• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

online pet peeves

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I've played one Bowser user, two matches. Bowser basically auto-wins unless you two-stock him. I had him to like 100 the second time and my last stock was pristine, and he just side-b, win. Fml. It took two times to learn my lesson (go no where near the ledges while bowser is on the ground on your last stock), so fair is fair. Haven't come across one since however.
You can influence the trajectory of the Flying Slam by holding a direction on the joystick, so always hold towards the stage if you get grabbed. He shouldn't be able to Bowsercide you unless you get grabbed off the stage.

Nevertheless, it is very true that if Bowser gets the first stock, he's very hard to beat, thanks to the Rage mechanic. Bowser is very heavy and it takes a LOT to kill him, without the knockback boost from Rage he typically needs like 160% damage to finally die, and he can really put the hurt on you when you're trying to get that stock off. The Rage mechanic makes 2 stocks a pretty bad setting since the person who gets the first kill gets such a huge advantage.

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
You can influence the trajectory of the Flying Slam by holding a direction on the joystick, so always hold towards the stage if you get grabbed. He shouldn't be able to Bowsercide you unless you get grabbed off the stage.
No kidding?? Thanks bro (or sis for all I know) Protip added to the collection fund lol

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
No kidding?? Thanks bro (or sis for all I know) Protip added to the collection fund lol
I need to get a more masculine avatar, that's like the third time in a couple days that someone thought I could be a girl lol.

(incidentally, my avatar is also a boy, he's just an adorable baby rabbit / cat-thing).

Uffe

Smash Hero
I can't stand salty Mac dittos. If you see me thrashing you with your best character, why would you pick Mac and get further destroyed?
Lol. "Little Mac is easy! I'll show you!" That's like Brawl with Meta Knight defeating you and then you choosing Meta Knight only to get defeated because he's not as easy to use as you thought he'd be. Not you personally, just those who think that way.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Okay yeah, I hate Ness with a passion now. Whenever I encounter one online, the person constantly spams PK Fire. I hate that crap.
Same sort of thing with little mac. His KO punch might as well be called, "easy to obtain final smash." Not to mention all of the little macs I've encountered always spam his side-B.
Screw Ness and Little Mac online.

Also for glory is a little... eh. I like it... but I also hate the fact that people who obviously aren't good enough to do anything BUT spam show up all over the place.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Interesting that predictability is what people seem to find most annoying, when really that should be celebrated because it makes your opponent that much easier to beat.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Okay yeah, I hate Ness with a passion now. Whenever I encounter one online, the person constantly spams PK Fire. I hate that crap.
Same sort of thing with little mac. His KO punch might as well be called, "easy to obtain final smash." Not to mention all of the little macs I've encountered always spam his side-B.

Also for glory is a little... eh. I like it... but I also hate the fact that people who obviously aren't good enough to do anything BUT spam show up all over the place.
Sounds like you need to encounter non sucky Ness' then. I know that pain. I encounter a lot who spam his grabs and PKT2...right off the stage and/or straight into my fully charged bat.

Another thing I can't stand is people who constantly try to grab, throw you off the stage, and try to d-air you. If you want it to work, at least try to be fast enough and don't kill yourself in the process. I can only stand there peaking over the ledge trying to comprehend what you just did. Then half of the time they SD after. It's a free win, but still.

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice

Sadly, Ness's only options in neutral are PK Thunder, PK Fire, Fair and Bair. PK Fire has a pretty substantial ending lag that makes it unsafe when spaced incorrectly. You can even short hop to dodge it because the sound cue makes the attack heavily choreographed, and it gets even worse when used in the air because now there's landing lag that's a problem.

The only issues I have online is lag because it gets incredibly difficult to aim PKT2 back onto the stage.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

Well your lucky I don't spam...that often...okay I do once and awhile use constant PK Thunder 2s, but only because its satisfying to actually hit with it, but other than that i'm pretty diverse with Ness.

