, and landing directly inside the chest. A pillar of light now rises from the chest, and back on the battlefield stage, Mario and Kirby look to see a similar pillar of light emerging from behind a distant mountain in battlefield's background. The chest starts to shake, and a figure pounces out from the chest. Back on battlefield, Mario and Kirby notice something flying towards the stage, coming from the light pillar. Something smashes directly into the middle of the stage, Geno Awakens quickly cuts out, and Mario and Kirby look up to the rubble. A Mario Rpg text box appears, with the words "It sure has been a while". Geno stands up, and que the splashscreen: "Geno gives it a whirl" and the start of a Beware the forest's mushrooms remix plays. The gameplay starts with Geno's stage entrance, a spirit possesing the Geno doll, which grows to full size. Geno performs a forward smash, a rocket fist at Donkey kong, and turns quickly to jab cloud behind him. Next, Geno charges up Geno beam and fires at an offstage Samus, followed by a dodge roll to avoid a grab from Marth followed up by Geno's down special, Geno blast. The next scene has Geno use his side B, Geno whirl, while Simon stands on the other end of the stage, using his side B. Next, Mario, a gray Kirby, Peach, and Bowser all run/jump across the screen, followed by Geno at the end, who stops to use his victory animation inspired taunt. Finally, Geno is seen using his final smash, Geno flash, as he transforms into a cannon, firing off the large explosive blast. The Ultimate logo appears, alongside the Smash Ultimate x Super Mario RPG

That was fun, I know the bedroom concept had already been thought of, just wanted to do my own take on things.

D

Deleted member

This might be random, but I just wanted to share my idea of a reveal trailer for Geno in smash.

The trailer begins with the signature smash logo and cut to white. The original intro from smash 64 begins, master hand setting everything up, etc, with Kirby replacing pikachu on the desk. Master Hand counts down, snaps, and the stage on the desk transforms into Smash Ultimate's battlefield, and Mario and Kirby turn into their Smash Ultimate renders. They both run at each other as the first 7 seconds or so of Battlefield plays, accompanied by Mario and Kirby striking a pose midair, Mario with a hand of flamed and Kirby readying his mallet. The screen cuts back to the now visually updated bedroom as Battlefield fades out, and zooms in slowly on the chest from which master hand pulled Mario and Co from. A cut zooms closer to the chest before a halt, as the camera slowly turns to face the bedroom window and a night sky outside of it. The scene cuts to a starry night sky, slowly pacing across the screen. The camera comes to a halt, and a star twinkles in the distance. The screen snaps back to the bedroom, and the lights turn off, now the room only being lit by a spotlight above the chest. A very faint "Geno awakens" begins to play, as the screen cuts back to a shooting star flying towards the house. The camera cuts to inside the chest, and a glimpse of the Geno doll can be seen underneath a few other random toys.

We get a first person view of the shooting star flying through the now open window, and landing directly inside the chest. A pillar of light now rises from the chest, and back on the battlefield stage, Mario and Kirby look to see a similar pillar of light emerging from behind a distant mountain in battlefield's background. The chest starts to shake, and a figure pounces out from the chest. Back on battlefield, Mario and Kirby notice something flying towards the stage, coming from the light pillar. Something smashes directly into the middle of the stage, Geno Awakens quickly cuts out, and Mario and Kirby look up to the rubble. A Mario Rpg text box appears, with the words "It sure has been a while". Geno stands up, and que the splashscreen: "Geno gives it a whirl" and the start of a Beware the forest's mushrooms remix plays. The gameplay starts with Geno's stage entrance, a spirit possesing the Geno doll, which grows to full size. Geno performs a forward smash, a rocket fist at Donkey kong, and turns quickly to jab cloud behind him. Next, Geno charges up Geno beam and fires at an offstage Samus, followed by a dodge roll to avoid a grab from Marth followed up by Geno's down special, Geno blast. The next scene has Geno use his side B, Geno whirl, while Simon stands on the other end of the stage, using his side B. Next, Mario, a gray Kirby, Peach, and Bowser all run/jump across the screen, followed by Geno at the end, who stops to use his victory animation inspired taunt. Finally, Geno is seen using his final smash, Geno flash, as he transforms into a cannon, firing off the large explosive blast. The Ultimate logo appears, alongside the Smash Ultimate x Super Mario RPG

That was fun, I know the bedroom concept had already been thought of, just wanted to do my own take on things.
"It sure has been a while" textbox is brilliant

T2by4

Smash Lord
I love it! I love fanart of people doing sketches of Geno with various facial expressions. Gives me hope that someday Nintendo will breath life into the character again and give him a lot more expressions. I'm digging that he is a violin player, awesome art!

Oh man that brings back a painful memory of when cloud was revealed. The fact that it started off with stars was a huge kick in the balls. The fact that we're now getting Erdrick puts a lot more salt in the wound... At least he has the Toriyama art style, which is an art style I do personally like a lot.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I love it! I love fanart of people doing sketches of Geno with various facial expressions. Gives me hope that someday Nintendo will breath life into the character again and give him a lot more expressions. I'm digging that he is a violin player, awesome art!

Oh man that brings back a painful memory of when cloud was revealed. The fact that it started off with stars was a huge kick in the balls. The fact that we're now getting Erdrick puts a lot more salt in the wound... At least he has the Toriyama art style, which is an art style I do personally like a lot.
I love it when Mario characters get expressive. That is where the RPG's shine.

It can frankly be any variety of characters. Nothing is confirmed, and heck, the SE thread just came to a conclusion that the Brave characters height is likely a little shorter than Mario, giving Geno an opportunity. Geno is by no means confirmed, he is just back in the game.

D

Deleted member

I love it when Mario characters get expressive. That is where the RPG's shine.

It can frankly be any variety of characters. Nothing is confirmed, and heck, the SE thread just came to a conclusion that the Brave characters height is likely a little shorter than Mario, giving Geno an opportunity. Geno is by no means confirmed, he is just back in the game.
Only thing confirmed is that I will buy the Geno amiibo if he is in

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I know how that feels. I have a lot of anxiety myself. That being said, though, we have to take initiative. The mentality of 'well, if I won't do it, someone else will' usually results in nothing happening. It's a general thing in life that leads to things happening when it's too late, unfortunately. Trust me, any bit of outreach you try is seriously appreciated! I hope I don't sound forceful, as I don't mean to be. If anything, I hope to encourage. :drohyou:
So , I first thought that Nathalie F. was french... But she isn't.
My english is as janky as my Olimar neutral in Smash , So I don't have enough confidence about sending her a message , I might mislead her. HOWEVER , HERE IS HER GMAIL : Nathaliefourdraine@gmail.com

If anyone can contact her , do it ! I think sending an email instead of a Twitter DM would be more appropriate , and will make us look a bit more "serious". (in the way that we really want to push Starfall , it's not just an idea between 3 old RPG nostalgic lovers.)
I insist again , someone , please , do it. She is pushing hard her Mario RPG comic right now , it's the best time to contact her about that , she might be too busy later on.

While I'm on the topic , we could contact Arlo , a pretty popular Nintendo youtuber. In his video talking about the august Smash direct , he mentionned some possible newcomers , and the first one he mention was Geno. He thought he had a chance , so maybe he could be interested on sharing OP Starfall to his subscribers? Or maybe , just a simple tweet?

Also , this sketch is adorable. Except the fact that Mallow cymbals sound can hurt ennemies , so I'm worried for Toadosky. And yeah , the violon perfectly fit Geno's personnality.
Also , how can Geno smile ? He possess a wooden doll , and the mouth was like the old puppets in the nutcracker movie or something , he can just open it by sliding it down. Or maybe they are some in-game sprites in SMRPG that show him smiling or with a different expression? Like the one where he's mad if you try to quit Star Hill?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So , I first thought that Nathalie F. was french... But she isn't.
My english is as janky as my Olimar neutral in Smash , So I don't have enough confidence about sending her a message , I might mislead her. HOWEVER , HERE IS HER GMAIL : Nathaliefourdraine@gmail.com

If anyone can contact her , do it ! I think sending an email instead of a Twitter DM would be more appropriate , and will make us look a bit more "serious". (in the way that we really want to push Starfall , it's not just an idea between 3 old RPG nostalgic lovers.)
I insist again , someone , please , do it. She is pushing hard her Mario RPG comic right now , it's the best time to contact her about that , she might be too busy later on.

While I'm on the topic , we could contact Arlo , a pretty popular Nintendo youtuber. In his video talking about the august Smash direct , he mentionned some possible newcomers , and the first one he mention was Geno. He thought he had a chance , so maybe he could be interested on sharing OP Starfall to his subscribers? Or maybe , just a simple tweet?

Also , this sketch is adorable. Except the fact that Mallow cymbals sound can hurt ennemies , so I'm worried for Toadosky. And yeah , the violon perfectly fit Geno's personnality.
Also , how can Geno smile ? He possess a wooden doll , and the mouth was like the old puppets in the nutcracker movie or something , he can just open it by sliding it down. Or maybe they are some in-game sprites in SMRPG that show him smiling or with a different expression? Like the one where he's mad if you try to quit Star Hill?
I'll contact her myself right now then. I'll have to look into Arlo, too. I'm actually a bit of a fan of the guy!

Also, yeah, I know Mallow's cymbals can cause damage, but I figure that he'd have the control to make them not if he wanted. As for Geno's mouth, it's a bit of an oddity. In his sprites, he's actually surprisingly expressive, and his mouth contorts in ways that doesn't quite align with a puppet mouth. I'd attribute it to magic, and implementing it in the way I draw Geno is more of a stylistic choice. It adds more expressiveness, y'know?

Thanks for the critique, though! I really appreciate it!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Man, I just love Nathalie's art.
If she has not been put on the list of people we should try and contact, she really should. I would also like to point out Chris Niosi freaking out in the comments, it's both heartwarming and hilarious. And it did cause him to find out about the colorkey set, which he tweeted about right after.
It's all rather nice.

D

Deleted member

Man, I just love Nathalie's art.
If she has not been put on the list of people we should try and contact, she really should. I would also like to point out Chris Niosi freaking out in the comments, it's both heartwarming and hilarious. And it did cause him to find out about the colorkey set, which he tweeted about right after.
It's all rather nice.
Oh my god that art is the best thing I've seen in a while

Xigger

Smash Lord
This, this is beautiful.

Makes me want to contribute too, but all I'm good at is decent modeling and vectoring, and more-so tracing than making new art.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man things sure have slowed down
They definitely have. These first two months of Jan. and Feb. are definitely going to be the slowest. I've been reaching out to contacts and trying to finish this large art piece, but until all that is done, it's definitely going pretty sluggish.

D

Deleted member

They definitely have. These first two months of Jan. and Feb. are definitely going to be the slowest. I've been reaching out to contacts and trying to finish this large art piece, but until all that is done, it's definitely going pretty sluggish.
How many people have been reached out to as of now?

Top Bottom