• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

Dan

Smash Lord
Wait, how is M + R a spiritual successor to anything? I though it was given the go because it was something entirely new to the plumber. I know you said it was an unpopular opinion, I am just a bit confused. Also, I don't think Davids team could work on a potential sequel, as they work for Ubisoft. I imagine a SMRPG sequel would be a team up between Square and Nintendo. Would be cool though.
Yes, it's not a spiritual successor (the only thing in common it has is being turn-based); that's why I said "feels like".

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
If we're gonna have a Website, I'd recommend to have an Star Hill Section where people can submit its wishes, and you can travel reading them too. While this music plays:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
If we're gonna have a Website, I'd recommend to have an Star Hill Section where people can submit its wishes, and you can travel reading them too. While this music plays:
only the tackiest of websites have background music. Trust me when I say the novelty will wear off fast and will make people less inclined to visit the site.

D

Deleted member

What would that page be for? Like basically a suggestion box? It wouldn't hurt to have that.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
only the tackiest of websites have background music. Trust me when I say the novelty will wear off fast and will make people less inclined to visit the site.
Mute button plox
What would that page be for? Like basically a suggestion box? It wouldn't hurt to have that.
It would simulate Star Hill from SMRPG, a place full of wishes, with doors to even more rooms with even more wishes. Just an idea tho

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Mute button plox
Even with a mute button it doesn't look good. A lot of the time people don't like intrusive music that they have little control over popping up out of nowhere. They'll just close the site. This is basic web design. If you want to have a video start playing that serves a purpose, like explaining what we're all about, that's fine, but not music (especially copyrighted music that we don't have the rights to)

D

Deleted member

Mute button plox

It would simulate Star Hill from SMRPG, a place full of wishes, with doors to even more rooms with even more wishes. Just an idea tho
Yeah I just read up but I agree with Dynamic Worlok Dynamic Worlok Music just makes it seem unprofessional and intrusive even with a mute button it's basic Website design 101. If you REALLY want to put music just make it optional or something.

D

Deleted member

Idk why but the Jonathan Jones fight was extremely difficult.

Maybe it's because I was underleveled

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
NicoB apparently supports Geno, if you know who that is. Just said so on the stream he is currently doing for the IGMC finalists. He has not played SMRPG, but he seems to feel he deserves it due to all the support he has gotten. If he ever does play through SMRPG for his channel, we should consider him as a possible ally.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

NicoB apparently supports Geno, if you know who that is. Just said so on the stream he is currently doing for the IGMC finalists. He has not played SMRPG, but he seems to feel he deserves it due to all the support he has gotten. If he ever does play through SMRPG for his channel, we should consider him as a possible ally.
NicoBBQ, right?

The one who makes the A+ "this character is NOT a hero" and "this character is NOT a villain" and "this character is NOT an idiot" videos?

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
NicoBBQ, right?

The one who makes the A+ "this character is NOT a hero" and "this character is NOT a villain" and "this character is NOT an idiot" videos?
No(I actually have no clue who you are talking about). The NicoB I am referring to is a lets player who is known for the voices he gives characters and his humor. He mainly does blind lets plays. Here is video highlighting one of my favorite moments from his KH lets play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No(I actually have no clue who you are talking about). The NicoB I am referring to is a lets player who is known for the voices he gives characters and his humor. He mainly does blind lets plays. Here is video highlighting one of my favorite moments from his KH lets play.
Oh, okay.

That's awesome that he supports Geno

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh, okay.

That's awesome that he supports Geno
Yeah. And I do think it's likely he will eventually play SMRPG, as he has been playing more Nintendo games in the past year or so and Mario RPG's are becoming more and more recommended. It's mostly Paper Mario though, but I do think he would play SMRPG down the line if he does start playing even one Mario RPG.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. And I do think it's likely he will eventually play SMRPG, as he has been playing more Nintendo games in the past year or so and Mario RPG's are becoming more and more recommended. It's mostly Paper Mario though, but I do think he would play SMRPG down the line if he does start playing even one Mario RPG.
I think so too. He should. It's so much fun and he would love it

D

Deleted member

https://youtu.be/g7YG0YevaLk So Apparently SNES games have been datamined for NES online which sadly does not come with SMRPG Just thought I'd let you guys know, and (if this operation is successful) it still keeps the chance of an SMRPG remake or whatever alive if they decide to do that.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
So what are we doing again? Just petitioning Nintendo and Square again, or will there be more?

