• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Character Discussion

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
I'm not as...educated I suppose in characters vs. how well they do in wifi. From what I've been picking up some characters just, do really well online (which is seriously obvious, it's not my point though).

I was watching a Wolf on wifi the other day and he was abusing the lag pretty well. As far as the tier list goes I think Wolf is in C. I'm going to just kind of assume Snake does well on wifi, Sonic too, maybe Ike, I'm not sure.

There's no real tier list for wifi because it'd be pretty pointless but I guess I just want to know an guess of who would be the best on wifi with lag (no items or anything like that)?
either snake or olimar.

ludvigpasse

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff suffers alot from lag since you can no longer space properly and its very difficult to WOP online aswell. Lucas and Ness also suffers alot since they both need to use pk thunder recovery in order 2 survive, especially Ness. And doing pk thunder in a online match with excellent acurity is impossible...

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Trufax on Jiggly, WoP is actually still possible though, it just depends on how you set it up, their damage, the aerial(Bair or Fair), and Stage.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
A lot of people say MK is worse on wifi but isnt he buffed in some ways too?

Like its harder to punish priority whores on wifi

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I abandoned my wifi tier list when I came to the realization that regardless of player skill or character choice lag screws all and yet lag can help too. DACUS in lag would seem to be worse, but it's actually not once you get the timing right. It's all about adjusting. But for all intents and purposes (like the All is Brawl ladder champs) the tier list isn't too far off from the regular tier list, with a few minor adjustments here and there.

My tier list however was to be for With Anyone mode, and that's what made it so much more difficult to compile.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Lag is my worst enemy. Especially being a Ness main. I've had plenty of deaths because of the PK Thunder recovery's epic fail with lag.
That's why I always go on big stages like Temple
;)

And don't remind me about Sonic either. >.< Lag + Sonic = *runs offstage*

volume

Smash Apprentice
possibly in another dimension named winnipeg
i cant use king dedede online cause of easy to punish moves and chain grab doesnt work in certain kinds of lag ~_~ also his b-air is easily sheilded then lag comes in and if the player was one step ahead they can combo you because of lag ~_~ (dodge timing off and ect.) also he is big and fast falling which is worse.

pika suffers pretty bad to because QaC is inafective sure you can spam d-smash but wtf? thats really it lol so i use marf more online then i do pika but my pika is good online anyways because i got really good at QaC punishing with lag also pika's dodging is mega good and hard to punish thunder is god like on wi fi and you can easily get atleast one f-smash in there lol

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Jigglypuff suffers alot from lag since you can no longer space properly and its very difficult to WOP online aswell. Lucas and Ness also suffers alot since they both need to use pk thunder recovery in order 2 survive, especially Ness. And doing pk thunder in a online match with excellent acurity is impossible...
The Ness bit is fair enough to say, but Lucas has at least 3 different ways to recover and two of them don't even need to rely on PK Thunder at all.

Lucas has: Wave-bouncing, Z-air and PK Thunder. I'd be more afraid of a Lucas on wifi than a Ness, just saying. Also, doing it with excellent accuracy isn't impossible, it's maybe more challenging but not impossible.

Aibou

Smash Master
I've been thinking about wifi and comparing all the details and what not. And really, on wifi, how a character can perform on wifi is determined by the player him/herself. Finding ways to abuse wifi isn't that difficult. Rolling, smash spamming, and camping are simple ways to abuse wifi. However, if the player doesn't abuse wifi, then the character isn't so broken.

Let's use Meta Knight as an example. If you spam nado and dsmash (and I mean even more than offline MKs do lol), then winning isn't all that difficult if lag is bad enough to ensure your opponent can't punish it. However, a Meta Knight that tries to move a lot and mix up his moves is a teensy bit harder to use due to him being harder to control in lag.

So really, it depends on just how much the player is willing to abuse wifi and not as much the character they use. Like even a character that's bad in lag, like Marth or Sheik, can win if the roll all day and spam smashes >__>

I lol at wifi sometimes xD

FlareRDB

Smash Rookie
I've been playing wi-fi matches forever, and one of the worse characters to go up against is Kirby. Inhale suicides + Lag = You don't get to break out of it. In reality though, it's anyone's game.

If you have a really good connection, then you will have less than 1sec input lag. Other than that... watch out.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I've been playing wi-fi matches forever, and one of the worse characters to go up against is Kirby. Inhale suicides + Lag = You don't get to break out of it. In reality though, it's anyone's game.

If you have a really good connection, then you will have less than 1sec input lag. Other than that... watch out.
DK is also like this, he grabs you = 1 stock.

Aibou

Smash Master
Kirbycide isn't THAT hard to break out of. Just MAAAAAAAASH THAT CONTROLLER THE WAY YOU'D HIT YOUR WORST ENEMY!

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
He grabs you and then jumps off stage throws you.

Hard to recover in lag.
Oh you mean his cargo spike.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to tech his cargo spike in lag then :/

At low percents, just mash up (or is it left and right?) on the analogue stick to break out faster. If he's having to do the cargo spike on you at high percents then, lol.

edit: Why the heck am I posting here

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Ike, DK, Wolf, Snake, Zelda, and ROB are NUTS on Wifi.

Sheik, ICs, and Pikachu have a bit of trouble.

Sonic is trash.

Aibou

Smash Master

Sonic is trash.
Josh you know that Zelda isn't good. As if we haven't played enough for you to figure that out. :rolleyes:

And Sonic? Sure he may not be buffed in his moves, but he's harder to punish on wifi.

Reg15

Smash Apprentice
Josh you know that Zelda isn't good. As if we haven't played enough for you to figure that out. :rolleyes:

And Sonic? Sure he may not be buffed in his moves, but he's harder to punish on wifi.
True sonic is harder to punish on wifi. Due to the lag and not being able to jump as soon as your suppose to. >.>

FlareRDB

Smash Rookie
Kirbycide isn't THAT hard to break out of. Just MAAAAAAAASH THAT CONTROLLER THE WAY YOU'D HIT YOUR WORST ENEMY!
Sometimes it works, sometimes (depending who I'm playing) the input will happen after I spawn haha.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
This completely! And Jigglypuff....

Sonic is trash.
Don't forgot Ness and Lucas' major recovery problems with PK-Thunder D:
And sometimes peach because if your having lag you may not be able to point the up+B in the right direction and not make it back to the stage...

BSP

Smash Legend
Wolf is so buffed by lag. He's just amazing in it until you try to recover correctly.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
^^^^^^^^
This.
Wolf's Fsmash and Dsmash are already whack, and that's what i see used every time against 95% of the Wolves i play, save for on (Looks at Sumer)

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I shield it, and i RARELY am able to shieldgrab it, especially Dsmash.
Fsmash is longest ranged in the game so get @ mah.:088:

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Ur doin it wrong I wouldnt be shield grabbing something like that especially online. For one thing if I know that the other guy is going to Dsmash spam, I'd keep my shield up until I get pushed out of range or jump OoS. Its really simply.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Wow, now take that and add in Blaster and Bair spam.
What you got?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Naah, i won't push you that far where you don wanna go babe <3

Top Bottom