• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online (SheerMadness) vs Console (Darth Rancorous)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
First off let me state that this is all in good fun. Anyone can ask the FL melee community and they'll tell you that I am probably one of the nicest and most humble smashers around. No disrespect or ill-will meant towards anyone on this thread, especially Darth. :)

Anyway a lot of console elitists on here seem to think that console skill trumps online skill. Well this weekend I'm playing Darth Rancorous who only plays on console. As for me, 99.9% of the ssb64 I've played over the past 5 years has been online. Were playing on console.

Who has the advanage here? My 5 years of experience playing online or his pure console experience?

Bets starting now!!

malva00

Smash Master
what kind of dumb question is that you have the advantage

darth rancorous pushes the joystick way too hard lol

and console skill does trump online skill

isai console > isai online

sheermadness console > sheermadness online (eventually)

jake on console > jake online

the contest is not between two different players

DMoogle

A$
I would bet on you, but I'd still be worried that you're overconfident about how quickly you'll be able to adapt to the lack of delay (for two reasons: no delay allows you to do things you simply cannot do if you have a certain amount of delay, and, more importantly, I think your timing will be off).

However, I don't think that says anything at all about "console skill" or "online skill."

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Nah whats dumb is all the people who trash online play which results in threads like this.

Battlecow

Play to Win
SheerMadness all the way. Online=experience against all sorts of shizzy players, whereas console= experience against the few good players that you can go up against on a regular basis. Obviously console Sheer trumps online sheer, but Sheer's online experience is the deciding factor in this one.

I can has vids plz?

Warm Milk is Nasty

Smash Rookie
SheerMadness all the way. Online=experience against all sorts of shizzy players, whereas console= experience against the few good players that you can go up against on a regular basis. Obviously console Sheer trumps online sheer, but Sheer's online experience is the deciding factor in this one.

I can has vids plz?
No, sorry!, Offline game play makes you better when your ready for online play.

Offline and Online Experience vs Online only Experience

rpotts

Smash Lord
what kind of dumb question is that you have the advantage

darth rancorous pushes the joystick way too hard lol

jake on console > jake online

the contest is not between two different players

isai online

malva

10malvas

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^ This post made me laugh.

Offline is only better than offline if you can find an offline community. If you live let's say, in the middle of an area where everyone by you plays the other smash games and there hasn't been a smash 64 tournament in the area for the past 2 years, would play online.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
is it very importan for north americans decide which is better than the other? I mean the online vs console . This thread is out of control.
Just enjoy your gameplay and laugh when you kill yourself =P

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
All Isai is saying is that you will play better during your console play than your online play. He's not saying online experience is different than Console experience comparing two players. Those are two different things. You twisted his argument.

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
Don't understand the hate on online play. Without it, the community would be smaller, and almost everyone would be terrible.

killa k

Smash Ace
I'm betting on Sheer. Online play gets you a lot more experience against a great amount of diverse players while console (in most cases x1) you only get a few players, which you probably (in most cases x2!) play repeatedly which (in most cases x3!!) results in less improvement.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Malva has changed his stance in the matter multiple times. I could easily go find posts of him saying "online ssb is fake" or "online ssb doesn't matter" or "online ssb doesn't count".

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Malva has changed his stance in the matter multiple times. I could easily go find posts of him saying "online ssb is fake" or "online ssb doesn't matter" or "online ssb doesn't count".
<malva00> Online smash is a warm up.

malva00

Smash Master
"online ssb is fake" that is true it doesn't show your real skill

"online ssb doesn't matter" lol go ahead and try to find one of these. even if you find one, it only means beating someone online doesn't matter much cuz you haven't beaten their real skill on console. this goes for the people who take pride in taking me down to X stock online or beaten player X's character Y with Z stock remaining online

i haven't changed any of my "stances" lol don't let this guy fool you he's not me

on the other hand we have online n00bs like this guy and dmoogle thinking 1-3 frames is basically the same thing as console skill. that's only true for n00bs not for pros

smasher is right online is only a warm up for the real thing lol

SheerMadness

Smash Master
K so if online smash is fake I shouldn't have a chance against a pure console player.

