• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online- Nintendo isn't taking baby steps.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Exclusive sports games: The majority of Mario spin-offs

Racing Sims: Ya got me there.

FPS: Metroid Prime is the best FPS series I've ever played. Nintendo doesn't have much else, though.

RPGs: You seriously question that? Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario? Where you during sixth gen?

Metroid isnt even a FPS, its a first person adventure game. You cannot compare Metroid to Halo because those are two totally different games and genres. Said sport games are not even a serious attempt as competition to the other games on the market; 100% arcade.
Does any of these RPGs compare to the FF series, depth-wise?
Take a look at the other consoles and make a comparison then. Fact is, N did not have much to offer compared to other consoles. GC extremely lacked 3rd party support, thats no opinion, its a fact. And hey, as I've said, most, if not all of the musts featured the same old mascots. I dont see how ppl can keep blaming sony and xbox for lack of innovation when the only successful new series N came out with in these last few years is Pikmin? (my memory may be playing games on me tho; I don't remember much ever catching my attention)

What I'm saying is most people who buy Halo 3 won't touch another game, so why would there be CoD4 or Mass Effect?
If you think halo3 is the only game worth buying on the 360, that's you. There are plenty of games I'd like to play. Halo is not the only game being bought by hardore gamers.

Skate =[.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
@BentoBox

One other point after I saw your post edit I missed. Halo 3 had a enomerous budget as well to make things happen the way they did. From what I could tell SSBB probably doesn't have the finicanal status to encoperate such things, as I said before alot of decisions come down to dollar signs.

I'm not really saying I agree with the way Nintendo is handling it, I'm only saying that it's not a matter of laziness and there almost always reasons for why they do things the way they do.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Metroid isnt even a FPS, its a first person adventure game. You cannot compare Metroid to Halo because those are two totally different games and genres. Said sport games are not even a serious attempt as competition to the other games on the market; 100% arcade.
Does any of these RPGs compare to the FF series, depth-wise?
Take a look at the other consoles and make a comparison then. Fact is, N did not have much to offer compared to other consoles. GC extremely lacked 3rd party support, thats no opinion, its a fact. And hey, as I've said, most, if not all of the musts featured the same old mascots. I dont see how ppl can keep blaming sony and xbox for lack of innovation when the only successful new series N came out with in these last few years is Pikmin? (my memory may be playing games on me tho; I don't remember much ever catching my attention)

If you think halo3 is the only game worth buying on the 360, that's you. There are plenty of games I'd like to play. Halo is not the only game being bought by hardore gamers.

Skate =[.
Metroid Prime IS a First-Person Shooter. The game is played in first-person, and all you do is run around an shoot things. And Paper Mario is way better than current Final Fantasy games.

And I never said anything about Sony, they did extremely well last gen. Ratchet and Clank, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc. Sony owned everyone last gen.

lxmsheepy

Smash Rookie
With friends, you can brawl any way you like. And there are other modes besides just free-for-alls.
That was the most important part of the WiFi info on Smashbros.com to me. Finally, my brother and myself can play against other people. I mean, we can only do the Sheik/Zelda vs Peach/IC match so many times. =\

BentoBox

Smash Master
Metroid Prime IS a First-Person Shooter. The game is played in first-person, and all you do is run around an shoot things. And Paper Mario is way better than current Final Fantasy games.

And I never said anything about Sony, they did extremely well last gen. Ratchet and Clank, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc. Sony owned everyone last gen.
The metroid series focuses on discovering new areas, collecting stuff, solving puzzles... Yes, you do kill stuff with a gun and you do play in first person, but its an adventure game. That has been discussed many times already. Go read some ign articles. You cannot tell me that metroid resembles doom, unreal tourney, quake, GoW, SoF, Halo, etc. in any way.

GC failed.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Things like voice-chat are objective. But no rankings? No names?

METROID HUNTERS, had rankings, and that was on DS.

Yes, we're finally getting online.
Yes, it'll serve it's basic purpose.