Can we form a cult and do pickets in front of GameStops?

Dynamic Worlok

Maybe they could have it ready on the SNES online when Geno is revealed (if he is DLC) and they could announce an SMRPG remake in the same Direct
An ideal situation to be sure, but not the most likely in these circumstances.

D

Deleted member

So what are we doing again? Just petitioning Nintendo and Square again, or will there be more?

Can we form a cult and do pickets in front of GameStops?
There will be more. For instance, here is Ovaltine Ovaltine 's plan:

Honestly? I think a huge PDF zine would be a better idea to start with before a full hard cover book. I'd love to get a lot of big artists on board for something like that. We could work on a book after, if need be.

Here is the timeline I've roughly drafted in my mind so far:

Jan-Feb: Advertisement, further planning, social media creation, outreach, smaller events. Majorly playing it by ear at this point.
March (anniversary of SMRPG's Japanese release): Physical letters to Nintendo and Square Enix. A large event of some kind, perhaps that zine idea. Start taking submissions for such a thing, whether it be writing, fan art, or whatever else one can creatively come up with. Could give it the month to give artists time to make whatever it is they want to.
April: Release of said zine.
May (anniversary of SMRPG's American release): Something else, some kind of event of some sort. Con seasons roll in around summer time, iirc, so cosplayers and con-goers can prepare SMRPG materials and Operation Starfall materials. Pre-E3 preparations for some kind of event then.

This is kind of just a rough idea of the kind of processes I'm thinking of here. Obviously, it needs a lot more filling out and proper ironing out, but it's a bit of a vague idea of the calendar we've got kinda in the works.

An ideal situation to be sure, but not the most likely in these circumstances.
I do think Geno will be DLC for Ultimate, but yeah, it isn't the most likely for them to announce SMRPG on the SNES, Geno for Smash, and a remake of SMRPG.

If he isn't DLC, I think we will see SMRPG on the SNES online. If he is, I think we will get a remake of SMRPG along with his reveal for Smash

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So what are we working towards right now? Things seem slower after all this Brave nonsense.
We are mainly spreading the word and messaging YouTubers, one at a time though.

I am fighting Culex, and I am almost finished. God the fight was difficult

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
The “Brave” character stats situation had me a bit distracted, but I am also wondering what our next move is gonna be after we spread the word around.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Yess I finally beat him.

That took forever
Culex is a real pain to fight honestly. It’s a cool semi-crossover boss though :D

EDIT: So I uh, looked through some of the comments on NintendoLife’s article about Operation Starfall and, uh, the reception wasn’t exactly positive.

Many took the operation as just us wanting Geno in Smash Bros. (Which isn’t the only thing we want as it clearly states in the list of things we’d like but whatever). Some were tired of hearing about Super Mario RPG, saying it should “stay in the past”. And several people even said the project came across as very entitled.

We might need to edit some things, since some people interpret this project as us wanting Geno in smash, and us appearing to be “bratty and entitled”.

Everyone’s a critic huh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Culex is a real pain to fight honestly. It’s a cool semi-crossover boss though :D
It really is. I really love the music too - the battle theme, the no-way-you-can't-know-it victory theme, and the music that plays during your conversation with Culex after you beat him

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So I uh, looked through some of the comments on NintendoLife’s article about Operation Starfall and, uh, the reception wasn’t exactly positive.

Many took the operation as just us wanting Geno in Smash Bros. (Which isn’t the only thing we want as it clearly states in the list of things we’d like but whatever). Some were tired of hearing about Super Mario RPG, saying it should “stay in the past”. And several people even said the project came across as very entitled.

We might need to edit some things, since some people interpret this project as us wanting Geno in smash, and us appearing to be “bratty and entitled”.