And I like how you call anyone who doesn't agree with you a noob...

I think me and A$ would be 2 of better players in the north america online or console.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
K so if online smash is fake I shouldn't have a chance against a pure console player.

And I like how you call anyone who doesn't agree with you a noob...

I think me and A$ would be 2 of better players in the north america online or console.

Sheer, lol... online smash is "fake" because slow downs could happen, ds could happen, or something random could happen. The smash64 rom thats so popular isn't stable at all. Its a non-MIO0 compressed rom like many other n64 roms which makes the memory less usable which in some cases could result to lag on some emulators or crashing or just going boom and restarting. For example, when using Nemu64 0.8 with Smash bros (U) version when you do double falcon punch the emulator will crash or sometimes restart your computer. But i think smash64 rom is very stable sense i never see any rom bugs compared to N64 game. Also online smash is just unstable. Online smash results in emulators being forced to play at same time which they were not meant to do. Kaillera.com, Emulinker, and Suprafast have all tryed to make or remake servers to make it better to less chance of ds, to force more delays for less chance of ds but have never won the battle of emulators playing 100% stable online without ds or ugly issues. Offline smash is compared to be the real smash because it is the actual real smash with NO DELAYS. You can't get anything better then the real thing simple as that. Offline console smash isn't about getting experience, what malva is saying is its about the fact that it is better then playing online sense it doesn't ds or have random slow downs due to someones computer or internet connection. Also if you want to wine about n64 slowing down then lets talk about the VC on wii. the Wii's smash64 is 100% perfect in my opinion. There are no blowing into game hopping it will work stuff it will actually work all the time. Yes online play gains you experience in result the fact you get more in detailed with the games basics to be able to play the game with enough skill to prevail over the other person. Also, the way you said
Thats just ******** lol. Ill use my self as an example. You, sheermadness lost to me online many times no matter what you say. Same with A$ which in my opinion is no were near as experienced in his gameplay as most higher skilled players on console or online so i don't even know why you said anything about him. Also, theres one person I'm thinking of right now who's better then both of you right now. Also restrictions to your computers OS are needed sense Mac OS users can't play kaillera smash sense no mac emulators support kaillera sadly.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
we should create a network adapter for n64s so that online = console... then maybe people would remember its a game and play for fun

NixxxoN

Smash Master
we should create a network adapter for n64s so that online = console... then maybe people would remember its a game and play for fun
It would still have delay/lag and probably some other issues that would make it different than offline console.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Looks like SheerMadness is striving to make an unecessary division amongst console and online players, in case there isn't one already. Good ****, Sheer.

EDIT: Don't take this too seriously, I know he's not.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Sheer......I was avoiding this, lol. You're too nice to argue with.
I am pure console player.

Literally I played online for like 2 weeks, but stopped because my computer/internet sucks. Some days it was good, some days it was horrid. I don't want to force people to deal with my lag. I can't really give an "experienced" opinion on it because I wasn't using the right equipment for the best online experience. Buuuuuut from what I've played, it's nothing like console (even the emulator offline, with a 64 controller). I really can't play at my best, so I understand the whole winning online doesn't matter thing. It's funny because when I did play, I thought to myself "this is like weighted training"......like a warm up:chuckle:. I think it's tight how you can play really well online though- although I guess that's your default setting. I also agree the players in general are better, and I got to play people who were good with all the characters. It's like having a friend that mains ever character right at your finger tips.....in theory. Then I remember I can't play (anywhere close to) my best, and my dreams are shattered. But I've played you multiple times in real smash and I know your Yoshi iz 2good from online experience, so that's awesome. I would be online too if my internet didn't suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom