• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

online pet peeves

Tony_

Smash Ace
My only complaint about Smash 3DS is 4 glory mode. I go online and face a really good player that brings me to my limit and I have good matches against the player, but when the matches are over, that's it. There is no way for me to face that player again due to the thousands of players that are online. Nintendo should have implemented a way for you to add the players you face in 4 glory mode to your friend list so you can play them again.
This so much. SO MUCH.

Also, anyone taunting after a kill as if they are REALLY hot **** (hypocrisy incoming!). It doesn't bring my piss to an absolute boil, but its annoying all the same. Rosalina in general online seems to be a pain in the bum as well for anyone who is slow due to the Luma. I have to counterpick Fox or Falcon just to have a chance against her. Both my mains have no mobility whatsoever against her on the ground, or the Luma is too much of a pain.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Lucario is my newest online pet peeve.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
95% of the matches I play are against Macs, Lucinas, Toon Links, or Nesses
So, so much roll/counter/projectile spam
It gets really frustrating as a shulk player to have to go in and punish them because I usually have to read and punish rolls, which becomes almost impossible in lag

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Everyone who follows up their first match with Little Mac and then almost always suicides. I get that you can't handle my very mediocre Donkey Kong skills, but ****'s tough out there.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
New ones

Scrubs who accidentally beat me and think there top **** all of sudden and leave

In 4 player when you rack up damage on someone and SOMEONE ELSE STEALS YOUR F@&$ING KO!!!! (Hate that)

Scrubs who stand there. Wait to dodge your attack.

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
I see a lot against projectile spam...but seriously, if it works, and you keep walking into it...I'm going to keep doing it :/

I've been really liking Bowser Jr. Against Little Mac, and there's a lot of em out there, they mostly have to fight on the ground as his aerials are pretty bad. So, I will stand far away, drop a bot, short hop cannonball, and if he didn't get hit by those, he's normally airborne, so I Fair/Bair/Uair. Rinse, repeat. I can see why it can be annoying, but there are several ways around it that they just don't utilize (grab the bot, short hop, roll, dodge...he's fast). Not adapting to your enemy's strengths is an easy and deserved way to lose.

Also, I kind of wish there was a short message system after a match that let's you say "GG" or something. Sometimes I gotta go because of RL stuff but I might look like a jerk for leaving after a loss/win. I get it, Nintendo is incredibly anti-bully, fun zone, happy times, but being able to choose from a list of phrases wouldn't harm anyone.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I really hate the fact that For Glory is FD only. It's definitely not a stage that's totally fair for every character, as characters like Little Mac benefit greatly from it while others are hindered by the lack of platforms. This makes me not want to play some of the characters I like since I feel like I don't have a fair chance to win. They really should have also included Battlefield and a couple other fairly neutral stages like Prism Tower.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Little Mac spam, Rosalina rolling from side to side spamming. 100% defensive players almost causing a time out in for glory. The people that do nothing but run away and throw projectiles makes me want to throw my 3DS sometimes because in order for me to counter that my controls have to be precise which is hard to execute 100% of the time with how big my hands are. I keep getting frustrated but I remind myself this is just the 3ds version and is for fun. I'll concentrate more on input mistakes on the Wii U.

"If it keeps working I'm going to keep spamming"- I understand that. Also understand it's harder for a character like Donkey Kong to dash run towards an opponent charging a projectile then short hop, perfectly time a neutral air attack, and at the exact start of his decline to ensure it will hit. Trust me it's much harder to do this than some character charging/throwing projectiles at the other side of the screen. You can do it all day and I'll counter it all day(takes more time and the game becomes very boring) but the whole time in my head I'm saying "here we go again with another pansy scrub player". And the game has to be played out that way considering how slow big characters really are.

It's sad without L cancelling, crazy recovery frames, and big characters almost always on their backs after they get hit you almost have to 100% play at a spammers pace. This game caters to that defensive playstyle. If you don't want to play this way you're forced to play tier characters Greninja/sheik etc. Otherwise your character is like a floating balloon and a swing and a miss causes your opponent to run to the other side of the stage and start the spamming game all over again. Most of the issues playing with big characters needing more specialized accurate attacks will be easier to execute on the gamecube controller. Like I said I don't get too frustrated with it I have to keep reminding myself it's just the 3DS version.

