• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Character Discussion

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Welcome, This is the Online Brawl Character Discussion, or OBCD for short.

Forum rules still apply, http://www.smashboards.com/announcement.php?f=182&a=186

This thread is for the debate of what characters play better online due to lag. Does lag help certain characters does it hurt others? This is unofficial, and is just a suggestion when playing on Wi-Fi.

You must contribute to the thread in some way, random spam will not be tolerated!

Thank you for your contribution, Discuss!

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Me as well my friend.
*Sees Falcon*
*Highfives*
Zelda is completely different online then offline, just too good with the lasting hitbawxes.

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
I hate Brawling Zeldas online. They pretty much just have to use Up Smashes and F-airs/B-airs then call it a "Good Game", lol~

Seriously, I have to almost always approach with Down Tilt to avoid getting Up Smashed, and if I get predictable with it she can Front Smash as a response. =_=

rolrctermaniac

Smash Apprentice
anyone else hate playing lucario? especially ROLLCARIO! plus he has large hitboxes that last what seems to be an eternity!

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
Meh. They're ok with me. If I see people who roll a lot with him a dash to provoke them into dodging behind and pivot grab. :ohwell:

Aibou

Smash Master

Zelda is completely different online then offline, just too good with the lasting hitbawxes.
This is not entirely true. Zelda cannot move well at all in lag. A REAL Zelda player that DOESN'T stand in one spot and spam smashes is actually nerfed by wifi due to her already poor mobility getting even worse due to lag. An immobile Zelda who spams smashes is buffed, but even still, if you're losing to her then it's your own fault for approaching her and not camping like you're supposed to against Zelda.

Aibou

Smash Master
o snap aibou giving LP da business
The one thing that upsets me is saying Zelda gets buffed on wifi (or anything of that sort). I main Zelda, and I main wifi. I can easily say that she doesn't get buffed. Those that lose to her just need to play better imho >_>

Anyway, surprisingly, Meta Knight doesn't seem to be that great online. Discuss?

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
Lucas/Ness suck online....

Oh wait they suck offline too, silly me
the main thing wifi messes up is lucas/ness' recovery.. but it messes up ness more because lucas has more than 1 recovery option.. you would know though j :p lol

Anyway, surprisingly, Meta Knight doesn't seem to be that great online. Discuss?

I think the main reason why metaknight isnt as good on online is because well it seems/attack speed (excluding dsmash in my opinion) to me his speed got slower by like 1/3... but thats something that could appear with all characters. It just sticks out more with mk to me

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
I haven't noticed any real changes, though my logic tells me that more powerful characters are generally better, because lag screws up speed-based characters more than power-based characters.

Aibou

Smash Master
oddly enough, the zelda main is the only one says zelda isn't buffed online.

Read below.

he would know more than us non zelda mains
This. A non-Zelda doesn't know anything about her. They play against her, lose, and immediately say Zelda's "gay on wifi" as I've heard waaaay too many times.

I'm all over the OTL (or was as I don't play in wifi tournies anymore), so I've played a lot of people over wifi. People that are better than me beat my Zelda all the time. People that aren't, don't (even though most do beat me xD ). So it doesn't matter if your opponent uses Zelda because if you're good enough, you would be able to beat her. Bottom line, if you can't beat Zelda (online or off), then stop whining and get better. Save your complaints for someone who IS buffed by wifi, like Snake >__>

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Speaking of stupid characters online

Ike/Martha are so evil -_-

lol Jimmy :p Lucas has a couple more options off stage
then Ness which makes him more fun online

Zelda is easy after you play Aibou alooooot xD though Zelda is better online ">_>

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Speaking of stupid characters online

Ike/Martha are so evil -_-

Lucas has a couple more options off stage
then Ness which makes him more fun online

Zelda is easy after you play Aibou alooooot xD though Zelda is better online ">_>
Ike/Marth have great Forward Smashes which people tend to run into in lag-fi.

Being hit off stage in lag-fi for Ness and lucas = death

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I remember when I made this topic

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245308

ah well, yours is doing better anyway.

I have noticed that lag is less a problem this past several months than say this time last year. But it still happens, just not as frequently.
Lol sorry, didn't notice your thread.

Anyways, how does DK do online? I don't play him much nor do I see many.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
He does well online, I suppose... the thing is if it's laggy, yeah, pretty much all bets are off. His grab -> off stage -> throw is ****, but in lag he really may not make it back to the stage, lol.

Aibou

Smash Master
Anyways, how does DK do online? I don't play him much nor do I see many.

I used to play DK a lot online, and imo he's hard to beat due to his immense range and power, and lag making it hard to avoid his moves if you play too aggressively.

Snake. Not only is Snake's camping buffed, but so are his obnoxious tilts. It's sooo easy to just throw random nades, and roll behind > Ftilt all match and win. I love Snake, but I can't bear fighting him if it's lagging.

Any wifi Marths out there? From my experience, and the experience of friends who are Marth users, Marth seems to be one of the worst, if not the worst wifi character in the game. Discuss?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Any wifi Marths out there? From my experience, and the experience of friends who are Marth users, Marth seems to be one of the worst, if not the worst wifi character in the game. Discuss?
I play Marth sparingly online, I use Ike becuase people are stupid and walk into tilts and smashes.

Marth can be great if you use him correctly, mostly camping unless your up against a ranged character. Then you spam F-air like crazy, It's harder to power shield in lag-fi so F-air is your friend. The worst part of Marth is that it's almost impossible to spike in lag-fi because it screws with your timing.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
The Marthas I play Fair all day long or DownB sometimes online

However the only time I get to play Marthas is when people go her to counter GW

(big meanies x_x)

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.

I used to play DK a lot online, and imo he's hard to beat due to his immense range and power, and lag making it hard to avoid his moves if you play too aggressively.

Snake. Not only is Snake's camping buffed, but so are his obnoxious tilts. It's sooo easy to just throw random nades, and roll behind > Ftilt all match and win. I love Snake, but I can't bear fighting him if it's lagging.

marth may get the D from wifi but there is no way he can be the worst... marth is still able to kill and rack damage at a decent level ... in my opinion ICs would be the worst when it comes to wifi.. getting the cg is too hard.. and nana is ******** on wifi

Aibou

Smash Master
I play Marth sparingly online, I use Ike becuase people are stupid and walk into tilts and smashes.

Marth can be great if you use him correctly, mostly camping unless your up against a ranged character. Then you spam F-air like crazy, It's harder to power shield in lag-fi so F-air is your friend. The worst part of Marth is that it's almost impossible to spike in lag-fi because it screws with your timing.
Wifi Ike...eesh...as as bad as DK in terms of range and power, only with a broken jab and a larger fanbase x_x

Haven't really had experiences with Marth being fantastic on wifi. Though I guess it depends on the lag, and also the player. Though most Marth's I know laugh at the prospect of using Marth online, and use a secondary when playing wifi (like Ike lol)

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
This is not entirely true. Zelda cannot move well at all in lag. A REAL Zelda player that DOESN'T stand in one spot and spam smashes is actually nerfed by wifi due to her already poor mobility getting even worse due to lag. An immobile Zelda who spams smashes is buffed, but even still, if you're losing to her then it's your own fault for approaching her and not camping like you're supposed to against Zelda.
Nor did i say she was.
I simply stated, Many of Zelda's attacks last forever, and those are the ones you see used the most.
In addition to some combos (Ex: Dtilt, Dtilt, DSmash <Used efficiently)
To simply put it, Zelda's Smashes are better used online where they are harder to dodge.
Also, Falcon can't camp at all, approaching is a good tactic, but from near every Zelda i've played:

Ranged: Din's Fire
Close: USmash, DSmash, Neutral B.
Not that all Zeldas do this, for the best Zelda in my area uses all of Zelda's attacks perfectly in even for close combat and spacing, even approaching herself.

Aibou

Smash Master
Nor did i say she was.
I simply stated, Many of Zelda's attacks last forever, and those are the ones you see used the most.
Which is why you don't approach her unless you have no projectile or you're IC's or D3 (whom she actually outcamps). And even then you should still beat her in range/priority unless you're IC's, maybe Kirby, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, or Ganondorf (or Marth if you can't play wifi Marth well).

In addition to some combos (Ex: Dtilt, Dtilt, DSmash <Used efficiently)

This is effective offline as well. Zelda has no true combos online that she doesn't already have offline (the only ones being dtilt > whatever, the occasional usmash string, and the occasional dthrow-which-you-should-have-DI'ed-away-from-her-anyway-so-it's-your-own-fault-you-got-comboed > whatever combo)

To simply put it, Zelda's Smashes are better used online where they are harder to dodge.
Also, Falcon can't camp at all, approaching is a good tactic, but from near every Zelda i've played:

Ranged: Din's Fire
Close: USmash, DSmash, Neutral B.
Not that all Zeldas do this, for the best Zelda in my area uses all of Zelda's attacks perfectly in even for close combat and spacing, even approaching herself.
Admittedly, her smashes are better, but they're not as bad as Ike or DK or any other powerhouse. They still can't kill until over 100% with good DI. And despite that you should still be able to defeat her due to her various amounts of other shortcomings.

Falcon doesn't beat Zelda offline either. He still get's caught in her smashes and can't DI out of them well. Not saying Falcon can't win, but all of those things happen offline as well as online. So Falcon is not valid enough to prove that Zelda is better on wifi.

Din's Fire: If you get hit by this, you need help.

Usmash: So Zelda has a useful move, what's bad about that? It's not even that useful because it can be SDI'ed.

Dsmash: Admittedly, there's nothing really bad about this move at all xD

Nayru's: Laggy. Shield it and you are guaranteed a punish, even on wifi (it's happened to me dozens of times)

So basically, despite Zelda's seeming advantages that wifi gives her, she's still bad.

I love Zelda <3

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I use Marth all the time actually. But lag screws him over big time. It screws his dancing blade horribly, making it come out with 2 hits instead of 4. It screws his recovery pretty badly, especially if you're trying to play edge hog games. And it screws his short hop to a degree, leaving him pretty wide open if you fail your inputs. I've been spoiled by minimal lag matches so I'm comfortable using marth online, but if the lag starts, I will usually switch to MK.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I use Marth all the time actually. But lag screws him over big time. It screws his dancing blade horribly, making it come out with 2 hits instead of 4. It screws his recovery pretty badly, especially if you're trying to play edge hog games. And it screws his short hop to a degree, leaving him pretty wide open if you fail your inputs. I've been spoiled by minimal lag matches so I'm comfortable using marth online, but if the lag starts, I will usually switch to MK.
Switch to a real man like Ike.

Marth is good but there is a slight nerf on him due to lag.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Which is why you don't approach her unless you have no projectile or you're IC's or D3 (whom she actually outcamps). And even then you should still beat her in range/priority unless you're IC's, maybe Kirby, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, or Ganondorf (or Marth if you can't play wifi Marth well).

This is effective offline as well. Zelda has no true combos online that she doesn't already have offline (the only ones being dtilt > whatever, the occasional usmash string, and the occasional dthrow-which-you-should-have-DI'ed-away-from-her-anyway-so-it's-your-own-fault-you-got-comboed > whatever combo)

Admittedly, her smashes are better, but they're not as bad as Ike or DK or any other powerhouse. They still can't kill until over 100% with good DI. And despite that you should still be able to defeat her due to her various amounts of other shortcomings.

Falcon doesn't beat Zelda offline either. He still get's caught in her smashes and can't DI out of them well. Not saying Falcon can't win, but all of those things happen offline as well as online. So Falcon is not valid enough to prove that Zelda is better on wifi.

Din's Fire: If you get hit by this, you need help.

Usmash: So Zelda has a useful move, what's bad about that? It's not even that useful because it can be SDI'ed.

Dsmash: Admittedly, there's nothing really bad about this move at all xD

Nayru's: Laggy. Shield it and you are guaranteed a punish, even on wifi (it's happened to me dozens of times)

So basically, despite Zelda's seeming advantages that wifi gives her, she's still bad.

I love Zelda <3
I use Falcon o.o
Wut?

Top Bottom