• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One of the few remaining NES all-stars - Bill “Mad Dog” Rizer for Smash (and maybe Lance Bean as an echo/alt).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They don't wear shirts in their NES (in-game) appearance
Other than the title screen.

But looking at the whole series, it seems like Bill usually wears a shirt, while Lance often doesn't.

Also if anything that design just makes him look super generic and meh.
It's...less generic than those figures you posted. Which might as well just be Arnold and Stallone action figures.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Other than the title screen.

But looking at the whole series, it seems like Bill usually wears a shirt, while Lance often doesn't.
I still think it's more appropriate if his default design is him shirtless just like in the NES sprites, and the others are him wearing many types of shirts/clothing from his post-NES games and maybe even the NES title screen/cover. Also Simon mostly had black or dark red hair throughout the Castlevania series, and Sakurai wasn't shy of making him blond like in his memorable appearance from the NES Castlevania covers.

It's...less generic than those figures you posted. Which might as well just be Arnold and Stallone action figures.
I mean the whole point of Bill and Lance is that they're a direct inspiration from Arnold and Stallone respectively, still even then, there are a couple of charming aspects from these designs that make them stand out, such as each one of them having their own specific color on their clothing, and their trousers having geometric figures, which in a way kinda gives a bit of a retro videogame vibe. That design on the other hand, has nothing memorable to it. It's literally just generic character from generic shooter nº 3644.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers were basically such non-entities that they had to do SOMETHING that would make them stand out.
The company that made those figures spoke about working with capcom and talk about how horrible it was and that they never wanted to work with them again.

They actually had the correct colors originally, but for some strange reason known only to the Capcom suits, Capcom insisted they switch them.

As for the wardrobe debate, I'm fine with either undershirts or shirtless. Either works.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
The company that made those figures spoke about working with capcom and talk about how horrible it was and that they never wanted to work with them again.

They actually had the correct colors originally, but for some strange reason known only to the Capcom suits, Capcom insisted they switch them.

As for the wardrobe debate, I'm fine with either undershirts or shirtless. Either works.
Uhm Capcom?!

Oddball

Smash Lord
I meant Konami.

I was just reading another topic that was talking about Marvel vs Capcom and it got stuck in my head.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Me seeing the title of this thread for the first time: Who the heck is Bill Rizer?
Me clicking on it and seeing Mr. Contra Shooty Bang Man: Ahh, I understand now.
I heavily support. I love platform shooters and Contra, while I haven't played it much, is high on my list for "hard-ass games I wanna beat". It's honestly weird how not only does Contra have little in terms of speculation but also has no actual representation in Smash, despite being so popular. It's right up there with Castlevania in terms of NES all-star platformers, but somehow it gets two characters (albeit they're echos of each other), a crapton of banger remixes, an awesome stage, one of the best bosses, and a really cool WoL area, yet we don't even get a spirit.
By the way, is there a Contra title on either NSO app yet? I can't remember, but if there is I'd love to check it out.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
View attachment 297476

I found another color selection set somebody did.
Not my personal choice, but I felt it was worth sharing.
It's pretty neat. I wouldn't mind at all if it were the official thing, just have the left shirtless version being his default and make the bandana blue to match his pants and shoes (also make the blue darker), and it's excellent.
I like how the guy even bothered to make the robot from the weird European version of the game, Probotector. Wouldn't be against it being at least one of Bill's alts.

I would love Bill and Lance. Contra is one of my favorite games from my childhood and it’s a shame it has no representation in Smash so far.
Excellent! Support list, then?

Me seeing the title of this thread for the first time: Who the heck is Bill Rizer?
Me clicking on it and seeing Mr. Contra Shooty Bang Man: Ahh, I understand now.
I heavily support. I love platform shooters and Contra, while I haven't played it much, is high on my list for "hard-ass games I wanna beat". It's honestly weird how not only does Contra have little in terms of speculation but also has no actual representation in Smash, despite being so popular. It's right up there with Castlevania in terms of NES all-star platformers, but somehow it gets two characters (albeit they're echos of each other), a crapton of banger remixes, an awesome stage, one of the best bosses, and a really cool WoL area, yet we don't even get a spirit.
By the way, is there a Contra title on either NSO app yet? I can't remember, but if there is I'd love to check it out.
I hear ya, while I think it made sense for Castlevania to take the first leap, since it was a little more popular and relevant than Contra back in the NES days, Contra was also huge and it sure had a rich legacy as well, so I think it's only a matter of time before it gets some representation in the game. Realistically it'll probably be through spirit event or Mii costumes, sadly but I'm hoping they have Bill (and possibly Lance) as a full fledged fighter as he deserves.
Also no, sadly none of the Contra games are on either the NES or SNES Online services, but there's the Contra Anniversary Collection available on the Nintendo Switch store, in case you're interested.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Spam/off-topic
I hear ya, while I think it made sense for Castlevania to take the first leap, since it was a little more popular and relevant than Contra back in the NES days, Contra was also huge and it sure had a rich legacy as well, so I think it's only a matter of time before it gets some representation in the game. Realistically it'll probably be through spirit event or Mii costumes, sadly but I'm hoping they have Bill (and possibly Lance) as a full fledged fighter as he deserves.
Also no, sadly none of the Contra games are on either the NES or SNES Online services, but there's the Contra Anniversary Collection available on the Nintendo Switch store, in case you're interested.
Castlevania is potentially Konami's most iconic franchise as of today, unless you count Yugioh. And yes, Bill and Lance certainly warrant to be playable, but I would prefer Bomberman, Raiden (Metal Gear) or Heather (Silent Hill) for an additional Konami primary rep.

Speaking of Yugioh, I just had an idea for Yugioh representation in Smash. No Yugioh characters are present in the game, but we just get a duelist outfit mii costume for all types. It's color would be customizable as well.
  • Brawler: The duel disk is mounted on the left arm.
  • Swordfighter: The duel disk is mounted on the left arm, while a sword with wielded with the right arm.
  • Gunner: The duel disk is mounted on the left arm, while the right arm is replaced by an arm cannon that goes aesthetically well with the duel disk.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Speaking of Yugioh, I just had an idea for Yugioh representation in Smash. No Yugioh characters are present in the game, but we just get a duelist outfit mii costume for all types. It's color would be customizable as well.
  • Brawler: The Duel Disk is mounted on the left arm.
  • Swordfighter: The Duel Disk is mounted on the left arm, while a sword with wielded with the right arm.
  • Gunner: The Duel Disk is mounted on the left arm, while the right arm is replaced by an arm cannon.
Wow, what a fitting topic for a Contra support thread...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I support Bill.

I'm sad cause this thread reminded me that I was about to start a sprite animation series of sorts s out Smash movesets, and Bill was first on the list.
But my computer broke, and I lost the hard drive...

Might as well share the moveset I had in mind. Or part of.

His neutral, it's all about firing his rifle.

A: Fire on the spot, rotating with the joystick, feet don't move.

Ftilt: You can shoot diagonally down, forward, and diagonally up while moving forward.

Dtilt: Lie on the ground and fire rifle.

Utilt: Deflect (Hard Corps Uprising) with a flick of his hand, he reflects a projectile back at opponent. Deals minor damage on contact with opponent.

Fsmash: Rifle slam
Upsmash: Wolf punch (Hard Corps)
Dsmash: Knife fwd and back

B: Toggle main/secondary weapon.
(Kirby: His jab now shoots like a Bill's main weapon, and B will switch to Bill's secondary from the moment he got absorbed.)

Up+B: Grappling Hook (Contra 4)

Down+B: Radio backup (every x seconds, you can call for a capsule which you have to shoot down to upgrade your rifle. You can only hold 2).

Side+B: Gung Ho Hang On (missile comes from the background, and Bill grabs on to it from below. You can slightly tilt it up or down, and drop down whenever you like. Missile will fall after flying a certain distance)

Aerials:

Nair: Rifle shoot (hold A and tilt joystick to shoot in direction)

Fair/Bair/Dair/Uair: Sayuri Slash (Hard Corps Uprising) Uses knife (instead of katana) to cut in any 4 directions.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Lol, I love the enthusiasm, but no way is CV more iconic than Metal Gear.
Um, Metal Gear trumps Contra, but it's nowhere as iconic as Castlevania. Metal Gear is pretty much on-par with Touhou, King of Fighters, and Danganronpa.

Might as well share the moveset I had in mind. Or part of.

His neutral, it's all about firing his rifle.

A: Fire on the spot, rotating with the joystick, feet don't move.

Ftilt: You can shoot diagonally down, forward, and diagonally up while moving forward.

Dtilt: Lie on the ground and fire rifle.

Utilt: Deflect (Hard Corps Uprising) with a flick of his hand, he reflects a projectile back at opponent. Deals minor damage on contact with opponent.

Fsmash: Rifle slam
Upsmash: Wolf punch (Hard Corps)
Dsmash: Knife fwd and back

B: Toggle main/secondary weapon.
(Kirby: His jab now shoots like a Bill's main weapon, and B will switch to Bill's secondary from the moment he got absorbed.)

Up+B: Grappling Hook (Contra 4)

Down+B: Radio backup (every x seconds, you can call for a capsule which you have to shoot down to upgrade your rifle. You can only hold 2).

Side+B: Gung Ho Hang On (missile comes from the background, and Bill grabs on to it from below. You can slightly tilt it up or down, and drop down whenever you like. Missile will fall after flying a certain distance)

Aerials:

Nair: Rifle shoot (hold A and tilt joystick to shoot in direction)

Fair/Bair/Dair/Uair: Sayuri Slash (Hard Corps Uprising) Uses knife (instead of katana) to cut in any 4 directions.
Hmm. I always thought that Bill and Lance could use their knives for melee.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You can add me to
It's pretty neat. I wouldn't mind at all if it were the official thing, just have the left shirtless version being his default and make the bandana blue to match his pants and shoes (also make the blue darker), and it's excellent.
I like how the guy even bothered to make the robot from the weird European version of the game, Probotector. Wouldn't be against it being at least one of Bill's alts.

Excellent! Support list, then?

You can add my to the support list if it wasn’t clear already lol.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Um, Metal Gear trumps Contra, but it's nowhere as iconic as Castlevania. Metal Gear is pretty much on-par with Touhou, King of Fighters, and Danganronpa.
Lol, no. I'm not sure what country your from where Metal Gear is on the same level as those franchises, but it sure as **** ain't NA.

The Metal Gear franchise is so iconic that even it's creator is like the 2nd most iconic creator in video games.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well Castlevania used to be massive, but after Symphony, it's popularity plummeted. Metal Gear Solid became the most popular one.

Right now it's probably unquestionably the most popular. Followed by Castlevania.

Then IMO comes Bomberman.
And THEN either Mystical Ninja or Contra.
Popularity does not equal fame/iconicness. And I highly doubt that Mystical Ninja is well known nowadays.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Obviously Metal Gear Solid is Konami’s golden goose. It’s one of the most iconic and revolutionary franchises in gaming. Hell, the “!” sound effect and the game over screens alone are referenced in a countless number of media.
Then IMO comes Bomberman.
And THEN either Mystical Ninja or Contra.
Definitely Contra. Goemon is far too niche.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Popularity does not equal fame/iconicness. And I highly doubt that Mystical Ninja is well known nowadays.
Obviously Metal Gear Solid is Konami’s golden goose. It’s one of the most iconic and revolutionary franchises in gaming. Hell, the “!” sound effect and the game over screens alone are referenced in a countless number of media.

Most likely Contra then. I'm only uncertain on Mystical Ninja because I'm ignorant to its fan base in Japan, maybe it's low-key huge? Or at least that's the impression I get from Konami pushing for Goemon, you know? Maybe that's just regional bias, and Contra is definitely more popular.

In any cases I don't think Contra has any content in Smash currently, right? That certainly gives us the upper hand (if the Goemon and Bomberman Mii costume wasn't enough).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And what or who is "NA"?
North America.

You thinking KoF and Metal Gear are on the same level made me think you might be from South America.

Popularity does not equal fame/iconicness.
It...kinda does? Fame/iconicness is just recognizability. Popularity is just positive recognizability.

So unless you're arguing that Castlevania is famous for being terrible, it's not more iconic than Metal Gear.

Not too niche for a Mii Costume!

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I feel Smash is in need of a beefed up, testosterone fueled, macho Bro-dude already.

Contra and Double Dragon immediately come to mind.

And if either of these get included, I really hope they bring their respective 2P along.
(Bill + Lance alt, and Billy + Jimmy both using their respective names too).

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Not only does Contra not even have a Mii costume, they don't even have a generic soldier costume you could pretend was the Contra guys. That just feels wrong.
Not at all, if there’s one thing Contra deserves is a playable character on the roster so for all we know, the absence of Contra content in Smash Brothers might be good news.
Plus I can’t pretend that Mii Costumes are acceptable, since imo they’re like the most pathetic excuse for a consolation prize.

I feel Smash is in need of a beefed up, testosterone fueled, macho Bro-dude already.

Contra and Double Dragon immediately come to mind.

And if either of these get included, I really hope they bring their respective 2P along.
(Bill + Lance alt, and Billy + Jimmy both using their respective names too).
If you’re going with that category then don’t forget the Battletoads with Rash + Zitz (4 alts), and maybe Pimple can cameo in their Final Smash. But yeah, imo Lance should occupy at least 4 of Bill’s alts, like Alph.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Not at all, if there’s one thing Contra deserves is a playable character on the roster so for all we know, the absence of Contra content in Smash Brothers might be good news.
Plus I can’t pretend that Mii Costumes are acceptable, since imo they’re like the most pathetic excuse for a consolation prize.

If you’re going with that category then don’t forget the Battletoads with Rash + Zitz (4 alts), and maybe Pimple can cameo in their Final Smash. But yeah, imo Lance should occupy at least 4 of Bill’s alts, like Alph.
At some point the Battletoads were among my most wanted and I still want them in. I just see them very unlikely after 2 MS reps. Especially after Banjo.
But still, would be fantastic. Some kind of Greninja + Incineroar hybrid. And like you said, Rash with Pimple on the same slot, different colors. And Pimple in the final smash. 🤩

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I absolutely would rather have Mii costumes than get nothing.

Sure, Ryu Hayabusa, Bill Rizer and Kunio are 3 of my most wanted characters, but I would absolutely understand if they got in as a Swordfighter, Gunner and Brawler for now.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I absolutely would rather have Mii costumes than get nothing.

Sure, Ryu Hayabusa, Bill Rizer and Kunio are 3 of my most wanted characters, but I would absolutely understand if they got in as a Swordfighter, Gunner and Brawler for now.
Like all mii costumes, Ryu (Ninja Gaiden), Bill (Contra), and Kunio (Kunio-Kun) can work for all mii fighter types. Speaking of mii costumes, I would love to have Yugioh mii costumes without any Yugioh characters because Yugioh is owned by Konami.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
At some point the Battletoads were among my most wanted and I still want them in. I just see them very unlikely after 2 MS reps. Especially after Banjo.
But still, would be fantastic. Some kind of Greninja + Incineroar hybrid. And like you said, Rash with Pimple on the same slot, different colors. And Pimple in the final smash. 🤩
Battletoads are my brother’s most wanted. I think they would also be amazing in Smash. I’m also fine with scaling down Pimple so he works as an alt (and scaling up Rash). Ideally, they would find a middle ground in their sizes and base them all on Zitz. All three played exactly the same and were the same size in Battletoads and Double Dragon so I don’t think it would be much of an issue. It wouldn’t be much different than having PoR and RD Ike as alts of each other.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So what do you all imagine Bil Rizer's trailer to be like? I'll start:

This will be a sequel to Hero's trailer. We see that the Heroes are exhausted and surrounded by enemies. As a group of Dharkon's minions begin to charge at them, a bunch of bullet pellets appear from off-screen and hit them, knocking them back. The camera then cuts to a guy's boots as he runs around the battlefield. We see groups of enemies be taken out by spread shots, lasers, grenades, etc. Meanwhile, the person, who is covered in shadows from the camera's view, keeps jumping and shooting while avoiding projectiles. Finally, he jumps right in front of the camera with his back turned. He twirls his gun then turns around with his gun aimed. The splash card then pops up: Bill Rizer Shoots Up A Storm! as the Jungle theme starts playing.

Also, I just realized after all this time that I'm not on the supporters list. Please add me. I've become a Contra fanboy.

Oddball

Smash Lord
So what do you all imagine Bil Rizer's trailer to be like? I'll start:

This will be a sequel to Hero's trailer. We see that the Heroes are exhausted and surrounded by enemies. As a group of Dharkon's minions begin to charge at them, a bunch of bullet pellets appear from off-screen and hit them, knocking them back. The camera then cuts to a guy's boots as he runs around the battlefield. We see groups of enemies be taken out by spread shots, lasers, grenades, etc. Meanwhile, the person, who is covered in shadows from the camera's view, keeps jumping and shooting while avoiding projectiles. Finally, he jumps right in front of the camera with his back turned. He twirls his gun then turns around with his gun aimed. The splash card then pops up: Bill Rizer Shoots Up A Storm! as the Jungle theme starts playing.

Also, I just realized after all this time that I'm not on the supporters list. Please add me. I've become a Contra fanboy.
While I like the general idea, I'd swap out Hero for Solid Snake and maybe Samus. It's the same general idea, but those characters fit in better with Bill.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Well it seems Sakurai revealed that duo characters must have a simplistic cartoony design in order to work properly in Smash, which is why he didn’t do that with Pyra/Mythra, so now we know that if Bill and Lance ever come to the roster, they’ll either be pallet swaps or in-game swaps and definitely not a duo fighter (which I’m personally very ok with) given their realistic/detailed appearances.
supports bill for smash :)
Added. Haven’t been here recently so apologies for the delay.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in! I'd love to see a Contra character get into Smash, with their own stage that has music from the Contra series. Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear a Smash Remix of the Jungle theme from Contra 1.
I’d especially love to have music from Contra: Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra in Smash, including these masterpieces:

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well it seems Sakurai revealed that duo characters must have a simplistic cartoony design in order to work properly in Smash, which is why he didn’t do that with Pyra/Mythra, so now we know that if Bill and Lance ever come to the roster, they’ll either be pallet swaps or in-game swaps and definitely not a duo fighter (which I’m personally very ok with) given their realistic/detailed appearances.

Added. Haven’t been here recently so apologies for the delay.
I don’t think they were ever going to be duo characters. You only ever controlled one character at a time in their games so an Ice Climber style doesn’t really make much sense. I think they would almost definitely be palate swaps since Bill and Lance play exactly the same.

Top Bottom