• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online- Nintendo isn't taking baby steps.

Sir James

The Doctor
This point has been a bit exaggerated by many members on these forums.

1. Will most likely will be able to change the settings. Why would it be locked? There is no reason to believe that we'd be forced to play with items.

2. Playing people online and not knowing their identity isn't all that bad. Just think about it for a second. When we play Melee by ourselves, it's against the CPU. It's our only chance to "train" and it's rather difficult given the current abilities of the AI. In Brawl, we'll be able to hone our skills by going against real players. Who cares if we don't know their names? I actually like this idea better, because we still have a chance to compete as well.

If you want to compete, you can share friend codes / names here on the forums. It's possible that the friend system is completely different in Brawl.

Your "competition pool" will be bigger and bigger, and you'll be competing with people that you care about doing good against. For the times when you don't feel like competing and you just want to practice, fight some random player on the internet.

Nintendo gave us a choice and I hardly call that a step backward.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
There's one problem with comparing X-box LIVE to Wifi... Nintendo has made it clear they will not charge a fee to play online. Microsoft requires $50 a year for the gold account. Even things such as ranking, voice chat, and other things like that cost money and time to complete...

I'm not saying that makes all the difference but it was just one point...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I got flamed for hating Nintendo's online earlier this week. I won't be surprised if you get flamed [although some people are starting realize Nintendo wifi sucks].

Nintendo doesn't look at competition so they will always be out of sync.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
This thread is fail. Seriously, 99% of these online threads are fail. You people don't even know wat your talking about. Like seriously, CHECK THE SITE! Check under game modes, and next to "Adventure Mode" is "Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection". It has ONE UPDATE, Adventure Mode has six. Jesus, don't you people check your sources. There WILL BE OPTIONS, there will be cumstomizability. Stop making up crap, since we know only basically 5% of the online details, and 5% of the game over AT MOST. These threads are REALLY annoying me now. :laugh:
Agreed, but hopefully the complainers will come here.

The main reason why people are complaining is because of the With Anyone mode. The majority thinks it'll be a 5 minute match with items or something like that. In MSC you could customize EVERYTHING in Friend Battles, so why not in Brawl? With a massive database of Smash Users on this site, I don't see why any of us would even dare CLICK "With Anyone" . So stop complaining about customizability and add someone as a friend.

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
OMG! WHY COMPLAIN ABOUT WI-FI YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT.People Wi-fi is just something that most people will do when they are bored.Why complain about Wi-Fi in brawl.month's ago everybody(i don't know about this forum though)was like brawl's Wi-fi gonna be so cool,i'm not buying this game if it doesn't have Wi-Fi,now people are like Wi-Fi so stupid really whats wrong with it other than the game is going to go slower when playing it.All we wanna do is fight not chat and talk to each other its a fighting game it really doesn't barely even need Wi-Fi its gonna be cool anyway so PLEASE I BEG PEOPLE STOP COMPLAINING at least we have WI-FI people get over it GOD.
i support nintendo WI-FI

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
OMG! WHY COMPLAIN ABOUT WI-FI YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT.People Wi-fi is just something that most people will do when they are bored.Why complain about Wi-Fi in brawl.month's ago everybody(i don't know about this forum though)was like brawl's Wi-fi gonna be so cool,i'm not buying this game if it doesn't have Wi-Fi,now people are like Wi-Fi so stupid really whats wrong with it other than the game is going to go slower when playing it.All we wanna do is fight not chat and talk to each other its a fighting game it really doesn't barely even need Wi-Fi its gonna be cool anyway so PLEASE I BEG PEOPLE STOP COMPLAINING at least we have WI-FI people get over it GOD.
i support nintendo WI-FI

You're an idiot. We'd use WiFi if it didn't suck. We'll still use it, just not in any way that measures up to ANY OTHER ONLINE GAME (except those made by Nintendo).

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
just for Wifi's lag certainty i will not mug up my gameplay by practicing online. but i will need to play my smash bros when there not around so wifi is a plus nevertheless.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Here's an idea, don't flood the complainers' thread.

'Z0mg stop complaining! I'm forcing myself to read your complaints so please stop so I can stop reading!'

^^
You sound like that, Icarus

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
You know, as a married man who works 40hrs a week and doesn't have time to make tourneys, I for one am very thankful for the online play we are getting. It's better than nothing. And now I'll get to play my friends and hopefully some of you guys. Can't we just stop complaining? I mean some of us really have no time to make tourneys or either have no tourneys in our area.

BentoBox

Smash Master
2. Playing people online and not knowing their identity isn't all that bad. Just think about it for a second. When we play Melee by ourselves, it's against the CPU. It's our only chance to "train" and it's rather difficult given the current abilities of the AI. In Brawl, we'll be able to hone our skills by going against real players. Who cares if we don't know their names? I actually like this idea better, because we still have a chance to compete as well.
When I play melee by myself, I am able to set the level of the CPU, and even tho the AI lacks even at lvl9, I at least do know from the very start what to expect from it. When playing online, there is no indication as to how skilled a certain player is. If this board's population represents 1% of the total smash owners in this world, you can already start to imagine the number of people that will hop on the bandwagon thinking of themselves as unbeatable (as we all once thought long ago). Before the big announcement, I was telling myself that I'd actually refer most noobs to these forums so our community would grow bigger and so that they'd actually improve, but that we won't even be able to do. I don't even know if I should rejoice myself at the prospect of getting to beat on random 10yo kid from spain. If amongst the faint ripples comes a big wave, I would also like to be able to be able to communicate to it, exchange FCs and whatnot, that's what internet gaming is about:
The point of online is the fact that you can play with people you'd otherwise never meet. You can make new friends through a common interest that would otherwise be hard to find.
SSBB's current setup doesn't even allow us to do that. Utterly disappointing.

If you want to compete, you can share friend codes / names here on the forums. It's possible that the friend system is completely different in Brawl.
I hate the fact that every game worth my time that I'll play will have to be organized beforehand. The FC capacity is limited to 70 or so I've heard; there are a lot more ppl on these boards. Those ppl that live in far away regions (as I did 3 weeks ago) not knowing anyone nearby that could share that common interest won't even be given any means to actually get to meet people online, exchange FCs, create bonds. That sucks.

*cough* hypocriticalstatementyourviewsareinvalid *cough*
Not really. That was a fact, not an opinion. Internet wasn't created so everyone could stay under their shells and keep on being oblivious as to whatever is going on in the rest of the world. Online -does- make you play and meet people you'd prolly never meet otherwise. If you beg to differ, please come up with a solid argument. ;)

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
It's actually going backwards. This is the first Nintendo wi-fi game where you can't even know who you're playing. And instead of improving on MSC's amazing wi-fi, they don't.

It's probably best of 3 time matches with items.

*sighs* Alot of you are going to complain that I'm complaining, but I don't care. Online play is very important nowadays, and Nintendo fails to realize this =\
why do you have to put it that way. you make good points but now your just putting some people down.:urg:

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
So what if it doesn't have the best wi-fi. Look after you unlock all the characters, what if you feel like playing, but have no one to play and you can't kick it with your friends? Then obviously the with anyone feature sounds great then. It may not seem like Nintendo is thinking, but they are. Hell, I always feel like playin' Melee, but playing the comps is boring and practicing gets boring too when you can guess what they'll do. So, I support the Brawl Wi-Fi just the way it is.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Okay, try not to take things too personally.

Everyones entitled to their own opinions, some aspects of the game are rubbing people the wrong way, and it's very hard to change how someone feels by telling them to stop complaining about it.

It is a real issue, Nintendo fans have been waiting for years to catch up with the internet features that the other consoles have, heck, some are still waiting for them to catch up in graphics. It's no wonder people are outraged, people have higher expectations now, and Nintendo has competition.

Nobody is really *wrong* here. If someone is mad about something, it's because something is making them mad, and nobody should have to bottle that up inside.

Complaining may rub people on the forums the wrong way, and make people mad, but the very nature of a forum is to discuss things so silencing a person who has done nothing but say what they don't like about something is kinda lame. I mean if someone starts personally attacking someone else by calling them stupid or something, I can see people stepping in or sticking up for someone, but this is a friendly discussion.

So anyways, back on topic, I definitely don't think we are trapped in shells with this whole internet dealie. It's Nintendo's decision as to how to handle their online play, and this is just one of many uses that the internet has granted. Chatting on internet games isn't exactly the most important thing the internet has to offer. Maybe this'll save a few people from becoming SSBB addicts for life unlike a certain MMORPG that shall not be named...

Yes it's a slight frustration to have to look up competition which you know over the web.. on other non-Nintendo websites, but I *really* think we're gonna be fine in the end. I still find the Wii is the most interesting of this generations consoles, I'm really havin' a lot of fun with it so far and I'm real excited about Brawl and Galaxy right now.

And I have no problem playing random people on the web, their unpredictability and non-computer like actions will make it worth it.

I honestly think that 70 bucks for a game that could potentially provide hundreds and hundreds of hours of game play is a small price to pay, no matter how hard it is to look away from the big Microsoft and Sony.

In short:

I'm buying it because it's ****ing Super Smash Brothers 3. That's reason enough.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
When I play melee by myself, I am able to set the level of the CPU, and even tho the AI lacks even at lvl9, I at least do know from the very start what to expect from it. When playing online, there is no indication as to how skilled a certain player is. If this board's population represents 1% of the total smash owners in this world, you can already start to imagine the number of people that will hop on the bandwagon thinking of themselves as unbeatable (as we all once thought long ago). Before the big announcement, I was telling myself that I'd actually refer most noobs to these forums so our community would grow bigger and so that they'd actually improve, but that we won't even be able to do. I don't even know if I should rejoice myself at the prospect of getting to beat on random 10yo kid from spain. If amongst the faint ripples comes a big wave, I would also like to be able to be able to communicate to it, exchange FCs and whatnot, that's what internet gaming is about:
SSBB's current setup doesn't even allow us to do that. Utterly disappointing.

I hate the fact that every game worth my time that I'll play will have to be organized beforehand. The FC capacity is limited to 70 or so I've heard; there are a lot more ppl on these boards. Those ppl that live in far away regions (as I did 3 weeks ago) not knowing anyone nearby that could share that common interest won't even be given any means to actually get to meet people online, exchange FCs, create bonds. That sucks.

Not really. That was a fact, not an opinion. Internet wasn't created so everyone could stay under their shells and keep on being oblivious as to whatever is going on in the rest of the world. Online -does- make you play and meet people you'd prolly never meet otherwise. If you beg to differ, please come up with a solid argument. ;)
To me, it's better to keep online chat out of this game. I can imagine all the 'you suck' that I could get in a single day. Also, it's Nintendo, were you expecting big? Because Sakurai said it himself that it wouldn't. Finally, there are different aspects for wifi in this game, this is the first update, we would have to wait for the others.

lukintosh

Smash Ace
At the end of all your ranting, you'll still gonna have to play Wi-Fi Brawl, no matter how godly it is like Halo or sucky it is like... some games. It's not like Sakurai doesn't know that his rival game's online PWNS his, he's gonna make it better in any way he can (FREEEE).
Just choose whether you want it or not. There's always AI to console you.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
it's good for practice vs humans, and then it's there if someone from smashboards challenges you or something, but really...

smash is about getting together with your friends, that's the best part, even with headsets and wahtever, smash wouldn't be half as fun as being in the same room with your friends, just duking it out

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I think that people are rushing to conclusions. Note that Wifi is given it's own section instead of just a link. There's more about wifi that Sakurai has yet to tell us about.

Mars-

Smash Champion
How ****ing dare you make a post about this. There is a reason that they have friend codes, if you don't want to play ffa with items, then make some friends. **** quit crying about something you know so little about.

BentoBox

Smash Master
And you seem quite oblivious to the fact that not everyone lives in big cities mr.bigshot. Not a single person that I knew played VGs at all from where I came from. How would one go about and meet ppl sharing that common interest when they are inexistent? That's right, the internet.

Ztevieman7

Smash Cadet
Nowadays, any software designers can make a game online.
Nintendo do know online is a must and future.
But not every game should go online if you agree with that.

SSBM, no online feature, we seek out each other, we travel , meetings and what have you.

Online = lag = for fun (ie not for competition level)
Offline = no lag = competitive level of playing.

Nintendo dare to make the line between online playing and offline playing.

Tekken 5 online ranking, may the laggiest player be number 1, if you want to loose to someone like that. You can split the ranking system to regions, even then, remember online lag, no matter what connections and it will even lag more the more people play.
If you only read about players complaining about such online feature.

I say, Online is an great great additions from Brawl. If you want to play seriously, you need tournaments, see your opponent, ask your opponents MSN, slap him if you losed etc etc.
Travel costs and fee's get you a priceless times.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
I just hope there's at least something kinda like on Yugioh DS where you just select a few paramaters and go for it. My guess random would be kinda like Special Melee. You select simple choices like type of game (1v1,2v2,freeforall, etc.), items (yes or no), timed or stock, and maybe a few other simple choices and then you just look for players with settings like yours and if one can't be found, it just choses a similar game and you can select you or no to join. I imagine it'd be pretty simple overall yet be able to get a lot out of random.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It's still ******** that we can't communicate at all. That is such an awful idea, Capcom did it with Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2 and the online was put to shame. But guess what? RE has sometime Brawl doesn't have:

10 pre set phrases you can send to whoever you're working with. T

he point of FCs is void. We have a lower need for communication between friends. Why? Because we have to communicate to get those codes in the first place so obviously we are going to use that form of communication again as opposed to some lame *** taunt message.

Very backwards move by Sakurai.

Mars-

Smash Champion
And you seem quite oblivious to the fact that not everyone lives in big cities mr.bigshot. Not a single person that I knew played VGs at all from where I came from. How would one go about and meet ppl sharing that common interest when they are inexistent? That's right, the internet.
If you have no friends, which it seems you don't, you can just as easily go on smashboards, and say something like "Anyone want to fight me?"

Sorta like people do for pokemon D&P.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I don't need SSBM to make friends for me, I simply stopped playing altogether because playing alone sucks. And about smashboards, go reread my post. How do we tell those noobs around the world about SWF when there's no way to communicate? You're dense.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I don't need SSBM to make friends for me, I simply stopped playing altogether because playing alone sucks. And about smashboards, go reread my post. How do we tell those noobs around the world about SWF when there's no way to communicate? You're dense.
Your still not using your head. I wouldn't want to vs some noobs, because I'm not getting better. If I want to vs somebody, I get their friend code, and play them. I'm not going to vs some random person that doesn't know what they are doing. Once again you show that you don't even know what the **** your talking about.

dan smith

Smash Champion
It's free. That is really important to me.

Why wouldn't the random matches have settings? Somebody mentioned that it wouldn't work...because the players would have to vote? Why? It could just be like Starcraft, where one person sets up a game, options and everything, and then people join. Not complicated.

I like the idea of the random matches in the first place too. Like one night stands. No strings attached.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
You guys sound like you be a little upset about the online mode we're getting, but at least we're getting SOME kind of online for Smash Brothers, even if it does contain a bit of padding!

I mean, Nintendo is simply being super-cautious with it's online, since most of the features you guys seem to be really eager about have a dark side... I mean, just go on Youtube and you can find a whole bunch of FPS videos with guys endlessly cursing at each other, or little kids just being little kids and whining about things like chocolate milk. This is also a valid reason for Friend Codes, since it would take a bit of effort to just harass someone, wouldn't it?

Huge online scoreboards would also promote hacking and quitting out of a match, which is something Nintendo obviously doesn't want to see happen with this game... I would do something like this myself if there was a giant scoreboard, since I'm such a perfectionist it's not even funny. Local/Friend specific win-lose ratios I can live with, but I wouldn't want a giant lose-count paraded around the internet!

Anyway, how many Wi-Fi updates have we seen so far? 1? I think we're all assuming a little too much, especially as Sakurai said there would be quite a few online modes to play with that he would reveal later...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I mean, Nintendo is simply being super-cautious with it's online, since most of the features you guys seem to be really eager about have a dark side... I mean, just go on Youtube and you can find a whole bunch of FPS videos with guys endlessly cursing at each other, or little kids just being little kids and whining about things like chocolate milk. This is also a valid reason for Friend Codes, since it would take a bit of effort to just harass someone, wouldn't it?

Huge online scoreboards would also promote hacking and quitting out of a match, which is something Nintendo obviously doesn't want to see happen with this game... I would do something like this myself if there was a giant scoreboard, since I'm such a perfectionist it's not even funny. Local/Friend specific win-lose ratios I can live with, but I wouldn't want a giant lose-count paraded around the internet!
Terrorists blow up monuments and skyscrapers, does that mean we shouldn't build them?

Adi

Smash Lord
You realize all this fear of people disconnecting could just be fixed if they counted a disconnect as a loss.

*forehead slap*

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Terrorists blow up monuments and skyscrapers, does that mean we shouldn't build them?
No, but we should try and take some measures to stop this sort of thing happening... I won't deny that Nintendo's method of doing this is a little bit silly, but it certainly keeps their family-friendly reputation and marketing strategy, and still provides online game playing, which is certainly what everyone wants nowadays.

It's a bigger skyscraper than Smash 64 and the Melee ever were, so you at least have to give it that. Besides, we'll all get a good idea of how this online thing works out when we actually play the thing!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
No, but we should try and take some measures to stop this sort of thing happening... I won't deny that Nintendo's method of doing this is a little bit silly, but it certainly keeps their family-friendly reputation and marketing strategy, and still provides online game playing, which is certainly what everyone wants nowadays.

It's a bigger skyscraper than Smash 64 and the Melee ever were, so you at least have to give it that. Besides, we'll all get a good idea of how this online thing works out when we actually play the thing!
What players do won't ruin their rep, just as [I'm about to mention Halo, shoot me] Halo players don't ruin Bungie's rep.

That's why we have a military, to keep out the terrorists. You see the metaphor?
Exactly, they just have to counter all of the ways people will try to cheat, whether it be DC, Gameshark or stuffing. Sure they won't get everyone, but you should at least be able to ignore certain players that you don't want to play again, so that if they do cheat you'll never experience it again. Simple.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Your still not using your head. I wouldn't want to vs some noobs, because I'm not getting better. If I want to vs somebody, I get their friend code, and play them. I'm not going to vs some random person that doesn't know what they are doing. Once again you show that you don't even know what the **** your talking about.
I already addressed this.
You're just being stupidly selfish thus why I would never agree with your views. **** the rest as long as I'm good? No, not really. The community isn't growing that way.

Top Bottom