• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ooples Smash Monthlies - September 14th, 2013 - San Antonio, TX

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Can I have more info about Smashfests please? I understand I need to bring my own controller for it, but would it also help if I brought my own Wii and disc also? Also is there an entry fee for it? Sorry for the noob questions but this will be my first time I have ever gone to anything like this, if I get to make it that is. I might end up having to come to the Smashfest of next week instead due to late notice on part. >_>

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Smashfest is pretty much an equivalent to people going to someone's house to play Smash for practice and/or for fun. In this case it's going to be hosted at Ooples.
As long there's a spare [CRT] TV that can be used (or bringing your own TV), it's most appreciated that a spare set up be brought.
Smashfests in most cases should never have a venue fee. Even for the tourney itself, it looks like it doesn't even look like Ooples have one at all.

Gao~

Smash Cadet
hiya guys, i'm pretty new to San Antonio and am just getting back to the competitive scene...i play melee though any idea where i can go for that? im having a hard time finding anything for it...unless its all brawl now?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
hiya guys, i'm pretty new to San Antonio and am just getting back to the competitive scene...i play melee though any idea where i can go for that? im having a hard time finding anything for it...unless its all brawl now?
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ve-a-scene-again.224632/page-16#post-15689606

That thread's your best bet for Melee.
Some of us who play Brawl also play Melee, but don't really prioritize it. You're much better off just going to these guys for that. :applejack:

Mew2Matteo

Smash Cadet
I came to San Antonio recently and I would like to play some Project M or Melee. I'm not good, btw. I could try and come to this event on Saturday if someone can front a gc controller for the afternoon.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I came to San Antonio recently and I would like to play some Project M or Melee. I'm not good, btw. I could try and come to this event on Saturday if someone can front a gc controller for the afternoon.
I'm bringing like 5 GCCs so you should hopefully be safe in that department. I also think I am gonna bring my GC with Melee since other people have also asked about somebody bringing Melee. However Brawl is what mostly gonna be played there I think.

Denti

Smash Master
Can't afford to travel to a tournament where fighting for first place won't even cover gas. Try offering like 5$ for singles then 3$ per person for doubles. That way 10$ total for everything.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
Can't afford to travel to a tournament where fighting for first place won't even cover gas. Try offering like 5$ for singles then 3$ per person for doubles. That way 10$ total for everything.
I'll consider raising the entry fee for singles, but I'm not going to host doubles at all. We don't have time for that event, considering 12 stocks per match, as well as having to constantly wait on people to finish singles matches just to get a match started. All under the time constraints of 7~ hours with only 5~ TVs to use.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
For the space we have at the venue, the time given before someone else reserves the room, and the minimal set ups that's usually provided, it's probably better to keep it local-ish anyways.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Hope I can make it to this one. Getting my butt kicked by you guys at the weekly smash fest just isn't enough:laugh:.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Mite want to redo your math, that's $9.
Also we're not gonna raise the price for you to take our money when these smashfests/tournaments are mostly to bring in newcomers, not scare them away and demotivate them from coming at all from results looking like
1st Denti
2nd Megafox/Espy
3rd Espy/Megafox

Denti

Smash Master
Mite want to redo your math, that's $9.
Also we're not gonna raise the price for you to take our money when these smashfests/tournaments are mostly to bring in newcomers, not scare them away and demotivate them from coming at all from results looking like
1st Denti
2nd Megafox/Espy
3rd Espy/Megafox

Zero advertised this to my region. I was replying why I wouldn't be making it. I didn't mean to come off as requesting to come, but only if he raised the prices/prizes.

But I don't really see what +2$ and a Denti in the tournament would do to scare new people off when opples are already 1. megafox/espy 2. espy/megafox 3. k prime. I'm generally a pretty friendly guy, especially to new comers. I've always aimed to see the community flourish.

Edit: I see the prices have been raised to 5$! Well, I shall now form a carpool :) I'm stoked to see this region again.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
5 $ cash? American? I will not pay such absurd prices.

Also this is the day of the mayweather fight.

Also change the meta knight rule right now it read that you can counter mk to those stages and they have to switch.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I throw up a little when top players mention the pot won't give them enough money.

Houston might come to this btw.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
Well, not that I should be answering for someone else, but I will this time anyway.
I'm pretty sure it's primarily that Nike lives on the outskirts of SA now, but secondarily, I'm guessing at this one, but it could be that Nike also has lost most of his interest in brawl as well. As far as the woodlawn series, well, Blondie lives in College station now so... xD

Glad to hear that you and Denti will be able to make this tho! :) I miss hanging with Dallas and Houston :/ would be great to hang with Austin, if they wanted to come to this too, but they're like suuuuuuper inactive xD

Top Bottom