Kjaerlighet

Smash Rookie
Lol, I'm guilty of this. :p But I do it as a little celebration, not to rub it in their face. Like I acknowledge they're the better player but it does feel good when you FINALLY manage to KO them, precisely because they're better.
never thought of it like that. thats cool but i doubt others are like that.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Interesting that predictability is what people seem to find most annoying, when really that should be celebrated because it makes your opponent that much easier to beat.
I play online for a challenge. I couldn't care less about my win/loss record.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Input lag and the awkward slide pad making me throw out the wrong moves, Like a smash instead of a til , or vise-versa, or a wrong directional attack. Also stalling by spamming dodge rolls.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Don't play PM, lol.

The thing is, PK Fire actually is one of Ness's best neutral options. Even good players are going to be using it in situations where it's safe because he gets a lot of reward off of it. Ness's neutral game in some matchups is basically just PK Fire and Fair.

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
I hate that I've started to hit that point where I get frustrated, when I really shouldn't.

It's so weird how for the first couple of days I'm doing pretty good online, winning more matches against people than not. But now it feels like I'm at a point where everybody is better than me, and just in a day, my win percentage dropped drastically. I remember earlier I mentioned how I want to not care about a silly number, but it's just so irritating. And I'm positive that my frustration is affecting my gameplay, too... Hell, I'm even struggling in the single player modes more than I usually do!

I know sometimes I feel like I am doing worst (reflexes) so after a match, I go take a walk around house to freshen my mind.
But I do hate somehow I get input lag though and my smash attack didn't go through.

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
Input lag and the awkward slide pad making me throw out the wrong moves, Like a smash instead of a til , or vise-versa, or a wrong directional attack. Also stalling by spamming dodge rolls.
Yeah, somehow the input lag/circle pad led me to fail that super armor smash. Plus it also led me to run off the stage when I wanted to do a pivot f tilt

Navirik

Smash Rookie
:4bowser: who just spam bowsercide
:4littlemac: who spamming haymaker and fail dashs.

It would be nice to meet another :4bowser: who does not just spam bowsercide.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
:4bowser: who just spam bowsercide
:4littlemac: who spamming haymaker and fail dashs.

It would be nice to meet another :4bowser: who does not just spam bowsercide.
I do that from time to time on people who spam moves over and over. (Bowsercide)
But when its someone who is actually playing the game and I'm bowser, I play legitimately.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Alright everyone. I stuck it out this one time I SDed. I won the match. will be uploading it soon. I did however run into some noobs and I'm getting better at punishing.
Can someone give me advice on doing this though?:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Alright everyone. I stuck it out this one time I SDed. I won the match. will be uploading it soon. I did however run into some noobs and I'm getting better at punishing.
Can someone give me advice on doing this though?:

Well I'm not a Ganondorf main but I'll try to give some pointers.

Okay first off you're using a lot of unsafe moves at bad times. Early on (Around the 0:14 mark) you use the same move twice in a row which is why you got read and shielded. He could've grabbed you right then but he didn't. At the end of your first stock you were having trouble landing because of Greninja's speed but you should've tried to get back on the ground. Down B or Side B would've been good for that if timed right, but watch out because Down B is punishable. Try not to land right next to Greninja if you use it. In fact, go for a ledge if you are getting juggled like that.

Sometimes I see players allow themselves to drop below the stage before they really start their approach. This is risky so practice it in Training mode before taking it to FG, but if you can pull it off it'll make it so that Greninja can't just projectile spam against you. On the other hand, be careful that you don't get meteor spiked by Greninja while doing this. If you see him going for it, try to catch him with your Up B, but be sure to hit with it or you're gonna have a bad time. If you hit with Up B, you'll get a bit of vertical distance while he suddenly has to recover and then race back to the ledge. If you miss with Up B, you just lost a stock. In the end it's better to take the chance than lose a stock for sure, though.

If you're tumbling in the air and he's securely on the ground, don't DI towards him. It can be easy to form the habit of always approaching your opponent, but that's a bad habit to get into, especially when you're airborne and tumbling. If you can't attack in your current state, you're just giving him a free chance to hit you.