Everyone’s a critic huh.
We've already edited our goals plenty in response to the criticism. We've done all we can to clarify that this isn't about Geno or Smash, and at this point, anyone who still thinks this is just us begging to get him in the game won't be swayed by anything. The people who are shouting "LOL ENTITLED LOL DELUSIONAL" from the rooftops aren't gonna change their minds; in their eyes, as long as we want to see a comeback for a great game that's been ignored for far too long, we're acting entitled and should be ashamed of ourselves, no matter how civil we are about it. I cannot stress enough that these edgy comment-section wiseguys should be IGNORED. If we let the peanut gallery tell us how to run our operation, simply put, we're not gonna get anything done. And in all honesty, that's probably what they want.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
We've already edited our goals plenty in response to the criticism. We've done all we can to clarify that this isn't about Geno or Smash, and at this point, anyone who still thinks this is just us begging to get him in the game won't be swayed by anything. The people who are shouting "MUH ENTITLED" from the rooftops aren't gonna change their minds; in their eyes, as long as we want to see a comeback for a great game that's been ignored for far too long, we're acting entitled and should be ashamed of ourselves, no matter how civil we are about it. I cannot stress enough that these edgy comment-section wiseguys should be IGNORED. If we let the peanut gallery tell us how to run our operation, simply put, we're not gonna get anything done. And in all honesty, that's probably what they want.
Agreed. Also, I look at the petition as having a secondary goal. Beyond communicating to Nintendo and Square the fanbase's desire for new SMRPG content, the petition also makes other SMRPG fans, especially those outside of the Smash fan base, aware that this movement exists. I think it will be these companies seeing a wide landscape of passion for this game and its characters that will hopefully inspire them to collaborate once again. The petition is the tip of the spear.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
We've already edited our goals plenty in response to the criticism. We've done all we can to clarify that this isn't about Geno or Smash, and at this point, anyone who still thinks this is just us begging to get him in the game won't be swayed by anything. The people who are shouting "MUH ENTITLED" from the rooftops aren't gonna change their minds; in their eyes, as long as we want to see a comeback for a great game that's been ignored for far too long, we're acting entitled and should be ashamed of ourselves, no matter how civil we are about it. I cannot stress enough that these edgy comment-section wiseguys should be IGNORED. If we let the peanut gallery tell us how to run our operation, simply put, we're not gonna get anything done. And in all honesty, that's probably what they want.
Thank you for this response, I might’ve let my feelings get the better of me and didn’t stop to realize that this is the NintendoLife comment section, which is not exactly known for having the friendliest userbase out there.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey everyone!

I'm finally back from my weekend away, and I can devote my time to the operation again. Thanks so much for your patience, everyone.

First thing's first, while I was away, who has been reached out to? Did anyone PM or email any of the people I'd listed? Whoever has not been contacted will be contacted by me personally at varying times (i.e. GoNintendo sooner rather than later, ProtonJon probably during one of his streams, if I'm awake for one?).

Second of all, we are still pretty squarely (heh) in the advertisement and word-spreading phase. Until March, it's pretty much advertising and brainstorming until we reach a bigger amount of people. March 9th is SMRPG's anniversary in Japan, and that is when we'll launch the next phase of the plan, sending personal letters (physical ones) to Nintendo's and Square's offices.

Thirdly, we still have some internal stuff that needs to be decided upon, mostly in regards to other approaches to fan content, as well as videos to spread the word. papagenos papagenos is a very busy man, but I hope that he can find the time to squeeze out an Operation Starfall video to get the word out. His audience is large; his reach would be pretty good.

That's about all I have for right now, especially since my brain is so shot from my time away lmao. Hope y'all have been well, my little stars!

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone!

I'm finally back from my weekend away, and I can devote my time to the operation again. Thanks so much for your patience, everyone.

First thing's first, while I was away, who has been reached out to? Did anyone PM or email any of the people I'd listed? Whoever has not been contacted will be contacted by me personally at varying times (i.e. GoNintendo sooner rather than later, ProtonJon probably during one of his streams, if I'm awake for one?).

Second of all, we are still pretty squarely (heh) in the advertisement and word-spreading phase. Until March, it's pretty much advertising and brainstorming until we reach a bigger amount of people. March 9th is SMRPG's anniversary in Japan, and that is when we'll launch the next phase of the plan, sending personal letters (physical ones) to Nintendo's and Square's offices.

Thirdly, we still have some internal stuff that needs to be decided upon, mostly in regards to other approaches to fan content, as well as videos to spread the word. papagenos papagenos is a very busy man, but I hope that he can find the time to squeeze out an Operation Starfall video to get the word out. His audience is large; his reach would be pretty good.

That's about all I have for right now, especially since my brain is so shot from my time away lmao. Hope y'all have been well, my little stars!
Welcome back Ovaltine :)

Dynamic Worlok

What should we use as the background for the site?
Probably something simple. I would advise against overcomplicating it with extra stuff. Don't go early 2000s. Maybe a color scheme that's light and fits with the existing branding. Above all it should be easy to look at and easy to navigate. A BG ripped directly from the game is an asset we don't have the rights to, and should probably not use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom