• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only promised DLC vs More new DLC

Only promised DLC vs More new DLC

• Only promised DLC

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • More new DLC

Votes: 50 74.6%

• Total voters

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Hello guys.
I made a poll about "Only promised DLC vs More new DLC".
Vote and give some comments!
I think More new DLC will comes out with 5 promised DLC characters.
If they need to keep ultimate for at least 5 or 6 years as name implies, 5 promised DLCs will be very small amount.
I think they will announce more new DLC for SSBU to keep it.
What do you guys think?

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I think this game, especially being the ultimate version of smash, there will be a pack 2. I can not see them stopping after the initial 5. If I had it my way, after pack 1, they start just selling one character, one stage, and like 5 tracks every 6 months or so until the end of time. If they try to revamp the franchise, I do not think it is going to go over well, and people will make a project ultimate or something XD

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
The DLC I want most (after the 5 characters and stages of course) is more game modes. So far I believe Ultimate is greatly lacking in that department we need the classic break the targets, Adventure mode, stage builder and maybe some never before seen stuff too. I'd hope, if ever included, that these would be free DLC too since we had these things in past smash games already included on the disc.

Of course I'd want to see more character DLC if the characters I wanted still aren't in... I know pretty selfish but at least I'm honest.

Last edited:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind stage DLC. Or an echo pack. Or a costume/alt pack.
Ohhhh I would love an echo pack! Since it isn't a brand new fighter or from a unique series, they could sell a pack of 5 echoes (maybe with stages....) in one swoop. I would buy it. The more fighters, the better! Dry Bowser for echo!!! Ninten? OCTOLING!!!!...........more fire emblem....XD

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ohhhh I would love an echo pack! Since it isn't a brand new fighter or from a unique series, they could sell a pack of 5 echoes (maybe with stages....) in one swoop. I would buy it. The more fighters, the better! Dry Bowser for echo!!! Ninten? OCTOLING!!!!...........more fire emblem....XD
You joke of FE, but I might pay for some slight Lucina decloning. Not that it will happen.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
If I remember well, they said the 6 new characters (including Piranha Plant) would be released on the first year after the release of the game. I presume it will be one character each 2 months.

This game will definitively have more updates for next years. Maybe less characters, but with more game modes and stages, I dont think the game will be abandoned in content after the first year. It's just too soon for a game this size.

Khao

Smash Lord
My only issue with the idea of more DLC (especially before the entire fighter's pack content is out) is that I was led to believe that I was paying $25 to get all the downloadable content to be released. Of course, it wasn't outright stated that that is the case, but that's the whole freaking point of a DLC pass. I pay once, I don't have to worry about getting content as it's released, because I already have access to it.

If they want to do a second pass after the original Fighter's Pass content is finished and released, that'd be fine with me. But I really hope they don't sell additional stuff when I already paid what's supposed to be the go-to pack to get all the game's future content. Either sell it once the pass is over, or offer it for free.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So far I believe Ultimate is greatly lacking in that department we need the classic break the targets, Adventure mode, stage builder and maybe some never before seen stuff too.
If they were to do classic Break the Target that would mean they would have to create 74 unique target stages. That's a ridiculous amount of work. I think that's why Break the Targets changed in Brawl and outright disappeared in Wii U.

However, I wonder why Home Run Contest is gone. It's been a staple of the series and it's not like it's a complicated mode.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If they were to do classic Break the Target that would mean they would have to create 74 unique target stages. That's a ridiculous amount of work. I think that's why Break the Targets changed in Brawl and outright disappeared in Wii U.

However, I wonder why Home Run Contest is gone. It's been a staple of the series and it's not like it's a complicated mode.
when i said classic i meant as in classical modes not the original break the targets. i can understand where the confusion came from. honestly, id prefer if everyone had their own break the target but i think the best solution now is to give us a break the target maker. if it however does the brawl formula of target smash... its best to forget it... that was trash.

Edit: i keep hearing people ssaying it'll take too long for a 64/melee style break the target but we're talking about post release content where they arent building a billion other things from the ground up. Call me crazy but i think they can pull off 75 unique break the targets if they wanted to now.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
If the game provides a better stage builder with the options to distribute targets and select the stage created as a "target smash stage", with the possibility to share stages, it would be awesome. Of course that, just as in Mario Maker, the creator would need to finish the stage at least one time after create the target stage. It would also be great because we would need to try and discover with which character we would be able or would be easier to finish the stage.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If the game provides a better stage builder with the options to distribute targets and select the stage created as a "target smash stage", with the possibility to share stages, it would be awesome. Of course that, just as in Mario Maker, the creator would need to finish the stage at least one time after create the target stage. It would also be great because we would need to try and discover with which character we would be able or would be easier to finish the stage.
that is the ideal solution

The only problem I can see with this is people using tech to make certain target stages beatable, upload it, then Nintendo patches out the tech... It's a minor issue but i guess something to think about.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Since all 3rd party Mii costumes were removed
, I could definitely see a bunch of Mii costumes being released. Those weren't even mentioned in the fighter pack, so it's highly likely that we'll get some of those on the way.