But the problem is the simple fact that it falls behind games I can remember from as much as TEN years ago! If they're trying to be safe, why don't they add parental controls instead of limiting EVERYONE to this basic, gimped, version of an online mode?

Again, compare to Metroid on DS. Is this a joke?

And by the way, Brawl IS all about multiplayer. It's a fighting game. Single player lasts so long until you've done everything. The game is dominated by it's multiplayer, and that's all I've been doing in Melee. Stories end, and levels have a finish. Online allows you to havea constant source of ever-changing battles, as long as it's not gimped!

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Yeah i dont understand why ppl are so mad about no rankings. Smashboards will make there own superior ranking system anyway.

Spellman

Smash Ace
The metroid series focuses on discovering new areas, collecting stuff, solving puzzles... Yes, you do kill stuff with a gun and you do play in first person, but its an adventure game. That has been discussed many times already. Go read some ign articles. You cannot tell me that metroid resembles doom, unreal tourney, quake, GoW, SoF, Halo, etc. in any way.

GC failed.
That just makes it a unique, creative and original use of the First Person Shooter genre, it doesn't have to resemble every game of the past to be a First Person Shooter.

GC still failed statistically... although many will agree that it pumped out at least one or two amazing titles a year.

BentoBox

Smash Master
It does have to resemble most games if you wish to compare them on equal grounds, no? The basic foundations of the games aren't even similar aside from the fact that you get to hold a gun and shoot stuff. It could be considered as a platformer aswell since it shares some aspects with those types of games aswell. Metroid [snes] was considered as a platformer. MP would've been bad in 3rd person, thats how I see it.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Ah...no. Metroid Prime is definitely a FPS. Compare to Half-Life 2.

Not very different. puzzles are not exclusive to adventures.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Actually the thing is that Metroid requires item acquisition and retraversal - something not found in Half-Life. In Half-Life, though you still collect new weapons, it does not feature upgrades for your character, and has a very linear path.

If you've ever played any adventure game (Zelda) you'd know Metroid follows the traditional adventure-game style. It's a first-person perspective, but your objective is to explore and augment your character, fighing aliens along the way.

Therefore Metroid is - and has always been - an adventure game.

Now, I'm right. You know I'm right. I know I'm right. We shall stop brining this subject up starting now - let's talk about Brawls gimped online, shall we?

Spellman

Smash Ace
It does have to resemble most games if you wish to compare them on equal grounds, no? The basic foundations of the games aren't even similar aside from the fact that you get to hold a gun and shoot stuff. It could be considered as a platformer aswell since it shares some aspects with those types of games aswell. Metroid [snes] was considered as a platformer. MP would've been bad in 3rd person, thats how I see it.
lol I'm not saying that the same kind of person who would enjoy the traditional FPS would necessarily enjoy Metroid Prime, because there IS a different "feel" to it, but shooting from behind the helmet is still shooting behind the helmet, whether you are traversing across the plains of Tallon IV or trying to protect future Earth. Almost everything is an adventure with a destination anyways, unless your playing Tetris... (if you're looking for adventure, try Tetris Worlds!) I don't even see how people can call that a genre.

Edit: And I don't see how traveling back to the same area somehow makes it "not a game from the first person perspective where you hold a gun and shoot at people/aliens from said perspective". It's like a Final Fantasy player saying Zelda isn't an RPG. It's an action RPG.

Smash Ace
FF sucks.

Sorry, but I truly believe that Metroid IS a FPS. it pretty much screams it. but it also whispers that it has some adventure elements in it as well.

Certainly not as much as Zelda.

Pokemon is my kind of RPG since it's easy to play, not-so-easy to master--or, at least the cool ones (red & blue) were. (Pokemon is near impossible to master when playing against other people, since I don't think any 1 team is "The best")

0rion

Smash Journeyman
What are you talking about?

Why the hell wouldn't you be able to change the settings?

Anyone that is actually worth fighting..... Chances are you won't find them over Random anyway, the no info is irrelevant.

Seriously, the only glaring problems are with the "With Anyone" mode. I don't know about you, but I won't be using that much at all. Just get FC's from people here on SWF
So lemme get this straight, even if u get someone's Wii number u won't be able to challenge your friends or Smash veterans?

If this is da case, then this is some babyback bull$hit! Sakurai, u r on my enemy list 4 ever if u keep online like this!:mad:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Exclusive Sports games, racing sim games, good FPSes and quality RPGs were practically inexistant on the GC. I do believe the PS2 and XBOX had a lot more to offer, genre-wise. We've been playing with the same mascots for over 10 years, and yet again, it seems that only these games are the ones actually worth our money. Aside from twilight princess, metroid3, ssbb, mario? and a few more games, there isnt much catering to hardcore gamers. Ppl on Nintendo forums spitting on Halo due to the fact that its too generic really make me laugh.
Quoted for truth.

FF sucks.

Sorry, but I truly believe that Metroid IS a FPS. it pretty much screams it. but it also whispers that it has some adventure elements in it as well.

Certainly not as much as Zelda.

Pokemon is my kind of RPG since it's easy to play, not-so-easy to master--or, at least the cool ones (red & blue) were. (Pokemon is near impossible to master when playing against other people, since I don't think any 1 team is "The best")

I never played FF but if it's still going strong it must be good.

Metroid isn't a FPS, the developers said it was an adventure game only with shooting. The mechanics for shooting are far too simplistic so there's no way Retro created the game as an FPS, otherwise the morph ball, grapple beam, screw attack etc. wouldn't even be in the game. Why focus on mechanics that encourage adventuring when you're making a shooting game? It wouldn't make sense at all.

Pokemon is a horrible RPG. You grind your way to level 100, catch pokemon you'll never use, and use the same level 100 pokemon to one hit KO your friends in battles. That is the worst thing I've ever heard of. You know what's even funnier? You say FF sucks but at least [from what I've heard] they change the battle system. How long has Pokemon had the same boring 4 move, one pokemon sprite based system?

Since the begining. Refresh my memory, how long was Yellow out?

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
All righty, I haven't read through all of the insane pages just yet, but consider this if it already hasn't been said.

Nintendo's online will suck in our eyes because IT'S NOT BUILT TO CATER TO US. Nintendo is thoroughly built with the Japanese in mind, and they don't care about voice chat, leaderboards, such things like that. It amazes me that nobody considers this at any point.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Yal are so annoying with this online thing. Okay since random online play will suck then you can have in smashboards some way of adding other members who you want to your friendslist. With this then you dont have to play with items and play however you want to play your matches. Also dont complain about things you dont know, we really dont know everything just by the wifi update. Yal complain about the friendcodes but i bet yal will end up playing the same amount even if this friendcodes didnt exist. People please stop complaining:ohwell:

Ztevieman7

Smash Cadet
All righty, I haven't read through all of the insane pages just yet, but consider this if it already hasn't been said.

Nintendo's online will suck in our eyes because IT'S NOT BUILT TO CATER TO US. Nintendo is thoroughly built with the Japanese in mind, and they don't care about voice chat, leaderboards, such things like that. It amazes me that nobody considers this at any point.
Nintendo is different and always have been, god bless them.

We only have 3 major consoles, Wii, PS3, X360
Did you ever compared the similarity between PS3 & X360?
Anygame on PS3 (accept Metal Gear and Final Fantasy) will be released on X360.
Then you ask yourself, you really buy a 600euro console just for Final Fantasy?
Or you pick X360 because controls are beter to play Call of Duty 4 with rather on PS3?

Wii has is own style, if you not like it, thats your own problem.
If you look at the interviews about Soul Caliber 4 online part, the producers are making excusses before hand and scare the big jesus out of themself talking about the lag.

Sakurai have the guts to draw the line between online and offline.

Online = lag = not fair compete = fun (items, random stage, random opponent)

offline = no lag = tournament = serious (no items, time limit, stage limited)

it would be fun to use some items once in a while, if you know how many works there is been on just ONE item, physics and it act different from each character.

Puffs

Smash Ace
lol I'm not saying that the same kind of person who would enjoy the traditional FPS would necessarily enjoy Metroid Prime, because there IS a different "feel" to it, but shooting from behind the helmet is still shooting behind the helmet, whether you are traversing across the plains of Tallon IV or trying to protect future Earth. Almost everything is an adventure with a destination anyways, unless your playing Tetris... (if you're looking for adventure, try Tetris Worlds!) I don't even see how people can call that a genre.

Edit: And I don't see how traveling back to the same area somehow makes it "not a game from the first person perspective where you hold a gun and shoot at people/aliens from said perspective". It's like a Final Fantasy player saying Zelda isn't an RPG. It's an action RPG.
Zelda isn't an RPG, though. Kingdom Hearts is a good example of an action RPG. The player levels up an gains experience by battling in real time, as opposed to a turn-based game. The Legend of Zelda has no level system (save for Zelda II on the NES), and you get stronger by collecting new items.

Mari0sPooPoo

Smash Journeyman
Yal are so annoying with this online thing. Okay since random online play will suck then you can have in smashboards some way of adding other members who you want to your friendslist. With this then you dont have to play with items and play however you want to play your matches. Also dont complain about things you dont know, we really dont know everything just by the wifi update. Yal complain about the friendcodes but i bet yal will end up playing the same amount even if this friendcodes didnt exist. People please stop complaining:ohwell:
Don't say "yal" more than once or else no one here will take you seriously.

Sakurai have the guts to draw the line between online and offline.

Online = lag = not fair compete = fun (items, random stage, random opponent)

offline = no lag = tournament = serious (no items, time limit, stage limited)

it would be fun to use some items once in a while, if you know how many works there is been on just ONE item, physics and it act different from each character.
It's ok to be different in the sense that the wii is innovative in a lot of areas, but whats the point of those advantages if you still have out-of-date online? It's like having a huge 60 Inch Plasma Screen Tv that's not plugged in.

Zelda isn't an RPG, though. Kingdom Hearts is a good example of an action RPG. The player levels up an gains experience by battling in real time, as opposed to a turn-based game. The Legend of Zelda has no level system (save for Zelda II on the NES), and you get stronger by collecting new items.
I'd rather play Zelda more than KH any day...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That doesn't make Zelda an RPG. KH has more replay value than Zelda, I'm still item hunting in KH2 to max out Sora [yes, I am insane].

The best RPG Gamcube ever had was tales of Symphonia. There was nothing better, mostly every 'Nintendo RPG' was more like a game with a few RPG element, apart from Fire Emblem.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't make Zelda an RPG. KH has more replay value than Zelda, I'm still item hunting in KH2 to max out Sora [yes, I am insane].

The best RPG Gamcube ever had was tales of Symphonia. There was nothing better, mostly every 'Nintendo RPG' was more like a game with a few RPG element, apart from Fire Emblem.
That's your opinion.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Did you ever compared the similarity between PS3 & X360?
Anygame on PS3 (accept Metal Gear and Final Fantasy) will be released on X360.
Then you ask yourself, you really buy a 600euro console just for Final Fantasy?
Or you pick X360 because controls are beter to play Call of Duty 4 with rather on PS3?
Or buy a PS3 because it doesn't have a good chance of breaking, like 360's do. The price difference doesn't matter, due to Live costing money. Live costs practically nothing, yes, but over a few years the price difference won't matter (unless Sony starts charging for basic online).

I tried getting a 360 (because yes, they have a more compelling game line-up right now), and had constant issues from the get go (including one of the systems have RLOD), which is why I have a PS3 now. Best part is that I don't wonder if my console will die everytime I play a game anymore. Both systems will have plenty of content, but the 360 is currently the leader of the traditional gamer market, there's no doubting that.

As for Brawl. Yeah, some of the parts are kinda annoying, but it doesn't matter that much. Most gamers just use the "random matchmaking" service when they're online. If a game is ranked, it has to follow some set, uniform rules and you don't get to decide too many of the options. And you get people disconnecting, which is annoying as hell. And guess what, people don't really talk much online unless it's a PC game where they all have a keyboard anyways. Those that do don't have anything to say 98% of the time.

At most, we could ask for a "server" list, where people can host games... but that works better in FPS games with well over 10 people, and matches that last a good amount of time. Smash games are fast enough (and limited to four people) that being able to host a game isn't all that needed.

We have the core basics, which is good enough. Yes, there's extras missing that some other games have, but they aren't essential. And stop whining about lag. Every single online game has lag, some just mask it better than others. FPS games work great online, where a fraction of a second is also vital. I'm sure Smash will be fine online as well.

Sure, needing friend codes is lame, but it's the way Nintendo is doing stuff right now. And no, disclaimers will not work. Parents are stupid and will blame Nintendo if little Timmy learns swear words while playing a Nintendo game, regardless of what the parent could've done to prevent it.

Spellman

Smash Ace
You don't have to "level" for something to be an RPG, dungeon crawling and utilizing information from the various denizens of Hyrule are both RPG elements. I guess you could say collecting the hearts is one of the only ways that you increase in strength (a certain amount of hearts can almost guarantee your survival, just like a high level can.), but I don't think it's a mandatory requirement to have to level up to call a game an RPG.

Metroid isn't a FPS, the developers said it was an adventure game only with shooting. The mechanics for shooting are far too simplistic so there's no way Retro created the game as an FPS, otherwise the morph ball, grapple beam, screw attack etc. wouldn't even be in the game. Why focus on mechanics that encourage adventuring when you're making a shooting game? It wouldn't make sense at all.
Once again FPS doesn't have to mean shooting other people, and you can have an adventure while being a shooting first person. The control scheme isn't too simple for an FPS, it was successfully applied to the Nintendo DS Metroid Prime Hunters, to be used during multiplayer sessions (with some tweaking of course like removal of the lock on feature to add in more skill). Of course, multiplayer was available in Echoes, but was perfected for the DS.

I'm not denying that it's an adventure game, it can be both. Both the shooting gameplay mechanic and the adventuring element work beautifly together.

genosall

Smash Journeyman
in your computer waiting for when you get closer t
Idk who started this Zelda=RPG **** but it's an adventure game (a very good one btw) and who cares if brawl dosen't have perfect wi-fi!? that's not why i'll be buying it, don't get me wrong better online would be nice but smash is new to wi-fi and it's atill getting used to it so the NEXT (hopefully) smash im sure will improve on these things but for now im satified. :grin:

Spellman

Smash Ace
Idk who started this Zelda=RPG **** but it's an adventure game (a very good one btw) and who cares if brawl dosen't have perfect wi-fi!? that's not why i'll be buying it, don't get me wrong better online would be nice but smash is new to wi-fi and it's atill getting used to it so the NEXT (hopefully) smash im sure will improve on these things but for now im satified. :grin:
*raises hand* Guilty. I was using it as cannon fodder for my Metroid Prime argument, but I don't hold as strong a stance for Zelda being an RPG as I do for Metroid Prime being an FPS.

Games are becoming harder to categorize because they become a mish-mash of different genres. Like what the hell is Super Paper Mario. Some people will argue RPG, some people will argue adventure, some people will argue platformer, some will argue it's a paper-plumber-sim, and some will argue all of the above. I think I'm just going to drop it because I feel like I'm running around in circles here. lol

As for all this Final Fantasy business, I miss the golden age of Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy III (VI) for Super Nintendo, and the Playstation era Final Fantasy (i.e. especially VII) games were great. I don't know why I lost interest (maybe because I wasn't interested in PS2). I didn't like the route they took with Final Fantasy X-2 with the whole pop-techno dance team they had goin' on there. Final Fantasy XI Online wasn't the most exciting MMORPG I've ever seen, kinda dull and... brown from my perspective. As for the later ones, I didn't play them so I can't exactly judge, but there wasn't any hype or excitement before or after they came out, so I dunno. I know Square's still got some creative minds to wow us with, I just hope they can think of the next Chrono Trigger. It's hard to come up with all of this online integration for the stand-alone RPG to compete with. Nobody wants to play RPG's alone no mo'! Or maybe the stories today suck and pack no punch. I don't know. I'm lost. Maybe I've just lost touch with the fanbase. And maybe I'm going crazy. Where's my roof? wat is 'dis mess?

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
Hey heres something i found out about online, its a quote from the Nintendo site, them talking about the Wii zapper

Third-party publishers have lined up to support the Wii Zapper. EA's Medal of Honor Heroes 2 lets players take World War II into their hands with the Wii Zapper. The game features an all-new Wii-exclusive Arcade Mode that offers accessibility to gamers of all skill levels, a full single-player campaign and support for up to 32 players in multiplayer.
^LOOK AT WAT I UNDERLINED^

32 players in multiplayer?! thats a big step, i dunno if that is with FC or maybe with the 'Find anyone' search.. I dunno but it sounds cool! :)

Heres the link to where i foudn that out: http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=tKLWSECnuocCbX9H1Hd2keV2SxFFMmzE&page=

This may mean the online play may be better than MSC was... But i dunno, wat u guys think bout it? Maybe brawl will have like online Tourny mode! But i rly hope they imporve from wat i've seen in previous games

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Hey heres something i found out about online, its a quote from the Nintendo site, them talking about the Wii zapper

^LOOK AT WAT I UNDERLINED^

32 players in multiplayer?! thats a big step, i dunno if that is with FC or maybe with the 'Find anyone' search.. I dunno but it sounds cool! :)

Heres the link to where i foudn that out: http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=tKLWSECnuocCbX9H1Hd2keV2SxFFMmzE&page=

This may mean the online play may be better than MSC was... But i dunno, wat u guys think bout it? Maybe brawl will have like online Tourny mode! But i rly hope they imporve from wat i've seen in previous games
What they don't tell you is that they mean 32 players online, total. Like, in the entire country. Better get in line.

Puffs

Smash Ace
We've been saving princesses for ages, anything is considered deep compared to that. The simple fact that the FF series incorporate a solid storyline makes it deeper than any RPG Nintendo has ever made. Imo.
It's easy to simplify things. But with Zelda, when you step back and take a look at everything in OoT, MM, WW, and TP, you realize that there's a whole lot going on in Hyrule. Each FF is their own story, some are deeper. But do not try and tell me Zelda is just a princess search-and-rescue series.

genosall

Smash Journeyman
in your computer waiting for when you get closer t
It's easy to simplify things. But with Zelda, when you step back and take a look at everything in OoT, MM, WW, and TP, you realize that there's a whole lot going on in Hyrule. Each FF is their own story, some are deeper. But do not try and tell me Zelda is just a princess search-and-rescue series.
well althogh thare is a deaper story in these games but in the end 3 out of 4 of thogh games ARE a "princess search-and-rescue" but the story is at least is better then the mario series plotline.. ya know the plotline is much better then most ALL games that i own... and yes i have most FF games. so thats saying something.

and why aren't we talking about online with brawl?! thats what this thred is about!

Puffs

Smash Ace
well althogh thare is a deaper story in these games but in the end 3 out of 4 of thogh games ARE a "princess search-and-rescue" but the story is at least is better then the mario series plotline.. ya know the plotline is much better then most ALL games that i own... and yes i have most FF games. so thats saying something.

and why aren't we talking about online with brawl?! thats what this thred is about!
Good point. Time to move on.

Perhaps Smash Bros. online will only allow a few stages, similar to Mario Kart DS. I was rather disappointed to discover Waluigi Pinball was off-limits while playing online.

Top Bottom