• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Tournaments: Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Thank youuuuu. Too many tourneys nowadays. z_z

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Thank you a lot, this should be infinately helpful.

I look forward to your decision.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*insert generic response here*

In all seriousness, it's nice to see that some offical regulations will be made on this board. Are they also determining the sign up requirement "bill" that Glyph made?

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Half the people in these tourneys forget they even signed up. ;)

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I think there should be requirements to start threads in this part of the forums. not necessarily a blue name, but maybe a certain number of posts or an invitation-only sort of thing. Just to cut down on the crappy tourneys that take forever and end up dying out in the end because of poor organization or an inactive host.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think there should be requirements to start threads in this part of the forums. not necessarily a blue name, but maybe a certain number of posts or an invitation-only sort of thing. Just to cut down on the crappy tourneys that take forever and end up dying out in the end because of poor organization or an inactive host.
This is probably one of the biggest things that annoys me about this board. My goal is to try to make people take competitive online more seriously as a viable form of competition and stuff like this definately makes people look down on it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nope, did not intend to lock thread.

Right now we will NOT restrict who can post tournaments.

Alternatives are being discussed though, like some seperate forum for Online TO's, or a forum (with a designated leader) to organize when tournaments will be and who gets stickies (yes, finally, stickies!).

We do not want to get rid of the free market that is Smashboards tournaments.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
idea! what you do is keep like a list of people who run tournaments and such and what you do is next to a tournament hosters name you put like a percentage rate of how many tournaments of theres were succesfully run or not(if not, makes sure its because of them and not the entrants) so you can let people see how reliable that tournament owner is or not and anyone with like a bad % like 40% successful or less after 5 tournaments won't be allowed to run tournaments if there a lot up at that time but otherwise its good for entrants to know so they can decide if they should count on it happening...just my two cents, not sure if there is a way to do this though

Boon :o

Smash Journeyman
Dabuz's idea ia pretty nice with the tournament's reputation determining who can run tournies that that get "the stickies", if I Alpha put Alpha's thoughts with that.
~Although I'm prob saying this from a biased since I've hosted like... 21or something tournies over here. -.-

I'm sure there's good hosts who've only hosted a small amount of tournies though, they just need some time to build their reputation up.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Tournaments can go bad for reasons that have no reason that involves the director, though.

For example, sometimes you just can't get enough people to sign up. That doesn't guarantee that the director is unfit, just that people weren't interested in a tournament at that time.

Boon :o

Smash Journeyman
That could be a problem, but most of the time at least there's about 8 or more people who come, you can still host the tournament with the attendees that came, at least from my experience. Even if registration doesn't fill up, you can do a bracket out of those 8 or more or a robin round.
Under 8 people I'd just automatically do a robin round, so it'd still be a tourney, just a small one >.>

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Alternatives are being discussed though, like some seperate forum for Online TO's, or a forum (with a designated leader) to organize when tournaments will be and who gets stickies (yes, finally, stickies!).

You know what would be nice? A stickied Online Tournament Calender that people could reference so that we don't have a ton of tournaments around the same date.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
There's already a calendar that we could add our tournaments on to. Its just that the majority of SWF doesn't even know it exists.

So yeah, a thread that would keep track of all tournaments both in progress and in waiting would be ideal.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

theres were succesfully run or not(if not, makes sure its because of them and not the entrants, it wouldn't count against the hoster if it was the contestants fault)
Tournaments can go bad for reasons that have no reason that involves the director, though.

For example, sometimes you just can't get enough people to sign up. That doesn't guarantee that the director is unfit, just that people weren't interested in a tournament at that time.
my qoute essentially explains what would happen ithat case, i got it all like planned out and stuff

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's already a calendar that we could add our tournaments on to. Its just that the majority of SWF doesn't even know it exists.

So yeah, a thread that would keep track of all tournaments both in progress and in waiting would be ideal.
I know the offline tournaments page had one but I didn't know it could be used for online tournaments too. Interesting...

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I just want a simple ruleset to prevent overflow of tournaments, and maybe a rulelist that the people wishing to join have to oblige to.
I dont like no shows

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Right now what I'm thinking is a simple solution:

I need a volunteer who is willing to check in here every week to see whats happening. That volunteer handpicks 3 tournaments each week that get stickys (2 short term and 1 long term). The volunteer will PM me each Monday (or something) about the threads that need stickies for the upcoming weeks (if this person works out for awhile (months), they may even get elevated to mod of this room).

The volunteer will also be in charge of updating a sticky thread dedicated to organizing who gets stickies/trying to get people to move online tournaments around.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
well, i am able to check everyday, im always on time and responsible and think i would be good for the job so im throwing my hat into the ring

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I'm also willing to run the thread, and I'd like to suggest Fatmanonice as well.

Probrawler, myself, and him are all on regularly and have significant knowledge of how online tournaments are run and setup here.

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
I'm also willing to run the thread, and I'd like to suggest Fatmanonice as well.

Probrawler, myself, and him are all on regularly and have significant knowledge of how online tournaments are run and setup here.
I second this. All three of us are on pretty often and have experience. I do more work behind the scenes though. I have run tournies but not as many as some due to the simple fact that it just wouldn't be practical to do so at the moment. Just adding to the already enormous amount of online tournaments going on wouldn't help alleviate the problem.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice

what are stickies? im a smashboard noob so i really dont know all the terminology

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
So what is you guy's solution to this problem of tourney inflation. At first i had no problem with the fact that they are too much tourneys until some of the hosts were inactive. If all of the hosts were active then this numerous amount of tourneys would not be a problem for me. This is just an opinion though.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
A sticky is a thread that is kept at the top of the forum, regardless of whether or not it has the most recent post.

This solution should be effective, simply because the higher up a thread is the more likely it is to get attention.

@Alpha, when can we expect that poll to be made?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
A sticky is a thread that is kept at the top of the forum, regardless of whether or not it has the most recent post.

This solution should be effective, simply because the higher up a thread is the more likely it is to get attention.

@Alpha, when can we expect that poll to be made?
I would like to know this as well

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Are people going to start banning tournaments unless made by an experience smashboard memeber?
They already said that they're not restricting who can hold tournaments, but rather they're giving stickies to help fill ones that are run by people who've proven themselves to be competent directors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom