• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Community Doubles #7 - August 8th - Registration is day of event

darkNES386

Smash Lord
..Sorry, I am almost positive its been said but when is this being held? Around launch or are we gonna let the people unlock everything so people who care won't get spoiled by spoilers?
2 weeks after launch is the event. If that's not enough time for players to unlock everything then they enter the tournament at their own risk.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Respect for spoilers has its limits, and when it is detrimental to the players who don't care, then you sort of have to let the people afraid of spoilers get over themselves.

If it takes more than two weeks to unlock the char's, they probably just aren't as committed to the game as the people who would be playing in this anyways.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
how many peopel singing up for the tourny actually dont know everything already

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Respect for spoilers has its limits, and when it is detrimental to the players who don't care, then you sort of have to let the people afraid of spoilers get over themselves.

If it takes more than two weeks to unlock the char's, they probably just aren't as committed to the game as the people who would be playing in this anyways.
Two weeks is more than enough sufficient playing time to unlock anything neccessary for competitive play while at the same time, not spoiling the single player experience.

However, for those who do not have everything unlocked, the tournament will not cater to you. It is up to each individual competitor to take care of their unlocks before entering the tournament.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I've made a few tiny updates here and there to the main post... I'll be releasing a video blog soon discussing both the benefits and "hurdles" that online organized play such as this will face. =) Thanks everyone for your support.

RickettsZ22

Smash Cadet
i hope this will work the way its supossed to and I think that you should be able to unlock most things in two weeks if not everything, maybe not all the stages but at least the characters or at least the ones you want to use

Roscoewolf

Smash Cadet
All these tournaments are between the 20th and 30th **** Vacation lol
aw well im sure they'll be a chance at a later date

darkNES386

Smash Lord
All these tournaments are between the 20th and 30th **** Vacation lol
aw well im sure they'll be a chance at a later date
We'll be having plenty more... as long as online tournament play is feasible.

im gonna pwn..lol jk or am I:chuckle:
I wish I could say bring it... but I won't be in this event since I'm hosting it.....

Svkv

Smash Cadet
Can I sign up? I added the email to my address book and read through all the rules (let's hope I can rememder them all :p).

Do I have to download teamspeak or is it optional?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
is it okay to have skype instead of that thing u told us DL cuz i really dont want another of these things lol. what time are we going by btw

darkNES386

Smash Lord
is it okay to have skype instead of that thing u told us DL cuz i really dont want another of these things lol. what time are we going by btw
Everything will be on eastern time. I'm glad you brought up skype. Let me explain something rather important. Skype has extremely powerful quality. You might as well be talking on your cell phone with perfect reception. This will hurt your overall connection (bandwidth) and possibly effect your game play. Teamspeak is much different from Skype. The ease at which you can change rooms and talk to different people within it or listen for director announcements makes these programs much more effective for large scale events such as this. When playing casually skype is a perfect option though.

Anyone else should feel free to comment on this ;)

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've finally got Brawl. But the online functions of my Wii are not working...I will try to get it working today but until then I wont be participating in any tournaments. Btw, when is the first tournament?

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
I have brawl!! I have unlocked everyone important other than Lucario (who I might use), Snake and Toon Link (who my friends might use).

My friend Code is 244943053289. In case anyone cares. Because I can barely remember phone numbers, let alone friend codes, I have it noted down in my Ipod Touch. Hehee.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Some people are experiencing problems trying to connect to games online. We're all banking on the fact that Nintendo hasn't fully setup their servers right now. Silly them for thinking that people wouldn't be looking to go online so soon.

Remian

Smash Rookie
I'm Registering as soon as I get home, but will Lag be at our own expense, or will it be a discussed issue. Or did I just miss where you guys talked about it :D

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I'm Registering as soon as I get home, but will Lag be at our own expense, or will it be a discussed issue. Or did I just miss where you guys talked about it :D
We're banking on the fact that many wii games in the past started out with some ugly lag issues that were resolved in the future. We would like to think that a game as big as Brawl would be worth Nintendo's while to have working online effectively. Afterall... this is the game that was supposed to launch Nintendo Online.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Not to sound pessimistic, but:

You keep saying banking this, banking that. Point is, it might still be a huge issue by the time the tourney rolls around. So, what will you do if it is? You can't just hope it isn't and not be prepared...

Byronman

Smash Journeyman

You keep saying banking this, banking that. Point is, it might still be a huge issue by the time the tourney rolls around. So, what will you do if it is? You can't just hope it isn't and not be prepared...
Why not? Winging it can be fun!

darkNES386

Smash Lord

FYI... we are having a test tournament this weekend so by then we'll have a much better idea of how well this is going to work (we've been planning that for quite some time)

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
FYI... we are having a test tournament this weekend so by then we'll have a much better idea of how well this is going to work (we've been planning that for quite some time)
hey good matches today dNES, there seemed to be less lag... and it was much better... hope theres no lag for the tourney... but i was wondering whos registered for the beta tourney?

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
dNess I just registered my brawl code and such without knowing that there was a test tourney... so can you add that to my e-mail too cause I'd like to join in that

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Okay. BIG ISSUE. My Wii was taken in the brawl disc read error crisis. Can I still compete on Aaryks wii?
I think you'll have to just share a single name with Aaryk. The test tournament is very laid back since we're more seeing if the overall procedure will simply work. Plus there's no way of ever knowing if multiple people aren't sharing the same wii and taking turns.

dNess I just registered my brawl code and such without knowing that there was a test tourney... so can you add that to my e-mail too cause I'd like to join in that
You need to be a member of our own site to take part in this test tournament.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
My problems resolved as of now, my neighbor is a tech god and helped fix my wii without having to take it to nintendo (time without plus no warrantee coverage equals hella lame)

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Good luck to all of those participating tonight, I look forward to hearing about the results!

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
sorry I missed the beta...
My parent's were threatening to take the Wii, so I stashed it and it's going mobile for a few days.
However, they will be in Spain next week, so I can participate in the main tourney. thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!

jakstad

Smash Rookie
help...

So...maybe I am not the greatest reader ever, but can I still get in on the tourney. I did the wii thing where you add OBCconfirmation@gmail.com. Now do I just wait? or am I too late? or should I do something else?

I AM CONFUSED!!!!!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
ownage sounds good im getting a wii soon and brawl also ive played alot with friends and so far im the best 1v1er there comming out of me being the best out of us in melee too i know im not as good as some of u out there but with brawl being freshly out i hope to get better and play with the legends..

if i get a wii in time ide love to participate.

Moochero

Smash Cadet
Wow I'm glad I saw this before the tourney happened. If it's not too late I'm going to sign up asap.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
big crissis dNES

so the tourney is the 21st

i'm having a birthday party that day(cause my parents had gone out of town the day of my ACTUAL b-day)
it's spring break, and the beach is right there
circus ole (or whatever) is coming and i HAVE to see them
it' s easter

so yeah i know it sounds like a personal problem but i have no idea what im going to decide to do

Top Bottom