I could also see (and really hope) OC costumes come in, now that each costume gets a name. Why show names for costumes if you only call them "Color 1" through "Color 8"?

As for more characters, I really hope so, but I'm cautious on that one. Sm4sh did get 7 characters total, and we're at 6, so it'll definitely look weird to get less DLC than before.
Plus, the datamining has shown a lot of placeholder slots: 30 of them - it's not likely we'll get 30 DLC characters since every alternate costume gets its own slot (so Robin's got 2 character slots), but it does seem more than the 6 we're promised, even if each has two alternate costumes.
But we'll see...

If they release extra modes, I'd expect simple ones like HRC or a Brawl-style Target test. I can't see a whole stage builder, but they may just surprise me...

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
My only issue with the idea of more DLC (especially before the entire fighter's pack content is out) is that I was led to believe that I was paying $25 to get all the downloadable content to be released. Of course, it wasn't outright stated that that is the case, but that's the whole freaking point of a DLC pass. I pay once, I don't have to worry about getting content as it's released, because I already have access to it.

If they want to do a second pass after the original Fighter's Pass content is finished and released, that'd be fine with me. But I really hope they don't sell additional stuff when I already paid what's supposed to be the go-to pack to get all the game's future content. Either sell it once the pass is over, or offer it for free.
the pass was clearly stated to be for 5 characters 5 stages and music if you thought it covered more then it's your fault

ZelDan

Smash Master
I could see free echo updates being a thing maybe. If Kirby Star Allies and ARMS could add completely unique characters for free, then I don't think free echoes in Smash are unreasonable at all.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Dataminers found 30 unused character IP slots. That means we could get up to 30 additional newcomers. Yes, I think we could get some more DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Dataminers found 30 unused character IP slots. That means we could get up to 30 additional newcomers. Yes, I think we could get some more DLC.
29 ID slots, actually, and they won't necessarily be for characters, since they can also be filled up by costumes and alts (e.g. Bayonetta takes 2 slots, Bowser Jr. takes 8).

Also, PolarPanda PolarPanda found out from his sources that a wave 2 depends on the success of this DLC batch, and whether they can avoid balancing problems like with Bayonetta (oh boy).

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
29 ID slots, actually, and they won't necessarily be for characters, since they can also be filled up by costumes and alts (e.g. Bayonetta takes 2 slots, Bowser Jr. takes 8).

Also, PolarPanda PolarPanda found out from his sources that a wave 2 depends on the success of this DLC batch, and whether they can avoid balancing problems like with Bayonetta (oh boy).
Guess that makes sense. DLC alts sound like a possibility (like getting those old Ridley costumes back), or DLC echoes.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Characters ID slots means next to nothing. It just means that when they create a new character, they will not need to code anything to the menu, cause the menu is already coded to adjust itself properly with the extra space that might be this big (29 or 30 slots) just because they added a huge number that will never be reached and they will never need to care about messing up the menu. And even if it had not 30, but 2 ID slots, or 100 ID slots it would not mean that they would have only 2 or 100 more characters. It's just a menu, add a new line or ignore the unused space might be the most simplystic thing ever.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Characters ID slots means next to nothing. It just means that when they create a new character, they will not need to code anything to the menu, cause the menu is already coded to adjust itself properly with the extra space that might be this big (29 or 30 slots) just because they added a huge number that will never be reached and they will never need to care about messing up the menu. And even if it had not 30, but 2 ID slots, or 100 ID slots it would not mean that they would have only 2 or 100 more characters. It's just a menu, add a new line or ignore the unused space might be the most simplystic thing ever.
I'm not saying DLC is garunteed by the 30 slots. I'm saying it's possible. I'm saying that it's not like there's room for only five.

Regime

Smash Rookie
I think there's a possibility we'll see an additional DLC offering multiple new/returning stages, not included in the fighter pass. At the very least I think Nintendo is leaving the door open to this possibility intentionally.
The reason i believe this is fairly simple. The current DLC pack is called the "Fighter Pass". Breath of the Wild just had an Expansion Pass. Why is the terminology different here? They want to ability to make more content beyond characters, and the ability to charge us again for it.
Personally I'd be pretty happy about a stage pack with 3-5+ new stages, but would be a little salty if it was a new purchase not included in the fighter pass.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm not expecting more, that's the issue. The whole point of a DLC pass is to only pay once and not having to worry about getting more content later.
It's a pass. Never said it was for all of it. It is essentially buying a pack of packs. If you made presumptions, that's your fault, not theirs.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think there's a possibility we'll see an additional DLC offering multiple new/returning stages, not included in the fighter pass. At the very least I think Nintendo is leaving the door open to this possibility intentionally.
The reason i believe this is fairly simple. The current DLC pack is called the "Fighter Pass". Breath of the Wild just had an Expansion Pass. Why is the terminology different here? They want to ability to make more content beyond characters, and the ability to charge us again for it.
Personally I'd be pretty happy about a stage pack with 3-5+ new stages, but would be a little salty if it was a new purchase not included in the fighter pass.
I'd be okay with it, since we could use Woolly World and Pac-Maze in here.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I have big doubts that we'll get anything beyond the Fighter Pass, and even if we do, I'm willing to bet it's just stages and mii costumes like with Smash Wii U. At most, maybe a new Echo or two.

However, I would absolutely love more waves of DLC. New characters would obviously be nice, though im running out of characters I actually care about so im hoping they could theme a wave around upgrading assist trophies and mii costumes to playable characters.

I'd love more music, since even with 900 tracks, I still feel like there are some glaring ommissions from certain games, not to mention there are still franchises that have no new remixes.

And i'd also love some new Adventure mode content, more maps akin to what Hyrule Warriors did, doesn't seem totally hard to do since there's no platforming or story elements. And new bosses and spirits to come with it.

Though that's my best case scenario, and I actually expect a worst case one.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I'm not expecting more, that's the issue. The whole point of a DLC pass is to only pay once and not having to worry about getting more content later.
it's like going to a con, the pass gets you in but if you want to take part in events you still got to pay for them to.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
it's like going to a con, the pass gets you in but if you want to take part in events you still got to pay for them to.
I'd liken it more to buying a DVD box set of a relatively new TV series. You just bought season one but season two hasn't even been green lit yet, so you'll have to wait a little while before we let you pre-order it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
out from his sources that a wave 2 depends on the success of this DLC batch, and whether they can avoid balancing problems like with Bayonetta (oh boy).

I really wish they would consider NON Character, quality DLC content also. there is no balance issue if they add a stage.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I think it will just be the DLC that was promised. Sakurai already said the DLC was decided on and Rex became a costume because he couldn't even make it to the roster. If Sakurai could make more DLC fighters than promised, then Rex would have been a Wave 2 fighter instead of a costume. And the projected length of DLC development seems to be the same as Smash Wii U/3DS. And Sakurai's team has done a lot of hard work to make this game, with balancing over 70 characters. And they will still be patching it after release. Remember in the November 1 Direct where Sakurai wondered if he'll ever take a break? I think he should take a vacation after the final DLC character gets released in 2020. And after he comes back from his vacation, he should start developing the next Smash game with popular and newer characters who weren't in Ultimate getting added as newcomers for that project. And another reason why I wouldn't want more DLC after the fighter pass is because the Update Data and DLC could take up too much space in my Switch. LEGO Dimensions gave me that problem with it's Year 2 expansion. 7096 MB of data on my Wii U was taken up by LEGO Dimensions, and it was competing with my digital version of Disney Infinity 1.0, forcing me to buy a Disney Infinity 1.0 disc to solve the problem. I do not want Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to take up as much data as LEGO Dimensions to the point of having to delete software to play. LEGO Dimensions really shows why a sequel's worth of content would be a bad idea for patches and DLC. We have to conserve our system's memory. And that is why what we didn't get for Ultimate should be saved for Smash 6. Whatever the five fighters we get, we should be grateful for them. There is a good reason why Sakurai told us to stop requesting characters, because he already decided who we're getting.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I think it will just be the DLC that was promised. Sakurai already said the DLC was decided on and Rex became a costume because he couldn't even make it to the roster. If Sakurai could make more DLC fighters than promised, then Rex would have been a Wave 2 fighter instead of a costume. And the projected length of DLC development seems to be the same as Smash Wii U/3DS. And Sakurai's team has done a lot of hard work to make this game, with balancing over 70 characters. And they will still be patching it after release. Remember in the November 1 Direct where Sakurai wondered if he'll ever take a break? I think he should take a vacation after the final DLC character gets released in 2020. And after he comes back from his vacation, he should start developing the next Smash game with popular and newer characters who weren't in Ultimate getting added as newcomers for that project. And another reason why I wouldn't want more DLC after the fighter pass is because the Update Data and DLC could take up too much space in my Switch. LEGO Dimensions gave me that problem with it's Year 2 expansion. 7096 MB of data on my Wii U was taken up by LEGO Dimensions, and it was competing with my digital version of Disney Infinity 1.0, forcing me to buy a Disney Infinity 1.0 disc to solve the problem. I do not want Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to take up as much data as LEGO Dimensions to the point of having to delete software to play. LEGO Dimensions really shows why a sequel's worth of content would be a bad idea for patches and DLC. We have to conserve our system's memory. And that is why what we didn't get for Ultimate should be saved for Smash 6. Whatever the five fighters we get, we should be grateful for them. There is a good reason why Sakurai told us to stop requesting characters, because he already decided who we're getting.
get a bigger memory card, I had to

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I want this game to survive a lot of time with many players and if possible, new modes each year to keep bringing me back to some cool singleplayer content. Data space is the last thing I could care about if I'm having fun and the game feels always alive and fresh with content. Just buy a 128/256 gb memory card, no one can be happy with a 32 gb memory in a console with digital games and reserved space for the system.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Nintendo will pump out more ****ty mii costumes and not give us any costumes for actual characters, fact.

The fact that they actually cut things like Fire Mario and Black Yoshi for costumes just shows me everyone gets 8 alts, whether recolors or an alt costume, no one will have more than 8. I'd love to be wrong, as just about every single character has AT LEAST one costume they could have, i feel like adding alt colors/costumes isnt the most difficult thing for them to do, and people would buy them but Nintendo for some reason doesnt take advantage of free money.

:ultmario: has enough but ofc has tons of potential for other ones.
:ultluigi: Mr. L, Dr. Luigi
:ultpeach: Shadow Queen, Sports outfits, Kart outfit
:ultdk: Boxing Gloves
:ultmewtwo: Armored
:ultlink: Uh, traditional pls
:ultryu: Evil Ryu

I mean the list goes on lol. But they wont do anything with it, they never change.

Gorr

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4571-0356-0302
Sakurai needs his break already. 5 characters is more than enough for me.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
It's his job, people always acting like he's doing this for free haha. Big Bucks!

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
If it were just based solely on Sakurai's discretion, I'd say they'd be done after the fighter pass, but the fact that the pass characters are Nintendo suggested characters means that they're heavily invested in this game doing well, which isn't any surprise. Smash is a tentpole franchise at this point, and if Nintendo thinks they can continue to make money on it down the line, they're gonna push for it. That doesn't necessarily mean more characters, but I think they'll definitely try to get as much out of it as possible.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that there will be definitely more DLC to come after the fighter pass. The fact that Nintendo is making the choices makes it more likely that they continue to support this game longterm.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
real ****ing talk i dont want ultimate to be a ****ing games-as-service bull**** thing. i was super dehyped when i saw dlc coming because ****ing god it just makes the price tag go up the wait go long and the gameplay is constantly getting ****ing revamped.

just be ****ing done so a meta can form and actually stick the **** around.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
The recent datamine that confirmed there being 30 DLC slots for characters shows that Nintendo does have plans to keep expanding on Smash beyond its first year. Of course I don't believe that we will get 30 characters in the 5 to 6 years the Switch may be on the market, but it does show that there will be more in the horizon. But if there is anything the Grinch leak has taught us is that we can't get too excited, so my prediction is that we will get just two DLC seasons at most. If they announced a season 3 I will pay someone good money for proving me wrong. Do quote me on this...

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I think that there will be definitely more DLC to come after the fighter pass. The fact that Nintendo is making the choices makes it more likely that they continue to support this game longterm.
Not to mention they made that Discord-esque Smash app they talked about in the November direct.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
The recent datamine that confirmed there being 30 DLC slots for characters shows that Nintendo does have plans to keep expanding on Smash beyond its first year. Of course I don't believe that we will get 30 characters in the 5 to 6 years the Switch may be on the market, but it does show that there will be more in the horizon. But if there is anything the Grinch leak has taught us is that we can't get too excited, so my prediction is that we will get just two DLC seasons at most. If they announced a season 3 I will pay someone good money for proving me wrong. Do quote me on this...
Supposedly those are more just placeholders so that they don't have to change the code for up to 30 slots, that doesn't mean they are planning to have 30 slots if anything it means they aren't planning to get anywhere close to that or they would have given themselves more of a buffer so they wouldn't risk having to go in and make changes after the fact.

Not to mention characters like Bowser Jr takes like 8 of those slots and characters like Corrin and Robin take two, so its possible they put a bunch extra because they knew they would probably have DLC characters with different outfits like they did last time. If even one of the DLC characters is like Bowser Jr they will be through half of their 30 just on this pass alone.

Top Bottom