Greninja's speed advantage is gonna be hard to overcome, so you're gonna need to focus more on high-priority moves or moves with good range. Down tilt tends to be good for this. Ganondorf's jab comes out relatively fast so that's good too. Side tilt can help, but avoid Ganondorf's up tilt unless you've got a REALLY good punish chance. Save the slow, laggy specials and smash attacks for when Greninja is in recovery lag or landing lag.

There's probably other advice that's better than this, but I'd start with that.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Well I'm not a Ganondorf main but I'll try to give some pointers.

Okay first off you're using a lot of unsafe moves at bad times. Early on (Around the 0:14 mark) you use the same move twice in a row which is why you got read and shielded. He could've grabbed you right then but he didn't. At the end of your first stock you were having trouble landing because of Greninja's speed but you should've tried to get back on the ground. Down B or Side B would've been good for that if timed right, but watch out because Down B is punishable. Try not to land right next to Greninja if you use it. In fact, go for a ledge if you are getting juggled like that.

Sometimes I see players allow themselves to drop below the stage before they really start their approach. This is risky so practice it in Training mode before taking it to FG, but if you can pull it off it'll make it so that Greninja can't just projectile spam against you. On the other hand, be careful that you don't get meteor spiked by Greninja while doing this. If you see him going for it, try to catch him with your Up B, but be sure to hit with it or you're gonna have a bad time. If you hit with Up B, you'll get a bit of vertical distance while he suddenly has to recover and then race back to the ledge. If you miss with Up B, you just lost a stock. In the end it's better to take the chance than lose a stock for sure, though.

If you're tumbling in the air and he's securely on the ground, don't DI towards him. It can be easy to form the habit of always approaching your opponent, but that's a bad habit to get into, especially when you're airborne and tumbling. If you can't attack in your current state, you're just giving him a free chance to hit you.

Greninja's speed advantage is gonna be hard to overcome, so you're gonna need to focus more on high-priority moves or moves with good range. Down tilt tends to be good for this. Ganondorf's jab comes out relatively fast so that's good too. Side tilt can help, but avoid Ganondorf's up tilt unless you've got a REALLY good punish chance. Save the slow, laggy specials and smash attacks for when Greninja is in recovery lag or landing lag.

There's probably other advice that's better than this, but I'd start with that.
alright. all of this is useful. I will keep that in mind and give it another go. Yeah I know it's a suicidal matchup but what can I say? I rather not be one of those who switch to mac and then lose because I don't even main him.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Did you guys know you can block Jolt Haymaker? :O

Did you also know that at low percentages, Da Jay Hay is actually unsafe on hit? :O

Now ya do! Seriously, of all moves to complain about. His standard dash attack is better than that fail fish of a move.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Did you guys know you can block Jolt Haymaker? :O

Did you also know that at low percentages, Da Jay Hay is actually unsafe on hit? :O

Now ya do! Seriously, of all moves to complain about. His standard dash attack is better than that fail fish of a move.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
starting to face a TON of counter players. Lucario, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Mac (obviously), and Greninjas all just spamming counter.

Why do people think thats a good tactic? it is SO EASY to read through that. Once i notice you like counter i start faking you out and kick your butt even faster. I play Lucario almost as much as Wario or Megaman (which are my mains) and i use counter maybe twice per fight? and it works because i establish i dont use it, so when i do it goes off.
Faced against someone just now that cycled between FOUR counter heroes (marth, ike, lucina, and mirrored my lucario). All four i just faked my attacks almost literally every time i went for him, and he tried to counter every single time.

Counters are bad. Shulk is the only one that even has a viable counter because that thing lasts longer than usual and has a shorter "dead time" not to mention HITS LIKE A TRUCK! lol. The rest are extremely situational. Way too easy to counter counter spammers (badumm tsssh!) quit doing it :p

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
-Lag.
-To many macs, Links and Mario/Dr.Marios.
- I always get my *** handed to me by Yoshi players for some reason.
-Counter spammers who do not properly counter.

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Would someone kindly fill me in on what the deal is with the complaints toward Little Mac? I don't play much online since I'm more of an offline player, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Is he just really overused, or what?

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Would someone kindly fill me in on what the deal is with the complaints toward Little Mac? I don't play much online since I'm more of an offline player, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Is he just really overused, or what?
It's really just that he's used so often. People want more variety in their online matches, so they complain when they see the same character over and over.

That said I don't think it's as bad as it was last weekend.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
It's really just that he's used so often. People want more variety in their online matches, so they complain when they see the same character over and over.

That said I don't think it's as bad as it was last weekend.
Ah, makes more sense now. Though he does seem rather easy to use effectively.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Ah, makes more sense now. Though he does seem rather easy to use effectively.
He's also really easy to counter once you get past the learning curve.

That said, it really depends upon the skill of the player. I think he can be pretty good if used by a good player.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
:4sheik: Sheik, though i say it in a good way, good Sheik players are tough but a total joy to fight, especially since i main Captain Falcon so approaching them is a challenge. I both cringe and smile when i face them.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
spamming dark pits.
getting punished hahaha

WaffleCone

Smash Rookie
So much Rosalina hate :'( .....

The most annoying people for me are the people that just spend the entire match rolling, even if they keep getting punished. Its just tedious to deal with.

Last edited:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
He's also really easy to counter once you get past the learning curve.

That said, it really depends upon the skill of the player. I think he can be pretty good if used by a good player.
I know what you mean there. One of my main Smash 4 rivals is a Little Mac main and he destroyed my Samus the first few rounds, but after that I was able to take advantage of his lackluster recovery.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I seriously can't stand dash attack spammers. It's literally all I see.

Also people that are super cheap (spamming moves/projectiles), and when they kill you they taunt all over the place as if they accomplished something.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I seriously can't stand dash attack spammers. It's literally all I see.

Also people that are super cheap (spamming moves/projectiles), and when they kill you they taunt all over the place as if they accomplished something.
You know what's fun? Dash through them, then turnabout cancel into a f-tilt or forward b.

Munchy

Smash Rookie
My problem is when you get the small, constant lag. It's irritating, and I just keep missing everything. At least when the connection is dodgy and freezes completely every 5-7 seconds, it's like having bonus time to plan ahead.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
My problem is when you get the small, constant lag. It's irritating, and I just keep missing everything. At least when the connection is dodgy and freezes completely every 5-7 seconds, it's like having bonus time to plan ahead.
The most annoying thing for me is that i keep getting these "fake matches" where there's so much lag that they replace your opponent with a lame CPU, so that neither you or the other player get banned for disconnecting.

Sybronx

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1392-6718-2632
starting to face a TON of counter players. Lucario, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Mac (obviously), and Greninjas all just spamming counter.

Why do people think thats a good tactic? it is SO EASY to read through that. Once i notice you like counter i start faking you out and kick your butt even faster. I play Lucario almost as much as Wario or Megaman (which are my mains) and i use counter maybe twice per fight? and it works because i establish i dont use it, so when i do it goes off.
Faced against someone just now that cycled between FOUR counter heroes (marth, ike, lucina, and mirrored my lucario). All four i just faked my attacks almost literally every time i went for him, and he tried to counter every single time.

Counters are bad. Shulk is the only one that even has a viable counter because that thing lasts longer than usual and has a shorter "dead time" not to mention HITS LIKE A TRUCK! lol. The rest are extremely situational. Way too easy to counter counter spammers (badumm tsssh!) quit doing it :p
Looks like the cat's out of the bag. I love punishing counters. All it takes is a good extra second/half second of charge time, and your opponent is in for some pain. I call it the counter-counter. :pow::coolmonke:

A skilled counter user waits, as long as they can, while the opponent charges their smash attack. The closer the smash gets to being fully charged, the more likelier they are about to let it loose, thus the more likelier chance your counter will succeed if you get the placement and timing correct.

Countering is risky business. The whole point of it is to willingly put yourself in the line of fire. The point of it is to get hit, so whether or not you succeed in countering, at least try/expect to get hit. (Everyone who's throwing out all these ill considered, spammed counters online aren't just using bad tactics, they're broadcasting their own inexperience. :129:)

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
I hate playing against Links always spamming their bombs and arrows. I beat them of course, but it's still frustrating...

Top Bottom