• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Tourney Mode - Thought and Impressions

Tourney Mode, Love it or Hate it

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys. Just want to know how everyone feels about the online Tourney mode? Is it like every other online mode and everyone hates is? Or is this the one that will be different?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Well I liked that they switched to 1 v 1... at least until 8/2. 2:30 timer and only omega stages is pretty ridiculous though. Hopefully in the future they’ll let us make our own tournaments, but I’m not holding my breath. I really don’t get why they don’t. Nintendo is so weird about online.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
The 1v1 tournament works to me like something that could replace a For Glory mode. But it should be 3 stock and with more time. Too bad it's just temporary because the rotation of the rulesets. This kind of tournament with competitive ruleset should be always avaiable. I was finally able to enjoy the game as I want, without lag (because it's just 1v1 matches), without random things like items, final smashes or FFA ganes, and without the necessity of create or look for arenas, wait in lines, spectate other people's games, and wasting time and patience on boring interface finding games instead of actually playing. It was just a button that I click, it find a random match to me similar to a competitive ruleset, and I play. It wasnt that hard, it shouldnt take so long to finally be avaiable, and it shouldnt disappear.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Now the tournament is set for FFA games. The ammount of lag makes it not fun, totally unplayable to me. I really dont know why I need to support this. I was having fun on the previous 1v1 ruleset, and I think that a ruleset like that should be fixed there forever, maybe with small changes like rotation between Omega and Battlefield stages, the number of stocks and more time, just that.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
So far, it's pretty mediocre. It's a watered-down version of Smash 4's Tourney Mode, which says a lot. You can't make your own tourneys, there's only one tourney available at a time, and of course, the game frequently lags, though luckily not all the time. I've played and won at least a couple tourneys in each of the three rulesets that have been implemented thus far. The second one was an attempt at providing something for competitive players, but the restrictive time limit promotes stalling/camping and makes almost every match come down to a Sudden Death.

This became even worse with the most recent ruleset, with 4 players, 2 stock, every item on, any stage randomly chosen, and still that 2 minute timer. For the record, I'm not a purist that only plays 1v1s on legal stages, 3 stock, 8 minutes. That's my preferred ruleset, but I also like to let loose sometimes in free-for-alls, items on, playing on illegal/custom stages. Even then, with all that said, this most recent ruleset was just frustrating to play on.

Nintendo should just let people make their own arenas like they do Arenas (without having to set a date/time like in Smash 4), plain and simple. If they aren't going to do that, at least provide a good handful of rulesets that you can play at any time, instead of waiting for the semi-daily rotation. The way they have it currently implemented is so roundabout, I just don't understand.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Overall I think it's a welcome addition. I even kind of like the various rule sets thing, it kind of creates motivation to try other ways of playing the game. The time limit is an issue though. Not to say time outs are inherently bad, but they shouldn't be the norm. It's even worse in the 4 player 2 stock setup, I won a bracket just by running away and letting the other 3 duke it out.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
I voted Love It, but that may be just because my expectations were pretty low heh...

What I really enjoy about it is that I can finally play a solid string of matches without having to worry about losing GSP in Quick Play or enduring the sluggish waiting periods in Arena Battle.

Just hop in, play until I lose, rinse and repeat (though I agree w/ the time limit criticisms).

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Lost to a Sudden Death after I had about a 100% lead. Totally legit thing they have going here. :rotfl:

I mean, I can understand that the timer is low to reduce wait times, but make it just a bit longer please? Jeez...

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Lost to a Sudden Death after I had about a 100% lead. Totally legit thing they have going here. :rotfl:

I mean, I can understand that the timer is low to reduce wait times, but make it just a bit longer please? Jeez...
Just make it to where person with more damage wins.

But it don’t matter much, anyway. Tourney is just not competitive. I have won like a dozen of them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The tourney is nice but the rewards seem lackluster. They're just the OP spirits from WoL's endgame as if I'm going to use the Spirits for anything.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
I mean I don’t hate it. It just lacks options, even less than smash 4. I’m not too mad at the timer. I only played one tournament so far and it didn’t help or harm me. And I’ll probably only play 1 tournament. I can see myself completely ignoring this mode. Kind of like I do with online as a whole...

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I personally think it's good. The rules recycling eventually means that in theory everyone should enter for what they like. Sure it's still a step back from 4 but there could be some reason for that. The netcode itself still isn't great and that will always hinder the experience.

My only real complaint on the mode is just the current ruleset. I could settle for 2 stocks, but 2:30 is my biggest gripe. Should've at least made it 4 minutes. I've had some :ultgnw: run the clock when he had over 100% and took us into sudden death. The clock also forces people to get the kill. Later I found a :ultjoker: who was decent, noticed when I got him off stage and the count down was starting on 5, barely finished him off stage with 1 second left.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Just make it to where person with more damage wins.

But it don’t matter much, anyway. Tourney is just not competitive. I have won like a dozen of them.
I mean, that’s what I would prefer, but I’ve come to expect baby steps from Nintendo if there is ever any progress at all. Lol

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
It's ok I guess. Though I would really like it to be 3 stocks with 5 minutes, whether it's 1 v 1, FFA, or a team battle. Didn't win any yet, but the short time limit does encourage camping, which can be frustrating at times. I do like that they have a ruleset rotation; I'm not much of a 1 v 1 kind of guy, I like FFAs and team battles better.

J.I.L

It's ok I guess. Though I would really like it to be 3 stocks with 5 minutes, whether it's 1 v 1, FFA, or a team battle. Didn't win any yet, but the short time limit does encourage camping, which can be frustrating at times. I do like that they have a ruleset rotation; I'm not much of a 1 v 1 kind of guy, I like FFAs and team battles better.
they really need to introduce team battles.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
they really need to introduce team battles.
And with the possibility to play with a friend, local or internet, not only random people. But I dont know, they can't add simple options for online or when they do, they take the eternity to improve anything, so I wouldnt expect anything.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And with the possibility to play with a friend, local or internet, not only random people. But I dont know, they can't add simple options for online or when they do, they take the eternity to improve anything, so I wouldnt expect anything.
oh man i would kill for an online tourney you can organize with friends

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
2:30 time limit is an absolute joke. Two stocks are already lame but manageable, but that timer makes it unappealing.

I don't mind them switching them up between casual and competitive (albeit I think a good compromise would be to have two rulesets at once - one of each) but the rules man...they are terrible either way.

Hope they add the option to create your own tournaments down the line, otherwise this is simply another half-arsed online mode for Ultimate.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Just played the free for all mode and it was...something. Camping is definitely a viable strategy, and I also had a game where there was a full 1 or 2 seconds of input delay, so that was fun. I think Nintendo is on the cusp of having a really solid mode. We just need one competitive and one for fun tourney at the same time, and increase the time limit.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
It seems there's something else being added to the mode as well: Event Tournaments, running separate from the rotation of casual and competitive tournaments. This event starts tomorrow, and besides having a slightly different ruleset (Time mode, 2:30 timer, Final Smash Meter On, Medium Items), it also limits the character pool. I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but the theme seems to be Heroes Vs. Villains. It doesn't cover every base in that regard (reoccurring "villains" King Dedede and Meta Knight are here, but not the series hero himself, Kirby?), but I think limiting the character pool could be interesting.

My opinion on the mode as a whole is still currently unchanged, and I agree with others here that both of the current rulesets should be available to play on at any time. This feels like if in 4, For Fun could only be played for a couple days before being swapped in for For Glory, and vice versa.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
it's bad like literally everything is about this online mode. At this point I might just use cpus for practice. I know it's not really accurate practice because they aren't human but at least I don't feel like I'm getting ****ing laughed at for losing 2 god damn matches and having every other match lag. I feel like I've gained nothing paying for this awful system and offline, there's no lag or stupid gsp system.

/rant

Last edited:

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't cover every base in that regard (reoccurring "villains" King Dedede and Meta Knight are here, but not the series hero himself, Kirby?), but I think limiting the character pool could be interesting.
Wait D3 is a villain? I thought he was more of an anti-hero...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Spent all day in this mode hopping between the heroes vs villains and standard ffa. I prefer timed matches for when items are on tho so been mostly the former. I like it a lot sometimes there’s dropouts which makes it a 3 for all and sometimes it lags during matches and 1 I couldn’t join and had to re enter but otherwise a smooth experience. I prefer it to quickplay because my win rate is the same but I don’t lose gsp so the opponents stay properly randomized and mostly around my skill or slightly better.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I just tried it today and I got pretty far in the tourney. I managed to make it to the final round with both my mains. Unfortunately though, I didn't win (I got 3rd place overall with D3 and 4th place overall with Ike).

1FC0

Smash Lord
After not playing Smash for a long time directly followed by playing Smash 3DS for a while, I wanted to play SSBU (because I got stuck in Smash Purgatory for being too good in Smash 3DS). I needed to get used to SSBU again and since I saw the tournament feature (which I had never played before) I decided to get used to SSBU again by entering my first tournament.

Winning that tournament was a good way to get used to SSBU and it even gave me 2 legendary spirits in addition to 2 achievements (one for entering a tournament for the first time and the other for winning a tournament for the first time). So it seems that tournament mode is an easy way to get legendary spirits.

Last edited:

J.I.L

After not playing Smash for a long time directly followed by playing Smash 3DS for a while, I wanted to play SSBU (because I got stuck in Smash Purgatory for being too good in Smash 3DS). I needed to get used to SSBU again and since I saw the tournament feature (which I had never played before) I decided to get used to SSBU again by entering my first tournament.

Winning that tournament was a good way to get used to SSBU and it even gave me 2 legendary spirits in addition to 2 achievements (one for entering a tournament for the first time and the other for winning a tournament for the first time). So it seems that tournament mode is an easy way to get legendary spirits.
Lol, smash hell. I remember that place. Got thrown there about 20 times. Losers in smash 4 kept reported me for getting their butt handed. Now in smash ultimate, u have battle arena where former smash 4 losers and next gen smash juveniles kick people out of room because they lost an arena battle. Smash community is full of to many soft emotionally weak babies. A disgrace that low IQ Nintendo gives them so much empowerment to impose their childlessness on each other and other users.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Lol, smash hell. I remember that place. Got thrown there about 20 times. Losers in smash 4 kept reported me for getting their butt handed. Now in smash ultimate, u have battle arena where former smash 4 losers and next gen smash juveniles kick people out of room because they lost an arena battle. Smash community is full of to many soft emotionally weak babies. A disgrace that low IQ Nintendo gives them so much empowerment to impose their childlessness on each other and other users.

Childish? Nah...

Greedy. (n y not?)

I love tournament mode when it's 1v1 no items.

Getting better at that mode makes you better at qp imho

1FC0

Smash Lord
Now in smash ultimate, u have battle arena where former smash 4 losers and next gen smash juveniles kick people out of room because they lost an arena battle.
After I won the tournament I went into an arena that was supposedly for training for tournament (I do not remember the exact title though). I assumed that he meant tournament mode and since I had just won that I figured that I would be a good training partner. However shortly after our match started (after I already had a good damage advantage) he self-destructed on purpose and refused to do another match against me. With that mentality he is never going to win tournament mode.

Lol, smash hell. I remember that place. Got thrown there about 20 times. Losers in smash 4 kept reported me for getting their butt handed.
I go there a lot too. Less if I play a secondary, but if I use R.O.B. then I generally get send to Smash Purgatory pretty fast. Nowadays Smash Purgatory seems to be empty, but in the past it was actually decently full with players who were generally much better than the normal FG players. I think of Smash Purgatory is a precursor of Elite Smash. Elite Smash uses GSP to gauge the players their skill and then make matchups where the players have approximately equal skill. FG does the same but with salt instead of GSP, and it uses reports to measure salt. Too bad that FG is full of noobs and thus FG's version of Elite Smash (i.e. Smash Purgatory) is almost completely void of players nowadays.

J.I.L

After I won the tournament I went into an arena that was supposedly for training for tournament (I do not remember the exact title though). I assumed that he meant tournament mode and since I had just won that I figured that I would be a good training partner. However shortly after our match started (after I already had a good damage advantage) he self-destructed on purpose and refused to do another match against me. With that mentality he is never going to win tournament mode.

I go there a lot too. Less if I play a secondary, but if I use R.O.B. then I generally get send to Smash Purgatory pretty fast. Nowadays Smash Purgatory seems to be empty, but in the past it was actually decently full with players who were generally much better than the normal FG players. I think of Smash Purgatory is a precursor of Elite Smash. Elite Smash uses GSP to gauge the players their skill and then make matchups where the players have approximately equal skill. FG does the same but with salt instead of GSP, and it uses reports to measure salt. Too bad that FG is full of noobs and thus FG's version of Elite Smash (i.e. Smash Purgatory) is almost completely void of players nowadays.
Tournament mode is a joke. I’ve won over 20 of them. I don’t even use that mode anymore since it’s so boring because it’s too easy to win. There was one time I won the entire 32 player 1v1 without losing a stock in any of my matches.

Sucumbio Sucumbio what are you even saying? And yes they are children. So many rooms I’m not even allowed to enter and many other rooms I’ve been kicked because I beat a garbage owner. That’s on the smash community. It is childish

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say online tourneys are a complete joke. Even though they're not real life tournies, it at least gives you somewhat of a feel of what a real-life tourney really is like. It's a good place to start, and also a good training ground (and a good way to brush up on your 1 v 1s may I add). And plus, if you've won over like 100 of them (w/o losing a single stock), chances are you are at the very top end of ES (~5.55M GSP). There's not that many players up there anyways.

J.I.L J.I.L I get that you view those online tourneys as a joke, since you could probably win 30 tournies in a row w/o losing even once. But keep in mind that not everyone is on your level. Maybe you're looking for a challenge, like maybe fighting against MkLeo or Samsora or other pro Smash players?

J.I.L

I wouldn't say online tourneys are a complete joke. Even though they're not real life tournies, it at least gives you somewhat of a feel of what a real-life tourney really is like. It's a good place to start, and also a good training ground (and a good way to brush up on your 1 v 1s may I add). And plus, if you've won over like 100 of them (w/o losing a single stock), chances are you are at the very top end of ES (~5.55M GSP). There's not that many players up there anyways.

J.I.L J.I.L I get that you view those online tourneys as a joke, since you could probably win 30 tournies in a row w/o losing even once. But keep in mind that not everyone is on your level. Maybe you're looking for a challenge, like maybe fighting against MkLeo or Samsora or other pro Smash players?
I get a challenge in elite smash. The problem is falco is so garbage in this game. If falco was just at least a B tier character, the amount of domination I’d bestow upon people would be near my main level. But sadly, sakurai has decided falco will be garbage. And I get frustrated when my falco gsp drops because it’s not my skill level, it’s the fact that this game has made falco so terrible and under devolped while I’m competing constantly against far superior characters. Though I’ll probably come back and play some ES soon, it’s really difficult to find good battle arenas. Either I’m bared from entering rooms, or charmin ultra soft owners keep kicking me after I kicked their butt. This game is so terrible, but so addicting

Edit: I used to do warmups. I’d pick my 3 mains.ness, falco lemmy. And run them through 32 1v1. A lot of times I’d go a perfect 3-0. Meaning 3 tournaments won back to back to back.
I don’t know if I could win 30 in a row. But online tourneys, to me at least, are simply not much of an thriller. Though if you find them helpful, more power to you.

Though I did play online tourney during ffa. I just use bowser. Target one oppenet who can’t recover. Side B him off the stage twice. And sit there and laugh. Lol.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I got a FFA match in the N64 Yoshi's Story stage with R.O.B. and I easily won it by camping at the right most cloud. That stage is not made with R.O.B. in mind.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Tournament mode is a joke. I’ve won over 20 of them. I don’t even use that mode anymore since it’s so boring because it’s too easy to win. There was one time I won the entire 32 player 1v1 without losing a stock in any of my matches.

Sucumbio Sucumbio what are you even saying? And yes they are children. So many rooms I’m not even allowed to enter and many other rooms I’ve been kicked because I beat a garbage owner. That’s on the smash community. It is childish
I gotcha I thought you meant Nintendo was childish.

That's why I don't play ba. It's too slow to get matches. And qp is riddled with sore losers because gsp. So tournament mode is literally the best experience right now (if 1v1 no items). It's still a strictly unique experience compared to other tournaments but it is a quick and easy way to get a good match.

I don't win often I get 3rd a lot but the 32 player bracket is definitely deep enough to ensure 9 times out of 10 that the final 4 all play well.

Also just a thought but playing any mode you must factor time of day and local region in terms of possible opponents. When I play it's usually later at night and getting past the first round is challenging.

J.I.L

I gotcha I thought you meant Nintendo was childish.

That's why I don't play ba. It's too slow to get matches. And qp is riddled with sore losers because gsp. So tournament mode is literally the best experience right now (if 1v1 no items). It's still a strictly unique experience compared to other tournaments but it is a quick and easy way to get a good match.

I don't win often I get 3rd a lot but the 32 player bracket is definitely deep enough to ensure 9 times out of 10 that the final 4 all play well.

Also just a thought but playing any mode you must factor time of day and local region in terms of possible opponents. When I play it's usually later at night and getting past the first round is challenging.
Night times...usually there aren't 32 people. the ones I used to play with 32 people are day time and evening.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Oh wow in my region which is Southeast US its full on and refreshed within 10 seconds between until about 3am cst. That's with 140mbps up and 100 down and not using a wifi adapter. Typically no lag though as the night draws on and fewer us players are awake it tries to connect west coast players and that's sometimes slower but since their 1v1 it's still a virtually lagless match.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
So online 1v1s are 1 ****ing stock now? WTAF?

This online mode needs a buff more than Kirby and that’s saying a lot. Unreal.

Last edited:

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
That makes me wonder what the FFA Smash Tourney's rules are now. I'm calling it, it's probably 1 stock, 2.5 minutes with items on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom