• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online- Nintendo isn't taking baby steps.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
We have to understand that Nintendo is catering to a wide variety of audiences, not jsut hard core games, and not just soft core gamers. In order to get everyone interested, compromises have to be made, I.E. increased anonymity for concerned parents. However, how many people are going to even do random matches anyways? There will probably be a power-rankings system for SWF, as I'm sure was already set up by someone...their name escapes me. Basically, we'll all be playing with each other. It's not a huge hassle at all to add friend codes. I play Strikers with loads of kids here on the forums, and never once have any of us complained about how roughly 15 seconds to input a friend code is wayyy to involving.

::FalcoFTW::

Smash Apprentice
On the plus side, you won't have to listen to random ppls retarted taunts =) And anyway, the friend battles seem to be fully equipped besides the possible lack of chatting, so w/e. Go make friends and enjoy the wi-fi.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well, if you have a mic, there are ways of chatting. A couple people on the Strikers thread do it, although I myself don't. Primus is the one who first told me it was possible.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Would anyone really want little speech bubbles saying "gtfo joo lol" everytime they got KO'd online?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I have to say, sometimes nothing is more enjoyable than talknig trash online. I never do it when I play smash, but whenever I play halo 2/3 I do it like it is my job. Some of those little kids are so infuriating, I've said things that I would never reiterate in mixed company, since women and small children may be frightened lol.

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
We have to understand that Nintendo is catering to a wide variety of audiences, not jsut hard core games, and not just soft core gamers. In order to get everyone interested, compromises have to be made, I.E. increased anonymity for concerned parents. However, how many people are going to even do random matches anyways? There will probably be a power-rankings system for SWF, as I'm sure was already set up by someone...their name escapes me. Basically, we'll all be playing with each other. It's not a huge hassle at all to add friend codes. I play Strikers with loads of kids here on the forums, and never once have any of us complained about how roughly 15 seconds to input a friend code is wayyy to involving.
i play strikers also, freind codes in that game is not the problem since i am not a competitor in strikers nor do i want to be but plan on being with smash. i want to play as many people as humanly possible regardless of whether they know about smashboards or not.. i'm not just aching to play the people i already know through the boards and have played in melee about 10000 times not to say i don't want to play them again. but i want to search for new competitors and hopefully meet new people through the internet. and from what i see right now the way online smash is set up with what we know right now(which is still subject to change although they did say that it will only have 2 online modes) i won't be able to know who the hell someone is if they beat the piss out of me with play with others and for all we know you can't even choose the setting you want to play with. be it with or without items time, stock, or whatever people play.

So basicly what im saying is i wanna know who i beat and who i don't and i don't want to have to wait for my friends to be online in order to play online.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
The point of online is the fact that you can play with people you'd otherwise never meet. You can make new friends through a common interest that would otherwise be hard to find.
I agree one hundred percent. I'm away at college and all my smash bro buddies that continued on with Wiis are going to be able to playl with me still. I'm sure they'll be hosting local tournaments too if I want to get out. But what about the people that have absolutely no one around to play with face to face?

We have all the tools we need to take Smash Bros online with the setup Mr. Sakurai and Nintendo gave us. I can't believe people are expecting Nintendo to make the brawl online better. Ok... so we probably won't be able to join online tournaments setup by WFC itself. We can still make and host our own... it will take a little effort... but organzing any tournament will.

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
Don't you think they miiiiight know what they're doing with online? Do you have no faith at all in Nintendo? Haven't you been able to edit the settings for battles since Smash 64? Do you really think they DON'T read these boards? Doesn't tournament mode have those kind of settings? Why WOULDN'T wi-fi? That's just dumb.

Space_Pirate_Fox_McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Don't you think they miiiiight know what they're doing with online? Do you have no faith at all in Nintendo? Haven't you been able to edit the settings for battles since Smash 64? Do you really think they DON'T read these boards? Doesn't tournament mode have those kind of settings? Why WOULDN'T wi-fi? That's just dumb.
Outside of them reading these forums, which I'm sure they don't, it would make sense for them to include some option changing in the online mode, if anything, it being a little more limited than non-online play.

Spellman

Smash Ace
wait a minute... why don't you just put in your wii-code or whatever as one of your messeges so that if you liked playing wiht him/her you can play with that em' later?
Communication with random people from the Wi-Fi connection is strictly off limits. That includes the D-Pad messages. The only way to attain a friend code would be to literally exchange them with your close friends or over the internet (for example, these forums.)

Within friendly games anyways. I'm guessing when you are fighting random opponents, that the settings will be fixed. Because, how would that work, a voting system for rules? I don't think so. I have a feeling that they're going to make it Time mode or Time Stock to prevent matches from lasting too long, but ideally, I'd like the mode of choice to be Stock, 3 lives. Time Stock would be O.K. though.

Friendly matches should have interchangeable settings, but to what extent we will have to see.
----------------------------------------------
On a side note, does anyone know if hooking a keyboard into the Wii works with the Opera Browser? That would be sweet.

genosall

Smash Journeyman
in your computer waiting for when you get closer t
OH MY GOD!!!! your sig. can only mean one thing....

http://sexygirl.ytmnd.com/

watch it.

live it

love it

http://threehundredrevelation.ytmnd.com/

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to beleive people are actually defending these online blunders. Seriously If Miyamoto killed a Nintendo fan's parents, and had sex with their dead bodies every other Nintendo fan would defend the company by saying "at least you still have a brother"

The fact that we have to scour the forum for friend codes in general makes NWIFI fail. Besides, it takes two to have a friend code party doesn't it? Say I copy Chudat's code on SWF? Who's to say he'll copy mine back? Or if I play some random dude on Wifi who mained the same char as me and is better I can't find any way to contact or play him again? (SWF included) Bullish

As for the whole "NO SETTINGS GUYS!" I'm sure an update will show online settings. But I don't think there will be a update with Sakurai saying "Just kidding guys, our online won't totally suck balls" so I'm not expecting anything big for online play. Back to driving miles and miles to go over to a strangers house for tourneys! Yay! Go Nintendo Wifi!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Meh, not really about defending anything because everyone aware that this verison isn't perfect. But being a free online sevice it's never going to be in most cases.

In my view, I perfer to take it for what it is and not make a big deal about not having all the 'XLIVE' features attached

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure they do read these forums. A lot of those updates have been like direct responses to major threads here. Remember when people were lookin in the clouds? And then they dropped the movie where the clouds moved? Or how there were a bunch of threads claiming there would be no online because they didn't announce it at E3, and then the wi-fi update came? Or how Yoshi was only semi-confirmed, and oh hey look, there he is.
The only major thing they haven't responded to is wavedashing. And they have to take the general community into consideration, in that they wouldn't know what the **** a wavedash is.

Besides- this is THE place to go to find out about smash bros. on the internet, right? Why wouldn't they at least check the brawl boards? Customer feedback is one of the most important steps to design. And uhh, didn't Sakurai put up a poll asking fans what characters they want? They care. They read.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
The fact that we have to scour the forum for friend codes in general makes NWIFI fail. Besides, it takes two to have a friend code party doesn't it? Say I copy Chudat's code on SWF? Who's to say he'll copy mine back? Or if I play some random dude on Wifi who mained the same char as me and is better I can't find any way to contact or play him again? (SWF included)
Simply put... those who find a way to make it work... will enjoy the benefits it brings. I will not argue that the competition is going to be anything like official tournaments, but a lot who are involved in those are happy to hold true to their events, engageing in physical interaction with their opponents.

Meh, not really about defending anything because everyone aware that this verison isn't perfect. But being a free online sevice it's never going to be in most cases.

In my view, I perfer to take it for what it is and not make a big deal about not having all the 'XLIVE' features attached
I completey agree and I'm sure their biggest concern was making sure that it could actually function without too much lag.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Brawl's online isn't going to be like Xbox Live, but you can at least go up against people on Smashboards and ask other people for their Wii code (I suggest calling them at home.) and battle at whatever time you guys want. Nintendo definitely doesn't have the best online service, but IMO, getting Brawl online is enough for me. We still don't know much about Wi-Fi play as Sakurai has said that he's going to do more updates about it in the future. There's nothing much they can do now because Sakurai's too far in development and the game's coming out in about two months. Brawl's online could've been better and could've been worse, but we just have to stick with what we got.

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
:-D Thanks

I doubt they post, but c'mon. This is THE smash community. WoW developers read the WoW boards. Microsoft reads their boards. Apple reads the iPod boards. Where do you think they came up with the iPhone? They didn't. We did.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Brawl's online isn't going to be like Xbox Live, but you can at least go up against people on Smashboards and ask other people for their Wii code (I suggest calling them at home.) and battle at whatever time you guys want. Nintendo definitely doesn't have the best online service, but IMO, getting Brawl online is enough for me. We still don't know much about Wi-Fi play as Sakurai has said that he's going to do more updates about it in the future. There's nothing much they can do now because Sakurai's too far in development and the game's coming out in about two months. Brawl's online could've been better and could've been worse, but we just have to stick with what we got.
I keep hearing IGN is getting an exclusive hands-on of Brawl at their next media event. I'll look up a link or a news story to confirm...

Arteen

Smash Lord
I doubt they post, but c'mon. This is THE smash community. WoW developers read the WoW boards. Microsoft reads their boards. Apple reads the iPod boards. Where do you think they came up with the iPhone? They didn't. We did.
Who came up with the Wii? We didn't. They did. Besides, only a minimal portion of fans of any game or product discuss it on dedicated message boards. They wouldn't want to alienate all their other fans.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
He brings up a good point though. Obviously, we didn't invent the wii. But in MMORPG's, where there are updates, people are listened to more often since changes are made to existing software. iPod's are often created to suit the needs of people, and an easyier way to find out what people are thinking about, is to jsut look at a forum of theirs, as opposed to spending millions in useless research.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I highly doubt Nintendo looks at this site, they probably looked at Nsiders but that place was a just a bunch of spam anyway.

They'll probably make Brawl the same way they made SSB64 and Melee, with little to no use of feedback from the fans.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Even if they looked for feedback, it wouldn't be from us. We're the low men on the totem pole. Japan upsets me T_T

BentoBox

Smash Master
:-D Thanks

Last time I checked, Nintendo didn't create SWF. Blizzard, MS and Apple can be somewhat expected to read their boards: they created them.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
i dont understand most of you people(I only read to page three of this thread so this may seem out of place).

1.I ENJOY nintendo's wifi, its great to me that I can fight someone without having to know them first, this allows me to fight without worry.

2.we have the option of setting up matches over these forums so why are you complaining about the other options? ignore them.

3.we will most likely have the option to vote on items(on or off) and what type of match this will deffinatly happen, I dought however you can change WHAT items are chosen or anything as insignificant as that.

these are my opinions on this matter.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
1. Just about every single online game does that, it's a standard thing now.

2. Because we shouldn't have to, not all of us want to play people from SWF all the time but at the same time we want to be able to add people they had a good match with outside of SWF.

3. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Actually you find alot of the time that developers are not permitted to view Fan sites or Fan-made Message Boards while working on a project. I can't recall the exact reason for that, but I hear it's quite common.

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
I point to today's update to illustrate the fact that some of their updates are in response to the general feelings of these forums. A whole bunch of shield threads pop up, and then what's todays update? Shields.

I'm just waiting for air-dodging to go up, and them to give an official name to wavedashing.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
I reeeaaaally think people are complaining a bit too early. It's pretty obvious that there are a ton more details for Wi-Fi play to come. This game has a gigantic budget, and Nintendo knows that SSBM was one of Gamecube's few saving graces, so they have alot riding on this game's potential success. They're going to make it as close to perfect as they can within time and quality constraints. And when I say quality constraints - I mean if they want to include voice chat, for this game, they're absolutely going to do it - but not at the cost of it making the online play lagtastic. Nintendo really is the type to ax good ideas and features if those ideas just end up dropping the game quality instead of making it better.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Anyone ever play Jump Ultimate Stars on the DS?

The online option customability is probably work similar to JUS.

Random

• No chatting at all.
  • Games are set to find 4 players if possible. If waiting for full game is too long than starts game without 4 people (2 or 3 players).
  • Rules and stage decided on the person who gets selected as player 1.
Friends

• Chatting allowed before and after matches
  • Players get together so number of players are mutually agreed by that method.
  • Host decides rules and stage.
If anything, random would be at least set up to fill up all slots, if possible, and be set at default settings.

I think obviously Friends method would have options managable to both player. Even if it's one you would know each other to decide on the settings anyways.

If players are able to find other good players and form clans through random it's just a convenience and support clans containing members of similar interests without regard to location. This online method still works because real competitive smashers would be looking for other real competitive smashers on boards anyways. With these limitation players will stay stick with local smashers, form clans of local players, and compete for their clan and region's title through an outside source, the forums, whether Nintendo meant it to happen this way or not.

I also like to add that I like the idea of no rankings. It discourages disconnecters and the eases the thought your of ranking if you play a hacker and want to disconnect. This plagues some DS games and from what read Mario Strikers Charged too.

But I agree with what people said already. All Nintendo really said that it's online. More details will come later.

SantaClaus

Smash Apprentice
1.I ENJOY nintendo's wifi, its great to me that I can fight someone without having to know them first, this allows me to fight without worry.
So you are saying if there were options for online communication in random battles you would be against it? Just because you ENJOY something doesn't mean you can't hope for better.

2.we have the option of setting up matches over these forums so why are you complaining about the other options? ignore them.
Because it is a large hassle to find someone on a large message board, add their friend code, hope they add yours, and try to set up a match that way. Gaming buddylists and friend lists are nothing new, online games have had them since last generation.

3.we will most likely have the option to vote on items(on or off) and what type of match this will deffinatly happen, I dought however you can change WHAT items are chosen or anything as insignificant as that.
Insignificant? Why would a feature that has been there since the Nintendo 64 be dropped solely because it is an online version 8 years later.

This is not a personal attack at you, error, I just have been reading this thread and seeing people stand up for Nintendo's foolish decisions out of sheer fanaticism rather than stand up for their own opinions.

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
I agree with some other people on this. Even if Wifi was nonexistant, Brawl is still sold. Also, Wifi is the best option when your friends arent around, and Brawls Wifi does well in that way.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well I would be on the fence about this because come on, I've been to tournaments and trash talking at tournaments is more personable, and less of an issue, but when your mic-chatting with some random kid you don't know it's anything but a good time. I'm not saying this is for people with thin-skin, but more because it gives Nintendo and it's patrons a bad look. I'll be the first to say the Halo community is the saddest group of kids I'v ever seen. I play Halo, but I don't even mic anymore cause it's sad. Bunch of 10 yr. olds talking like truckers, and obviously Nintendo doesn't want any part of that, and I'm with them, but would it be cool to mic-chat when I'm playing my buds, or my friends through SWF? It would be nice, but we over at the Mario Strikers Charged thread have found ways to mic-chat alternatively.

And for voting items on and off, in Strikers, when you decided to host a game amongst friends, you had to first determine the rule set on your own, then your room was enterable for anyone that was in standby on your friend list, and they could accept invitation,decline invitation, or preview rules I believe. If you don't like a rule set, I'm willing to bet that you can just preview rules, then decline match type. If anyone is so lazy they can't organize their own matches through the boards, then we have more problems than a skeletal online system. We have been using Wi-Fi for a few months now, and we haven't had much ot complain about.

The ONLY thing I think should transfer over, is in PokeMon Battle Revolution, if you played a tight match with someone, you could both agree to exchange battle vouchers. I would be more than content if they made a rivals system online, where after a good match, you could both agree to add each other to your lsits.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
For the people who complain about wanting to find good players in random matches...

Real competitive players will probably find most of their competition through dedicated forums. That's where they will discuss effective strategies and tactics and even ask for help. It shows real commitment and real perspective on the game. They want to get better at the game, they will want to understand the game, they will develop skills for the game, they will the a real competition.

I'm not saying you can't find real competition, or rather, people who play the way you want to play in random matches where you want to play them in the future. There are exceptions, but you will have to filter through all the sorry smack-talkers.You have to realize some people come to the boards and state they are good and the high-level player matches don't impress them. Those are the people you are going to find most in random matches. Usually kids 15 on down who play with each other and think and claim they are the bomb. That's why sometimes you see threads asking for competition if you are 16 or 18 and up.

Again, there are exceptions. From my experience, though people who are modest and don't claim to be good are a lot better than these players who claim they are great, but just are unable to travel to prove themselves. One of these type of players will be willing to make the effort to search for a dedicated forum for the game.

All you veterans will know what I'm talking about. A smack-talker who challenges you and are speechless after playing you. That's why these players already exchanged or are planning to exchange codes for later.

Random Matches will cater to kids and non-hardcore players.

Friend Matches will cater to "Friends" and competitive/tournament-style players.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well the statement about casual and non-hard core players may hold true, if there is no ranking system. It looks like there won't be because the names are completely hidden, but if somehow there is, there will be mroe emphasis on Random, like in Strikers, but I totally agree. I'm the biggest advocate of jsut adding peoiples codes and playing with people you know.

Top Bottom