• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only One Smash Game Will Finish On Sunday At Evo 2015

Chinaux

Smash Ace
It's obviously going to be melee. After all the ******** from APEX 2015 and Smash 4 being streamed instead of melee, there's not a chance that Smash 4 will be the main event. It's slow and boring to watch, even smash 4 players agree that it's probably not going to be.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
im pretty sure nobody wants to have the main event be competitive rolling

poisn

Smash Rookie
One side of me wants it to be melee because i like it better and melee is faster and more fun to watch, but at the same time since this is gonna be 4's only time in evo i feel bad for everyone

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's obviously going to be melee. After all the ******** from APEX 2015 and Smash 4 being streamed instead of melee, there's not a chance that Smash 4 will be the main event. It's slow and boring to watch, even smash 4 players agree that it's probably not going to be.
Because the melee community acted in a toxic manner?

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
im thinking it should be melee. only because melee is more spectator friendly. sm4sh is fun to play but i never watch streams or tournaments, but i love to play and watch melee

FWB!

Smash Rookie
Trash4Children doesn't deserve anything, it has to earn it by proving to be exciting for spectators

Melee deserves the main stage

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
Coming from a Sm4sh player it's definitely in the community's best interest to have Melee on Sunday. Sm4sh needs more defined rules, and less issues between each other before we should feel comfortable enough to broadcast the game to the masses the way Evo will display it. Customs are bad, and the stage striking is terrible. There was no reason to change it from what it was.

So yeah, until Sm4sh develops more Melee is definitely more deserving of the spotlight. Let's be real.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
You have to realize the irony here.
eh, the irony is supposed to be that I said Sm4sh respects melee more than the reverse and then called out the melee community on being b!tchy sometimes, (myslef being a sm4sh player) right? I think you can respect the game and it's good players and still call out the community at large. There's a difference between how good the game is, how much skill it's players have, and how the community acts. I don't think it's ironic to have respect for some parts and not others.

Last edited:

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
FORGET FRIKIN MELEE OR SM4SH, JUST DO PM. For one reason, melee players get to play it with ease since its more kin to melee in the first place. The ruleset for sm4sh is a big cluster crap of 3 stock or 2 stock 7 min or 6 min and i'm fed up with it!

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
*Reads title*

Ah okay, I'm pretty sure the guys won't make a big deal outta this and fight each other! After all BOTH games are gonna get streamed, hype!

*reads comments*

koopahermit

Smash Cadet
FORGET FRIKIN MELEE OR SM4SH, JUST DO PM. For one reason, melee players get to play it with ease since its more kin to melee in the first place. The ruleset for sm4sh is a big cluster crap of 3 stock or 2 stock 7 min or 6 min and i'm fed up with it!
They're not going to give an unofficial mod that's not even recognized by nintendo an appearance in the event let alone main stage.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Which is why at this year's Apex.... oh wait.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Those who are saying Smash 4 isn't hype and is to slow, watch Nairo vs Gimr/Pit vs Game and Watch, and then come back and try to talk crap about it. I bet the fact that Smash 4 fans and Melee fans can't get along is why Nintendo and Sakurai didn't like/want Smash being competitive until now.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Those who are saying Smash 4 isn't hype and is to slow, watch Nairo vs Gimr/Pit vs Game and Watch, and then come back and try to talk crap about it. I bet the fact that Smash 4 fans and Melee fans can't get along is why Nintendo and Sakurai didn't like/want Smash being competitive until now.
I don't think this is how cause and effect works.

That was a fantastic set, but the hype came from GimR being the beloved underdog rather than great gameplay from both players. Still salty that GimR lost.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't think this is how cause and effect works.

That was a fantastic set, but the hype came from GimR being the beloved underdog rather than great gameplay from both players. Still salty that GimR lost.
Gimr being the underdog was the sprinkles on Pit's floor ice cream, and I was happy Nairo won(Pit/Dark Pit needs more representation). It's still annoying how people try to downgrade one of the games because they like the other better(Melee>Smash 4, Smash 4>Melee,Melee<Brawl,Brawl<Melee,etc.)

Masked Marill

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6935-1624
It would make more sense for melee to take the main stage being that it is a more crowd pleasing game (no offence smash 4).

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
It would make more sense for melee to take the main stage being that it is a more crowd pleasing game (no offence smash 4).
Unfortnantly that's true, as much as I like ssb4 better (got tired of melee, even The hype moments became repetitive and to constant for me to get hyped "oh, falco is using up-b. He went to The stage becouse sheik was on The legde. Oh sheik punished him. Oh, He is doing up-b again... Sorry :p).
Where was I? Oh, right...
...as much as I like ssb4 better, I feel like Melee diserves more. It has a wider history and a SoliD community. Also, as much as it doesn't give me hype anymore, fans keep The hype constantly, not saying S4 doesn't have a lot of hype moments (rather The opposite), but on melee it heppens more often (after top8 it heppens The hole match, everything is hype reason, my god).
....Now, thinking again... SFIV will be substitued by SFV when it releases, and MK9 was taken out as well (by Injustice, but, yet, came back as MKX). So... SmashWiiU for The MAIN STAGE.

Luno896

Smash Rookie
I don't even care about EVO. All it is is just a tournament that tells people that a person can play. So? There can be people around the world who don't go around to tournaments like EVO and I'm sure that they'd absolutely destroy the champions of Melee and Smash 4 if given the chance.

Just because tournaments have big crowds and prizes, it doesn't mean anything if someone can actually dominate against the best player in a fighting game. However, these said people might not even arrive at tournaments because they have no means or resources to get there on time.

Location plays a huge factor in why there are so little entrants comparative to things like the NBA or the NCAA. Sure, there are teams, but remember, there are multiple locations in these big events, some of which are right at home to some people.

But things like EVO, though, have only one determinate location, and if it's too far from you and would cost too much resources, you'd likely refuse going there and watch instead.

So tournaments shouldn't be a big deal if people can't go to them to show off their own skill. Sure, there may be over 1500 entrants, but there could have been more, had EVO decided to have different locations. It would and could span into the tens of thousands of entrants per game instead of the mere thousands.

So tournaments...not a big deal to me.
Not a big deal at all. If the champion keeps on losing to someone who hasn't entered much tournaments, would that person be the new champion instead? If said person could absolutely destroy the top ten people, would they be considered the best instead?

Tournaments can only decide the tournament champion, not the best player in the world.
this is so "edgy on purpose" lmao

Luno896

Smash Rookie
Regardless of who gets the sunday slot, i really don't think EVO's gonna have smash after what happens this year. the smash community in general is super whiny and disrespectful (esp. melee), and if things go the way they usually go when melee collides with sm4sh and with other communities, then i don't think mr wizard will want to go through all the trouble again to include either us or smash 4 next year.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of who gets the sunday slot, i really don't think EVO's gonna have smash after what happens this year. the smash community in general is super whiny and disrespectful (esp. melee), and if things go the way they usually go when melee collides with sm4sh and with other communities, then i don't think mr wizard will want to go through all the trouble again to include either us or smash 4 next year.
The Melee and Sm4sh communities may give each other a lot of ****, but to Mr. Wizard, that's not relevant. I know a lot of Sm4sh players have bothered him frequently about changing the ruleset, and some of this was pretty much mandatory given the early EVO ruleset, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's been spammed with requests to change the ruleset in all sorts of different ways given that the community itself has yet to reach any sort of consensus. On the other hand, Melee hasn't really done anything to cause any trouble for him. It's a matter of whether he ropes the communities together, and I think even he's gotten the message that Melee and Sm4sh are very separate communities. Either way, I think both games are there to stay for at least another year barring something going terribly wrong at EVO.

Shinyman337

Smash Rookie
NNID
abcdefghiz
2) There can exist a player out there who can dominate against the rest; it's called a prodigy. Prodigies exist, no ifs, ands or buts about it.
Yeah Melee already has a prodigy, and his name is Mang0. Mang0 is easily the most naturally gifted Melee player we have ever seen, So by your logic Mang0 could not go to any tournament and not play anyone near his skill thn still show up at Evo and beat everyone? Yeah that's not happening. Even with his skill amd constant practice he still loses. So yeah

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Melee has to be Sunday for my own sake.
Melee being on the last day is a good thing because that way if Mang0 loses I won't be sad and bummed for the rest of my weekend.

On a serious note though it's gotta be Melee, if it was Sm4sh like koopahermit said I'd probably leave the venue and get Mcdonalds or something, or go play some UNIEL/Skullgirls in the side tourney room and be butthurt it's not on the main stage :( . Mr.Wizard, why do you hurt me so.

Cree

Smash Cadet
NNID
NL-Michi
3DS FC
4613-9307-3814
Except what if they prefer online?
What if they use this money for a different thing, like their actual needs?
What if they don't want to drive all the way there due to it being hours away?
What if they have a job and no more vacation days to use?
What if small tournaments don't offer money when you win? (This happened to me, so don't say it doesn't happen.)

You have to remember, there are always certain exceptions. If you think about it, even if I had the money myself and the resources, I wouldn't be able to go there, because it's way too far away from me, plus, I would prefer just going to normal tournaments.
What if this magical person doesn't actually exist? And if they are so low that they have to use tournament earnings on their "needs", why are they playing a game? Why are they playing enough that they could be the "Best Player" in the world? WHO are they playing against!? No matter how much you try, you can only get so good when you're only playing against casuals.

I could keep going but I'm already beating a dead horse here. You got gnawed by the others.

Mexicanguy7

Smash Rookie
Melee should be on the main stage. Why? Well because many Melee players have sponsorships like TSM | Leffen, C9 Mang0, Alliance | Armada, Liquid | Hungrybox, EG | PPMD, CLG | Pewpewu, and many others. Melee is much more interesting and hype.

Top Bottom