Last edited:

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
-input lag
-Projectile spamming
-roll spamming
-grab spamming
-spamming in general
-Taunting when they're on their last life and they've only just killed me once.
-:4ness:,:4littlemac:,:4tlink:,:4zss:

I literally played a match against dark pit and all he did was his stupid electro-upperdash arm move.
Thank god I was playing as Lucina, and I counter spammed back.

Other than that, I'm having tons of fun with 1 v 1.

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
I've gotten really good as Rosalina and Luma.
And online I'm probably obnoxious as balls because I've gotten really good at keeping an eye on both of them separated and hitting multiple people and setting up combos.

I feel like half of you are talking about me :x

But then again, I change characters nearly every time.
I'm trying to get good as Shulk now (without spamming counter, btw)

The taunting is the only obnoxious thing.
I had one wario who thought he KOed me and taunted... then launched up as Rosalina and smacked in the face.
Rewarding.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
People who spam counter moves.
I forgot to mention this one. For Glory Smash is a total joke in its current state. People will literally spend the entire match spamming Marth/Lucina counter and pray that they somehow end up with the most KOs.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The big one is the lag. A side peeve is that the lag really benefits certain characters, like Little Mac. To a smaller degree, the Lucario scrubs. Every single Lucario player I've ever played against acts braindead, they just spam smashes and dash attacks the entire time. It never works, they always lose, I don't understand why they do it.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
Projectile spammers, people who get their ass beat until they win and then immediately leave

people on this website that incessantly complain about Little Mac even though he's so easily countered...

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
people on this website that incessantly complain about Little Mac even though he's so easily countered...
You're probably playing a character who has a good matchup against Little Mac. There's definitely some matchups where he does well. Close range fighters generally don't like that matchup much.

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Right... I've found my first real obnoxious match that got me slightly frustrated, and it was against my first Rosalina you guys have been talking about.
Yeah, you really look cool rolling around like an idiot across the stage, only to shoot your luma on the edge and hope for the best... Make sure you constantly taunt me too when I accidentally use Villager's Side B instead of up B when trying to return to the stage...
Probably a silly question, but how do you counter that? It's really annoying...

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
Projectile spammers, people who get their *** beat until they win and then immediately leave

To be fair, I leave after every match because I don't like fighting the same person over and over. Even people I have no problem beating, so don't say I'm just looking for easy wins.
And it would just frustrate me losing multiple times in a row to a Little Mac spammer

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
You're probably playing a character who has a good matchup against Little Mac. There's definitely some matchups where he does well. Close range fighters generally don't like that matchup much.
I main Lucina and second Mac, so that isn't the issue. I'm speaking of the people who will say "Oh, everyone sucks with mac, just guard-throw and gimp and they're so easy to kill" but then complain about how OP he is. Also I feel like the influx of Mac users is simply off hype, as he was one of the most anticipated characters, at least from what I've seen. I bet it'll die down eventually.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Projectile spammers, people who get their *** beat until they win and then immediately leave
I'm pretty sure they wanted to fight you because they knew you were the better player, and they wanted the experience. It's pretty common practice to fight someone better than you until you win at least once in my opinion.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, I leave after every match because I don't like fighting the same person over and over. Even people I have no problem beating, so don't say I'm just looking for easy wins.
And it would just frustrate me losing multiple times in a row to a Little Mac spammer
I'm somewhat the same way. I hate staying in matches with people I beat easily, so I give them a best of 3 just in case the first game was a fluke. With players that give me trouble though, I like to stay and see how well I can do.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Lucina's actually probably a good choice vs Mac thanks to counter and her general range. Mac can't just throw out FSmash brainlessly against her.

I play Yoshi and the Little Mac matchup is definitely in Mac's favour, Mac is super resistant to vertical KOs and Yoshi doesn't have good tools for keeping him out. I would just counterpick Battlefield, but of course For Glory doesn't let you. I think the fact that Mac always gets to play on the one stage where he's godlike is what makes people so annoyed.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure they wanted to fight you because they knew you were the better player, and they wanted the experience. It's pretty common practice to fight someone better than you until you win at least once in my opinion.
Idk man, I just feel like its a way to taunt someone. If someone beats me I want to play them again and see if I can adjust to the strategy or whatever. It probably isn't as big a deal as I make of it, but it offends me for some reason lol

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I think the fact that Mac always gets to play on the one stage where he's godlike is what makes people so annoyed.
Like I said, it's the same people who tell you to bait him to the edge and throw him off that are complaining about how OP he is.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Like I said, it's the same people who tell you to bait him to the edge and throw him off that are complaining about how OP he is.
I haven't been playing close attention, but I don't think that's actually the case. There seem to be two separate groups, those who think Mac is bottom tier and those who think he's god tier. I suspect he's actually mid tier, he's super good on FD but quite bad on most other stages, For Glory just makes him seem better than he really is.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Idk man, I just feel like its a way to taunt someone. If someone beats me I want to play them again and see if I can adjust to the strategy or whatever. It probably isn't as big a deal as I make of it, but it offends me for some reason lol
I guess I've offended some people online then, whoops! Never really thought about it your way before though, that's some good insight.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been playing close attention, but I don't think that's actually the case. There seem to be two separate groups, those who think Mac is bottom tier and those who think he's god tier. I suspect he's actually mid tier, he's super good on FD but quite bad on most other stages, For Glory just makes him seem better than he really is.
Ehh, I haven't either really. I was readin through this thread yesterday before I made my account and I just kept noticing people talking about Little Mac. I agree though, For Glory seems to be improving/destroying people's opinions of him.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
this is more mild amusement than an actual pet peeve, but players who see me playing little mac and just walk over to the edge and stand there.

son, I see what you're doing. i can see it from a mile away.
You might see it coming, but the 9 poor ******** I faced before you did not, and I'm gonna stick with what works.

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
"If it keeps working I'm going to keep spamming"- I understand that. Also understand it's harder for a character like Donkey Kong to dash run towards an opponent charging a projectile then short hop, perfectly time a neutral air attack, and at the exact start of his decline to ensure it will hit. Trust me it's much harder to do this than some character charging/throwing projectiles at the other side of the screen. You can do it all day and I'll counter it all day(takes more time and the game becomes very boring) but the whole time in my head I'm saying "here we go again with another pansy scrub player". And the game has to be played out that way considering how slow big characters really are.
Ya, I didn't mean to offend. I played a lot of SSF4, and complaints about projectile spam just remind me of that. I'll change up my strat if my opponent is able to make it through, because I know that it isn't going to work. In your example, the DK player was countering the projectiles. If the spammer isn't realizing this, and just keeps going, then yes, he's bad and doesn't know how to play a long-range and close/mid-range. Good players should learn both.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Pacman players who do nothing but drop fire hydrants and throw car keys at me all game annoy the crap out of me.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Ya, I didn't mean to offend. I played a lot of SSF4, and complaints about projectile spam just remind me of that. I'll change up my strat if my opponent is able to make it through, because I know that it isn't going to work. In your example, the DK player was countering the projectiles. If the spammer isn't realizing this, and just keeps going, then yes, he's bad and doesn't know how to play a long-range and close/mid-range. Good players should learn both.
No I wasn't offended. My big hands have a hard time playing what I consider to be the harder characters to win with.

TrollheartBlue

Smash Rookie
My two biggest pet peeves are:

• People who play with their original dial up connection. Seriously, this game isn't fun at 1 fps. I'd rather take then ten minute rest period than get super frustrated at playing at that speed.
  • People who switch to Lil Mac once you beat their favorite character. Why do people think Little Mac is that OP? One example of many. Play against a Ganondorf main as ZSS. Slaughter Ganondorf. Person switches to Little Mac and keeps playing Little Mac until they get a win then quit.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
People who switch to Lil Mac once you beat their favorite character. Why do people think Little Mac is that OP? One example of many. Play against a Ganondorf main as ZSS. Slaughter Ganondorf. Person switches to Little Mac and keeps playing Little Mac until they get a win then quit.
Definitely my #1 peeve.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'm loving all of this RosaLuma salt. Sadly probably none of it is because of me. I'm the red-dressed Rosalina going by the name of Suigintou, if anyone has seen me, and yes I do roll spam sometimes. It's an effective tactic against people going full aggro without thinking about what they're doing, which is mostly what I see from Little Macs.

I used to dislike it when people taunted after a KO, especially if it was a KO that wasn't anything worth bragging about. Like say, I was chasing them and SD'd, or maybe I KO'd them first and racked up like 76% damage on them before they finally managed to take off my first stock.

Then I realized that I didn't really care if someone taunted for a "good" reason, but I found it absolutely infuriating if they taunted for a "stupid" reason.

Then I realized that taunting at stupid times was a very effective trolling tactic.

I really have to wonder how people are spamming projectiles as RosaLuma though. Unless you're counting the Star Bits (which really shouldn't count), she's got one projectile, and it's not even a fast one. More than that, it's not a projectile that you want to spam because you need it fresh for a kill move, among other reasons. If you're facing a Luma Launch spamming Rosalina then you're facing a Rosalina who doesn't know how to play. Also, if the launch whiffs you can jump over the Luma and be on top of Rosalina before she can recall her Luma, so the most she can really "spam" it is one time.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
  • People who switch to Lil Mac once you beat their favorite character.
You can't assume the character you beat was their main. Maybe Mac is actually their main and they were just trying out a different character first.

Khao

Smash Lord
This is kinda directed at some people in this thread:

People who think they have any idea what's going through their opponent's head even thought there's no in-game communication.

Why's a player that switched to the character you're using perceived as salty about their loss? Why's somebody switching to Little Mac automatically perceived as desperate to win because they apparently think he's an OP character? Why do you assume the first character they use against you is their main? Why are you assuming that every action your opponent takes is because they're pissed about how you defeated them easily on the previous fight? Why assume anything in the first place when the only thing you know about your opponent is literally just their name?

You act like your opponent is a whiny kid desperate to win, when for all you know it's someone laughing loudly at the other side, having the time of their life. It's like you want your opponents to be sore losers.

Last edited:

TrollheartBlue

Smash Rookie
This is kinda directed at some people in this thread:
You act like your opponent is a whiny kid desperate to win, when for all you know it's someone laughing loudly at the other side, having the time of their life. It's like you want your opponents to be sore losers.
You could have just quoted my post. And yes, you can't assume the first character was their main. I could be completely wrong in my guessing and everyone person that follows the pattern of:
  1. Play Character A until loss. (Or cycle through several characters playing each once for five games)
  2. Play Little Mac until victory (e.g. 5 games)
  3. Disconnect
Is just laughing and having fun and actually main little mac. To me, it comes off as salty sometimes. I could be completely wrong. However, this happens fairly often and I can compare their play with Lil Mac against the other character and sometimes it does come off as more desperate. I could care less; if my opponent is sore or not; it's just that I really enjoy playing against a variety of characters, but I seem to get stuck playing Little Mac often. :\

tl;dr The little mac mains are the ones that stick around and continue to kick my ass.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You can't assume the character you beat was their main. Maybe Mac is actually their main and they were just trying out a different character first.
Nah, you can usually tell it's not their main because of how they play. They'll play a half-decent version of some character and lose, then switch to an extremely scrubby Little Mac after they get beat. It's not hard to tell the difference between someone who actually plays Little Mac and someone who is just Dash Attack and FSmash all day long.

Gentatsu-

Smash Rookie
NNID
JessJuxtaposed
3DS FC
2079-6864-4769
Pet Peeves:
- People who give up quickly if they can't beat you. Or they hand their friend their 3DS. Dude, try to get better and stick around.
- Lag
- Errors

Things I appreciate:
- Sticking around after you hand my ass to me. Please continue playing me so I can get better.
- People with mains. Not only do you stick around, but you show me more about your main than the guy who never plays the same character twice.
- That topless shulk who played me and never attacked. We just danced and spammed taunt.

Top Bottom