• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

online pet peeves

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You act like your opponent is a whiny kid desperate to win, when for all you know it's someone laughing loudly at the other side, having the time of their life. It's like you want your opponents to be sore losers.
Oh, there's no question that they are, but you're probably right in that the real losers are those who take For Glory seriously. It's full of lag and you can only play on FD, it's not really a legitimate test of skill.

WhuTom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-9000-8776
I'm surprised by all the Mac hate. I've played 26 For Glory games and played a Mac only once. Didn't notice anything particularly nooby or cheap about his play, he won fair IIRC.

I was a Marth main in Brawl so I usually start a new For Glory session with him or Lucina (then go for C.Falcon or D3), but I only counter when the situation cries out for an opponent's attack. The less experienced players always fall for it when I'm recovering off the stage. The even less experienced players fall for it when they've ran full pelt the whole stage toward me and dash attacked for the 6th time...If it's telegraphed, I will counter.

I had a pretty douchey Bowser player earlier, that was about it.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
Nah, you can usually tell it's not their main because of how they play. They'll play a half-decent version of some character and lose, then switch to an extremely scrubby Little Mac after they get beat. It's not hard to tell the difference between someone who actually plays Little Mac and someone who is just Dash Attack and FSmash all day long.
I guess.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Every link ever. I swear those guys are like kryptonite for me

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
I really have to wonder how people are spamming projectiles as RosaLuma though. Unless you're counting the Star Bits (which really shouldn't count), she's got one projectile, and it's not even a fast one. More than that, it's not a projectile that you want to spam because you need it fresh for a kill move, among other reasons. If you're facing a Luma Launch spamming Rosalina then you're facing a Rosalina who doesn't know how to play. Also, if the launch whiffs you can jump over the Luma and be on top of Rosalina before she can recall her Luma, so the most she can really "spam" it is one time.
for me, its not luma launch ( which is easy to dodge). its that occasionally luma gets in the way and breaks combos. Ex. punishing rosalina just to have luma take the hits and rosalina break free or grabbing rosalina and getting hit by luma who can still be controlled.

its like fighting two fighters but ONE cant be damaged or KO'd for long

This is kinda directed at some people in this thread:

People who think they have any idea what's going through their opponent's head even thought there's no in-game communication.

Why's a player that switched to the character you're using perceived as salty about their loss? Why's somebody switching to Little Mac automatically perceived as desperate to win because they apparently think he's an OP character? Why do you assume the first character they use against you is their main? Why are you assuming that every action your opponent takes is because they're pissed about how you defeated them easily on the previous fight? Why assume anything in the first place when the only thing you know about your opponent is literally just their name?

You act like your opponent is a whiny kid desperate to win, when for all you know it's someone laughing loudly at the other side, having the time of their life. It's like you want your opponents to be sore losers.

after 12 matches it reads that way.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
You could have just quoted my post. And yes, you can't assume the first character was their main. I could be completely wrong in my guessing and everyone person that follows the pattern of:
  1. Play Character A until loss. (Or cycle through several characters playing each once for five games)
  2. Play Little Mac until victory (e.g. 5 games)
  3. Disconnect
Is just laughing and having fun and actually main little mac. To me, some it just comes off as salty sometimes. I could be completely wrong. However, this happens fairly often and I can compare their play with Lil Mac against the other character and sometimes it does come off as more desperate. I could care less; if my opponent is sore or not; it's just that I really enjoy playing against a variety of characters, but I seem to get stuck playing Little Mac often. :\
I would have quoted you if you were the only one, just wanted to get the point accross that no one really knows how their opponent is feeling at any given time, and assuming things won't help making things more enjoyable. But yeah, my last comment was kinda super unjustified, sorry about that. (actually, sorry if the post in general came off as condescending or something, not really what I was trying to go for)

Anyway, it's best to just realize that skill levels are going to be vastly different when playing online, and that some characters will always be more popular than others, what you might perceive as being desperate can very well just be a player that's far worse than you, but still giving out their best to learn the game properly. The best thing you can do is leave after fighting someone on a different skill level, which is usually what I do when I end up against someone who's clearly worse, or clearly better than myself. Sure, you totally have the right to be annoyed at it, but assumptions about your opponent won't help.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
For me, it's people who lag, Rosalina, and Little Mac.

I've found that anyone who has a semi-decent connection doesn't make the game lag. Even Japanese players can sometimes play together with me decently. So anyone making the game freeze and stutters for seconds at a time is surely playing on McDonalds Wi-Fi and needs to GTFO.

Also Lucina... just a personal thing. I hate her jerkoff face, I hate her jerkoff clone moveset, and I hate her jerkoff taunt, and the Awakening art direction just sucks, and she sucks as a character in it.

Gentatsu-

Smash Rookie
NNID
JessJuxtaposed
3DS FC
2079-6864-4769
Also Lucina... just a personal thing. I hate her jerkoff face, I hate her jerkoff clone moveset, and I hate her jerkoff taunt, and the Awakening art direction just sucks, and she sucks as a character in it.
You... really really hate Lucina. She must have done terrible things to you.

TrollheartBlue

Smash Rookie
I would have quoted you if you were the only one, just wanted to get the point accross that no one really knows how their opponent is feeling at any given time, and assuming things won't help making things more enjoyable. But yeah, my last comment was kinda super unjustified, sorry about that. (actually, sorry if the post in general came off as condescending or something, not really what I was trying to go for)

Anyway, it's best to just realize that skill levels are going to be vastly different when playing online, and that some characters will always be more popular than others, what you might perceive as being desperate can very well just be a player that's far worse than you, but still giving out their best to learn the game properly. The best thing you can do is leave after fighting someone on a different skill level, which is usually what I do when I end up against someone who's clearly worse, or clearly better than myself. Sure, you totally have the right to be annoyed at it, but assumptions about your opponent won't help.
No offense taken at all. Your last paragraph brings up a really good idea, and I should start leaving if I notice someone is significantly below my skill level or if I find myself in a matchup I've been playing all day. However, I like playing against people better than me. I spam "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES" and then steal them to become a better player myself! :D

TheAverageBear

Smash Rookie
Lag/Input Lag
When people beat me once and then leave
When I beat a bad player fairly easily, they rematch and win because I'm bad too and leave
When :4shulk:is really feeling it and constantly counters
When someone beats me and then switch to a bad char like :4ganondorf: (imo) and beat me with him like they're mocking me

:4kirby:s that spam Down B
When I taunt because I don't take taunting as seriously as others and the other player seems to get :salt:y and tryhards
When I try to Up B and accidentally do a Side B (See: BNF)
"Hey I'm playing :4pacman:. Dude look! I have a Down B! Check this out xDDD"
"He took one of my stocks! I'm just going to move around and barely do anything for the rest of the match"
When I have a win rate of 26.66% because terribad:salt::salt::salt:

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
Spamming counters
Spamming projectiles
Loses Loses Loses Loses Wins Leaves <-lol
Constant rolling

K-45

Smash Journeyman
- Little Mac's

-bowsers who like to bowsercide

- people who make megaman look bad

-I can deal with a bit of lag but I can't stand input delay

-spammers

-dark pit...................................

Last edited:

Gentatsu-

Smash Rookie
NNID
JessJuxtaposed
3DS FC
2079-6864-4769
Loses Loses Loses Loses Wins Leaves <-lol
I think that is acceptable. Really they are just trying to prove something to themselves, and it has nothing to do with "having the last laugh". And people like to end on a high note. After playing Smash for a decade with my friend who always had to have the last win, you start seeing it as just them being a bit insecure.

Mythrid

Smash Rookie
I loved Awakening's art so much! D:

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
People who keep playing if they beat you but quit the match immediately when they lose

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
Facing people who constantly dodge behind you and attempt Down/Front Smashes.
It feels like I'm just reading a 3rd grader text book all match as I keep charging Front Smashes behind me for them to dodge straight into.
Heck there's people who literally dodge to travel over half the freaking stage instead of just Dashing.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
May be that they have two mains (like me)? I wouldn't take it personally especially when you don't know the motivation for sure.
Haha, you're probably right. I tend to get too sensitive about silly things like that anyway.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Oh, there's no question that they are, but you're probably right in that the real losers are those who take For Glory seriously. It's full of lag and you can only play on FD, it's not really a legitimate test of skill.
I like that mentality, I should really start thinking that way.

For Glory is basically the training mode I always wanted, where I can fight against actual people and learn to get better, instead of constantly beating mindlessly aggressive cpus. Omega Mode, while limiting and potentially unbalanced, makes it easy to just focus on the character, and nothing else.

Earlier today I fought against a really cool person who was way better than me, and after 5 or so losses, I got to get better with a character I wanted to learn more about, and ended up actually getting to a point where our fights were neck and neck, and even won a game!
It's a shame that my internet disconnected on me, though... I wish there was a way to check the guy you fought's miiverse so I could friend him and thank him for helping me improve my game a bit.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
damn someone musta beat the absolute **** outta u with her

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Lol at taking Smash Bros seriously at all. It is a video game, no video game should be taken seriously. Also, For Glory is ful of lag for you.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
:4kirby:
Roll, roll, roll, roll, grab, roll, grab, roll, roll...
They tend to just play the runaway game until you try and punish them. Then they punish you for trying to advance the game a bit.

That's my experience with EVERY Kirby.
EVEN THE A.I.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I can add a few more things to this list.

Last night I was playing against a :4lucina: that I beat the first time, then he beat me, and then the third match all he did was run around the stage and barely tried to attack me. I said screw it, killed myself and switched opponents.

The other was a :4shulk: who spammed THE HELL out of the time counter. It was standard A, counter, counter, counter, counter, counter, counter, side A, counter, counter, counter! I beat him pretty easy, but switched opponents after that.

Aye!

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that in Doubles, when your partner disconnects mid match, he is replaced by a cpu.. a level 3 cpu. They might as well just give me a sandbag as a partner.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
1. People who dodge and roll excessively at high percentage, even when I'm nowhere near them.

2. Ness' who spam failed grabs to try and K.O me at high percentage. I'm a Ness player myself, and I'm not gonna walk into it. Get real. Also ones who spam PKT2.

3. People who spam dash attacks, grabs, and smashes when you're at a high percent.

4. People who taunt after killing me. Funny thing is they're usually at a high percentage when they do, and they taunt so late I can fully charge my bat and kill them afterwards.

5. People who think spamming a projectile is gonna work. If it doesn't work the first 5 times, it's not gonna work any other time against me. Same goes for moves.

6. Bad Mac players that give good mac players a bad rep because they're so awful with him.

7. Anyone who continuously spams counters like I'm gonna fall for it.

8. People who try to ditto me after I destroy them and they fail with said character...it's just an awful match.

Azizibesmashing

Smash Apprentice
people need to understand characters like sheik with projectiles
should be spammed, thats her whole purpose..
lol

online though HATE ROSALINA... JUST NOT ENOUGH OF THEM TO PRACTICE against :(

also i hate anyone better than me :) hehehe

D

Deleted member

1. Seeing Sheik players is easily my biggest pet peeve. Just fighting against her is absolutely annoying, especially with her Needles and Burst Grenade.
2. Lag in general. I've actually won matches because of input lag; the game isn't laggy by any means, but my actions are delayed. One match actually had my opponent accidentally run off the stage.
3. There are many Little Mac players and most of them are terrible. The sheer amount of Little Mac players and seeing him not being used properly is annoying. I have a feeling little kids play as Little Mac in For Glory just so they can spam-to-win as him. After a match with a Little Mac player, I leave the room since I don't want to deal with that crap. Honestly, I think that we should of had a Battlefield version of every stage instead of Final Destination.
4. This has only happened to me once, but I hate it when players get so desperate, they use suicidal grab moves like Bowser's side special just to win. I encountered one player in For Glory that was like that; I beat him a couple of times and afterwards he started to play as Bowser and immediately started the match by using his side special, KOing both of us. I know that you're salty over losing, but don't get that freaking desperate.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Imput delay on Ness second jump, ariels and PK thunder, it throws me off so much, and Ness is one of my mains and it is hard to show how good you are as him when PK thunder takes four seconds to move, only to make a U-turn.

also im sick getting your butt kicked by a character who was bad in brawl..ganondorf and link to be specific..

Dorizzle

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4227-2265-7992
Okay, so after several matches in for glory, I really become annoyed of four things.
1. Robin- First off, this character is hell of annoying with his projectiles. That's all they ever do. There hasn't been a single Robin that uses it strategically and I have to bait out their charged up shot because they won't move. It just slows down the game to much. I even went to sudden death in a match because we were both at high percentages and I wasn't going to let myself be fooled by it. So overall they suck.
2. Lil Mac- Most people that use him just spam the same move and roll. There is no point to it. I had clean two stocks with the other person having one. I lost to them. I could read everything they did but it was impossible to do anything with getting hit.
3. Lag- This just sucks when you're trying to play. It bores me quite a bit and it throws me off.
4. Rolling- This is like my number one pet peeve. Every single match that I have played ever in for glory is just rolling. I stand far away, they roll. I move, they roll. I shoot a projectile, they roll. I try to grab, they roll. It has been used so much that I should just roll the whole time and not play the game. I'm trying to get better and learn new moves and try different things but no I can't. I want to speed up the game because I don't want to waste 10 minutes on just two stocks. So generally I get punished(I know that they are going to shield and then grab or hit) and I loose. So I really really hate who spam the roll.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
I think that is acceptable. Really they are just trying to prove something to themselves, and it has nothing to do with "having the last laugh". And people like to end on a high note. After playing Smash for a decade with my friend who always had to have the last win, you start seeing it as just them being a bit insecure.
You can't say "it has nothing to do with..." with nothing to backup your claim but regardless it was just something that's annoying and laugh worthy.

Top Bottom